WGD Crazy Artwerks

Comments

• wgdjohnwgdjohn Posts: 2,634
    edited July 2017

Here is a terrain I created in Carrara at the end of last year.  I'm calling it North Pole after Global Warming.

[Click image for fullscreen]

Post edited by wgdjohn on
    edited May 2017

This was my entry for Carrara Challenge 31 "Music  for my eyes".  Took me by surprise when it won 2nd place... there was alot of great Carrara folks posting excellent entries.  I only enter the contests to help myself learn and hone what little, IMO, skill I have.

This one is called Mystic Music Land.  I created all the models and terrain you see except for the round speakers I got from ShareCG... there is no sky... instead I used 3 planes to create the background texture... each plane has a variance of one of Carrara's many Special FX which come with the program.

To see more details about the image and and more as well as all my WIP's for this go to Mystic Music Land entry #15.

• IceDragonArtIceDragonArt Posts: 12,548

Lol I voted. 

I will be checking those tutorials out once the weekend is over... Thanks!

Lol I voted. 

I will be checking those tutorials out once the weekend is over... Thanks!

I noticed... Thanks! :)

Also check out the render of the Gold gears below the last one.  I designed those or rather itX3 with no smoothing at all... the tools used are shown in the last tutorial... 10 pics of instructions and 2 very simple renders to show effects of smoothing for the object created.

I've posted the final versions of the CarrarArtist Logo to the main Carrara discussion where hopefully all will see them.  See CarrarArtist Logo if anyone wants to take a peek. :)

Also is/are a few new example of Vertex Modeler tools tutorials... check out Modeling Objects in Carrara - Q&A - Come One and All.

Just added to my Modeling Objects in Carrara - Q&A - Come One and All thread... making an Egg can be found Here.  This shows how to use the Ruled Surface tool and a square path to create an object with 10 polygons... then Smooth it to get nice curved edges.

Grab your hat and go vote for one of the great renders by some talented Carrara Folks they have entered in the Tomato et al,. Carrara #33 Entry Thread VOTING has started.

Note: I enter these Challenges to learn Carrara's tools better... not to win.  Oh and also to get some expert advice and examples from others.

I've just opened Animation in Carrara - Let's Animate - Q&A - Come One & All to hopfully get folks interested in asking questions, learning and animating in Carrara.  Anyone should feel free to drop on by sometime...  I need some company. :)

• IceDragonArtIceDragonArt Posts: 12,548

Nice!  Now that the wedding is over I should have a bit more time to work on my Carrara skills again.  I am planning on trying to enter the newest contest, just figured out what I wanted to do yesterday, on a long drive with my husband lol.

Will also need to catch up on your modelling thread.

You know, its funny, I never thought I would be interested in animation but I find that I am starting to think that maybe, in the future, I might actually be interested.  But right now, I need to focus on my list of stuff I want to accomplish this month lol.

Animation is just plain FUN!  It can also be very easy... or like anything can be as complicated as you want to make it.  Think of a title or logo spinning... and very easy... take it one step or more further and have it move onto the screen in an unusual way... perhaps have all the letters jumbled up and each one moving with a life of it's own... finally coming together to form a title.  Still easy to do.

I'm in the process of writing a quick tutorial on the little I know to make things like the above happen... first introducing the anim "Sequencer" window and only a few of it's tools.  At this point I don't know what they all do... I have an idea about some but haven't taken the time to learn everything since I've simply not used all the tools yet.

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,073

Hey great.  Looking forward to the tutorial.  And thanks for gathering the links and starting a new animation thread.

Diomede said:

Hey great.  Looking forward to the tutorial.  And thanks for gathering the links and starting a new animation thread.

It's up... it very basic... I don't even know enough yet to be posting very technical tutorials.  Earlier today I thought of some anim features I'd seen on YouTube... hopefully I saved them to my browser... if not I'll just search for them again.  I created a very short 4sec anim to show what can be done very easily.

Just posted my latest quick animation example below.  The details are at my Animation in Carrara - Let's Animate - Q&A - Come One & All thread where I have posted screenshots and explanations of the anim setup and shader setup.

It's official...  I've just started a new thread Scene Lighting and Atmosphere - Come One & All yesterday... already it seems to be off to a great start!  Feel free to come and ask questions and get some answers.  In less than one day I've already had magaremoto visit and then Head Wax and MDO post some very good lighting tips.

Here is the main intro that quickly describes it...

Welcome Folks to learning better Scene Lighting and Atmosphere.

Are you wanting to boost your scenes to the next level and beyond?... I sure do.  Perhaps you have noticed some great looking scenes in the Forums, I have, and thought "How'd they do that?".  Lucky for us Folks don't mind sharing their light rigging tips along with creating atmosphere tips.  Here you will learn, I hope to, how to use the correct Light type... how to use them in unconventional ways and what settings to use.  Also creating Atmosphere... how to obtain it with different SFX, special effects, or something you may have not even considered using.

Are you ready?  I sure am.  Let the learning begin.

• That looks like a good start.  I especially liked the video about using the big mac box as part of the lighting.  That was interesting.  Lighting is one of those things that I still don't know a lot about.  I still tend to use store bought light sets and play around with those.  I do have one light set that I created based on SY's lighting tutorial for Iray.  Both Iray and 3Delight have lighting threads in the forums.  I'm actually surprised that there wasn't a lighting thread for Carrara before now.  It was a great idea.

That looks like a good start.  I especially liked the video about using the big mac box as part of the lighting.  That was interesting.  Lighting is one of those things that I still don't know a lot about.  I still tend to use store bought light sets and play around with those.  I do have one light set that I created based on SY's lighting tutorial for Iray.  Both Iray and 3Delight have lighting threads in the forums.  I'm actually surprised that there wasn't a lighting thread for Carrara before now.  It was a great idea.

Thanks KM,  I admit that I've bought some light products for Carrara... but I've yet to find a use for the effects they produce... I'd rather explore how to to create those same or entirely different effects simply by adding a light gel... a simple texture map to create effects and even changing the colour of the light itself.

Some of my links wisk you off to threads that mention Lighting and also adding Atmosphere.  I'll be adding more as I track others down... not a easy job.  Dartanbeck's last post on both subjects inspired me to start collecting everything... well most... into one thread.

Please tell me where I can find the threads for Iray and 3Delight.  I need to check these out to see if anything applies to Carrara also... likely that something will.

• Strange.  I went looking for the links for you and I can't find them.  I know it's been a while since I've seen the thread.  I'll have to go looking through my bookmarks to see if I can track them down for you.  It's possible that I was wrong.  I have links to so many Iray and 3Delight lighting threads, too, that are spread all over the forums.  I could have sworn that there was a central thread for lighting as well.  I'll take a look in my bookmarks and see if I can find them.  If not, we might have to start some threads here in the Art Studio for lighting in Iray and another for lighting in 3Delight.  

I could have sworn there were some already specific to just lighting for both engines.  That's one of the problems with threads that don't get a lot of traffic.  They get buried and are difficult to find.  So far, all I've found are the rendering threads for both engines which encompass everything you want to know about that particular engine.

I looked in the DS discussion for 3+ pages and didn't see anything... so don't bother just yet... they will eventually pop back up to the top... surely someone has them bookmarked... just checked all my bookmarks and zilch.

I'll just posted a question in DS discussion obout lighting for both as well as an inquiry about Atmosphere.  Perhaps I'll get their locations... someone created those if they exist... perhaps someone else with a shorter list of bookmarks will be able to find them.

edited September 2017

There was a new user forum post with a lot of links to lighting threads and resources because that particular new user challenge focused on lighting.  Maybe some of these in the first post would be interesting?

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/144776/february-2017-daz-3d-new-user-challenge-lighting/p1

Post edited by Diomede on
    edited September 2017

Thank Ye... Diomede,  I'll add that link to my latest thread... Done.  Some of those links it mentions look interesteing.  Odd that the one for Carrara is for version 6 since 8.5 Pro has quite a few more lights now.

I've fallen and can't get up! Ha

The reason for my absence....well last wed I fell and broke my hip (trash can - 1, Me - 0) and am currently in rehab learning to walk again. ???????? Patiently waiting until I can return! 

• Oh my gosh that's awful!  Hey, that's a good excuse to do more rendering!  (trying to look on the bright side).  wow, I hope you heal quickly and well! Virtual hugs(those dont hurt broken bones either)

Oh my gosh that's awful!  Hey, that's a good excuse to do more rendering!  (trying to look on the bright side).  wow, I hope you heal quickly and well! Virtual hugs(those dont hurt broken bones either)

TKS Sonja,  Finally I'm back home as of today.  Last week could barely move my left leg that I fell on.  Much better this week but still a ways to go... thigh muscles are hardly working but get better each day... can't put full pressure on that leg yet.  What they did was to put a rod in my left femur bone... then some screws to hold the top which had a perpendicular break... looked sorta like a windy river in X-ray I saw.

I've been having fun with the Therapists... other patients complained as I did about the devices and pain techniques and machines they use... so I gave them a name and they are now know as ... "The Ninja Torture Squad"...  since they wear "all or mostly black" and can sneak up without being heard.   I'd been thinking about a subtitle for them which I came up with yesterday, note that the name of the hospital and the re-hab center is Mercy,  so the subtitle is "The Miracle Workers Who Show No Mercy".

I've made the best of my situation and entertained other patients and the therapists.  Picture this... either in the dinning area or the therapy room I would cup my hands around my mouth to form a makeshift funnel speaker... lower my voice and say "In this corner we have "The Ninja Torture Squad"... [[ short pause and from diff angle ]]... And in this corner we have "Trouble".  Someone had given me the nickname of "Trouble".

• Haha, its good that you have a great attitude, people heal much faster when they retain a sense of humor.  I am aquainted with pin and and screws myself, so I understand where you are coming from.  And nothing worse than not being able to do for yourself.  But if you can still laugh and joke, you are doing good!  Glad to hear its going well!

• wgdjohn said:

I've fallen and can't get up! Ha

The reason for my absence....well last wed I fell and broke my hip (trash can - 1, Me - 0) and am currently in rehab learning to walk again. ???????? Patiently waiting until I can return! 

Now why would you go and let that trash can win?!!! Ouch!  They have you in rehab already?  Wow.  Well, do what they tell you, try not to do too much all at once, and get better soon.  It's good that you are having such a good attitude about it all.  I like the nicknames.  Somehow, I can picture you as Trouble.  And, hey, you get to set off metal detectors now!  

Please be careful.  

Ouch... is what I thought at first... This happened Wednesday, September 6th at 2am in morn... took me til about 4:??am to crawl SpidyLike with one leg and two arms back to garage, dragging durn full trash container with me to garage where I left it behind and made my way into house... lucky that I could reach the garage door close button... then off I went across bottom floor to stairs to my 2nd floor living area... I was very glad that when house was built I'd had them install a chair lift to top of stairs... I then crawled over to computer/desk chair and tried to finish a mini tutorial for my Modeling thread... no luck there as my hands were shaking to much so saved what I had... hee... hee... my hands had gotten dirty so I used screen cleaning fluid to wash them.... shut down the 'puter and headed for my cell phone by my recliner to call someone, my Uncle, it was the 5am so waited 30 mins and called him.  At Mercy hospital got the not great news that it be broke not just bruised as I'd hoped... very good that they operated that evening... 2 1/2 days later they shipped me off to rehab.  Home rehab starts tomorrow, Sunday, also nurse will stop by.  I am very glad that I'd made the trip last month to SS to kick in Medicare Part A which is all I have at moment but should cover hospital, rehab, home rehab and home nurse a few days a week.

After arriving home I've been doing exercises to increase strength in legs and arms as well as getting lot's of exercise using walker a lot... I have 4 canes, I hope to be using one before end of year. This was my first broken bone ever... hope to never break another.

I've gotten a few kewl ideas for Crazy John's Modeling from the rehab center, took a few pics of the "torture chamber... area" and am planning on a kewl logo and render for "The Ninja Torture Squad"... they seemed happy and in expectation for it... but told them not to hold their breath.

• Yep, that sounds like a typical guy.  Sit there in pain going all stoic because you don't want to disturb anyone.  I know.  I live with one of those.  I'd practically have to drag him to the hospital if anything were to happen to him.  That's good about the medicare.  If you can get it, you should use it.  That's what it's there for.  I definitely want to see what you manage to model.  I've seen a few of those PT torture chambers.  They do have some cool toys.  A "Ninja Torture Squad" render sounds kind of fun.  :)  

Take it easy and don't overdo it with the PT when they get you started.  Ease into it and listen to your body.  It knows when you need to slow down and take a break.  But, yeah, keep moving.  Get things circulating.

Been searching off an on all day at DAZ and on Google for the uniform similar to what the NTS wears... no luck at DAZ but Google turns up some garb that is close. Will have to try elsewhere tomorrow... too bad that I didn't take a pic which all the PTs, OTs, RNs, Techs etc, wear... good thing is that I have email addys for 2 of the Ninjas that treated me most often, might just ask if they can send me a pic or more info on their uniforms.  Even better is if could drop in on them sometime before they leave work and there are no more patients in PT torture chamber.   Never modeled clothing before but planned to... this could be my big chance...  if it turns out well may as well submit it as a product... same goes for some of the equipment, torture devices, that NTS use to work their miracles... had I been thinking more clearly I'd have taken close-ups of each device for more details.  I strive for perfectionism in modeling etc, but don't always accomplish my goal... I have been doing a lot better with the excellent help from others that frequent my Modeling thread... often I will post How NOT to model as well as some fairly good mini tutorials about using the Vertex Model room.  For some of the torture devices my warped mind want's to pitch in a bed of nails  and a few others as seen in the TV "Addams Family" rec room... bwahahaha. :)

To late to tell me to not overdo it, did that yesterday, so took it easy til PT left today,... left leg been aching since then so have only been using walker a bit but have done some weight lifting to build up arm strength... still do some leg exercises but not like yesterday... perhaps tomorrow. cool

Oh, no, physical therapy!  Absolutely essential, but oh so painful.  Do your exercises so that you can have as much range of motion as possible.  And remember, they are torturing you because it is their job.  Feel better soon.

I have some tongue-in-cheek jokes about the young women who would have become nuns a couple generations ago now becoming physical therapists, but only people of a certain age who went to Catholic grade school would get the joke, and only if they were fellow urchins.  devil

Celebrated 1st week home from Rehab Center by not taking pain med last night or today.  Luckily I have mostly hardwood floor so zoom around, carefully and slowly, for exercise from sitting at computer too long... couple times a day.  Got to go grab a Pepsi and see if I can finish dishes tonight.  Been coming up with creative ways to get things from here to there and back etc.