Show Us Your Bryce Renders! Part 3

1444546474850»

Comments

• HoroHoro Posts: 10,069
    edited December 1969

Good use of the Greeble Blocks, Dan. Very nice render. This place doesn't have many successful environmentalists, I reckon, air looks quite polluted.

• srieschsriesch Posts: 4,241
    edited December 1969

Horo said:
    Ah yes, Sean, but the default one? When you save the scene, the rendered image is saved along with it. I thought the type of that one can only be selected.

Oh, I see what you mean. No, I don't know of a way to change that one.
  • mermaid010mermaid010 Posts: 4,956
    edited December 1969

Thanks Guss, Horo and David. I don't think my work is gallery material, but it will be lovely to have a gallery, to see all the great renders in these forum.

Dan- I love your alien landscape.

• David BrinnenDavid Brinnen Posts: 3,136
    edited December 1969

Thanks Guss, Horo and David. I don't think my work is gallery material

Well, I guess we will just have to agree to disagree - I think it would be.

So... testing results for this cold morning.

High resolution DTE generated terrain made in Bryce and loaded into Octane... the mesh was 1 gb it took 3gb to convert it! I nearly ran out of system memory. Bryce render first, Octane second - if this forum behaves...

Terrain_import_test1.jpg
    1024 x 512 - 293K
    Terrain_export_to_oct_test1.jpg
    1024 x 512 - 262K
  • ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited March 2013

Thanks Guss, Horo and David. I don't think my work is gallery material, but it will be lovely to have a gallery, to see all the great renders in these forum.

Dan- I love your alien landscape.

And why not. All images are gallery worthy imo. Is how we learn and progress. I have a gallery over on rendo with over 200 images in it. Sometimes I go right back and glance at some of my older ones and grimace. But I leave them there as it is a portfolio which shows just how things have changed in the time I have been posting them there. In some cases I have 2 or more versions of the same image, as it has been tweaked to improve it.

I hope that when DAZ does eventually add the Gallery feature back into the site it will have some classifications that can be added to images, so one can put ones self perceived status, as you could over there, so my first images do state they are "beginner" and some are there as WIP. i also hope they will allow some form of critique to be posted by those viewing, as that is something that really helps, if people will give helpful critique, and not just "nice image" or similar comments.

Post edited by Chohole on
    edited December 1969

If you like what you're doing, chances are that others also do. I, as David and Rashad and others, show my stuff at http://www.bryce5.com and actually submit it to the peers for constructive critique. If you compare the oldest with the newest entries, you'll see that there is some progress. The comments of the peers is invaluable, as is the artwork shown off by others - a source of inspiration and motivation to try harder.
    edited March 2013

@David - you've shoveled quite a bunch from one program to the other. Here, the Octane one doesn't convince me, I prefer the Bryce one. But this is rather from an aesthetic point of view since I don't know what the goal was.

Post edited by Horo on
  • dwseldwsel Posts: 0
    edited March 2013

GussNemo said:
    @dwsel: Those two look very nice. I noticed where the bottom edge of the bottom right tile didn't show through the eyeglass lens in David's Bryce image, it does in yours. And while there is evident of noise in the left image, it's somewhat masked by the intensity of the light in the right image. What causes this noise? Still, they are nice looking images. Nicely done.

I've noticed that too. I have feeling that in Bryce there is no Fresnel equation used for the reflection incidence but only the angle which results in heavier reflections in glass than in other renderers. I dimmed the reflection a bit by making the glass diffuse value darker (around RGB 237, 240, 242) and used metalicity at 100%. You won't notice the darkening of glass because the majority of materials are darker compared to David's image.

The noise comes from the low TA samples - 36 for that image. While 36 samples is enough for applications such as glossy reflections and glossy refractions, and too high for soft shadows (that often look pretty decent with only 16 samples - with 64 being really overkill for them), 36 samples it's really insufficient for rendering ibl, diffuse light bounces and tracing real caustics with use of TA. For that use 64 samples is a minimum in my eyes. Different sampler model for renderer (possibly adaptive) would be an answer here.

Also posting update to the image: changed light direction and made it slightly darker and underexposed to avoid clipping; 64 samples. The left one is unprocessed, the right one is after GIMP - less and quicker postpro than previously.

Reference link: http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/14050/P1290/#277534

The chrome material came out too bland compared to reference. There are missing some really strong highlights from the sun causing the flare, and that sun reflection or reflective caustic from the glasses on the ceramic tile. Maybe that's just caused by the slightly difference in the camera or sun angle?

03_v2.jpg
    1300 x 500 - 284K
    Post edited by dwsel on
  • dwseldwsel Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Thanks for the comments on my last image - tis appreciated!

Here's my 2nd entry in the Stonemason catalog contest.
    Illumination by 18 Visible, ranged lights and the Bryce sun.
    The whole scene is surrounded by a large sphere with a very low frequency Volumetric texture. The low density areas help create the "God Rays".
    Rendered with True Ambience at 16 RPP (about 18 hours to render).

Content used:
    Stonemason:Urban Greeble Blocks 2
    Spacebones: "Beaver" Shuttle

Applications used:
    Bryce 7.1
    DazStudio (Bryce Bridge)
    Photoshop (custom trans maps for windows)
    Modo: Bridge model

Thanks for looking and for any comments!

Very tasty light setup. I'm enjoying the look of that sunset/sunrise over foggy futuristic city. The composition and colours serve very well the mood of the image. Great artwork!

edited December 1969

Horo said:
    @David - you've shoveled quite a bunch from one program to the other. Here, the Octane one doesn't convince me, I prefer the Bryce one. But this is rather from an aesthetic point of view since I don't know what the goal was.

Mostly the use of the shovel.

Here's another...

Upgraded_lighting_import1.jpg
    600 x 600 - 99K
    04_Upgrading_lighting_v1.jpg
    600 x 600 - 97K
    edited March 2013

@dwsel_ - very enlighting (no pun intended) tests.

@David - the spheres have different materials. There is transparency and reflection in the Octane render.

Post edited by Horo on
    edited December 1969

Horo said:
    @dwsel_ - very enlighting (no pun intended) tests.

@David - the spheres have different materials. There is transparency and reflection in the Octane render.

Yes, transparency is not such a problem for Octane as it is for Bryce, I think Dan mentioned somewhere, or was it Rashad, or maybe both that Bryce transparency is not optimized for multi-core use. In this respect Octane certainly has a considerable edge.

• Peter FulfordPeter Fulford Posts: 1,325
    edited December 1969

The end of another render thread rapidly approaches, so I'll grab the opportunity to congratulate all contributors - from beginners to experts (and even experts who have chosen to begin elsewhere... ahem). Lots of amazing and interesting stuff on show that has been an enjoyable lurk for me.

And, of course, always a soft spot for the TA explorations...

edited March 2013

_ PJF _ said:
    The end of another render thread rapidly approaches, so I'll grab the opportunity to congratulate all contributors - from beginners to experts (and even experts who have chosen to begin elsewhere... ahem). Lots of amazing and interesting stuff on show that has been an enjoyable lurk for me.

And, of course, always a soft spot for the TA explorations...

Cheers! OK can I pick a wise old apes brain? UV mapping software, do you have any recommendations? I have models and I have textures, and I want to bring the two of them together - preferably in such a way as they will play nicely. Any clues would be gratefully received. I've been messing with Wings3D UV mapping/tapping/unwrapping menu and my goodness, it's produced some unhelpful results. So... maybe? There's something else out there. Preferably free, because I'm skint, but I don't mind if it's say, as much as a tank of petrol - for example. I can always take my push bike instead.

Post edited by David Brinnen on
    edited March 2013

Have you tried UV Mapper. THere is a free version that you can download to play with to see if you get on with it.

http://www.uvmapper.com/

Oh and BTW as regards the next iteration of the thread. I will split at the first post on page 101 that has an image or a good starting post.

There are 16 posts on a page. some long running threads it becomes a bit of a competition to claim "ownership" of the thread for the next 100 pages, for some strange r reason.

Post edited by Chohole on
    edited December 1969

chohole said:
    Have you tried UV Mapper. THere is a free version that you can download to play with to see if you get on with it.

Oh and BTW as regards the next iteration of the thread. I will split at the first post on page 101 that has an image or a good starting post.

There are 16 posts on a page. some long running threads it becomes a bit of a competition to claim "ownership" of the thread for the next 100 pages, for some strange r reason.

Thanks Pam I'll give it a go - it is in my price range!

• Peter FulfordPeter Fulford Posts: 1,325
    edited December 1969

UV Mapper would have to be my suggestion too. But as you know I'm way out of date on this 3D lark so have no idea if there's anything new out there of merit. More old than wise, this ape.

• necro-agent-7necro-agent-7 Posts: 2
    edited December 1969

Hi everyone. I am a semi pro artist and I love using Bryce, I had a discussion with David Brinnen and he suggested I share my Bryce animations here. Here is the link. http://mvisioninc.com/arenas.html Here you will find walkthrough animations for lazer quest and bazooka ball arenas. I hope you enjoy them. The textures and shapes were created in photoshop and imported in Bryce.

• Dan WhitesideDan Whiteside Posts: 497
    edited December 1969

As always, thanks for the comments on my image. Caldari Prime is the home planet of the uber-industrial Caldari, from the MMOG EVE On-Line - definitely not an environmentally conscience society (LOL).

And on the Intel Mac, transparency only uses one core (including clouds in Bryce skies) as well as terrains. This was not always the case but cropped up at the end of the B6 dev cycle.

• TrishTrish Posts: 2,625
    edited March 2013

Beautiful work everyone!!! well if you don't see me for awhile.....I'm playing with my new stuff from David and Horo ...Tileable HR terrains,ground tex. tiles and matching Terrain,HDRI Cap vol. skies 1 and 50 metals Teppenhalle set....This will keep me busy for quite sometime...Thankyou so much for creating these things to help us( ME) learn!!!!.....Trish

Post edited by Trish on
  • GussNemoGussNemo Posts: 1,855
    edited December 1969

@dan: A really nice image you've created. Has that Blade Runner look.

• TLBKlausTLBKlaus Posts: 70
    edited March 2013

Hello again all, here are my latest chess pics, and some other older ones...... :D

visitorsdev.jpg
    1500 x 750 - 729K
    discorporate2wp.jpg
    1365 x 768 - 692K
    gate2dev.jpg
    1500 x 750 - 976K
    chess13-12wp.jpg
    1280 x 720 - 1M
    chess13-11wp.jpg
    1280 x 720 - 838K
    Post edited by TLBKlaus on
  • GussNemoGussNemo Posts: 1,855
    edited December 1969

@TLBKlaus: Impressive, nice work. The last image reminds me of Independence Day.

I finally got around to finishing(?) David's first woven cube tutorial; the cube was made but needed completed in Bryce. The lighting might be just as David showed, I'd have to watch the video again, but I rather like the results with the material used on the cube. The only difference between the two images with shadow is the color of the material for the infinite plane. The cube without shadow has the sun disabled, I was curious to see the affect. Disabling the sun also changed the color of the material of the infinite plane, something I rather like. Still in all, I'm rather pleased with these three images. As usual, comments are gladly welcomed.

Woven_Cube_144_757_x_758_3.png
    757 x 757 - 500K
    Woven_Cube_144_757_x_758_2.png
    757 x 757 - 523K
    Woven_Cube_144_757_x_758_1.png
    757 x 757 - 539K
    edited December 1969

chohole said:
    And why not. All images are gallery worthy imo. Is how we learn and progress. I have a gallery over on rendo with over 200 images in it. Sometimes I go right back and glance at some of my older ones and grimace. But I leave them there as it is a portfolio which shows just how things have changed in the time I have been posting them there. In some cases I have 2 or more versions of the same image, as it has been tweaked to improve it.

I can relate to this, I don’t have a gallery anywhere nor have I uploaded my images online but I go through my old graphic stuff from time to time. I shared my work with friends via emails. I messed with a lot of graphic programs but these days I only use Bryce and a bit of Photoshop.

If you like what you're doing, chances are that others also do. I, as David and Rashad and others, show my stuff at http://www.bryce5.com and actually submit it to the peers for constructive critique. If you compare the oldest with the newest entries, you'll see that there is some progress. The comments of the peers is invaluable, as is the artwork shown off by others - a source of inspiration and motivation to try harder.

It is for this very reason that I decided to share my work here and I’m happy I did. :-)

Here’s another, using the Wings 3D part of David’s recent tutorials, I used one of my abstract images which I exported as a HDRI as a backdrop.

hdriex.jpg
    720 x 540 - 313K
    edited March 2013

Klaus-as usual beautiful renders

Guss - all your images are very nicely done. My fav the middle one

Post edited by mermaid010 on
    edited December 1969

chohole said:

Thanks Pam I'll give it a go - it is in my price range!

That link has been on my Raytracing > Tools list since 2004 ...

edited December 1969

@TLBKlaus - nice renders, as usual. The idea with the head is great.

@GussNemo - examples look great. Yes the sun does change colour, light generally does.

@mermaid010 - great idea to use a previous artwork as reflection map and backdrop.

edited December 1969
This discussion has been closed.