How long have you been doing 3D?

AngelAngel Posts: 1,200
edited October 2017 in The Commons

So out of curiousity. It's supprising to find out how long someone has been rendering or modeling. Some of these boys n girls go back to the 90's!

So how long have you been at it, and of all your works. What is your personal favorite that youve made?

Me personally, I've been doing 3D stuff since 2012. In the year 2011 I was into my MMORPG games. Never even heard of Daz, or Blender or any of this stuff.

My own personal favorite render that I've made was a toddler named Holly. I just can't seem to top this render... hehe

She is a Genesis 3 Female. Made her in 2015. But this render was done in 2016

https://www.daz3d.com/gallery/images/267116/

Post edited by Angel on

Comments

• alexhcowleyalexhcowley Posts: 2,309

I discovered DAZ Studio and digital art exactly five years ago.  I've been an IT professional for over a third of a century, though!

I haven't an out and out favourite but of my recent stuff I'm particulary pleased with the one below.

Cheers,

Alex.

Hydra Test 1.JPG
    3000 x 1875 - 1M
  • MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675

i started with poser 3. 

i came to daz content after james and jessie 6.  cp closed their forums, i was homeless for a while.cool

• RawArtRawArt Posts: 5,730

My first render at rosity's gallery was with poser...back around 2002

• AngelAngel Posts: 1,200
    edited October 2017
    Mistara said:

i started with poser 3. 

i came to daz content after james and jessie 6.  cp closed their forums, i was homeless for a while.cool

You know whats funny. I have only an hour of experience with Poser. By the time I get into Poser I was too adjusted to Daz. I was set in my ways and had a nice little workflow. I know Poser is a great program I've seen some really neato renders made with it. Especially Reality/Lux + Poser. But I will probably never pick it up unless they do something amazing with Poser that Daz hasnt. But with iRay... I think Elvis has left the stage.

Post edited by Angel on
  • AllenArtAllenArt Posts: 7,140

I discovered Vue d'Esprit 2 in 1997 and Poser 4 shortly thereafter. Was a member of Rendo from day one and also a member of it's predecessor, Poser Forum Online. Been hanging around a lot longer than I care to admit sometimes ;).

Laurie

• nemesis10nemesis10 Posts: 3,238

I had to peek: Poser 1 (Fractal Design), early 1996

• glaseyeglaseye Posts: 1,305
    edited October 2017

Started in 2007, first with DS1.4, a little later with Poser 7 and Vue 6, now it's mostly DS4.x, but the poser/vue combo is my favorite when it comes to large scale scenery.... (haven't made that in a while now). A bit like Mistara, for me, when the Faeriewylde forums closed, I felt a bit homeless. Hard to pick a true favorite. So I'll go for an 'oldie'

Post edited by glaseye on
  • SpitSpit Posts: 2,342

Almost 30 years counting Imagine on the Amiga. Got Bryce the day it came out for Windows (end of '95?), got Poser a few months later.

• I think it was 2003. Rainbow Six: Raven Shield came with a level editor that I never actually made anything playable on, just used it to build and light architecture and landscapes. From there I moved to Terragen and from there to Bryce when DAZ had it free in 2006. After that it was really easy to get hooked on Studio. It was such a great time for it with all the free stuff Aery Soul was putting out and DAZ starting to move towards releasing more base figures for free.

The first render I made I had no idea preset poses were a thing, so I posed the model entirely by hand, by dial spinning. And I had no idea clothes fitting was a thing, so I posed her clothes entirely by hand too. I wish I still had that picture.

I think my favorite is still this, it's old but really fun and dynamic. https://agentunawares.deviantart.com/art/Skirts-1-212460462

• FSMCDesignsFSMCDesigns Posts: 12,518

Since around 2000 I got a video game for my new PC and after playing thru it found a huge online community for the series and learned to model and mod. I discovered Poser around 11 years ago when I was developing for the SIMS2 and have been rendering since, LOL.

• I started computer graphics in 1984 on a BBC Model B, using a lot of graph paper to draw 3D objects, the drawing them on the computer as X,Y coordinates using MOVE and DRAW commands.  But my first real introduction to computer graphics was with Imagine and Vistapro on an Amiga 1200 in the early 1990's.  I got my first pc in 1996 and managed to get a version of Imagine for it.  I got a copy of Poser (version 1) free with a magazine, and then version 3.  Because I finally had a job and some money, I bought Poser 5 in 2004 and of course the place to be was Daz with their superb Victoria 3 and Michael 3.  Since then I've gone to Poser 6, 7, 2010, 2012, 2014 and Poser 11 Pro.  Also in that time Vue 4, Vue 6, Vue 7 Infinite and I'm now fairly settled with Vue 11 Complete.  Although I've tried several version of Daz Studio since the first beta versions, I have never been able to get to grips with the interface (especially the content manager) - until version 4.9.  I tried it a couple of months ago and it suddenly seemed a lot easier.

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604

1997    Bryce 2, first stable release on windoze.

• Chohole said:

1997    Bryce 2, first stable release on windoze.

I'd forgotten about Bryce.  I got my first copy of Bryce (version 5) here at Daz and in terms of what had come before, it was awesome.  Unfortunately it has now fallen behind the times in terms of multi-core rendering, 64-bit OS and GPU rendering but I still have a soft spot for the program even though I haven't used it in years.  That's not to say of course that there are not still people who can make some fantastic images with it even now.

• Aiko 3 was my first figure, and she was brand new.

• Carola OCarola O Posts: 3,818

april 2013 was when I got into this :) only worked with Daz though, and there is still so much I need to learn so one is quite enough lol

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,513
    edited October 2017

...going on ten years here (2007). 

Mainlt got into this because artrhitis was making it difficut to draw and paint any more without chowing down Advil like M&Ms   First learned about Poser and Daz over on an RPG forum where one person was using Daz to create scene and character illustrations related to the game.

Actually did some 3D CG work back in the 80s (extremely simple stuff compared to today) but back then everything had to be coded from scratch and somehow didn't feel much of a "creative" aspect from it.  Back then I dreamed of one day having CG programmes that took the process from an artist's rather than a programmer's perspective.

Angel -WIngs, darling pic there.

A little one of my own (G2)

easy rider Leela normal skin.png
    1200 x 900 - 2M
    Post edited by kyoto kid on
  • RedfernRedfern Posts: 1,573

Spit has me beat by nearly 10 years.  I started sometime after Caligari's TrueSpace 2 was released, the mid to late 90s.

Sincerely,

Bill

• frankrblowfrankrblow Posts: 2,052
    edited October 2017

Mid to late 90's?? Played around with a modelling program (name forgotten), then found a free copy of Poser (3 or 4?) on a free CD with a magazine around 2004/5. Along came Studio Beta, and on from there. I had ten years off travelling, and returned to 3D rendering in March this year. And my favourtie image is this, even though it has a lot of problems, as I just enjoyed making it.

sunny_afternoon2.png
    1300 x 1000 - 3M
    Post edited by frankrblow on
  • JessaiiJessaii Posts: 845

next year will be 10 years for 3D stuffs, and 14 years with Digital art in general :) 

• Midnight_storiesMidnight_stories Posts: 4,112
    edited October 2017

Turbo silver on the amiga 500 1987, man scripting in the old days !!!

Post edited by Midnight_stories on
  • Started with Bryce in 2001, soon discovered Poser in 2002 and started basic modeling the same year with I think Amapi and Wings. There was another modeling program too but I can't remember what it was. I discovered Daz, Rendo, and RDNA around 2002/2003. I don't really have a favorite render. I love all my newer stuff though. I'm so in love with Daz Studio I jokingly call my characters my children. I spend ridiculous amounts of hours in DS and I love it. :D
  • LeatherGryphonLeatherGryphon Posts: 11,137
    edited October 2017

Back about 1976 I was working at the Kennedy Space Center as sole programmer, computer engineer, computer lab manager, for a small data research laboratory in the Launch Control Center.  We had two Raytheon mini-computers with a total of 48Kbytes (K not M) memory, one 9-track and one 7-track tape drives, paper tape, punch cards, two teletypes, and two Tektronics 4012 storage screen vector graphic display devices, a vector to raster conversion device, and a very elementary video recording disk.  Between launches and research projects we had some free time so I played around and wrote my own floating point arithmetic library, my own 3D-graphic routines, my own hard disk driver,  and animation software to draw simple 3D mesh objects.  No surfaces, no hidden lines, but it was 3D and I could rotate it in X,Y, & Z (actually yaw, pitch, roll).  Then for the next 20 years from 1979 to 1999 I didn't do any 3D work until I found Ray-Dream5.5 (ancestor of Carrara) that I could use on my home Win98 computer.

Tektronics4012.jpg
    600 x 898 - 24K
    Post edited by LeatherGryphon on
  • PC game modding got me generally interested in this stuff; actually was guest host on the Dragon Age podcast one month about the time Dragon Age 2 came out. I've been using Studio since 2009.

• FirstBastionFirstBastion Posts: 7,218

1999 MetaCreation Bryce on an imac,  and started game modding and Level building with the Lithtech Game engine soon after in 2000

• Sven DullahSven Dullah Posts: 7,621
    edited October 2017

1999 MetaCreation Bryce on an imac,  and started game modding and Level building with the Lithtech Game engine soon after in 2000

Yup MetaCreations made a software called Infini-D that I started to explore in the late 90's, also Bryce.

Edited to add:

Actually Infini-D was created by Specular International that merged with MetaTools to form MetaCreations;)

Post edited by Sven Dullah on
  • hacsarthacsart Posts: 2,024

First foray into 3d was with POV-RAY on an PC with an Intel 486SX.. after that it was Vistapro then when Brcye became available for the PC, went with that..

• RedfernRedfern Posts: 1,573

So far LeatherGryphon has us all beat by a bloody parsec!

Sincerely,

Bill

• LeatherGryphonLeatherGryphon Posts: 11,137
    edited January 2018
    Redfern said:

So far LeatherGryphon has us all beat by a bloody parsec!

Sincerely,

Bill

It's not a contest, but yeah! devil  I'm an old nerd.

Post edited by LeatherGryphon on
  • I started with Reallusion’s iClone in probably 2010. I was primarily making animated videos. At some point I ran across DAZ and purchased some content, but really didn’t get what it was then. In 2013, Reallusion created a DAZ to iClone plugin, so I came back to DAZ to get more content. At that point, I really started to get what DAZ was and could do, and I’ve been an addict ever since. I still play with iClone for annimation, but spend most of my hobby hours with DAZ.

J

• ebergerlyebergerly Posts: 3,255
    edited October 2017

Back about 1976 I was working at the Kennedy Space Center as sole programmer, computer engineer, computer lab manager, for a small data research laboratory in the Launch Control Center.  We had two Raytheon mini-computers with a total of 38Kbytes (K not M) memory, one 9-track and one 7-track tape drives, paper tape, punch cards, two teletypes, and two Tektronics 3012 storage screen vector graphic display devices, a vector to raster conversion device, and a very elementary video recording disk.  Between launches and research projects we had some free time so I played around and wrote my own floating point arithmetic library, my own 3D-graphic routines, my own hard disk driver,  and animation software to draw simple 3D mesh objects.  No surfaces, no hidden lines, but it was 3D and I could rotate it in X,Y, & Z (actually yaw, pitch, roll).  Then for the next 20 years from 1979 to 1999 I didn't do any 3D work until I found Ray-Dream5.5 (ancestor of Carrara) that I could use on my home Win98 computer.

I find it kind of funny how people nowadays seem to think the "awesome new technology" that surrounds us was invented recently by Apple and a bunch of young engineers. But in fact it was all developed back in the 70's by guys like you and the people at Xerox and IBM and so on. And all the "new technology" is just a modification of the stuff developed back then. I recently watched a video about some of the "old" personal computers, and it's funny how the motherboards and CPUs and memory looks almost identical to the parts I used a couple months ago to put together my Ryzen machine. All this awesome 3D technology and software programming was actually developed many decades ago, and since then it's been tweaked and improved.

Anyway, my hat is off to Leather Gryphon for being involved at the cutting edge of all this stuff.  

Post edited by ebergerly on