Show Us Your Bryce Renders! Part 3

Comments

• MrSilusMrSilus Posts: 71
    edited December 1969

The Second Annual Kit Bash, http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/14967/ , different from the Stonemason contest. There were a bunch of different categories and winners, however I was fortunate enough to co-win the Prop Kit Bash category (although admittedly that could be because there weren't a lot of other entries in that specific category.)

Well, I just saw your entry and regardless of the quantity of entries for that particular category, it's a very nice and creative scene! it's also incredibly detailed, so you deserved the prize :)

• Dave SavageDave Savage Posts: 2,433
    edited December 1969

MrSilus said:
    @Dave Ok, so maybe I jumped the gun. Care to share the link to the submissions and/or winners ?

Yes, Jay won a prize with this entry
    And I won a prize with this entry

Competition is now closed and we're awaiting the final render/vote thread.

:-)

• srieschsriesch Posts: 4,241
    edited December 1969

@MrSilus, thanks!

• bighbigh Posts: 8,147
    edited December 1969

MrSilus said:
    bigh said:
    Bryce 7 - release 8/3/10
    why do you think there is more info here than in the other thread ?
    no one has any info more than whats been posted .

I don't. I just thought I should ask. Maybe there was some sort of development. But maybe I should've searched the forum before I did. Only recently have I returned to the forums, so I was unaware of another thread specific to that discussion.

here you go - link

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/18265/

• David BrinnenDavid Brinnen Posts: 3,136
    edited December 1969

New tutorial on Camtasia 8 - which I've had for over a year now but been afraid of using. The re-install has sort of forced this issue since I can't now find the setup file for 7 and there's no download for that at the Techsmith homepage. And probably I could find it on the web somewhere dubious, but in truth, I should learn 8. So here goes...

Bryce "Nuts and Bolts" - Lens Flare - a tutorial by David Brinnen

Lens_flare_test1.jpg
    1511 x 850 - 309K
  • HoroHoro Posts: 10,151
    edited March 2013

MrSilus said:

I was talking about version 7, which as far as I remember was released in the middle of 2010. I also mentioned 7.1, which was indeed released later, but 1 year and 7 months is still quite a long period between updates...

I don't want to come off as someone bashing Bryce's lack of updates just for the sake of bashing. I genuinely care about Bryce and would love to see it updated / improved. It's like what they say about couples that fight. When they stop fighting, it's because they stopped caring :)

Yes, 7.0 is older. It was an intermediate release. The last development cycle started from 6.1 with 6.3 over 7.0 to 7.1 and it lasted around 2 years. No, you don't come over like bashing Bryce. You are quite right that we must constantly remind DAZ to push Bryce. We're certainly on the same page here.

@Rareth - nice gemstone. I miss the caustics (though I know Bryce can't do it).

@Sean Riesch - I missed that one, thanks for pointing us to it. Great render!

@David - nice (hateful) lens flares. I could have helped you with Camtesia 7.1. But indeed, I also contemplate to use 8, which I have installed for quite a while.

Post edited by Horo on
  • GussNemoGussNemo Posts: 1,855
    edited December 1969

@TLBKlaus: Those three abstracts are fabulous. I especially like the color in the first.

@Tapioca: That's a very pleasant image, simple, but very pleasant.

@David: Lens flair tutorial was very well done, though something in You Tube kept it from completing the first time I tried to watch it. I had to go back to You Tube 3 times before it finally played to the end.

@Dave: That's one fowl image you've created. Perhaps neither white, black or yellow, but this close to Easter they should be an assortment of Easter colors.

My soap box:

A program is only as popular as those who find it useful, and if it has features they are looking for. If they ask for features to be added to the next development and they aren't added, they may continue to use the software but as soon as they find another software with the features they're after they will switch. It isn't good policy to allow any software to get "old" because it will soon be left behind due to new hardware updates/upgrades/development and other software changes which may not allow that particular software run as it once did.

Any time a new program is introduced, or an existing one upgraded, great care should be taken to include as many features, options, etc. as the consumer wants. After all, it's the consumer who will decide how long, or if, they use the program. And IMHO, programmers should never be the ones who decide what the end product will be or how it will act. Those decisions should be left to those who actually use the program. Too many times have I seen software that was asked to do one thing but ended up doing something all together different. And not applicable to the required task, but was made to work and caused much hardship for those using it.

edited December 1969

GussNemo said:
    @David: Lens flair tutorial was very well done, though something in You Tube kept it from completing the first time I tried to watch it. I had to go back to You Tube 3 times before it finally played to the end.

Yes you are not the only one it is playing up. Youtube will not let me upload it again for some reason, so I will upload a copy to Vimeo and put a link in the description. Thanks for letting me know it was broke - it plays fine for me - weird. Hope it is not because of using Camtasia 8. That would be very annoying.

edited December 1969

GussNemo said:

Yes you are not the only one it is playing up. Youtube will not let me upload it again for some reason, so I will upload a copy to Vimeo and put a link in the description. Thanks for letting me know it was broke - it plays fine for me - weird. Hope it is not because of using Camtasia 8. That would be very annoying.

It played good for me to the end.
    Maybe just a download bandwidth thing?

I don't know how YouTube organise that, but I wonder if a few people were all watching at the same time at HD, it may stall a bit?

• bighbigh Posts: 8,147
    edited December 1969

New tutorial on Camtasia 8 - which I've had for over a year now but been afraid of using. The re-install has sort of forced this issue since I can't now find the setup file for 7 and there's no download for that at the Techsmith homepage. And probably I could find it on the web somewhere dubious, but in truth, I should learn 8. So here goes...

Bryce "Nuts and Bolts" - Lens Flare - a tutorial by David Brinnen

played all the way for me .

edited December 1969

Thought I'd have a go at the gemstone challenge. I think you don't need telling which is which. Render time for Bryce 26 minutes, for Octane, 51.

Bryce_v_octane8.jpg
    1024 x 512 - 112K
    edited December 1969

Bryce is left because of the missing caustics.

edited December 1969

Yes, Jay won a prize with this entry
    And I won a prize with this entry

Competition is now closed and we're awaiting the final render/vote thread.

:-)

Very nice. Both scenes are very original :)

edited December 1969

Thought I'd have a go at the gemstone challenge. I think you don't need telling which is which. Render time for Bryce 26 minutes, for Octane, 51.

The Bryce render is obviously the one on the le...right :)

Jokes aside, the results Octane achieves are really something...I tried the demo yesterday and followed the tut that GussNemo shared. The interface isn't as bad (in terms of learning difficulty) as I initially thought, but the objects positioning is so different than what I'm used to. I do like that by default it's always rendering and we can even position the camera mid-render. No doubt an advantage of GPU rendering. My GTX 660 seems to handle it nicely!

edited December 1969

While I work on another project, I decided to re-visit a scene I believe was my first to use True Ambience. I really liked the original results back then, but I thought of re-rendering it with a very different lighting scheme and some small changes in materials. The context is a chess board on snow / ice, at night with a fire close by. This is 2013's rendition of my "Icy Move" created in 2011 (can be seen here: http://silusproductions.t15.org/)

64 RPP, True Ambience (TA Scattering Correction), Soft Shadows, Reflection Correction and took a bit over 1 hour to render @ 1280x800

icy_move_2013.jpg
    1280 x 800 - 295K
  • Peter FulfordPeter Fulford Posts: 1,325
    edited December 1969

I like the Bryce interface. Octane is not very friendly.

This.

I'll follow up your trendy forum response with a thoroughly modern

+1

Every time I look at an Octane workflow screen-capture I see a gloriously lit scene surrounded by an accountant's spreadsheet that's having a bad trip on LSD.

I suppose I should grow up and stop scribbling with my Bryce crayons, but... why?

edited December 1969

I can't stop myself from collecting motorcycle models and Brycifying them.

This is a Kawasaki VN1500 imported into Bryce from Poser, all materials re-done.

VN1500.jpg
    800 x 650 - 305K
  • Rashad CarterRashad Carter Posts: 1,799
    edited December 1969

@ Chohole: I like that one much better, it's got the light but retained the shadows.

Meanwhile, hot on the heels of Duck Race, we have...

... Duck Racism.

And I suppose I should point out I'm not making fun of racism, I'm making fun of racists.

I'm sure its not what it looks like. I'm sure he just farted or something!

• Rashad CarterRashad Carter Posts: 1,799
    edited December 1969

That motorcycle looks amazing Dave. Really impressive surfaces.

• mermaid010mermaid010 Posts: 5,023
    edited March 2013

This thread is moving so fast it’s hard to keep up, beautiful, inspiring, awesome renders by everyone. I’m still having fun with Bryce and working with David’s tuts, but seem to get more success with abstracts. Here’s another.

One quick question-when setting up a landscape is it better to choose the materials for the terrains, trees, water etc and then choose the sky or is it better to choose the sky and then tweak the materials.

abstract7.jpg
    695 x 695 - 71K
    Post edited by mermaid010 on
  • GussNemoGussNemo Posts: 1,855
    edited December 1969

@David: I watched your lens flair tutorial again and had no trouble this time. I wonder if You Tube didn't have a bit of indigestion at the time. Both of those diamonds look great.

@Mr Silus: Real nice image. Chess pieces look great.

@Dave: Great looking cycle.

@mermaid: That looks like a bubble in a lava flow. Nice work.

edited December 1969

@MrSilus - chess looks fine. Though if I wanted to play on this board, I'd prefer less reflecting figures. From an aesthetical point of view, they look very nice, though.

@Dave - cool bike!

@mermaid010 - nice eye. Landscape, there are different approaches. Some prefer to go fully grey for everything, set the lighting and then apply the materials. Others do the material part first, using a simple light setup and only when everything is in place and nicely "coloured", the lighting is worked on. You've got to find the workglow that is best for you. Fact is, materials can change dramatically when the light is changed.

edited December 1969

Did anyone see the news on NVIDIA's GTC yesterday ?

Octane was used for path tracing. Pretty cool stuff.

Also they had some impressive new tech to show, called Face Works, where they collected 32 GB of facial expressions from a person and then used the new tech to compress that data and give it "life". It then "answered" questions using the collected facial expressions. It looked very good!

edited December 1969

_ PJF _ said:
    I like the Bryce interface. Octane is not very friendly.

This.

I'll follow up your trendy forum response with a thoroughly modern

+1

Every time I look at an Octane workflow screen-capture I see a gloriously lit scene surrounded by an accountant's spreadsheet that's having a bad trip on LSD.

I suppose I should grow up and stop scribbling with my Bryce crayons, but... why?

No you shouldn't have to give you your Bryce crayons. The first thing Horo said about the Octane interface nearly caused me to choke - I can't repeat it here, for various reasons, but lets just say that I concur.

If Bryce's imaginative interface could be coupled with Octanes speed and expanded rendering options, it would offer a place to go for those who are looking for something to give them an edge - instead of a whoring off after other all encompassing software solutions. For example. Anyway, that's my idea, good or bad, I don't know. But it's an idea - I recognise that much.

edited December 1969

MrSilus said:
    Did anyone see the news on NVIDIA's GTC yesterday ?

Octane was used for path tracing. Pretty cool stuff.

Also they had some impressive new tech to show, called Face Works, where they collected 32 GB of facial expressions from a person and then used the new tech to compress that data and give it "life". It then "answered" questions using the collected facial expressions. It looked very good!

No I didn't. Does sounds cool, do you have a link?

edited March 2013

This thread is moving so fast it’s hard to keep up, beautiful, inspiring, awesome renders by everyone. I’m still having fun with Bryce and working with David’s tuts, but seem to get more success with abstracts. Here’s another.

One quick question-when setting up a landscape is it better to choose the materials for the terrains, trees, water etc and then choose the sky or is it better to choose the sky and then tweak the materials.

I would recommend sorting the lighting out first. Then fiddle with your materials. That's just my preference though. What works best is what works for you really. Most of the time, I like to contemplate the lighting first though.

Edit: for some reason your render made me think of the War of the Words. Maybe all that fireyness and the overall shape. Like looking into an aliens eye or the heat ray... Anyway, it's good - I meant to say.

Post edited by David Brinnen on
    edited December 1969

@GussNemo Thanks!

@Horo Thank you!

@TheSavage64 Not really a fan of bikes, but that model looks awesome!

@mermaid010 Cool render. The very first time I saw it, I immediately thought of the Eye of Sauron or something along those lines :)
    As for your question, I make Horo's words my own. There's really no order to follow. It's all a matter of preference, but one thing is for sure, proper lighting (something that I have a hard time getting) is extremely important in any scene, not just landscapes. Good lighting is more than 50% of the way to a good scene.

edited December 1969

No I didn't. Does sounds cool, do you have a link?

I do! Here you go: http://www.anandtech.com/show/6842/nvidias-gpu-technology-conference-2013-keynote-live-blog

edited December 1969

MrSilus said:
    Good lighting is more than 50% of the way to a good scene.

Consider this: visual art is about light. Without light, no visual art except you consider a black rectangle as art).
    edited December 1969

I usually work the same as a photographer would. If the scene I'm setting up simulates a studio, I set the models up first and then light them.
    If the scene is outdoors, I choose what light I'd like my scene to be set in and then build the scene.

Both ways usually involve at least a small amount of tweaking both light and materials.

This discussion has been closed.