How long have you been doing 3D?

Comments

• 2007 for me, I believe. Started with Studio 2 right before they switched to 3.

• kloolessklooless Posts: 115

I was looking for something artistic for my son-in-law when I ran across Daz Studio.  Downloaded it, but he was less than interested. I started playing with it and here I am 9 years later and thousands of dollars poorer for a fun "little" hobby.  surprise

• 3Diva3Diva Posts: 11,287
    edited October 2017

I believe I started doing 3D art around March of 2016 - so around a year and seven months ago. 

This is my first scene render:

One of my favorite renders so far though, is the second scene render I did. I used V4 and did a little bit of post work:

Even though it was one of the first scenes I did, it's still one of my favorites. 

Post edited by 3Diva on
  • RGcincyRGcincy Posts: 2,808

1982. Apple World on an Apple 2+. Had to type in the xyz coordinates to create an object.

1993. Hyperstudio on an Apple 2GS. The scripting language was 3D Hyperlogo. Wrote equations to draw a biplane and rotate/move it in 3D space. I painted the wireframe output using a paint program and then reimported into Hyperstudio to animate it. Quite a lot of work to get a short animation.

1997. Bryce 3D which I got on a CD of 3D programs attached to a book. In the same time period, I got Poser 1. Been at it ever since.

2001. Released my first 3D program Tree Magic at 3D Commune, later morphed into Shape Magic, Lathe Magic, and Roadmaker.

• AineAine Posts: 34

For my partner and I:

Pov-Ray 1992
    Fractint 1992
    Vista Pro 1994
    Bryce 2  1997
    Carrara 1998
    Poser 1998

and the list went on,,,lol

• I bought the full version of Martin Hash's Animation:Master for $695 back in 1994 after first reading about it in Camcorder Magazine. It arrived on several floppies. He had a demo guy who made it look so slick and easy on the video they'd send out. Found I wasn't great at modeling splines. I was doing OK at what it could do, though, but Hash had to rewrite the software due to some issues with Microsoft and changed the software from something that was easy to use to something more complex. I bought an early version of Poser at Egghead Software in 1995 or 1996. Tried for a time to get what it exported into A:M, but Poser polygon models in a spline based program didn't work too well at the huge size they came in at with A:M import tool. Tried for a long time in little spare time to get A:M to work and to figure it out. I was pitched by a local Autodesk distributor on 3DS Max and passed on it because of the cost and its steep learning curve, and my PC at the time couldn't run it as eaily as A:M. And I used to attend Lightwave User Group meetings that Dale K. Meyers (M&M's commercials original animator) would put on at a local Amiga Computer store In Madison Heights, Michigan. This was around the time the "Reboot" CG animated series was first broadcast. I brought a copy of one of the episodes for everyone to watch. Everyone was excited about the future. Then DAZ finally got rolling and I then thought I might be finally able to do something affordable! Still at it now, with just a little more spare time.

• GreymomGreymom Posts: 1,104

Hmmm...It was 2005.  Tested Poser 3-4 and then purchased Poser 5 later. Bought Hexagon in 2006, my first DAZ purchase.  Been tinkering around in this area intermittantly ever since, as RL permits.  Attached is one of my first fulll scenes, with Laura, from 2007 I believe.

Bluekatana4I6.jpg
    1280 x 960 - 1000K
  • AngelAngel Posts: 1,204

kyoto kid said:

...going on ten years here (2007). 

Mainlt got into this because artrhitis was making it difficut to draw and paint any more without chowing down Advil like M&Ms   First learned about Poser and Daz over on an RPG forum where one person was using Daz to create scene and character illustrations related to the game.

Actually did some 3D CG work back in the 80s (extremely simple stuff compared to today) but back then everything had to be coded from scratch and somehow didn't feel much of a "creative" aspect from it.  Back then I dreamed of one day having CG programmes that took the process from an artist's rather than a programmer's perspective.

Angel -WIngs, darling pic there.

A little one of my own (G2)

Thats very cute. Pictures like that always put a smile on my face.

• AngelAngel Posts: 1,204

And now I need to correct myself. Some of these boys n girls go back to the 80's! hehe

• JOdelJOdel Posts: 6,254

I wandered into the forums here around July 2009. Was already aware of 3D software, since I had copies of most of the products MetaCreations had developed or aquitred (never did anything much with them, but had them. At least the first versions, as they brought them out). I can remember the MacWorld back, oh, around '91 or '92(?) with a couple of youngsters at one of those little table booths in the back of the Expo hall with a software toy that generated landscapes. It was at about version 0.9, so basically pre-release, but there was a show special. They called it Bryce.

Had never heard of Studio (mainly because back when I was watching, it didn't exist yet).

I finally buckled down and got into this, because I had a publication project that I wanted to produce, and there was no way that I was going to be able to produce it with clip art. Of course, the models I needed didn't really exist in 3D either, so it wasn't until 2011 that I finally got a version of it built.

• ZyloxZylox Posts: 787

And now I need to correct myself. Some of these boys n girls go back to the 80's! hehe

You may have missed LeatherGryphon's post, he goes back to '76.

I picked up copies of Poser 4 and Bryce in 2002 and switched to DAZ Studio a little while after it was released. I have worked with it off and on since then, mostly rendering character portraits for my pen and paper RPG's.

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,593
    edited October 2017
    GlenWebb said:
    Started with Bryce in 2001, soon discovered Poser in 2002 and started basic modeling the same year with I think Amapi and Wings. There was another modeling program too but I can't remember what it was. I discovered Daz, Rendo, and RDNA around 2002/2003. I don't really have a favorite render. I love all my newer stuff though. I'm so in love with Daz Studio I jokingly call my characters my children. I spend ridiculous amounts of hours in DS and I love it. :D

...I wish Amapi was still around.  Would love a more stable dedicated modeller that could do polygon modelliing and had a nice easy to work with UI.

Post edited by kyoto kid on
  • So out of curiousity. It's supprising to find out how long someone has been rendering or modeling. Some of these boys n girls go back to the 90's!

So how long have you been at it, and of all your works. What is your personal favorite that youve made?

Me personally, I've been doing 3D stuff since 2012. In the year 2011 I was into my MMORPG games. Never even heard of Daz, or Blender or any of this stuff.

My own personal favorite render that I've made was a toddler named Holly. I just can't seem to top this render... hehe

She is a Genesis 3 Female. Made her in 2015. But this render was done in 2016

https://www.daz3d.com/gallery/images/267116/

Great render...  Personally, I've been into computers since Apple 2+, the first home computer.  I've been into 3D since the first version of Poser and I've made so many pictures that I can't pick one favorite... I think my favorite time is NOW.. We have the technology.

I haven't been able to make my favorite piece of art but its probably because my version of DAZ is cluttered by old installations and I need to do a clean start and get rid of the thousands of old products in my library that I'll never use.. a lot like my life.. go figure.. Keep up the great work and happy rendering.. Its the journey that matters.. not the destination.

• LeanaLeana Posts: 11,051

I started playing with 3D in 2002 or so, when I took a computer graphics class at Engineering school. I was mainly using POVray to render at the time, with a bit of modelling using whatever free program I had at the time.
    While looking for tutorials and assets for one of my projects I discovered DAZ, but being a poor student who couldn't afford Poser (well, I had a free copy of P3 from a magazine, but you couldn't do that much with it) I simply registered to collect freebies for later.

Then a few years later DAZ launched the public beta for DS, and the rest is history...

• dragotxdragotx Posts: 1,134
    I first found Daz back in 2005, but between school, work, real life and not enough time to figure out the UI, I never got started using it until last thanksgiving. I started on that holiday, and now I've got almost 1000 renders done and way too much money invested in this. And a couple of your characters too :D
  • HorusRaHorusRa Posts: 1,662
    edited October 2017

Must of started I'm guessing around 93 or 94? Regardless, it was the year Truespace 3 was released, I purchased that and began there, moved through all the versions until they partnered off with microsoft and microsoft shut down development during development of TS 7, which they now give away free, I don't believe it was 100% complete, I believe some minor things were not finished but it was pretty much fully functional. Whatever was not finished was something I must of not used.
    ​Most of us Truespacers went looking for a new program to use at that time, I chose Lightwave and have been doing that ever since, but I must admit readily available props at daz has made me lazy for modeling. surprise
    ​I used Poser for a while during the version 4 era to import human models and other organics into TS as I don't do much organic modeling (it drives me nuts for some reason), I mostly do architectural modeling, I took architecture in college (mid 80's) but finally quit (it really put my math abilities to the test, math was not really my best subject, lol). There was some early pov-ray use just before truespace but I never liked it much.
    ​I guess one of the models that I did that I was the most happiest with was a large cathedral, unfortunately it was during the switch over era from TS 7 to Lightwave, so I never finished it or all the props. cheeky
    ​I started with Daz in march of 2015 I believe it was as just one of numerous alternative graphic programs to toy with and kind of been using it ever since.
    ​The wife and I have both went back to school part time for Graphic Design, and we shuffle that with full time jobs right now. She is a member here as well.

​ETA: capture of a pic rendered in TS of the cathedral as a early WIP, partially untextured at this point. Some props, candelabras, pews and such were completed and some not at this stage.
             Second pic is some early ceiling and pillar design.

TS Cathedral HorusRa.jpg
    1680 x 1050 - 103K
    TS Cathedral HorusRa 2.jpg
    1680 x 1050 - 166K
    Post edited by HorusRa on
  • TangoAlphaTangoAlpha Posts: 4,584

I'd played with Bryce sometime in the late 90s-early 00s, think it was a demo from a magazine cover. At the time it was little more than a curiosity. In 2007 I was using GMax to make airports for Flight Simulator. I didn't come to Poser until 2014, and that led me to Studio, which led me to Carrara (cos I hated the inability to make stuff in PS & DS), and now Modo.

• HorusRa said:

Regardless, it was the year Truespace 3 was released, I purchased that and began there, moved through all the versions until they partnered off with microsoft and microsoft shut down development during development of TS 7, which they now give away free, I don't believe it was 100% complete.

I'm not sure at what stage they owned it, but I can remember seeing a render of a metal terminator skull in an advert for Caligari Truespace in the early 90's whne I had an Amiga 1200 and no money because I was a student.  At the time I thought that this was the absolute pinnacle of CG art and things could never get better in terms of quality, just in speed.  How wrong I was...

• BlueIreneBlueIrene Posts: 1,318

I'm very much a newbie compared to others. I'd dabbled a little bit with 3D and found it interesting, but my primary interest was always in coding - first with web pages and then with database-driven software. This started in around 1990 and the need for images was few for a while - stock sites met most of my requirements. It must have been some time in 2009 when I was putting together a project which needed lots of embedded images that I went off in search of a way I could create them myself. This led to Sketchup, and many, many hours spent rendering in Kerkythea. Sketchup is great for inorganic stuff like buildings and props, but not much good for living, breathing creatures. Up until August 2014 I hadn't needed many of those or had found a way around it, but one particular project that year needed images of people, and lots of them. Having investigated MakeHuman and finding it fell short at the time, I decided I was going to draw my own. Given my skill level, it's fortunate that when looking for a digital version of one of those poseable wooden art dolls I found Daz Studio instead. Less fortunate for my finances though! :)

I'm getting more out of Daz Studio than ever since I finally got to grips with blender a couple of months ago. I still code occasionally but it's a long way from being my primary interest now. These days I'm much more likely to be found modeling something, rendering or making surface materials or images pretty in Photoshop.

• HorusRaHorusRa Posts: 1,662
    HorusRa said:

Regardless, it was the year Truespace 3 was released, I purchased that and began there, moved through all the versions until they partnered off with microsoft and microsoft shut down development during development of TS 7, which they now give away free, I don't believe it was 100% complete.

I'm not sure at what stage they owned it, but I can remember seeing a render of a metal terminator skull in an advert for Caligari Truespace in the early 90's whne I had an Amiga 1200 and no money because I was a student.  At the time I thought that this was the absolute pinnacle of CG art and things could never get better in terms of quality, just in speed.  How wrong I was...

That would have been Truespace 4. smiley

• Ken OBanionKen OBanion Posts: 1,447

I got started around 2005-06, when I picked up a copy of Poser 6.  Found the DAZ site, grabbed V3, M3, David, Stephanie 3 Petite, Luke and Laura, and I was officially hooked.

I tried DAZ Studio when version 1 was released, and I was not impressed, so I skipped version 2 entirely.  I gave it another chance when version 3 came out; better, but still not a game-changer.  Then, with version 4 -- and especially with 4.5 and beyond, I was convinced; DAZ Studio became my primary 3D tool.  I still use Poser (I'm up to 11 Pro), but don't use it nearly as much as I used to.

I've also added some modeling and texture-creation applications: Hexagon and Blender; Paint Shop Pro and GIMP.  I have Bryce and Carrara, but rarely use them.  And I don't do post-work, because I seriously suck at it.

A few years ago, I was talking on the phone with my "agent" (she finds me work, and gets a cut; that's an agent, right?) while, at the same time, browsing a bunch of old CDs and DVDs.  Suddenly, I blurted out, "Hey, I found my Morphing Fantasy Dress!" (I was convinced it had been long-since lost).

Dead silence on the line for several moments.  Then: "Ken, you're going to have to explain that to me, or I'm going to start thinking you're weird!"

Sweetheart, if you don't already think I'm weird, then it just ain't gonna happen!

• wolf359wolf359 Posts: 3,770
    nemesis10 said:

I had to peek: Poser 1 (Fractal Design), early 1996

Same here exactly!!

• TheKDTheKD Posts: 2,676

I didn't realllllllly get into it until iray came out. I did renders every now and then, but they never came out very good. It was mostly an exercise in frustration until I rage quit, then calm down a week or two later and try again. Rinse repeat. Iray changed the game for me.

• Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,560

I played with poser many years ago but only started getting seriou about 5 years ago.

• HoroHoro Posts: 10,139

I have no artist education, having worked as air traffic control radar maintenance engineer and than in 1974 in satellite telecom doing hardware repair, software development, network engineering and customer care until retirement. I tinkered a bit with POVray in the Win98 times and soon found TerraGen, which I liked. Bryce was a dream that only came true when I could afford it at version 5. When Daz took Bryce from Corel, I started to use Studio v0.8 or so, I still use it to get some assets over to Bryce but for nothing more. I also played a bit with Carrara from v3 to v8.1 but I stick to Bryce, though neglected, it is still extremely powerfull with its two native render engines. Oh, I do miss a few things like 64 bit and for trees Carrara has an edge.

• McGyverMcGyver Posts: 7,005

I've been 3D most of my life... Sometimes I'm a little 2D and others a bit 4D... But I've been messing with 3D since probably 2002... Technically much earlier, but it wasn't much more then trying out programs and off and on using it at work.

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,593
    HorusRa said:

Must of started I'm guessing around 93 or 94? Regardless, it was the year Truespace 3 was released, I purchased that and began there, moved through all the versions until they partnered off with microsoft and microsoft shut down development during development of TS 7, which they now give away free, I don't believe it was 100% complete, I believe some minor things were not finished but it was pretty much fully functional. Whatever was not finished was something I must of not used.
    ​Most of us Truespacers went looking for a new program to use at that time, I chose Lightwave and have been doing that ever since, but I must admit readily available props at daz has made me lazy for modeling. surprise
    ​I used Poser for a while during the version 4 era to import human models and other organics into TS as I don't do much organic modeling (it drives me nuts for some reason), I mostly do architectural modeling, I took architecture in college (mid 80's) but finally quit (it really put my math abilities to the test, math was not really my best subject, lol). There was some early pov-ray use just before truespace but I never liked it much.
    ​I guess one of the models that I did that I was the most happiest with was a large cathedral, unfortunately it was during the switch over era from TS 7 to Lightwave, so I never finished it or all the props. cheeky
    ​I started with Daz in march of 2015 I believe it was as just one of numerous alternative graphic programs to toy with and kind of been using it ever since.
    ​The wife and I have both went back to school part time for Graphic Design, and we shuffle that with full time jobs right now. She is a member here as well.

​ETA: capture of a pic rendered in TS of the cathedral as a early WIP, partially untextured at this point. Some props, candelabras, pews and such were completed and some not at this stage.
             Second pic is some early ceiling and pillar design.

...I have a DVD with a backup of Truespace 7.1 on it somewhere.

• hacsarthacsart Posts: 2,025

heh.. started my IT career in 1973, on IBM mainframes - notably a 1401 (yes we still had one) 360/40s, a 7080 and then inti the 370 era... no need for 3d hgraphics then, but we hd an entire floor of draftsmen...  was early  retired from IT in Jan 2007, and from the same company I started with... 

Back about 1976 I was working at the Kennedy Space Center as sole programmer, computer engineer, computer lab manager, for a small data research laboratory in the Launch Control Center.  We had two Raytheon mini-computers with a total of 48Kbytes (K not M) memory, one 9-track and one 7-track tape drives, paper tape, punch cards, two teletypes, and two Tektronics 4012 storage screen vector graphic display devices, a vector to raster conversion device, and a very elementary video recording disk.  Between launches and research projects we had some free time so I played around and wrote my own floating point arithmetic library, my own 3D-graphic routines, my own hard disk driver,  and animation software to draw simple 3D mesh objects.  No surfaces, no hidden lines, but it was 3D and I could rotate it in X,Y, & Z (actually yaw, pitch, roll).  Then for the next 20 years from 1979 to 1999 I didn't do any 3D work until I found Ray-Dream5.5 (ancestor of Carrara) that I could use on my home Win98 computer.

site1_2.jpg
    1700 x 1132 - 293K
    site1_1.jpg
    1696 x 1128 - 323K
  • I got my first 3D program in 1989. It was called Swivel 3D.  It was in black and white, not even grey scale. I used it in a Mac Plus. I graduated to Infini-D then Carrara. I also used a product from Pixar called Showplace. It was only a renderer, but used Renderman. I feel old!

• IceDragonArtIceDragonArt Posts: 12,548
    edited October 2017

2 years and one month for me. This is one of my favorites.

Elemental 2 wip 2.jpg
    927 x 1500 - 1M
    Post edited by IceDragonArt on