Luxus discussion

Comments

• BeaBea Posts: 743
    edited December 1969

Is anyone else having problems with hair transmaps? They just don't seem to be showing up in the render at all which means that the hair in this case the skull cap is showing completely

• SphericLabsSphericLabs Posts: 598
    edited December 1969

csampson said:
    "You could create a geometry shell out of the guy and see if that shows up."

thanks for your prompt reply. I'm sure we're going to enjoy your product when mastered. I returned Reality after a few days. This seems to be more stable way.

I don't know what a "geometry shell" is..but I'll research.

I also noticed it cut half the table, chair. And when I backed up the camera, it completely distorted the entire geometry of the scene. I closed all out and will see if it does it again. It would be lovely to refab my old pieces with your plugin. I create so many scenes that i don't develop past render in hopes of better rendering tools.

Seems strange it is cutting off geometry though.
    Is there anything tricky about the camera selection? I'm not using 1 camera. In this case, I'm using camera 9 of 25.

Again, thanks for your prompt reply.

Select the root of your figure. Menu -> Create -> Geometry Shell.

I would try creating a new camera.

edited December 1969

Bea said:
    Is anyone else having problems with hair transmaps? They just don't seem to be showing up in the render at all which means that the hair in this case the skull cap is showing completely

Some skull caps that are using UberSurface get converted by Luxus to a subsurface scattering volume and then the opacity does not work with it. If this is the case, turn off Specular2 Active

• jax_512b7aea09jax_512b7aea09 Posts: 61
    edited December 1969

I'm having lighting trouble.

Simple scene: ground plane and a genesis character. Using 'Sun Sky2' for light. Light angle is set low, illuminating the character's front.

Character is overexposed, as to be expected when facing the sun. So I try to lower the light with gain settings. Nothing changes. I try setting the gain (both sun and sky2) to extreme high/low values; no change. I delete the Sun & Sky2 light from the scene, still no change to the character (although the ground plane no longer shows).

Is there something simple I'm overlooking?

• MadbatMadbat Posts: 382
    edited December 1969

Mordur said:

Simple scene: ground plane and a genesis character. Using 'Sun Sky2' for light. Light angle is set low, illuminating the character's front.

Character is overexposed, as to be expected when facing the sun. So I try to lower the light with gain settings. Nothing changes. I try setting the gain (both sun and sky2) to extreme high/low values; no change. I delete the Sun & Sky2 light from the scene, still no change to the character (although the ground plane no longer shows).

I'm still fiddling with the same issue, but what I've done so far is lower specular and glossiness to almost nothing, and it doesn't come out washed out.

edited December 1969

Mordur said:

Change your ToneMapping to Linear.

• cwichuracwichura Posts: 1,042
    edited December 1969

I am pretty sure you can only use one light with hybrid. Sun Sky2 is 2 lights.

This is not correct. The issue is the light strategy, not the number of lights. The strategy needs to be set to "one" for hybrid. You've probably got it set to "auto". See the Lux wiki for details on light strategy.
  • BobvanBobvan Posts: 2,652
    edited March 2013

He's right I always use Linear also the 4 sliders under it can adjust exposures another very nice feature in Lux itself is film response.

Post edited by Bobvan on
  • jax_512b7aea09jax_512b7aea09 Posts: 61
    edited December 1969

Mordur said:

Change your ToneMapping to Linear.

Thank you, that did it. Changing gain settings now works :)

edited December 1969

cwichura said:
    I am pretty sure you can only use one light with hybrid. Sun Sky2 is 2 lights.

This is not correct. The issue is the light strategy, not the number of lights. The strategy needs to be set to "one" for hybrid. You've probably got it set to "auto". See the Lux wiki for details on light strategy.

I had more or less gave up on hybrid. Glad to know this.

edited March 2013

Bea said:

Some skull caps that are using UberSurface get converted by Luxus to a subsurface scattering volume and then the opacity does not work with it. If this is the case, turn off Specular2 Active

The specular 2 is off on all the hair I don't use that on hair and hair shaders we create. the transmaps just don't deem to be working

Post edited by Bea on
  • JabbaJabba Posts: 1,458
    edited December 1969

Bea said:
    Bea said:

The specular 2 is off on all the hair I don't use that on hair and hair shaders we create. the trnamspas just don't deem to be working Try copying your transmap to LuxRender Opacity in your Luxrender sub-tab, as it's the info in the sub-tab that is used in Luxrender.

• omradiocomomradiocom Posts: 66
    edited December 1969

SphericLabs,
    Thanks for your direct feedback. Much appreciated.

Does your plugin work with skydomes very well? I use them here and there, but they can be cumbersome with UberEnvironment.

Thank you for your answer.

• FusionLAFusionLA Posts: 249
    edited December 1969

I sure like other here I have been using (trying to learn it) Reality 2.5.
    So first off, nice plugin and good price point to have other options to use Lux.

I bought the bought plugin first day, but see this tread has already grown and don't know if these question have been answered already:

1. In reality, I could render to Lux with an option to have a transparent background (alpha setting).
    Does Luxus have this option?

2. Should Random be the default Sampler? ( I thought that was only used for testing).

* The sample render guys have been doing here has it been with Ramdom Sampler?
    It's a little different seeing the imaged rendered in sections and to know if you stop if the quality will be the same for the whole image.

edited March 2013

Jabba101 said:
    Bea said:
    Bea said:

The specular 2 is off on all the hair I don't use that on hair and hair shaders we create. the trnamspas just don't deem to be working Try copying your transmap to LuxRender Opacity in your Luxrender sub-tab, as it's the info in the sub-tab that is used in Luxrender.

where do I find that?
    Do I have to change the hair to a lux material? Is what settings should I use?

I think I found it and I am trying it now :) but not sure I got the settings right

Post edited by Bea on
    edited March 2013

fusionla said:
    So first off, nice plugin and good price point to have other options to use Lux.

I bought the bought plugin first day, but see this tread has already grown and don't know if these question have been answered already:

1. In reality, I could render to Lux with an option to have a transparent background (alpha setting).

2. Should Random be the default Sampler? ( I thought that was only used for testing).

It's a little different seeing the imaged rendered in sections and to know if you stop if the quality will be the same for the whole image.

1) The alpha background is an oversite and the option will be added in the next build and will be to you soon. Someone figured out how to do it with the Extra Settings field
    --> http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/18543/P225/#273978

2) That is what I have been using. According to the file spec random is the default, so it was made the default in Luxus. I am open to changing it.
    -> http://www.luxrender.net/wiki/Scene_file_format_1.0#Sampler

Post edited by SphericLabs on
    edited March 2013

double post.

Post edited by SphericLabs on
  • FusionLAFusionLA Posts: 249
    edited March 2013

fusionla said:

1) The alpha background is an oversite and the option will be added in the next build and will be to you soon. Someone figured out how to do it with the Extra Settings field
    --> http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/18543/P225/#273978

2) That is what I have been using. According to the file spec random is the default, so it was made the default in Luxus. I am open to changing it.
    -> http://www.luxrender.net/wiki/Scene_file_format_1.0#Sampler

Thanks for the quick reply!
    Just starting using Reality and the first thing that seem different was the way it rendered ) in sections instead) and noticed it was faster in Luxus also that might be why among other setting being different.
    So looked this up for LuxRender:
    http://www.luxrender.net/wiki/LuxRender_Render_settings

* random
    The random sampler is the simplest sampler. It generates completely (pseudo-)random sample positions, resulting in low convergence speed. This sampler is only intended for testing and analysis purposes by developers.
    metropolis

The metropolis sampler is an "intelligent" sampler that uses the Metropolis-Hastings algorithm and implements

Therefore, for most regular scenes using an "intelligent" sampler is recommended. The "dumb" samplers are recommended for animations.

I will be looking forward to the Alpha setting fix, It's what i been using a lot to just render a character while learning DAZ Studio.

Post edited by FusionLA on
  • BobvanBobvan Posts: 2,652
    edited March 2013

Again everyone a workaround to have invisible or "alpha" effect. As per the image shown be sure to check output alpha channel then export as low tonemapped low dynamic range

Untitled.jpg
    1500 x 844 - 200K
    Post edited by Bobvan on
    edited December 1969

Has anyone tried this with Garabaldi Hair System?

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

Madbat said:

Garibaldi hair is RiCurve based...meaning it is usable only in Renderman compliant renderers that implement RiCurves (most of them), but it does have the option to export as an obj, which is what needs to be done in order to use it in other renderers.

• marblemarble Posts: 7,449
    edited December 1969

mjc1016 said:
    Madbat said:

Garibaldi hair is RiCurve based...meaning it is usable only in Renderman compliant renderers that implement RiCurves (most of them), but it does have the option to export as an obj, which is what needs to be done in order to use it in other renderers.

Except that you lose all the fine detail and shading settings when exported as an obj. The strands look like wire rather than hair (which you need to colour yourself). If anyone knows a way around this, I'd love to know because I really like the Garibaldi product but I also render still scenes in lux.

edited December 1969

Thanks! I was kind of expecting something like that. What kind of performance hit does that give when you render it as an object? I'm wanting to make a few furred characters, so there would be quite a bit of the stuff.

Also, I've poked about for some examples of flame and plasma, anyone tried that yet? I haven't seen any examples yet.

I have a render going right now that's looking really good, although there's quite a bif of noise still. Some renders take a lot of time, but that's likely my render settings. So far, I'm really impressed with Luxus. It reminds me of using povray way back when.

• DrPingyDrPingy Posts: 78
    edited December 1969

Thank you for LUXUS.
    It's a big and great step from Reality 2.5 to Luxus. Finally I can adjust everything (almost everything) without file hacks.
    After a test phase by us user, it will work perfectly.
    So I start with testing and have a question:
    In LuxRender Log I got an multiple error:
    after loading bump maps:
    [2013-03-13 13:06:35 Error: 14] Static loading of float texture 'subtract' failed.
    [2013-03-13 13:06:35 Error: 41] Couldn't find float texture named 'bump_texture0'

How can I solve this Problem?

I testet some scenes and I found this problem again and again.

edited December 1969

Bea said:
    Jabba101 said:
    Bea said:
    Bea said:

The specular 2 is off on all the hair I don't use that on hair and hair shaders we create. the trnamspas just don't deem to be working

Try copying your transmap to LuxRender Opacity in your Luxrender sub-tab, as it's the info in the sub-tab that is used in Luxrender.

where do I find that?

I think I found it and I am trying it now :) but not sure I got the settings right

I am still not able to get the hair transmaps to work :(

I do like the way you can set it rendering and it just plods on without slowing down the computer too much, but the transmaps is really bugging me :( :(

edited December 1969

Bea said:
    Bea said:
    Jabba101 said:
    Bea said:
    Bea said:

The specular 2 is off on all the hair I don't use that on hair and hair shaders we create. the trnamspas just don't deem to be working

Try copying your transmap to LuxRender Opacity in your Luxrender sub-tab, as it's the info in the sub-tab that is used in Luxrender.

where do I find that?

I am still not able to get the hair transmaps to work :(

I do like the way you can set it rendering and it just plods on without slowing down the computer too much, but the transmaps is really bugging me :( :(

Tell me(or pm) which hair it is and I will see what I can figure out.

• BlackFeather1973BlackFeather1973 Posts: 739
    edited December 1969

Ok, i'm finally getting some almost-half-decent results with Luxus/LuxRender, but still got loads of questions. Honestly, i have no idea what i'm doing :-P

Tried to set some surfaces to Lux-materials, but the textures got lost, so i checked the 'Keep Studio Settings' (i think that's what the checkbox said). That seemed to solve the texture problem, but it also locked my surface-settings in DS, almost like it keeps refreshing the surface parameters. I can still select different surfaces and all, but i can't change the parameters or even scroll through them.
    (Not 100% sure that's exactly what happened, like i said, i have no idea what i'm doing)

Also, the render times are killing me. I knew that would be the case, but still, the scene i'm rendering now has been rendering for 2 hours, it's at 1kS/p and it's still just a mosaic. Will switching to hybrid mode make much of a difference ? I know it all depends on the scene, the settings and the total of your hardware, but for example, if i would go all ridicilous and get me a GTX580 graphics card, would that render 20% faster, or would it rather render 10-50 times faster ?

• RarethRareth Posts: 1,458
    edited December 1969

well I will say this, certain things are a snap to do... caustics for instance..

luxcaustictest.jpg
    1024 x 768 - 36K
  • RarethRareth Posts: 1,458
    edited December 1969

Ok, i'm finally getting some almost-half-decent results with Luxus/LuxRender, but still got loads of questions. Honestly, i have no idea what i'm doing :-P

Tried to set some surfaces to Lux-materials, but the textures got lost, so i checked the 'Keep Studio Settings' (i think that's what the checkbox said). That seemed to solve the texture problem, but it also locked my surface-settings in DS, almost like it keeps refreshing the surface parameters. I can still select different surfaces and all, but i can't change the parameters or even scroll through them.
    (Not 100% sure that's exactly what happened, like i said, i have no idea what i'm doing)

Also, the render times are killing me. I knew that would be the case, but still, the scene i'm rendering now has been rendering for 2 hours, it's at 1kS/p and it's still just a mosaic. Will switching to hybrid mode make much of a difference ? I know it all depends on the scene, the settings and the total of your hardware, but for example, if i would go all ridicilous and get me a GTX580 graphics card, would that render 20% faster, or would it rather render 10-50 times faster ?

I have a GTX 550 ti and when hybrid doesn't crash... it renders about 2x as fast.

• cwichuracwichura Posts: 1,042
    edited December 1969

it's at 1kS/p and it's still just a mosaic. Will switching to hybrid mode make much of a difference ?

If you have "just a mosaic" at 1k samples per pixel, then your real problem is the scene construction and not which rendering mode you are using. There's probably something blocking your lights (like you have a skydome in the scene and then sunsky outside of that) or your material settings are whack, things like that. Hard to say without knowing what your scene setup looks like.
This discussion has been closed.