WIP - On a hiding to nothing



  • TapiocaTundraTapiocaTundra Posts: 268
    edited December 1969

    That will be my preference also

  • RedSquareRedSquare Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

    As I'm on walk about at the moment, I can not work on the inside of the recreational pod so I thought I would have a little tinker on the outside of the main ship.

    Did a small upgrade to the look of the EMS array but for some reason my UV didn't come out quite as it should have done so I shall have to redo that on my return over the weekend.

    I have yet to make up my mind on the overall colour of the ship and I have not added the thousands of windows it still needs.

    2000 x 1500 - 626K
  • RedSquareRedSquare Posts: 0
    edited May 2013

    Having decided to check out why my UV's didn't quite come out as I was expecting, I discovered not only had some of my shaders gone walkabout as well as yours truly, but the model itself as far as the constituent parts within the file were in a total mess.

    So I spent two thirds of the weekend copying; deleting; pasting; welding and reapplying shaders. But the result is amongst practical advantages for when I render, that I also reduced the size of the ship from 22.6 Mb down to 9.76Mb; which I needed to do as pod I planted is approximately 128 ~ 256Mb.

    So for a brief change I thought I would do one more nocturnal render.

    2000 x 1169 - 606K
    Post edited by RedSquare on
  • RedSquareRedSquare Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

    Sooo, I was reflecting on the image with the moon and thought I wonder if I can alter the image into a hdri. so that I can get the reflections of the stars etc in the dome windows and, more to the point improve the overall illumination so that it looks like the ship is surrounded by the background rather than in front of it, if you know what I mean.

    Well although it may be a pseudo hdri, none the less one can save ones rendered images in Kerkythea as hdri's if one wishes. Worth a try I thought – load model & background image, then delete model and render.

    Using my 64 bit version ~ not a known extension ? Odd I thought, so changed to my 32 bit version ~ success :D B U T if I tried to make another file ~ crash. Reboot whole computer = success; repeat another one ~ crash. Okeeey, it will take a bit longer than planned, but seemingly doable. So I did.

    So the first two examples are using the .jpg/.png in the standard fit to view background with two fill coloured spot lights.

    The next pair are using the newly created .hdri versions as a background also in the standard option fit to view.

    What's the betting I upload these in the wrong order. :cheese:

    1600 x 1200 - 701K
    1600 x 1200 - 611K
    1600 x 1200 - 637K
    1600 x 1200 - 615K
  • RedSquareRedSquare Posts: 0
    edited May 2013

    I next tried the sky probe option.

    The next two using the spherical sky dome option.

    The last example I changed the material for the ship to Silver. Not a silver colour but an accurate representation of silver developed from the ior and kn stats employed to make the original Kerky material found in the metal ashikhmin mlt library as I'm using an unbiased engine to render these images.

    This did nothing for the fill spots as all you can see of these now, are the reflection of the spot lights themselves. That said the material did react somewhat better to the illumination from the surrounding hdri.

    Wrong material but encouraging results that I shall investigate further later.

    Edit: Oh for heavens sake; I told you I would load these up the wrong way and, I did. These are all totally back to front. :lol:

    1600 x 1200 - 414K
    1600 x 1200 - 469K
    1600 x 1200 - 754K
    1600 x 1200 - 608K
    1600 x 1200 - 764K
    Post edited by RedSquare on
Sign In or Register to comment.