Victoria/Genesis figure as vertex model?

cryan_1832017cryan_1832017 Posts: 0
edited December 1969 in Carrara Discussion

(Semi-new Carrara user here).

Is it possible to edit parts of the Victoria/Genesis figure in the Carrara vertex modeler?

I was hoping to be able to get the figure posed (with expressions) using the standard tools, then open the figure in the vertex modeler and cut off parts of the body (specifically the face and hands) as vertex models, and then use that as the basis for further modeling.

However, when I open the figure in the vertex modeler, almost all of the tools are disabled. I'm only interested in the polygons that make up the surface of the skin -- not bones, shaders, UV maps, etc.

Thanks much!

Comments

• 3DAGE3DAGE Posts: 3,311
    edited December 1969

Hi cryan :)

short answer,... yes.

longer answer...

Content figures, are " protected " to stop you from messing things up, so, you need to bypass that protection,. and you need to be sure that you know exactly what not to do,. to avoid messing things up.

open the figure in the vertex modeler and cut off parts of the body (specifically the face and hands) as vertex models, and then use that as the basis for further modeling.

Simple answer,. select the figure,. export as OBJ,. and choose "export with morphs an skinning"
    this exports the entire model as an obj, in it's current pose / shape.
    then you can import that back in to edit it, since it's now an ordinary OBJ model, with no rigging or morphs.

then you can chop off whatever parts you don't need.

This also sounds like you want to make morphs,. ..(and you don't need to remove parts, or export as obj to do that)

You can create morphs in Carrara,.. in the vertex modeller.
    Or,.. you can change the shape of the mesh, in the modeller,.. then save that figure by dragging it to your "My Objects" section of the browser.

I’m only interested in the polygons that make up the surface of the skin—not bones, shaders, UV maps, etc.

Unfortunately,.. they're all connected,. the "polygons which make the skin" are assigned to Shading domains,. and are weighted to the bones, and are part of the figures mesh. so they're also part of the figure's UV map.

This is why the figures are "protected". and why all the editing tools are initially disabled.

By editing a single polygon on a figure,. it's possible to break rigging,. shading domains, and UV mapping. all with a single click.

Two ways to edit a protected figure in carrara

Disable the protection by selecting the figure in the Assembly room, and then select Edit / Add smoothing.
    you'll now be able to edit the figure ,..

Get Fenric's plugins ..."Pose tools" .....I think ! .... it's the one which has "Unlock" and Lock figure..
    this gives you more control over going back from editing,... to a working figure,.
    whereas (edit / add smoothing) is a one way trip...

Hope it helps :)

• cryan_1832017cryan_1832017 Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Fantastic answer! Many thanks. Now to try it... :-)