How do I install third party content in 4.9 Please

Comments

• jestmartjestmart Posts: 4,449

Nothing has changed with the Studio's Content Library system since version 3.  If you are installing a library within a library it will not work and going back to version 4.8 wont fix it.

• No to start an argument but Yes it has. Greatly in fact. I was referring to the "Scan Known Directories for Files" function specifically but it no longer uses Valentina databases either to name a few. My Content Library has; as far as I can remeber, always kept the poser-friendly Runtime directory within the DAZ content directory. So I don't know what you mean by "installing a library within a library" as if it were by choice. And I have been doing this since the debut of the V3 Millennium Girl even. DS 4.8 was the last known version where "Scan Known Directories" actually highlighted the directories with new content in it. Like I said I don't want to argue. Just trying to dispel some misinformation is all.

• jestmartjestmart Posts: 4,449

No nothing has changed as to how libraries and content is mapped, do not lump stupid 'Smart Content' and database functions in with the basic functionality of the Content Library pane.  The "Runtime" folder is not a library folder, the folder that contains it is the library folder.

• bcwu68 said:

Hi, everyone.  Anyone on this thread a Mac user?  I'm also having issues and unfortunately the Windows fixes don't do me much good.  I follow the same principles as the Windows solutions; the downloads unzip into the Downloads folder and then I've been dragging them to what seems the appropriate folder(s) at the end of Macintosh HD/Users/Shared/My Daz 3D Library.  Since many of the folder names duplicate what's already on the drive (e.g. data, Runtime, Props, etc) I've been drilling down until I find a folder with a unique name and dropping it in.  Is this what's screwing me up?  Other info: I'm running DS 4.9 and my Mac is running the Sierra OS (10.12.1).  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Still pretty "primitive" - but what I do is open "My Daz Library" folder (containing Data, People. Runtime Etc) on one side of my screen, and open the unzipped 3rd party file in a window on the other side of my screen.

I select "Data" "Runtime" "People" (whatever folders are in the 3rd Party zip file)

and HOLDING DOWN the ALT Key,

move those folders over to the "My Daz Library" window.

My Mac chugs for a little while and then a pop up windows shows up that says folders with those names already exist and do I want to Stop, Replace or Merge with those folders.

I select Merge, and it will move all of the content into the correct folders with removing/damaging anything already in them.

• TotteTotte Posts: 13,498
    howy2012 said:
    bcwu68 said:

Hi, everyone.  Anyone on this thread a Mac user?  I'm also having issues and unfortunately the Windows fixes don't do me much good.  I follow the same principles as the Windows solutions; the downloads unzip into the Downloads folder and then I've been dragging them to what seems the appropriate folder(s) at the end of Macintosh HD/Users/Shared/My Daz 3D Library.  Since many of the folder names duplicate what's already on the drive (e.g. data, Runtime, Props, etc) I've been drilling down until I find a folder with a unique name and dropping it in.  Is this what's screwing me up?  Other info: I'm running DS 4.9 and my Mac is running the Sierra OS (10.12.1).  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Still pretty "primitive" - but what I do is open "My Daz Library" folder (containing Data, People. Runtime Etc) on one side of my screen, and open the unzipped 3rd party file in a window on the other side of my screen.

I select "Data" "Runtime" "People" (whatever folders are in the 3rd Party zip file)

and HOLDING DOWN the ALT Key,

move those folders over to the "My Daz Library" window.

My Mac chugs for a little while and then a pop up windows shows up that says folders with those names already exist and do I want to Stop, Replace or Merge with those folders.

I select Merge, and it will move all of the content into the correct folders with removing/damaging anything already in them.

have you looked at RendoInstall? http://4eyes.code66.se/?page_id=7463

• oomuoomu Posts: 175

Nothing changed between 4.8 and 4.9 for supporting third parties content and customs DAZ Library folders. you need to inform Content Manager if you want to use a new library

and you have to respect DAZ and POSER folders hierarchies when adding third parties content (whatever sharecg or others).

Don't confuse the "Content" folder with "Runtime" or an other folder. You have to respect the hierarchy of the files inside the zip, like DAZ Studio and Poser expect it.

-

About Mac:

I first verify the zip content to be sure everything is in order and how the author intended its content to be installed.

I prefer to dragndrop files in their respective folders manually than using the "merge" feature of the Finder. It's a little cumbersome but I can see if sometimes a third party content uses the same name of another content. (for example for a README or Licence files).

For contents I'm sure the zip is well done, I use the command "unzip -o my_content_file.zip" (in Terminal).  It overwrites existing files and add files in existing folders. 

• I have a file called Tripolian swords. 

When i use importer and exporter it doesn't show up at all as anything to open. The installer says it can't read it. I don't know what to do. I'm also a total Newbie so be patient with me. 

• Duke Margiris said:

This does seem like a really straight forward thing, but I'm with Danny in that I am installing third party content (tried a few items from OptiTex and some from ShareCG) into the My Daz 3D Library and Daz doesn't recognize that the new folder or contents are even in there.  It doesn't help that it looks like Windows 10 is doing some kind of weird "cloud" storage thing where Daz 4.9 is installing all the content through the installer into dozens of different, randomly numbered folders within a greater folder called that is, despite the name, completely located on my computer.  They work fine, but my inner librarian is horrified by the haphazardness of the organization.  Mostly, though, we must be doing something wrong in putting things in that folder that is obvious to the more computer savy but baffling to us.

I am having the same problem. Daz doesn't read what's in the "MyLiberary" folder when i put it there. 

• plaul2002plaul2002 Posts: 127

OMG having same issue!  All the directions say just drop it in but it's all cloud based.  It's not picking up content can someone do a step by step for idiots?

• mmkdazmmkdaz Posts: 335

Hello All...I've been using Daz for a very long time. I've been away for a while, and I'm trying to use M4 and V4 downloads from daz. The "My Library," and "My Daz 3d Library" are not recognizing the unzipped downloads. Am I doing somethign wrong?

(Yes, I've posted in multiple threads. I think this is a question many will have and it will be difficult to fine the answer if it's only in one thread. Please do not delete this post.)

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565

If you unzipped it manually, make sure you don't have a folder named "Content" inside "My Library".  You also need to run the DzCreateExpFiles-V4.bat and DzCreateExpFiles-M4.bat manually (.command on MacOSX).

• Totte said:
    bcwu68 said:

I have the same problem. Many read me's says that you should merge the "My Library" from zip with your "My Library". But I don't even have My Library folder. It's easy when there only "data" folder to merge, but sometimes there is many folders in "My Librari" like Figures, etc and I have no idea where to put them.

Try my free "Rendo Installer": Download it here: http://4eyes.code66.se/?p=7775

Link not working get error having same problem here 

Totte said:
    bcwu68 said:

I have the same problem. Many read me's says that you should merge the "My Library" from zip with your "My Library". But I don't even have My Library folder. It's easy when there only "data" folder to merge, but sometimes there is many folders in "My Librari" like Figures, etc and I have no idea where to put them.

Try my free "Rendo Installer": Download it here: http://4eyes.code66.se/?p=7775

• flamenflamen Posts: 1

Hi again everyone. I want to make sure I'm not messing up. i downloaded some content from Most Digital Creations and I want to know how to install it. I tried the old way and it doesn't seem to work. Can someone help me. I know how to unpack the zip files and drage the files to My library (the old way). How does one go about it now with the new connection thing? 

And is there any user manual that is specifically for 4.9?

I had the same problem. After reading the whole page, one  thread has made me realize that I was  not seeing  anymore my installations simply  because the "content library"  folder had disappeared. In somehow I had it slip away, having in front of me only  the  "smart content" folder, taht hosts  the files operated  by Install Manager. So  I have gone to the  window panes, seeking for the content library tab. I don't know how exactly,  but after repeatedly opening and closing the tab, the content library folder has been restored in its full glory, with all my  manually installed files.  In my configuration, run by Win 10, Install manager  looks at the following path   C: user \  [my name]  \ Documents \ DAZ \ studio \ My Library . I find it  advisable to  install  manually  in C: \ user \ public \ documents \ My DAZ Library..DAZ will seek in both of them. 

• SlimerJSpudSlimerJSpud Posts: 1,453

In spite of the fact that I've been using DS since 2010, I'm just NOW installing DS 4.9 (whimper). Given that I don't care about CMS, or Smart Content, and I do all my installs manually anyway, is the following valid? Will this work, or am I asking for trouble?

Software install path: D:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4  (Not on the C: drive, please. This is next door to where DAZStudio3 is. Should be no problem here.)

Content Directory: D:\Documents\DAZ 3D\Studio3\content  (This is where DS3 has everything. This is my existing Content folder, with the Poser Runtime folder underneath.)

In some cases, I have previously installed DS specific content that did not work in DS3. It's already there. I assume it will start working in DS4. Is it OK to keep putting new content into my existing Content folder, or will DS4 squash some DS3 files? I tend to think not.

Even though the DS4 software installer wants to create a My Library folder, it seems this is obsolete, because all the content that was converted to zip files has Content at the top, not My Library.

In spite of the fact that I've been using DS since 2010, I'm just NOW installing DS 4.9 (whimper). Given that I don't care about CMS, or Smart Content, and I do all my installs manually anyway, is the following valid? Will this work, or am I asking for trouble?

Software install path: D:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4  (Not on the C: drive, please. This is next door to where DAZStudio3 is. Should be no problem here.)

Content Directory: D:\Documents\DAZ 3D\Studio3\content  (This is where DS3 has everything. This is my existing Content folder, with the Poser Runtime folder underneath.)

In some cases, I have previously installed DS specific content that did not work in DS3. It's already there. I assume it will start working in DS4. Is it OK to keep putting new content into my existing Content folder, or will DS4 squash some DS3 files? I tend to think not.

Even though the DS4 software installer wants to create a My Library folder, it seems this is obsolete, because all the content that was converted to zip files has Content at the top, not My Library.

That should work.  The name of your library folder can be anything you like -- "My Library", "My Daz 3D Library", "Content", or whatever.  The foldert in Daz zips named "Content" just means "this is where the content is", not that there must be a folder named Content.  Above all, you don't want a folder named "Content" underneath your actual content folder.

• SlimerJSpudSlimerJSpud Posts: 1,453

@Fixmypcmike, thanks for the answers.

• SpottedKittySpottedKitty Posts: 7,232

Note that the installer only wants to create a "My Library" folder because that's the default D|S content folder name. You can change it to whatever you like or add new content locations in the Content Directory Management dialog — "DAZ Stuff", "My Dog's Maiden Name", "What Can You Say About Chocolate Covered Manhole Covers" — whatever name makes sense to you and how you've arranged your content.

Also beware of the "Content" folder at the top level of the zip installers; it's only there as a marker for the DIM installer program. The folder itself is ignored, it's what's inside it that's important.

• Hi again everyone. I want to make sure I'm not messing up. i downloaded some content from Most Digital Creations and I want to know how to install it. I tried the old way and it doesn't seem to work. Can someone help me. I know how to unpack the zip files and drage the files to My library (the old way). How does one go about it now with the new connection thing? 

And is there any user manual that is specifically for 4.9?

If you have a lagit .zip file, you can place it into the "C:\Users\Public\Documents\DAZ 3D\InstallManager\Downloads" and use the Install manager. 

1) Place the file into the directory "C:\Users\Public\Documents\DAZ 3D\InstallManager\Downloads"

2) Open Install manager and you should see "Ready to Install" indicating your file is in the directory waiting to be installed. If not click on the refresh button to the left of the "Account" link in the upper right of the install manager. If you do not see Ready to install then check your path again and make sure you put the fiel inthe right place or check your settings and make sure you did not install DAz3D install manager in some other location than the default.

3) The install manager should indicate if this is a correct .zip (should be blue) if so click install.

4) It will now be installed and your good to go!

I hope this helped.

• I use this program on Sharecg >>> http://www.sharecg.com/v/71453/browse/10/Software-and-Tools/Daz-Content-installer-from-Zips

Make a folder on your desktop and call it 3D to Install. Place all the zips you want to install in this folder. Only zips if you have rars convert to zips. Need a program to make zips for free google 7-zip.

Next Unzip program it can be saved anywhere you want just put it in its own folder on your desktop and double click on it. Point program to the 3D to install folder where your zips are and also point the program where your Daz runtime is located and then click Install>> this program will do the rest. Next time you use this program it will remember your settings and all you have to do is hit Install.

Sit back and enjoy some Coffie or a beverage of your choice. This will save you headaches of reinstalling hundreds of third party 3d stuff you get from other sites that wont install with DIM.

I tried this program after fighting through many instructions and I have to say, I am very pleased.  The only thing I would like to add there are two runtime folders I clicked on the one in documents C:\Users\mine\Documents\DAZ 3D\Studio\My Daz Connect Library\data\cloud\1_21630 I got a partial I could use some things. then I decided to check my computers Public user. C:\Users\Public\Documents\My DAZ 3D Library and like magic everything worked.  As far as Coffee I did not even have time to get up, it was done in seconds.

•  

If you have a lagit .zip file, you can place it into the "C:\Users\Public\Documents\DAZ 3D\InstallManager\Downloads" and use the Install manager. 

1) Place the file into the directory "C:\Users\Public\Documents\DAZ 3D\InstallManager\Downloads"

2) Open Install manager and you should see "Ready to Install" indicating your file is in the directory waiting to be installed. If not click on the refresh button to the left of the "Account" link in the upper right of the install manager. If you do not see Ready to install then check your path again and make sure you put the fiel inthe right place or check your settings and make sure you did not install DAz3D install manager in some other location than the default.

3) The install manager should indicate if this is a correct .zip (should be blue) if so click install.

4) It will now be installed and your good to go!

I hope this helped.

sadly that doesn't work , I put two zip files in and it didn't detect them.  I notice there is Daz Shared XML files that go with the zip file for other products that I installed via daz site.

I also noticed that within the zip files for products already installed , there is a manifest and supplement dsx files.

so am thinking the lack off dsx files and the shared xml files might prevent daz install manager as an option

• Sadly am also having real trouble installing items , tried manually doing it by going to the paths people saying here. I am new to daz3d, so that doesn't help either. 

https://www.wilmapsdigitalcreations.co.uk/view_product.php?id=204

I did manage to get access to the t-shirt above but I couldn't apply the materials 

I also tried to install https://www.sharecg.com/v/88394/browse/21/DAZ-Studio/Cole-for-G3M

I can see items in My Daz 3d Library , but its not being added to the viewport.

It's very easy when you get stuff from daz site itself but the manual install off 3rd party items appears to be very difficult to install. 

any good videos or tutorials around for daz studio 4.9 and how to do this , so its available to select the installed 3rd party items in smart content? 

• notretsam said:
    It's very easy when you get stuff from daz site itself but the manual install off 3rd party items appears to be very difficult to install. 

any good videos or tutorials around for daz studio 4.9 and how to do this , so its available to select the installed 3rd party items in smart content? 

Did you ever get a response on this or figure it out yourself? I can not believe that since 4.9, I am still struggling with this and it doesn't look like it got any better in 4.10 either.

• NovicaNovica Posts: 23,859
    edited October 2017

@notretsam  @jimmulvaney  I use Content Package Assist to do all my Rendo purchases. Granted, I use Content Library, so I don't even check Smart Content, but C.P.Assist is SO easy to use. It even places it in DIM for you to upload into the studio! (You can also make a copy for your files, l have an external hard drive full of my products.)  If you try it and get stuck, PM me as I don't usually visit this thread. It is for Windows PC only.

Post edited by Novica on
  • Novica said:

@notretsam  @jimmulvaney  I use Content Package Assist to do all my Rendo purchases. Granted, I use Content Library, so I don't even check Smart Content, but C.P.Assist is SO easy to use. It even places it in DIM for you to upload into the studio! (You can also make a copy for your files, l have an external hard drive full of my products.)  If you try it and get stuck, PM me as I don't usually visit this thread. It is for Windows PC only.

Wow! You completely jaw-dropped me with this! Thank you so much! I am still using 4.8 but when I am ready to upgrade (which will be soon enough, thankfully) I will definitely be giving this a try.

• dtinc88dtinc88 Posts: 81
    edited October 2017

How does one edit the metadata for a 3rd party product? I have a picture of the 3rd party product that I would like to appear in Smart Content. 

Post edited by dtinc88 on
  • dtinc88 said:

How does one edit the metadata for a 3rd party product? I have a picture of the 3rd party product that I would like to appear in Smart Content. 

Do a Google search, for "daz metadata tutorials". I can't seem to find the one I used here on the forums, but there are plenty out there, even videos!

• So - I appreciate all the PC people - but the problem is MACs are not laid out with file hierarchy like PCs
    IF someone who USES MAC  - could EXPLAIN - where to put stuff in 4.9 or later DAZ3D with SNAPSHOTS 
    that would help tremendously.

Here is what MAC users see 

Screen Shot 1.png
    2878 x 1540 - 557K
  • So - I appreciate all the PC people - but the problem is MACs are not laid out with file hierarchy like PCs
    IF someone who USES MAC  - could EXPLAIN - where to put stuff in 4.9 or later DAZ3D with SNAPSHOTS 
    that would help tremendously.

Here is what MAC users see 

If you are speaking of manually installing items, then it all goes in (from what I can tell in your hierarchy) "My Library". The "My DAZ Connect Library" directory is for the DAZ Connect function. It is easiest to understand when a install zip has a runtime folder in it. All the daz related files go in the "My Library" folder. The poser related files go inside the runtime folder. With most zip files there are daz related files, with a runtime folder that contains poser related files. It is still the same for MAC as it is PC. See below..

The directory on the left is for a hair prop for Genesis, and the one on the right is for the same hair prop but for V4. Sometimes authors will put all DS related files inside another container folder called content. WHat you want for DAZ is the contents that include the DATA folder. For Poser related ones they are all contained in the Runtime folder. If I was to upload these props, I would click and drag everything in the left window to my shortcut I made in the left Quick Access menu called "My DAZ 3D Library" which would be your "My Library" folder, there by merging the existing 'data', 'people', 'readme's' 'and 'runtime' folders. Likewise, if I was to upload the one for V4 I would grab everything in the right window and again drag it to my "My DAZ 3D Library" which would be your "My Library" folder, and merge the existing 'read me's', and 'runtime' folders.

The key is to remember that the data LEVEL contains everything for DS and the runtime FOLDER contains everything for poser. Personally, I install both. Hope this helps!

FujiHair.jpg
    1920 x 394 - 228K
    Novica said:

Wow! You completely jaw-dropped me with this! Thank you so much! I am still using 4.8 but when I am ready to upgrade (which will be soon enough, thankfully) I will definitely be giving this a try.

It works in 4.8 also.

• Does it work with 4.10?