Comments

• David BrinnenDavid Brinnen Posts: 3,136
    edited December 1969

And another TA render test.

TA_render_test3.jpg
    750 x 422 - 440K
  • TapiocaTundraTapiocaTundra Posts: 268
    edited December 1969

These are all very impressive maybe this thread should be re-named to "show us your anaglyph" :)

• Rashad CarterRashad Carter Posts: 1,798
    edited December 1969

I wish i had a pair of 3d glasses so I could appreciate all of this. The last render in particular must look amazing in 3d. Cant wait.

edited December 1969

Thank you TapiocaTundra, Rashad. The one that works best for me is the spark plugs. But I suppose it is also a matter of taste. Anyway, to get a pair of 3D glasses, they are pence on the internet - or use sweet wrappers - or try your local cinema if you have one, they might have some left over from an old style 3D film they have shown in the past. Just be sure to get compatible colours, red on the left an cyan on the right.

edited December 1969

Taking the Mesh Exposure Scene from the Bryce Mentoring DVD and shrinking down the 3D lens system to take account of the scale of the objects.

11-2_Object_mesh_expose_example_scene_anaglyph_test1.jpg
    750 x 577 - 550K
  • caravellecaravelle Posts: 2,259
    edited December 1969

I tried all the 3D glasses we have, but they are all cr... I'll buy new ones, because these pictures look great!

edited December 1969

Depth variations.

ex4.jpg
    750 x 562 - 673K
    ex3.jpg
    750 x 562 - 666K
    ex2.jpg
    750 x 562 - 656K
    ex1.jpg
    750 x 562 - 621K
  • HoroHoro Posts: 10,069
    edited December 1969

They all work very well. Awsome examples.

• JamahoneyJamahoney Posts: 1,791
    edited December 1969

Depth increases wonderfully the more one views images 1 to 4 (I nearly had to duck for that last image:)). The strain to eye-adjustment, however, is slightly more pronounced on images 3 and 4, so I would imagine that there might be a limit that one can push this filter to. But that said, we are looking at four images with increasing depth, so, perhaps, it is the changing from looking at one image to the next that is producing the additional eye-strain. A single image, perhaps, with maximum depth, may not be then noticiable?

Jay

edited December 1969

It gets really difficult once the nearest object appears at about 3/5 the distance from the screen to the viewer. The last one in this series protrudes about 2/5 out of the screen. Problem is the eyes have to "toe in" (squint inward) too much and this makes it difficult to get the 3D effect and once we get it, it gets uncomfortable for the eyes - muscle strain.

edited December 1969

Just so. OK, round 2. Same selection as before with increasing depth, however instead of setting the "null" point at the base of the image, it is now set on the nearest object in the image. (Haze colour set to white to make it easier to differentiate between examples).

ex4_2.jpg
    750 x 562 - 656K
    ex3_2.jpg
    750 x 562 - 659K
    ex2_2.jpg
    750 x 562 - 668K
    ex1_2.jpg
    750 x 562 - 628K
    edited June 2012

Receding into the screen is always easier to see, but less spectacular - though your examples are very effective.

Guess I got to contribute a bit, too, else folks think I was lazy. Here is an artefact from MatCreator, an earlier render I converted to an anaglyph - with colours.

VoxMtl01.jpg
    600 x 800 - 129K
    Post edited by Horo on
    edited December 1969

A colour one, using the free content scene provided with Bryce 7 Pro, with modified angles to the ALS to give a greater sense of depth.

Free_content_cloud_over_big_sur_1_3d1.jpg
    750 x 422 - 317K
    edited June 2012

Ah - very nice. Far away, that looks very good, somehow as we would expect if looking at this scene in real life. Less spectacular but more real.

Post edited by Horo on
  • pumecopumeco Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

I think they all look great although I've not been able to enjoy any of them yet. The only 3D glasses I have are the ones I use for the cinema where both lenses are clear. It was mentioned in this thread what type are correct so I'll pick up a pair next time I see some.

I used to have some (out of a cereal packet I think), but haven't a clue if I still have them.

edited December 1969

Thanks well yes, to appreciate the effect you need some red/left and cyan/right glasses. They can be obtained for pence on Amazon. Indeed, they cost more in postage. Alternatively sweet wrappers, which is what I've used in the past. In this image I had to shrink the filter with the camera and widen the angle so it converges on the bottom right hand corner of the image. This is an old scene from Bryce 5 - brought into Bryce 7.1 and anglyphterized or anaglyphizorated or fed through the anaglyph-o-matic 5000 or whatever you wish to to call this system.

Bluebells20_3d1.jpg
    750 x 562 - 989K
    edited June 2012

Of course, the modern-day cinema glasses are using a cross-polarised image technique that is totally different to the normal red/blue glasses required here for David’s and Horo’s images – so incredible a filter, and the best I’ve seen for a long time.

The toy, red/blue glasses usually get over-abused through crinkling, scratching...etc., (have discarded so many) because they are so flexible in their paper/cardboard-make-up. Taking out the polarised cinema lenses and sticking in one of the paper/cardboard ones into their frames to create a much sturdier setup is much better. All fun, of course, however, that aside, here’s a neat trick next time you are at one of those wonderful 3D-polarised cinema pictures while waiting for the feature to start. Hold up your own polarised glasses at arm’s length, grab your partner’s set, too, and while putting the two in alignment with each other towards the blank screen, reverse and rotate your partner’s set from 0 to 90 degrees on one lens only – you’ll notice that it will go from clear to blank-black as you rotate...so cool. I’ve heard that if you make other film-goers (ahem...attractive, girls in the next seat to you) aware of this experiment, they get extremely interested in you and your knowledge. But, I wouldn’t know anything about that pursuit...BASINGA...:)

Jay

3d-glasses.jpg
    338 x 361 - 39K
    Post edited by Jamahoney on
    edited June 2012

@David
    Looking at the picture you just posted, for a moment there I thought you'd found the route to my secret Peasant Girl dungeon on Second Life. If you walk a bit further, just around the hill, you'll find an old building. To get in you just need to type "Peasant Master" into the access point and there you go, a dungeon full of babes just waiting to do as you tell them!

As for the naming, how about calling it the Brinnen & Wernli technique?
    It's something you both developed and it has a nice ring to it.

@Jay
    Interesting stuff, I often go with my sister so I'll have two pairs to check it out next time. Sounds like the clear ones work like a polariser then, or like those variable ND filters. You got me wondering now, if I had two variable ND filters with me, would they work as glasses. It might even be possible to adjust the separation effect.

Post edited by pumeco on
    edited December 1969

@pumeco t
    This polarising effect can be done also by dismantling just the one set of cinema glasses, and rotating, say, the left lens (reversed) in front of the right lens.

@David
    I wonder is it possible to increase the ‘depth’ effect by combining an oncoming depth image to a receding one?

Jay

dav-cop1.jpg
    714 x 507 - 154K
    edited December 1969

Yes, there will be video's to explain every contingency we can think of with respect to depth effect, convergence and scale.

As it happens I'm involved in the installation and looking after of the local cinema's 3D projection system. This is the dolby digital 3D which uses an advanced version of the colour separation method and is superior to old two colour separation and indeed polarisation systems. The new colour uses six filters in rotation and the glasses (which the cinema would not be pleased to see you wandering off with) cost £30 a go and use high quality optical glass which through a series of coatings filter the light accordingly to each eye. The frequencies used add up due to visual latency in each eye to restore the intended colour balance. The only downside is the light efficiency is terrible. Only 30% of the light reaches the viewer. The cinema runs 4k lamps at between 110% to 125% (depending on widescreen or scope) output for 3D while for flat they operate at 70% to 80% which is big difference on the electricity bill. Our system is somewhat simpler and you won't need to fork out 60k on a light engine.

edited December 1969

You get some pretty neat jobs, you'll be a projectionist next week!

edited December 1969

I get whatever jobs I can. The work situation here is pretty bad so it may come to that. I was digging trenches for groundwork last week and installing new toilets. Putting down block paving this week and moving a green house. It's all pretty random. Looks like I'll be changing the lamp in the projector for screen 2 today if the phone call I got last night is anything to go by. So yes, variety if nothing else.

edited December 1969

The work situation here is pretty bad so it may come to that.

Actually, I meant it would be cool to have a job like that, I certainly wouldn't mind a job as a projectionist. You get to play with fancy hardware and watch all the latest stuff for free!
    edited December 1969

It is not like that these days, sorry to say. You man the ticket kiosk, then sell the food and drinks, press a button the start the film, restock what you've sold, sort out the DVD's/video games and then when the films is over clear up the auditorium afterwards ready for the next show. Two screens so there is some overlap. Being a projectionist is not what it used to be. What you mean, I'm guessing, is you want to own a cinema? Long hours in the summer here, Marcus gets in at about 9am and doesn't get home till about 1am. The rest of the year it's pretty dead. Usually 2pm till 12am. Wednesday he does psychic bingo to break the monotony.

edited June 2012

Thanks well yes, to appreciate the effect you need some red/left and cyan/right glasses. They can be obtained for pence on Amazon. Indeed, they cost more in postage. Alternatively sweet wrappers, which is what I've used in the past. In this image I had to shrink the filter with the camera and widen the angle so it converges on the bottom right hand corner of the image. This is an old scene from Bryce 5 - brought into Bryce 7.1 and anglyphterized or anaglyphizorated or fed through the anaglyph-o-matic 5000 or whatever you wish to to call this system.

«Woodlands (blue bell version)» submitted to bryce5.com on 1st April 2004. Still a beautiful image and fit to "anaglyphise". Great example! If I remember correctly, you had complained at the time that your computer crashed several times because of the trees. Good to see that your patience wasn't in vain.

EDIT: Here's the link to the original http://www.bryce5.com/details.php?image_id=42 which is worth to have a look at.

Post edited by Horo on
  • ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

I agree that is a nice image.

edited June 2012

@David
    Your cinema sounds quite different to the one I use, yours sounds more like a smaller locally run business. The one I use is one of those large Cineworld cinemas with lots of screens and an extra large screen for the ultra popular stuff. It's often packed-out unless it's something that's been showing for a while. If the people there had to do all the different jobs yours do, I doubt they'd be able to cope - lol

But yup, I suppose it's not quite as I imagine it. Mind you, I even think standing guard or keeping an eye on things while films are showing would be a nice job to have. Can't imagine the pay would be much, but I like the idea of spending the working day in a cinema environment.

Post edited by pumeco on
  • edited December 1969

Oldie but a goodie.
    I found my old Bryce files and am attempting to re-render the scenes to a higher resolution.
    It's been a long time, but got back into the Bryce groove pretty quickly.
    I hope to re-up the new animation in a couple weeks…
    Edit: OOPS, I thought I was posting in the "Show Us Your Bryce Renders!" thread…
    Sorry…

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vQwYQ1Yga_k

• edited December 1969

Oldie but a goodie.
    I found my old Bryce files and am attempting to re-render the scenes to a higher resolution.
    It’s been a long time, but got back into the Bryce groove pretty quickly.
    I hope to re-up the new animation in a couple weeks…
    I apologize for posting as a new topic. I meant to post it here…

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vQwYQ1Yga_k

• IanTPIanTP Posts: 1,326
    edited December 1969

Hehehe, be gentle, new at this :)

Large size - http://fav.me/d54oyaq
    Tut - http://deviantvicky.deviantart.com/art/Bryce-Abstract-Tutorial-Part-1-157024205

Thanks for looking :)

abstract2_WM_daz.jpg
    800 x 500 - 255K
This discussion has been closed.