Post Your Renders - #4: A New Hope

Comments

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,187
    edited December 1969

Here's a first glimpse at my new animated wet shader set.
    I'm starting with a specific one, but I'm planning to make a shader set that will 'add' the appropriate animated wetness to any texture set.
    This one is rendering an animation test as she runs through the rain. I'll see what it looks like later today. It uses a complete figure shader of specular, color and bump, each animated with the shininess set to a good gloss value. The hair also recieved the same treatment. If this experiment works, the universal set will soon follow.

Storm_Mid_Doc3.jpg
    1280 x 720 - 381K
  • HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,922
    edited December 1969

beautiful work Dartanbeck. Probably my favourite render of yours. when do we get the tree scene thingy you have been working on?

• bighbigh Posts: 8,147
    edited December 1969

Here's a first glimpse at my new animated wet shader set.
    I'm starting with a specific one, but I'm planning to make a shader set that will 'add' the appropriate animated wetness to any texture set.
    This one is rendering an animation test as she runs through the rain. I'll see what it looks like later today. It uses a complete figure shader of specular, color and bump, each animated with the shininess set to a good gloss value. The hair also recieved the same treatment. If this experiment works, the universal set will soon follow.

I have to be honest - just doesn't look right - to much gloss .

edited March 2013

head wax said:
    beautiful work Dartanbeck. Probably my favourite render of yours. when do we get the tree scene thingy you have been working on?
    Thank you, Head Wax!
    Soon ;-)
    Post edited by Dartanbeck on
    edited December 1969

bigh said:

Good call. I just checked my render of the animation and I've forgotten a nasty bright distant light in the scene that wrecked the whole thing. That white gloss got worse as the animation played.

Also, some of the white is from the extra layer of rain applied to the top of that image as well...

So I might have to tone down the specular bit. I was originally tense about not getting enough. I think i overdid it.

edited December 1969

bigh said:

Good call. I just checked my render of the animation and I've forgotten a nasty bright distant light in the scene that wrecked the whole thing. That white gloss got worse as the animation played.

Also, some of the white is from the extra layer of rain applied to the top of that image as well...

So I might have to tone down the specular bit. I was originally tense about not getting enough. I think i overdid it.Okay, the light was really killing stuff. I dropped some of the specular effects and then "I" didn't like it. It's raining. Hard. I want some heavy gloss. Trying again. We'll see.

• edited March 2013

bigh said:

So I might have to tone down the specular bit. I was originally tense about not getting enough. I think i overdid it.

Okay, the light was really killing stuff. I dropped some of the specular effects and then "I" didn't like it. It's raining. Hard. I want some heavy gloss. Trying again. We'll see.
    Try some fresnel in your reflection or highlight. There will be little reflection on the parts that are straight on, and a lot where it's a glancing angle. Like water, without the transparency. Since the vanilla Highlight doesn't have that option, you might have to use ShaderOps or Shoestring plugins to do it.

Sample real photo: http://www.brianorca.com/brianweb/img?file=SeaWorld30816.jpg

Post edited by briandaz_3e696c2bd8 on
    edited December 1969

brianorca said:

Try some fresnel in your reflection or highlight. There will be little reflection on the parts that are straight on, and a lot where it's a glancing angle. Like water, without the transparency. Since the vanilla Highlight doesn't have that option, you might have to use ShaderOps or Shoestring plugins to do it.
    That's a real photo! lol
    You even say so right there! I'm looking at that going... oh, wow!
    Okay, here's the thing. I know that I really need to get some more plugins, true. But I'm trying to find solutions that don't require that. They seem fairly reasonable, until people start telling you to get this one and then that one... next thing you know, you've got no money, but some really cool renders! So I'm creating 'this' part, and let those who own said shaders take it to the next level from there.
  • James_1903529James_1903529 Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Koukotsu said:
    Hi :)

It's nothing special, just bumping our render thread back to the front page, lol.

I like the first of the two. Can you tell me what the difference in lighting is between them? :)

edited December 1969

Yandorx said:
    Koukotsu said:
    Hi :)

It's nothing special, just bumping our render thread back to the front page, lol.

I like the first of the two. Can you tell me what the difference in lighting is between them? :)

First two?
    There are only two :roll:

edited December 1969

If you look closely after clicking to enlarge, you'll notice that Koukotsu does an incredible job on lighting, shadows and render settings.
    I'm a huge fan and become over-joyed when I see that she's posted a new image.
    The skin always looks like skin. The other shaders within her scenes are also immaculately worked out.
    I just find them to be top-notch renders.
    I also have a special fondness of her Mulberry use - whom is the girl portraying those cute pixie fey.

edited December 1969

bigh said:

Just to keep things simple, yet (hopefully) effective - which is what I'm really going for - I've created more video texture maps and applied them. Now everything on her is mapped with full-frame avi files.
    I was getting some really dark shadows - like before - realizing that such a situation really wouldn't get that black, I decided to use a bi-gradient in the background, matching up the colors with the backdrop animation - but haven't animated it - just left it an overall gradient for ambiance, and turned on Global Illumination. Big difference. Much of the effect that bigh doesn't like, happens to be one of my favorite aspects - especially when seen in the animated version. The image above was run through several passes of the AnyFX color and values grading filters - which was a fun experiment into very powerful features that I'm just not used to yet - but will certainly attempt to perfect through practice.
    So now I'm rendering a whole new scene using the Dynamic hair instead of conforming - as even more of an experiment for rotoscoping in Dogwaffle. More, I made an avi for the highlight channel of that hair, which as far as I can see, has few other options, but is the absolute best looking hair for this character I've ever seen. It's just glitchy in animations due to the kink shader - which I plan to attempt to correct using the rotoscoping. We'll see..
    edited March 2013

Also, some of that 'white' in there is actually animated rain drops in the animation.
    The urge for simplicity is so that I can hopefully get a working version of shaders that others may use on their characters.
    I do not want them to have to own external plugins to use them. Carrara has some powerful tricks up her sleeve, and I intend to try and unlock a few of them.

For the record, I want to eventually own ALL of the plugins made for Carrara - eventually.

• edited December 1969

Yandorx said:

Oh, it's the same lighting in both renders, (pure skylight) the only difference is in the brightness/level adjustments I did in Photoshop ;-)

I tried to increase the brightness almost to the clipping point to create the "illusion" of specularity, I believe I may have pushed it just a little too far for the second render though, lol.

• edited March 2013

Here's my daily Mulberry render, the "non-fairy" version this time ;-)

I'm working on an interior scene in Hexagon, so hopefully I'll have a nice setting to stick her in soon instead of the usual empty portrait/photo studio style renders I've been posting lately.

She did something. She’s doing a great job of hiding it… all innocent-like… but she did it…
    I know that for sure!

Ha ha you're right, that is exactly the sort of look she has going on in that render, lol.

I believe I should to lean her back a bit, that should provide a more calm and relaxed look :-P

MBF-6Cropd.png
    640 x 1024 - 586K
    Post edited by K0daKumi_8e8836aac0 on
  • GarstorGarstor Posts: 1,411
    edited December 1969

Koukotsu said:
    Ha ha you're right, that is exactly the sort of look she has going on in that render, lol.

RAWR!!!

There, I beat Dart to it! :-P

Seriously though -- black with green -- I love it. It could be a burlap sack with those colours and I'll still stare.

edited December 1969

Yeah... what Gars-Man said! Welcome back, Mulberry!
    Say, I like the new outfit, where'd ya get it?

• edited March 2013

Oh, that's the "Techno Tabby" outfit with the ruffles and default textures removed, there's a V4/A4 version too ;-)

I'd love to use the ears that come with it but I can never get those things to look right with any of my favorite hairstyles :blank:

I could just do some re-shaping in the modeling room, I'm just feeling too lazy to do it as of now, lol.

Post edited by K0daKumi_8e8836aac0 on
  • edited December 1969

brianorca said:

That's a real photo! lol
    Okay, here's the thing. I know that I really need to get some more plugins, true. But I'm trying to find solutions that don't require that. They seem fairly reasonable, until people start telling you to get this one and then that one... next thing you know, you've got no money, but some really cool renders! So I'm creating 'this' part, and let those who own said shaders take it to the next level from there.
    OK. here's an artificial one (real background, fake whale) done in Blender:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AO_VgqORdVQ
    Unfortunately, Carrara's highlight channel is the limitation here. If you can get what you need into the reflection channel, (perhaps by using GI or glow objects instead of/in addition to lights) then Carrara could do the fresnel there with no plugins.
    The model was created in Carrara, animated in Blender, rendered with Blender's Cycles, and composited in Blender.
  • evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,040
    edited December 1969

brianorca said:
    brianorca said:

That's a real photo! lol

Unfortunately, Carrara's highlight channel is the limitation here. If you can get what you need into the reflection channel, (perhaps by using GI or glow objects instead of/in addition to lights) then Carrara could do the fresnel there with no plugins.
    The model was created in Carrara, animated in Blender, rendered with Blender's Cycles, and composited in Blender.

Very cool.

edited December 1969

Koukotsu said:

Oh, that's the "Techno Tabby" outfit with the ruffles and default textures removed, there's a V4/A4 version too ;-)

I'd love to use the ears that come with it but I can never get those things to look right with any of my favorite hairstyles :blank:

I could just do some re-shaping in the modeling room, I'm just feeling too lazy to do it as of now, lol.Mulberry doesn't need an ears hat anyways! Thanks for the Mulberry fix. But I'm feeling the withdrawals coming on again... :vampire:

edited December 1969

brianorca said:

Good God, man! Wow!
    Fresnel, you say? I did say that I want those plugins, didn't I? lol
    edited April 2013

First with fog...
    ...and then, without.
    The wide open lawn is coordinates 0,0,0, for ease in setting up stuff ;-)

Dense-Forest-Day1.jpg
    1280 x 720 - 338K
    Dense-Forest-Foggy1.jpg
    1280 x 720 - 320K
  • GarstorGarstor Posts: 1,411
    edited December 1969

First with fog...
    ...and then, without.

I think Howie Farkes is starting to look over his shoulder...

edited December 1969

Garstor said:
    First with fog...
    ...and then, without.

I think Howie Farkes is starting to look over his shoulder...Sorry it took so long to respond... I'm still so busy laughing it's hard to type! lol
    Huge Howie Fan = Me!
    His spectacular scenes capture a realism of unequaled excellence in my most honest opinion. This set strives to use enough realism to produce a nice selection of background shots, or even to be used as the scene by itself... but without taking such a toll of render times. To get more realistic results, simply use elements from one or more of Howie's incredible products!

• Kevin SandersonKevin Sanderson Posts: 1,643
    edited December 1969

Very nice, Dart!

• DustRiderDustRider Posts: 2,691
    edited December 1969

First with fog...
    ...and then, without.

Looking REALLY good Dart!!
  • DustRiderDustRider Posts: 2,691
    edited December 1969

Did this for the Biased vs. Unbiased renderers over in the commons. Thought I'd post it here as well since it's done in Carrara. I like the way the paint came out - but the tires could definitely use a bit more work. Light with HDRI and 2 spots.

BlueCar2.jpg
    1500 x 900 - 421K
    edited December 1969

Wow! Seeing that it's still on the showroom floor, what don't you like about the tires? They look new. Totally agree about the paint. Really came out sweet/ Love the glass, plastic and chrome, too. Well I guess that leaves the upholstery, floor, wall, lighting, camera angle, and overall composition - and I like those, too!
    So... when can we take it for a spin?
    Oh... and thank you. I appreciate the compliment. :)

• magaremotomagaremoto Posts: 1,226
    edited December 1969

very impressive DB, no doubt the first is a photo

This discussion has been closed.