Sketchy - Toon and Art Style Shaders for Iray [Commercial]

Comments

• TJohnTJohn Posts: 11,010
    3dOutlaw said:

First Sketchy, then adding stuff to Fastgrab.  Very sneak way to drain my bank account on your products...!  cheeky

Different DT. Digital Touch. smiley

• 3dOutlaw3dOutlaw Posts: 2,470

Scroll down, Skies of iRadiance, etc...

• TJohnTJohn Posts: 11,010

Oops... My bad, I own all those. blush

• Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,886

Liking this more and more.

I had been working on trying to refine some drawn-style work before this came out, and... the results were often inconsistent, took a lot of work to hammer down, and still sometimes just didn't look quite right.

Sketchy is VASTLY improving my workflow.

• IceDragonArtIceDragonArt Posts: 12,548

I'm so looking forward to trying this. I broke down and got it.  I'm so excited that this will not only do lines but turn everything shades of black and white.  I want to use this so I can do a render, then do the lines and remove the color and then paint it. Either by starting with cell painting or just straight up painting it. I've been looking for something like this forever.

So making like black and white art to color? That's a cool idea! Looks like it could work with the right lighting a little bit of post work:

Exactly!

• Ghosty12Ghosty12 Posts: 1,979
    edited March 2017

Liking this more and more.

I had been working on trying to refine some drawn-style work before this came out, and... the results were often inconsistent, took a lot of work to hammer down, and still sometimes just didn't look quite right.

Sketchy is VASTLY improving my workflow.

Yes and well who knew that fiddling around with this product would get me interested, I have found one caveat though is that if a surface is to given the emission flag you can not toon it even with telling it not to replace it, it still removes the emission settings.. :(  So have yet to work out how to stop it doing that if it is at all possible to do so..

Post edited by Ghosty12 on
  • The Sketchy shader doesn't have any emissive properties so there's no way for it to create light it's self, but it can be used in the same scene as other shaders with emissive properties without any issue.  Is there a situation where you're trying to have both emissive and sketch on the same surface?

• Ghosty12Ghosty12 Posts: 1,979

The Sketchy shader doesn't have any emissive properties so there's no way for it to create light it's self, but it can be used in the same scene as other shaders with emissive properties without any issue.  Is there a situation where you're trying to have both emissive and sketch on the same surface?

Basically glowing eyes mainly, but I might have an idea around that, the other thing I am having trouble with is glass which is troublesome..

Yeah, the Sketchy shader lacks a number of properties, which is normal; if you have a shader that adds options and you keep EVERYTHING people might want from the original shaders, you end up with a shader that renders. Really. Reeeeeeallllly. Slooooooooooooowwwwwlly.. One option is that you could use my art shaders on a geo shell (Outline, specifically) if you absolutely need to. It doesn't look as cool as sketchy, but, well, better than nothing. ;)

• KA1KA1 Posts: 1,012

Okay, after some playing and re-watching the tutorial video I think I may be getting the hang of using this tasty little toolset of glorious shading beauty:

• Sphinx MagooSphinx Magoo Posts: 572

I have a question which I can't seem to find the answer for in the PDF: Is there a way to change the shading blend so that there's a sharper edge between the diffuse and shaded areas?

I'm playing with Sketchy again after some time away from it. So please bear with me if I'm asking something that's been answered before.

• Sphinx MagooSphinx Magoo Posts: 572

I've been playing with the settings a bit. This gent uses Sketchy for all of the surfaces except for the glowy bits which are all Iray emitters from various products. I nudged the specular Sketchy settings a bit to simulate a metallic look for the armor and for the leathery look as well.

IronOutcast04_iToon.png
    464 x 600 - 275K
  • wistfultigerwistfultiger Posts: 30
    edited July 2017

I've been playing with the settings a bit. This gent uses Sketchy for all of the surfaces except for the glowy bits which are all Iray emitters from various products. I nudged the specular Sketchy settings a bit to simulate a metallic look for the armor and for the leathery look as well.

Very nice effect. Not one that I would expect from Sketchy, but I like it. (If you figure out the answer to your shading blend question, I'm curious to know it.)

Post edited by wistfultiger on
  • vrba79vrba79 Posts: 1,297

Are there advantages of using this, over say, PwToon?

Well, if you like Iray and want to use your GPU.

• kaotkblisskaotkbliss Posts: 2,914

I just picked this up and am just now experimenting with it.

• vrba79vrba79 Posts: 1,297

Well, if you like Iray and want to use your GPU.

So really not worth picking up, if you've already got something similar that works just fine then.

• KnittingmommyKnittingmommy Posts: 8,191
    edited August 2017

I think it's worth it.  You can get some interesting effects with Sketchy that you can't really get with the others.  Since it's a shader, I actually think it's easier to use.  But then, I love playing with surface settings and I have a lot of fun playing with the settings to see what they can do.  It renders fairly fast so I think it is comparable to render times with 3Delight.  

Edit:  I should note that I render CPU only when rendering with Iray

Post edited by Knittingmommy on

I have a scene that uses something like 1.2 GiB for geometry, 1.4 GiB for textures (after using optimizer to shrink everything to around 500x500 px) and it used to take upwards of around 4-6 hours to render (I think)

After applying the Sketchy 01 Draw Style Diffuse Cross Hatch at default settings to every surface that wasn't set as an Iray glass shader or emmissive, my render time went down to about 2 hours :)

Vrba: no, it just depends.

For example, if I'm rendering a large image, I often find Iray is faster.

Or I like Iray lighting.

Or I want a mix of cartoonish and realistic stuff.

I was having a ton of reflections off surfaces that shouldn't have reflections, so I selected everything and set the Specular strength to 0

Now I don't have any light in my scene LOL

Going to close and try to rerender and see if it was a hiccup, if not then I'll have to add a little bit of Specular Strength back in

Ok, I've run into a new problem with sketchy that I can't seem to fix.

Certain surfaces seem to render all black even after shutting down and restarting Daz. The only thing they seem to have in common is that they are surfaces that are horizontal (But not all horizontal surfaces do this I don't think)

All I did was apply the shader Sketchy 01 Draw Style Diffuse Cross Hatch and set the specular strength to 0 (same as I did with all other surfaces). I've tried adding lights to bring out the black areas, but it's not changing anything at all. I tried adding just a tiny bit of specular strength, but that just added reflections in the black. I tried messing with the surface settings but haven't found any that have fixed this yet :(

I thought it was because the surfaces were below the 0y plane, but some surfaces that this is affecting are above 0y and I tried moving everything up above but that had no effect. (And I do have draw ground off)

1 attached image is before applying sketchy, the other is after using the shader. 1 light does seem to be affecting a small area, but no ther lights will

Panel 002.png
    1920 x 1440 - 4M
    Panel 002a.png
    1920 x 1440 - 4M

That's an inherent problem with Normal based outlining. The only solution is to reduce the outlining threshold for those surfaces or change camera angles.

See, the way it works is that it is using the angle of a surface perpendicular to the camera view to determine when to draw black or not.

But if a surface is very shallow/flat, it's going to tend to be either all clear or all black.

Thank you :)

Now I know what settings to adjust to fix this

I tried changing the camera angle (as well as changing from world coordinates to UV coordinates) but that didn't have any effect either. I will mess with the threshold settings

What I usually do is start at the lowest setting and step up. Good luck!

Yep, I found it in the toon outline contrast :)

The higher the value, the more of those surfaces show Thank you for helping me!

• rasnyderiiirasnyderiii Posts: 2
    edited December 2017

Several pictures have that really ugly circle shading rather then the really nice diagonol look that looks like sketched art. More info on that process needs added. Any amazing looking picture posted - put your exact shader choices please. Many of us, could use that help and perhaps improve greatly.

Post edited by rasnyderiii on
  • I have a question for DimensionTheory...

I'm trying to achieve the fake rim light effect that's used in comics and animation for dark clothing.

An example of what I'm trying to do would be like the black/blue clothing in this image:

Or maybe the darker areas in this image:

I think I can do it with Sketchy but I can't seem to get the right look. Could you provide any assistance?

Thanks in advance!

• mmkdazmmkdaz Posts: 335

amazing!

• I have a question for DimensionTheory...

I'm trying to achieve the fake rim light effect that's used in comics and animation for dark clothing.

An example of what I'm trying to do would be like the black/blue clothing in this image:

Or maybe the darker areas in this image:

I think I can do it with Sketchy but I can't seem to get the right look. Could you provide any assistance?

Thanks in advance!

I think I'm on the right track. I tried attaching the rendered image, but I was having trouble so I added it to my gallery:

https://www.daz3d.com/gallery/#images/523206/