Post Your Renders - #4: A New Hope

Comments

• SockrateaseSockratease Posts: 813
    edited April 2013

I love using volumetric clouds for fogs and the like! They're great for changing the depth of a scene. TiP: Try changing the colors of the clouds to get cool effects!

Fire works well that way too (and saves on render time). Making it odd colors and really big, it makes the blue stuff in the sky behind Bessy.

portrait2hair.jpg
    1600 x 1200 - 428K
    Post edited by Sockratease on
  • DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,187
    edited December 1969

Rhiana said:
    Wow thank you DartanBeck :-)
    So I haven't been too far away getting my own multi-level terrain.

Btw. I use plenty of the Carrara native content :D I love the frog, the slink and the butterflies and that nice candle, too.
    Also I am playing with the basic clouds, seeing if I can use some of them as "fog". For now the small cotton cloud is my favorite.

Yeah... I like playing around with everything and anything I can find :)
    Glad you're having fun with it. I try video games once in a great while, only to find that... nah... take me back to Carrara! :)
    It's not that they're not fun or cool... or their plot isn't right, or... it's just that I'd rather play in Carrara. More fun!
    edited December 1969

Sockratease,
    those are some nice psychedelics, man! Great effect!
    Hi Bessy!

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,040
    edited December 1969

Here's another angle of my Renaissance village scene with a couple other items thrown in to flesh it out. So far Carrara hasn't ground to a halt, so eventually I'll get some people action in there.

I really like how my crumbled stone fence looks. It's six different Metaball primitives with procedural shaders which I duplicated and grouped into a wall section. I also added some Metaballs with fur for moss. I'm so happy with how they turned out, I may throw them up on ShareCG to share. I've also been working on a Weeping Willow (not visible in scene and not in replicator) that I may put up as well if I can get it looking good enough.

Village_3.jpg
    2000 x 1500 - 3M
  • HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,922
    edited December 1969

great work Evil, that's a fine idea about the metaballs and moss. thanks for sharing that!

• GarstorGarstor Posts: 1,411
    edited December 1969

Awesome stuff EP! I knew you'd mould that into a masterpiece.

• KharmaKharma Posts: 3,214
    edited December 1969

your village looks great evilproducer.....its amazing what you can do in this program

• scottidog2scottidog2 Posts: 319
    edited April 2013

deleted

Post edited by scottidog2 on
    edited December 1969

head wax said:
    great work Evil, that's a fine idea about the metaballs and moss. thanks for sharing that!

It's really quite a nice effect. I created a spline object for the reproductive part of the moss with shaded with a color gradient and an elevation/height function in the color channel and copied to to the translucency channel. The light cone in this image was a postwork effect as the moss is hair and as we all know, hair and light cones don't work well together.

Moss.jpg
    2000 x 1500 - 985K
    edited December 1969

@Kharma, Headwax and Garstor,

Thanks for the nice compliments! I'm making some tree billboards to use in the tree replicator to see if I can lighten the load on the scene. I'd really love to get some figures in there and I'm afraid I'm going to gobble up my resources just on the "set."

edited December 1969

head wax said:

It's really quite a nice effect. I created a spline object for the reproductive part of the moss with shaded with a color gradient and an elevation/height function in the color channel and copied to to the translucency channel. The light cone in this image was a postwork effect as the moss is hair and as we all know, hair and light cones don't work well together.
    You really made a... a spline reproductive part?
    What did you do with that?
    Question for entertainment purposes only. No answer required :)

edited December 1969

head wax said:

You really made a... a spline reproductive part?
    What did you do with that?
    Question for entertainment purposes only. No answer required :)

Don't tell anybody, but the tip was bulbous and red... :red: :gulp:

edited December 1969

Good God, Man! Thank goodness for the green growing stuff all over it! lol
    Okay, funniness aside, that is some beautiful moss. One thing that really sets some of my natural stone walls apart from others, is that I take the time to harvest sheets of moss from the forest, and plant it into the stones - where I already know it will like it. It started with my mentor teaching me to use buttermilk and moss spores. Mix well in an ordinary spray bottle and mist it onto the wall. Where it strives well, it will grow. Where it doesn't, it won't. Pretty cool effect. The stuff that lies in really moist locales looks just like that which you've made.

edited April 2013

Good God, Man! Thank goodness for the green growing stuff all over it! lol
    Okay, funniness aside, that is some beautiful moss. One thing that really sets some of my natural stone walls apart from others, is that I take the time to harvest sheets of moss from the forest, and plant it into the stones - where I already know it will like it. It started with my mentor teaching me to use buttermilk and moss spores. Mix well in an ordinary spray bottle and mist it onto the wall. Where it strives well, it will grow. Where it doesn't, it won't. Pretty cool effect. The stuff that lies in really moist locales looks just like that which you've made.

I love a good carpet moss! I've lived in spots where there would be a sheltered outcrop and you could take your shoes and socks off, because as you pointed out, it's pretty moist. But, walking barefoot on that stuff is so nice.

Post edited by evilproducer on
  • WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,786
    edited April 2013

clumps of moss fall off my tiled roof regulary
    the roof restorer salespeople make a beeline for my door suggesting high pressure cleaning and sealing like my neighbours pristine roofs
    . . . . and look aghast when I say I like the lichen and moss, it looks quaint and rustic %-P

Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on
  • VarselVarsel Posts: 574
    edited December 1969

Here's my latest wallpaper.
    I'm heavily inspired by Koukotsu's Mulberry renders, but have a long way to go before I'm even close....

PowerPuff girls, or "how to get Dad to watch TV with the children"

This is Genesis.
    But the only way I could get it to work was to use DazStudio as a plugin for Carrara.
    Set the figures up in Studio, pose, then export out as a .obj.
    Import into Carrara, and rebuild the shaders.

Doc2smal.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 343K
  • bighbigh Posts: 8,147
    edited December 1969

Varsel said:
    I'm heavily inspired by Koukotsu's Mulberry renders, but have a long way to go before I'm even close....

PowerPuff girls, or "how to get Dad to watch TV with the children"

This is Genesis.
    But the only way I could get it to work was to use DazStudio as a plugin for Carrara.
    Set the figures up in Studio, pose, then export out as a .obj.
    Import into Carrara, and rebuild the shaders.

good one - like the idea

edited December 1969

bigh said:
    Varsel said:

good one - like the ideaYeah, me too. The white nothingness with their environment spilling onto it has a great look to it.

edited December 1969

I never know where to post most of my art...

This was made using Carrara. And Incendia. And Mandelbulb3D. And ULead Photo Impact. And Infranview.

I can't limit myself to one program or my art may actually look nice.

Anyway - it sure looks like this Cow travels in style! I want to give that thing a test drive one day...

cow-in-knot.jpg
    1280 x 960 - 467K
    edited December 1969

I never know where to post most of my art...

This was made using Carrara. And Incendia. And Mandelbulb3D. And ULead Photo Impact. And Infranview.

I can't limit myself to one program or my art may actually look nice.

Anyway - it sure looks like this Cow travels in style! I want to give that thing a test drive one day...

I'm not sure if cow is traveling, but it sure is trippin'! ;-) Great job! Very abstract!

edited December 1969

Thankies %-P

I assure the Cow is traveling! That must be an inter-dimensional transport of some kind. Or perhaps a Vimana.

I like combining Non-Photoreal and Photoreal layers using odd blend modes, like this background. Carrara's NPR mode is so underused that I doubt it's ever going to get the fixes it needs.

edited December 1969

More of my Renaissance village WIP. I replaced the meta-ball stone fence with a lower res-vertex wall and created the texture completely procedurally. No image maps. It uses displacement and surprisingly I had a pretty decent result almost immediately.

Village_6.jpg
    1200 x 900 - 1M
    edited December 1969

This looks fantastic, EP! That Willow isn't quite as good as your own... but it's still a beautiful tree. Isn't that a willow behind the wall?
    Dude... sweet!

You Sockratease,
    I really enjoy your renders. Too few... too far between. Thanks for the recent flourish. I love colors and shapes... and, yes... I love cows too! lol
    One of my great friends has an actual portrait of a cow in his kitchen. He doesn't know who it was that had the portrait commissioned, but it is perfect to the last detail! Great painting, and it's like 3.5 to 4 feet wide by about 2.5 to 3 feet tall. Plenty of detail.

All cow talk aside, though... I groove on your artistry! :)

edited December 1969

This looks fantastic, EP! That Willow isn't quite as good as your own... but it's still a beautiful tree. Isn't that a willow behind the wall?
    Dude... sweet!

You Sockratease,
    I really enjoy your renders. Too few... too far between. Thanks for the recent flourish. I love colors and shapes... and, yes... I love cows too! lol
    One of my great friends has an actual portrait of a cow in his kitchen. He doesn't know who it was that had the portrait commissioned, but it is perfect to the last detail! Great painting, and it's like 3.5 to 4 feet wide by about 2.5 to 3 feet tall. Plenty of detail.

All cow talk aside, though... I groove on your artistry! :)

I wish I could say that wasn't my Weeping Willow, but it is. It's been difficult to get the draping branches. Add some curvature to the branches, mix in some elasticity and a pinch of increased gravity and you get one depressed looking tree- droopy depressed, not weeping....

edited December 1969

I like combining Non-Photoreal and Photoreal layers using odd blend modes, like this background. Carrara's NPR mode is so underused that I doubt it's ever going to get the fixes it needs.

I like how you do that, too. I do try the NPR every now and again. I keep getting frustrated with it - mostly I think because when I have tried it, I didn't have enough time to play long enough. Now that I'm finally a Doggie Waffling post worker, I want to try to find some settings in there that I really like.

Curious... does YaToons want to use that, or the PRR? I finally got that, too. Toon has never really been my thing. But if I can get fast toon animations, I may just try making my animations moving oil paintings using my Doggy Howler. I'll be digging (like a puppy) into this furhter really soon. I still have a pile of video tutorials to finish for that new product I'm now almost done with, then I want to animate for a week and work at night for a change. After that week, however, it's back to the salt mill. But hopefully by then I'll have some fun setting to share :)

This is a render without any post work:

Promo_A2b.jpg
    1280 x 1664 - 2M
  • GarstorGarstor Posts: 1,411
    edited December 1969

That is a spectacular way to show off the product Dart!

edited December 1969

Agreed. Neat concept!

edited December 1969

Whew! (wipes the sweat from his brow)
    Thanks for that! It was a huge PITA to set up just right. I was actually planning to do some post to the resulting image - but when it came time to do so, I changed my mind :)
    See how I made game piece cards out of the presets? :)

edited December 1969

I noticed that. Did you see the little homage to our favorite 3D app. in mine?

edited April 2013

Not at first... hiding it the shadows like that... :)
    I Love it!!! I want a Carrara cube of my own, one day.

Edit: Guess I'll have to buy a Power Mac tower for my next workstation

Post edited by Dartanbeck on
This discussion has been closed.