Autofit and previous Gen 3 and 4 Conversions

2»

Comments

• PendraiaPendraia Posts: 3,591
    edited March 2013

Since the release of DIM I have been reinstalling all my content. I've now gotten to the stage where I'm starting to convert previous generations clothing to Genesis. I've also bought SickleYields great new product to assist with autofitting. So here I go...

I started with the 50's dress from Bobbie for K4

Process used:

Autofit using SY's Dress
    Sent to Hexagon as I was still getting some mesh distortion(I haven't read up on SY's product so that would probably be user error. Also I'm very fussy about mesh distortion.)

Smoothed the polys using the smoothing tool in the UV and Paint bar in Hexagon.

Sent it back as a morph to the original dress.

I also added a smoothing modifier prior to saving.

Settings: Set smoothing to Generic
    Set weight to .75
    Collision iterations were left at 3

Dress is shown on Julie shape

Basic child
    BabyAT
    Aven

addison_figure_in_B2250b.jpg
    600 x 1000 - 135K
    baby_AT.jpg
    600 x 1000 - 182K
    basic_child.jpg
    600 x 1000 - 192K
    Julie_figure_in_B2250f.jpg
    600 x 1000 - 285K
    Julie_figure_in_B2250b.jpg
    600 x 1000 - 251K
    Post edited by Pendraia on
    edited December 1969

Next cab off the rank All That Jazz for V4

Most of it autofitted with no issues apart from the jewellery but I've found if I just use the jewellery as a prop figure that it's easy enough to adjust it to work and you get less distortions on the mesh.

Shoes were the only item I added smoothing too.

I used the SY V4 Boot to autofit

Settings are:
    Smoothing type: Generic
    Smoothing Iterations: 21
    Collision Iterations: 8

Changing the weight to .75 also shows a slight improvement but these images were at .50

Aven
    V5
    Mavka
    Nata
    Satsuki

Allthatjazzsatsuki.jpg
    600 x 1000 - 132K
    Allthatjazznata.jpg
    600 x 1000 - 120K
    Allthatjazzmavka.jpg
    600 x 1000 - 113K
    Allthatjazzv5.jpg
    600 x 1000 - 128K
    Allthatjazzaven.jpg
    600 x 1000 - 139K
    edited March 2013

Now for Alice Wonderland for A3
    Alice Bloomers

Smoothing Type: Generic

Smoothing Iterations: 28
    Weight: .6
    Collision Iterations: 14
    Collision Smoothing Intervals: 2

SYBodysuit

Julie

Aven

A5

ChibiGirl

V5

AliceWonderlandV5.jpg
    600 x 1000 - 97K
    AliceWonderlandChibiGirl.jpg
    600 x 1000 - 95K
    AliceWonderlandA5.jpg
    600 x 1000 - 101K
    AliceWonderlandAven.jpg
    600 x 1000 - 96K
    AliceWonderlandJulie.jpg
    600 x 1000 - 93K
    edited March 2013

Alice Wonderland Skirt was a little more work...

I tried first with just a smoothing modifier which worked well for everything except an issue at the back of the mesh.
    Alice Skirt

Using a smoothing Modifier and mesh fix

Smoothing Iterations: 20
    Please note: you can get reasonable results starting about 10 but the more you increase this the less mesh distortion there will be. However I find that the improvements after 20 probably aren't worth the hit to your computer speed in this instance.
    I accidently keyed in 198 and the mesh became extremely smooth and square. You also lose some of the drape the higher you go.
    SYDress
    Back mesh distortion fixed in Hexagon and sent back as a morph.

Initial mesh distortion

Smoothing added and changed the smoothing type to Generic

Back issue

Back fixed by sending to Hexagon and smoothing.

back_fixed_using_smoothing_in_Hex.jpg
    852 x 1074 - 492K
    still_problem_on_back.jpg
    747 x 1005 - 512K
    aliceskirtsmgeneric.jpg
    798 x 1059 - 410K
    aliceskirtmeshdistortion.jpg
    795 x 1074 - 418K
    edited December 1969

Previous post didn't show an image with the skirt at 20 smoothing iterations and also an image of what it looks like if you really increase the smoothing. This is not recommended as most machines would have issues at this level with a full render.

198.jpg
    840 x 1071 - 481K
    smoothing_at_20.jpg
    837 x 1071 - 401K
    edited December 1969

Alice Wonderland Apron caused the most issues to convert. This is because the parts of the apron aren't joined and when smoothing is applied will separate.

Alice Apron
    Autofit: SRMDressBase
    Smoothing Iterations: 1
    Collision Item: Alice Bloomers
    Problems due to parts of apron separating. Tried adding extra weight and Collision intervals but it didn't help.
    So I took it into Hexagon applied smoothing tool to mesh distortions on the skirt and the bodice. Needed to be careful not to do it to close to waistband or frill as they will move apart. Sent it back to DS. Added a smoothing modifier so I could collide it against the bloomers. I kept the Smoothing Iterations as low as possible as otherwise it will separate.

Showing initial separation issues

Satsuki

Julie

A5
    Mavka

AliceWonderlandA5f.jpg
    600 x 1000 - 189K
    AliceWonderlandMavkaif.jpg
    600 x 1000 - 139K
    AliceWonderlandJulief.jpg
    600 x 1000 - 160K
    AliceWonderlandSatsukif.jpg
    600 x 1000 - 149K
    Alice_apron1.jpg
    600 x 1000 - 169K
    edited March 2013

Still plodding away and converting my Gen 3 and 4 clothing to genesis.

Converted Bobbies Alice in wonderland for V4 today and took the time to do a render. It converted quite well using autofit and Sickles Dress template. Very minor distortion on the dress which quickly disappeared by changing the smoothing type to Generic, upping the weight to .75 and using a small amount of smoothing (5 for the dress and 6 for the shoes and socks)

Hair is Aryelle autofitted using V4 with the long hair template no smoothing added. Some morphs used including messy and wind.

Character .4 of Mavka and .5 of Julie with Lorella skin

EE Road to Hell and AoA's Fog Camera

I call it 'I want it now!'

I_want_it_now.jpg
    600 x 1000 - 223K
  • MangeyDesignerMangeyDesigner Posts: 129
    edited December 1969

Thanks for all the detailed info on what you do with Hex, I will have to read that in more detail and see if I can make sense of it and fix things that don't fit well when I use Autofit.

I like what you did with the Alice in Wonderand dress for A3 and this clearly shows how Autofit has improved as I tried to use that outfit for a project ages ago now and it was a real armwrestle and I managed to get somethng that worked for the couple of renders I did but it was not a real conversion and each new pose required a lot of smoke and mirrors to get it working.

For what they are worth here are my couple of older renders with this A3 dress on Genesis. They have been heavily postworked but that was what I was going for... also it helped hide some of my sins :)

Alice-s.jpg
    1413 x 1999 - 384K
    LookingGlassAlice-s.jpg
    1413 x 1999 - 314K
    edited December 1969

Thanks for all the detailed info on what you do with Hex, I will have to read that in more detail and see if I can make sense of it and fix things that don't fit well when I use Autofit.

I like what you did with the Alice in Wonderand dress for A3 and this clearly shows how Autofit has improved as I tried to use that outfit for a project ages ago now and it was a real armwrestle and I managed to get somethng that worked for the couple of renders I did but it was not a real conversion and each new pose required a lot of smoke and mirrors to get it working.

For what they are worth here are my couple of older renders with this A3 dress on Genesis. They have been heavily postworked but that was what I was going for... also it helped hide some of my sins :)

Thanks...I started the thread to help provide information on what works for me. Some things translate more easily than others. After reading Blondie's advanced rigging tutorial, I realise that this is because of the way the mesh has been structured.

Autofit has definitely improved since it was first introduced. Sickles rigging system has improved it further.

There are still things that I don't understand, for example what the secondary weight does or the lock distance.

I love your Alice renders...great job!

• KeryaKerya Posts: 10,943
    edited December 1969

... also it helped hide some of my sins :)

Why hiding your sins ... it's what make people interesting. ;-)

The pictures are looking good!

• MangeyDesignerMangeyDesigner Posts: 129
    edited December 1969

Kerya said:

I was referring to my autofit sins... but I don't mind if you find me interesting :P

Those are older renders from mid last year and seeing them both together I like the one on the left far more in regards to the lighting and the composition... but I was focussing on making a storybook Alice character and I was happy with what I achieved. :)

edited December 1969

Kerya said:

I was referring to my autofit sins... but I don't mind if you find me interesting :P

Those are older renders from mid last year and seeing them both together I like the one on the left far more in regards to the lighting and the composition... but I was focussing on making a storybook Alice character and I was happy with what I achieved. :)

The one on the left is my favourite, I like the reflection in the mirror.