Luxus discussion

Comments

• SzarkSzark Posts: 10,634
    edited December 1969

Slosh said:
    Thanks, Szark! It is disturbing, yet somehow does not seem as feminine as it was intended. And, (I can't believe I'm about to admit this) having modeled my wife's undies for her on occasion, it feels oddly familiar. :red:
    Oh a real man, welcome to the club. I just hope when you were modeling the undies you weren't in the shop at the time. LOL
  • Herald of FireHerald of Fire Posts: 3,504
    edited December 1969

The only time I wore my girlfriends underwear was getting dressed afterwards and picking up the wrong pair. I stopped myself halfway when I realised it was a bit more silky than I was used to :D

Just as well really, as I don't think I'd wear it half as well as your image!

edited December 1969

Oh man what have we started. Anymore want to scare, I mean share?

• Daz Jack TomalinDaz Jack Tomalin Posts: 13,120
    edited December 1969

The only time I wore my girlfriends underwear was getting dressed afterwards and picking up the wrong pair. I stopped myself halfway when I realised it was a bit more silky than I was used to :D

Oh that old excuse ;) (used it myself, actually.. lol)

• Joe CotterJoe Cotter Posts: 3,259
    edited December 1969

Bea said:
    Hellboy that is incredible :)

On another note can anyone give any suggestions for eye setting?

Personally, I like to put them someplace clean and dry, where they won't roll away if where they are at gets bumped... ;p

Actually, when I was playing with it the thing I found was that not forgetting the other areas around the eye like turning the tear area to glass, tweeking the lacrimal, helped in bringing up the quality quite a bit in closeups. I played with glass also on the other parts also (cornea, iris, sclera) also but don't remember what worked/didn't because was just playing at that point. I do remember that turning the iris to glass gave me some strange reflections in some cases similar to what would happen irl but not necessarily quite the same. Overall, I found playing with the eye quite fun. I just hope it's not a case where I kick myself later for not documenting some of what I found the first go-round.

edited December 1969

Oh that old excuse ;) (used it myself, actually.. lol)bites tongue and runs away

• SphericLabsSphericLabs Posts: 598
    edited December 1969

Kerya said:
    Bea said:

The only thing I could find in this thread:
    Glass is a reflective/refractive transparent material…it works well for the cornea/eye surface (on older generation figures).

Select the cornea and or eye surface run use the Glass2 - Blue Glass shader preset. The density of the blue particles is very faint on small objects.

Or you can download this Luxus Glass2 - Clear shader preset, because the one included is broken
    -> http://sphericlabs.com/scratch/Glass2-Clear.zip

• ArtiniArtini Posts: 8,787
    edited December 1969

Are there any special steps needed to get DOF on the camera in Luxus?
    I have set up DOF on the camera in Daz Studio, but when rendered with Luxus in LuxRender the DOF is not there.
    Please give me some directions about how to manage this problem.

• jax_512b7aea09jax_512b7aea09 Posts: 61
    edited December 1969

Artini said:
    Are there any special steps needed to get DOF on the camera in Luxus?
    I have set up DOF on the camera in Daz Studio, but when rendered with Luxus in LuxRender the DOF is not there.
    Please give me some directions about how to manage this problem.

First, make sure you are using the most recent version of Luxus; DOF didn't work before 1.0.0.4. Next, ignore the DOF guide in Studio, as it is not realistic. If you set the f/stop high enough to get the depth you want in Studio, it will be way too wide in LuxRender, and most likely the entire scene will be in focus. Generally f/2 will be very narrow and f/22 will be very wide.
    edited December 1969

Thanks for the explanation, Mordur. Yes, I am using Luxus version 1.0.0.4. I only wonder if I can use DOF guide in Daz Studio
    to find out the area I want to be in focus, and then change f/stop in Lux during rendering.

edited December 1969

I have made a test scene in Daz Studio with Horse 2 and then sent it to LuxRender via Luxus.
    Then in LuxRender, I have choosen f-stop 22

Horse2sc07fs22at29m367_79SpSCR.jpg
    1919 x 1159 - 475K
    Horse2sc07fs22at29m367_79Sp.jpg
    1000 x 1000 - 436K
    edited April 2013

... and next f-stop 2, but could not see any difference in DOF. More exactly I do not see any Depth Of Field effect at all.
    What am I doing wrong - any ideas?

Horse2sc07fs2at53m670_42SpSCR.jpg
    1914 x 1157 - 479K
    Horse2sc07fs2at53m670_42Sp.jpg
    1000 x 1000 - 444K
    Post edited by Artini on
  • SloshSlosh Posts: 2,391
    edited December 1969

Sheesh, what have I started? Granted, this all happened 17 years ago, and I didn't look quite that good then, and I definitely would not now.

Anyway, Bea... here are the eye settings I labored over last night, and I think they look pretty stunning even in close-ups. I used a single Luxus area light in the scene below, but I tested it with the 2 area light preset included with Luxus and they look great there, too.

I think my skin is improving, but I had some issues where the scattering settings did not seem to have any effect. I'm sure I am missing something, but I had to go to work therefore had to quit testing. The render below was with one area light. It render for 11 hours while I was at work, but I am sure it was done well before that.

Skin_11hrs_4.94kS_.jpg
    550 x 800 - 105K
    SloshEyeSettings.jpg
    1080 x 851 - 525K
    edited December 1969

Artini, you are welcome to zip up the .lxs file and PM a link to it and I will take a look. Also a screenshot of the camera you are rendering through and a screenshot of your entire DAZ Studio UI would be helpful.

• millighostmillighost Posts: 261
    edited December 1969

Artini said:
    ... and next f-stop 2, but could not see any difference in DOF. More exactly I do not see any Depth Of Field effect at all.

You need to set the f/stop and distance in the camera settings in DAZStudio; the f/Stop in the luxrender gui is only for tonemapping. You have to create a camera for this if you have not already done so (depth of field does not work with the preview cameras, because they do not have these parameters).

lux-focus.jpg
    856 x 671 - 54K
  • RenpatsuRenpatsu Posts: 828
    edited December 1969

Artini said:

Like millighost said, from the LuxRender Wiki:

Changing the F/stop setting inside the Tone Mapping panel in LuxRender will only effect overall exposure, and will not change the actual depth of field of the rendered image. To affect the depth of field in the render, the f/stop setting must be set inside of your exporter.

http://www.luxrender.net/wiki/LuxRender_Tone_mapping

So the tonemapping f-stop should only affect exposure and not DoF. The f-stop value of the camera setting should be transferred as DoF f-stop to LuxRender, but it is a bit fiddly, as the Daz Studio values are basically unrealistic. So good values for 3Delight might yield bad results for LuxRender.

• BeaBea Posts: 743
    edited December 1969

Slosh said:
    Sheesh, what have I started? Granted, this all happened 17 years ago, and I didn't look quite that good then, and I definitely would not now.

Anyway, Bea... here are the eye settings I labored over last night, and I think they look pretty stunning even in close-ups. I used a single Luxus area light in the scene below, but I tested it with the 2 area light preset included with Luxus and they look great there, too.

I think my skin is improving, but I had some issues where the scattering settings did not seem to have any effect. I'm sure I am missing something, but I had to go to work therefore had to quit testing. The render below was with one area light. It render for 11 hours while I was at work, but I am sure it was done well before that.

• FusionLAFusionLA Posts: 249
    edited December 1969

Kerya said:
    Bea said:

The only thing I could find in this thread:
    Glass is a reflective/refractive transparent material…it works well for the cornea/eye surface (on older generation figures).

Select the cornea and or eye surface run use the Glass2 - Blue Glass shader preset. The density of the blue particles is very faint on small objects.

Or you can download this Luxus Glass2 - Clear shader preset, because the one included is broken
    -> http://sphericlabs.com/scratch/Glass2-Clear.zip

Thanks for posting this.
    I read through the Luxus guide and never even knew there where shader presets for Luxus (I see it now in DAZ Store for what's included).
    Good to know and opens up a lot of possibilities for presets. (LuxRender Materials database?)

• KeryaKerya Posts: 10,943
    edited December 1969

fusionla said:

Thanks for posting this.
    I read through the Luxus guide and never even knew there where shader presets for Luxus (I see it now in DAZ Store for what's included).
    Good to know and opens up a lot of possibilities for presets. (LuxRender Materials database?)

From somewhere else in this thread (Quoting my own question - the answer is not from me):
    a question: is there a possibility to add lxm and lbm LuxRender materials somehow?
    http://www.luxrender.net/en_GB/lrmdb2
    http://www.luxrender.net/lrmdb/en/category/material/view/13
    A simple step by step tutorial on the howto would be nice.

1) Download the LXM file for the material you want to add.
    2) Open the file in a text editor like Notepad and look for the line beginning ‘MakeNamedMaterial’
    3) At the end of the text add the line ‘NamedMaterial “material_name”’ where material_name is the material named listed under

“MakeNamedMaterial”
    4) Copy the entire material including the line you added.
    5) Paste it into the Luxrender Extra Settings option in Daz Studio.
    6) Render

• Herald of FireHerald of Fire Posts: 3,504
    edited December 1969

Kerya said:
    fusionla said:

Thanks for posting this.

From somewhere else in this thread (Quoting my own question - the answer is not from me):
    a question: is there a possibility to add lxm and lbm LuxRender materials somehow?
    http://www.luxrender.net/en_GB/lrmdb2
    http://www.luxrender.net/lrmdb/en/category/material/view/13
    A simple step by step tutorial on the howto would be nice.

1) Download the LXM file for the material you want to add.
    2) Open the file in a text editor like Notepad and look for the line beginning ‘MakeNamedMaterial’
    3) At the end of the text add the line ‘NamedMaterial “material_name”’ where material_name is the material named listed under

“MakeNamedMaterial”
    4) Copy the entire material including the line you added.
    5) Paste it into the Luxrender Extra Settings option in Daz Studio.
    6) Render

As an addendum to that, if the material you're using is a mix material (as many of the more advanced ones are) you'll want the LAST listed 'MakeNamedMaterial' line before you add the NamedMaterial line.
  • SloshSlosh Posts: 2,391
    edited December 1969

This is the same scene, but with tweaks to the skin settings.

d79.jpg
    550 x 800 - 168K
    edited December 1969

Thanks for all the help about DOF in Lux, millighost, SphericLabs and Renpatsu.
    I have not imagined, that the F/Stop in Daz Studio camera need to be so small (0.3)
    to see the effect in Lux. It looks like F/Stop for Lux need to be at least 10 times smaller
    than when rendering with 3Delight in Daz Studio.
    Now I can proceed with further discovering features of Luxus and Lux.

Sadie02pic01at30m348_38SpScr.jpg
    1276 x 982 - 346K
    Sadie02pic01at30m348_38SpCam.jpg
    1278 x 980 - 335K
    Sadie02pic01at30m348_38Sp.jpg
    750 x 970 - 278K
  • Joe CotterJoe Cotter Posts: 3,259
    edited December 1969

Thanks Artini, without this I probably would have just thought f/stop was broken in Lux.

• SotoSoto Posts: 1,437
    edited December 1969

Yes, the F/Stop of the camera must be set to a very low value, around 0.30
    I think I used 0.5 for the Buddah, not sure.

Does someone knows if the displacement maps color must be inverted? Someone at Deviant is PM me because the veins in her characters indeed looks like carved.
    I did many things to the displacement map on the snake guy, I don't remember if set it to negative at some point.
    I'd like to know too. :)

• ketthroveketthrove Posts: 63
    edited December 1969

Hellboy said:
    Yes, the F/Stop of the camera must be set to a very low value, around 0.30
    I think I used 0.5 for the Buddah, not sure.

Does someone knows if the displacement maps color must be inverted? Someone at Deviant is PM me because the veins in her characters indeed looks like carved.
    I did many things to the displacement map on the snake guy, I don't remember if set it to negative at some point.
    I'd like to know too. :)

I would ask what version of Luxrender they were using. The displacement inverted somwhere in the 1-1.2 time. So if they have the old version it may invert on them.

edited December 1969

With LuxRender 1.2, displacement direction switched, so be sure your version is 1.2 or higher.

• SotoSoto Posts: 1,437
    edited December 1969

Thanks!
    As soon as I post the question I remembered something about this was updated and thought it could be that.
    She must be using an older version. I'll let her now.

:D

edited December 1969

It could be I got it wrong, but I think I got it right.

• Jeanne MJeanne M Posts: 652
    edited December 1969

It could be I got it wrong, but I think I got it right.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
  • FusionLAFusionLA Posts: 249
    edited December 1969

Artini said:
    Thanks for all the help about DOF in Lux, millighost, SphericLabs and Renpatsu.
    I have not imagined, that the F/Stop in Daz Studio camera need to be so small (0.3)
    to see the effect in Lux. It looks like F/Stop for Lux need to be at least 10 times smaller
    than when rendering with 3Delight in Daz Studio.
    Now I can proceed with further discovering features of Luxus and Lux.

That is one of the things that would be nice in Luxrender if the f-stop worked for true DOF vs just adjusting the tone mapping.
    I like LuxReeder for the real time feed back of adjusting lights, too bad there is none for DOF like Octane Render does.

This discussion has been closed.