Realtime GPU rendering using Carrara rigged figures try iClone

WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,711
edited December 1969 in Carrara Discussion

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=URCgBCpLycE

yes the new update I beta tested has gone live so I can share my entirely Carrara created scene in iClone using iMotions and facial animaton

Comments

• 3dtoday3dtoday Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Hi,

funny video!

But I don't really see what you beta tested. What is the workflow you are using ?

thanks

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,711
    edited December 1969

I should have refered to this post
    http://www.daz3d.com/forums/viewreply/258719/
    in the post your carrara renders new hope thread
    I recreated the Dire straits "Money for nothing" video in Carrara doing all my own modelling and rigging
    crappy as it is, it took the usual time to render, about 4 hours
    in iClone about 2 minutes
    imported scene and figure seperately
    figure as fbx with animation using all morphs along timeline so 3dxchange5 could read them.
    I retargeted the bones in iC 3dxchange 5 and used the expression editor to add the morph targets to the iClone visemes

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,921
    edited December 1969

That's an amazing reduction in time Wendy.... so iClone uses GPU? sorry I don't know anything about it.! I thought iClone was for cloning things in Studio! Shows you what I know eh? cheers from Newie

• Kevin SandersonKevin Sanderson Posts: 1,643
    edited March 2013

I think it uses Open GL which uses the GPU, but not to be confused with the unbiased GPU renderers. DAZ Studio has Open GL rendering, too.

Good job, Wendy! Very colorful! It has that early MTV look.

Post edited by Kevin Sanderson on
    edited December 1969

instead of using your computer processesor to render, iClone uses the graphics card.
    like a game engine
    that is what is meant by Realtime GPU rendering.
    it goes very fast and the CPU needle barely moves unlike Carrara or studio where it sits at 100%
    you will certainly hear your video card kick in though!
    in hot weather you might want to make sure your aircon is on!!

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,921
    edited December 1969

Oh I do all my "art" au naturale :) taa for the explantion Kevin et Wedny :) err make that Wendy, am dilixcer... dislexic

edited December 1969

instead of using your computer processesor to render, iClone uses the graphics card.
    like a game engine
    that is what is meant by Realtime GPU rendering.
    it goes very fast and the CPU needle barely moves unlike Carrara or studio where it sits at 100%
    you will certainly hear your video card kick in though!
    in hot weather you might want to make sure your aircon is on!!

Oh ok, thats gpu rendering then! Do you have a product page of this enhancement?

sounds great.

thanks

edited December 1969

is an animation software suite http://www.reallusion.com/
    like studio, Poser, Moviestorm etc
    But unlike the first two, dunno about the last, Carrara rigging can be imported via fbx using 3dxchange their import program.
    not cheap.
    just posting as it is a cool quick way to use and render animation with stuff you model, rig and add morphs to yourself in Carrara.
    not for the arty
    more for the would be Pixar wannabes among us doing 3D cartoons and stuff.

• wetcircuitwetcircuit Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

But unlike the first two, dunno about the last, Carrara rigging can be imported via fbx using 3dxchange their import program.
    not cheap.
    just posting as it is a cool quick way to use and render animation with stuff you model, rig and add morphs to yourself in Carrara.
    not for the arty

I got the update email, morphing something.... I admit I don't understand the first thing in iClone or Xchange... This update will allow me to get head and body morphs? Is this an Xchange update or an iClone update?
    edited March 2013

both
    I will be adding tutes later to my iClone thread

Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on
  • bighbigh Posts: 8,147
    edited December 1969

not cheap.
    not for the arty

I got the update email, morphing something.... I admit I don't understand the first thing in iClone or Xchange... This update will allow me to get head and body morphs? Is this an Xchange update or an iClone update?

its nice but cost to much !!!

• argus1000argus1000 Posts: 701
    edited December 1969

I have iClone. I just updated to iClone 5.4. I plan to buy the upgrade that will allow me to do facial animation to any Daz character in iClone. I think their animation features are superior to Daz or Carrara, although all the rest of the features leaves to be desired. And you can export FBX files from iClone directly in Carrara (I get errors when I try to do it the other way around). And it's a beautiful export too. However, unless I missed something, iClone's renderer is quite primitive. It might use GPU rendering (I haven't tried it), but there are no settings to control any part of the rendering. None at all!

• wetcircuitwetcircuit Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

argus1000 said:
    I have iClone. I just updated to iClone 5.4. I plan to buy the upgrade that will allow me to do facial animation to any Daz character in iClone. I think their animation features are superior to Daz or Carrara, although all the rest of the features leaves to be desired. And you can export FBX files from iClone directly in Carrara (I get errors when I try to do it the other way around). And it's a beautiful export too. However, unless I missed something, iClone's renderer is quite primitive. It might use GPU rendering (I haven't tried it), but there are no settings to control any part of the rendering. None at all!

My goal is to do the animating in iClone with the realtime preview, then export and render in Carrara.
    edited December 1969

My goal is to do the animating in iClone with the realtime preview, then export and render in Carrara.

That's the idea.

• bighbigh Posts: 8,147
    edited December 1969

argus1000 said:

That's the idea.

that's why I do my set up in DS - then render it in Carara .

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,103
    edited December 1969

bigh said:
    argus1000 said:

That's the idea.

that's why I do my set up in DS - then render it in Carara .Animation setup in DS? What's your trick? Did you get those new timeline thingies from GoFigure? What don't you guys like about animating in Carrara?
    Not being weird - I just want to know
    So far I've found Carrara to be the easiest for animations.

I'm requesting GPU render assistance for Carrara 9 Pro. We'll see what happens with that ;)

edited December 1969

I know that we're all different in what we find to be easier. But I'm constantly on the lookout for new ways that I can use any of the following to interact together in my workflow:
    D|S, Hex, Bryce, Carrara, Dogwaffle, Curvy3d, and now Genetica

Poser is still within this circle for its wonderful "Walk Cycle" window. Another addon I'd love to see in Carrara.

edited December 1969

What don't you guys like about animating in Carrara?

I love animating in Carrara. That's where I do my final set up. I frequently use Animate 2 in Daz Studio for my primary setup,. I also use iClone's advanced animation features, like foot and hand contacts, a wonderful walk designer (motion puppet), mix moves, the easy way to have a character walk along a path while projecting that path onto a terrain, and all kinds of "reach at" and "masks" functions not found in Carrara. Simply, I use the best of the animations features in both Daz Studio and iClone, setup my scene and render the whole thing in Carrara.

edited December 1969

I'm gonna have to take a look at this iClone.

edited December 1969

Sorry if I missed it in here, but can the characters native to iClone be imported (with animations) into Carrara?
    The cost looks nice - so does the functionality. Like Head Wax, I always imagined this software as something entirely different, that I'd have no use for - simply because of the name. lol

edited December 1969

there is a free useable demo with watermark that just uses their content.
    lots of fun to play around in and do converations has inbuilt text to speech too.
    I started off my 3D life with iClone discovering Carrara about 4 or more months later
    C5pro on a mag cover disc
    and
    actually used it (Carrara) BEFORE I found out about Daz studio! (was Evocia)
    Reallusion's crazy talk a photo face animating program was factory installed on my Dell laptop
    and I visited their site and found iClone and 3D animation!

edited December 1969

Hey Wendy, do those native iClone people import into Carrara with their animations? I would have to buy 3dxchange to bring Rosie and Dart in there, eh?

edited December 1969

Sorry if I missed it in here, but can the characters native to iClone be imported (with animations) into Carrara?
    The cost looks nice - so does the functionality. Like Head Wax, I always imagined this software as something entirely different, that I'd have no use for - simply because of the name. lol

you need the pipeline version of 3dxchange5 which is very dear but allows you to use the default content in games, so is a gaming license too.
    you can buy gaming licenses for other iClone content to enable export.
    yes I have it (advantage of beta testing stuff!) it works only with C8.5 beta not the 8.1 production build.
    I rarely use it though as I mostly get stuff in, not out of iClone but have on occasion found it handy.
    edited December 1969

it has a photo face fit feature
    you can do your own iClone Dart and Rosie using their content too!
    try the demo
    try the demo try the demo
    free free free lol!

edited December 1969

So, you usually use iClone as your render engine?
    I'm looking at their site now - going through version comparisons.
    It would be a long wait before I could get a copy of the Pipeline Xchange - for sure!
    But can say, the standard or Pro iClone alone, export usable animations for Daz people use in Carrara maybe?
    The features in this are very enticing. But I'd have to buy the Pipeline Pro bundle in order to use Daz figures in iCLone - which is a huge savings, but still more than I could spill right now. But if say, standard could export animated PZ2's, I'd be in like Flynn! Definately made my "want" list, that's for sure.

LOL, all this time you've been talking about iClone and I've been wondering why! There don't seem to be any clones that I can see.... lol

edited December 1969

it has a photo face fit feature
    you can do your own iClone Dart and Rosie using their content too!
    try the demo
    try the demo try the demo
    free free free lol!
    I know, right?
    I'm always sceptical to try free demos. If I want it for my work flow, I buy it - usually without ever trying the demo! lol
    This will be a different case. I'll download it when I have time to mess with it.
    The thing is, if I can't use my Carrara stuff in it, or better - the other way around, then I don't want to be all "I really want this!" about it.
    Unless I would just consider rendering in it, iClone. But I love Carrara. So... see how I get stuck?
    edited December 1969

Too bad there isn't a cheaper route to simply import Daz figures. $500 extra for only that feature is horrible. If I needed or even wanted all of the game stuff, I could see it, maybe. But this brings the cost of the lot up beyond its worth for me, unfortunately. Maybe if I had more cash to toss around, but not in my current state of watching every penny. And truthfully, the only thing I was interested in - in that whole, long list of 3dxchange features, was an ability to import Daz3d figures. Only to find that that one feature I need only lies in the premier package. Too bad.

I'll still look at this more. If it looks like I could get those iClone people into Carrara without buying anything extra, I might try that free download, or even buy the darned thing. But if everything created in iClone has to remain in iClone - unless you spend an extra $500, I'll likely not look at it again until someone tells me that such nonsense has changed.

edited December 1969

no unfortunately it stays in iClone without pipeline
    but do try the demo
    it does animated textures too using most codecs! ( not image sequence though but exports to it as well)
    you CAN get alpha video paired carrara renders in on planes too you know!

edited March 2013

lol! I bought PoserPro 2012 this week

Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on
    edited December 1969

lol! I bought PoserPro 2012 this week

cool. were on the same path.

I was liking carrara - but i need more options.

For poser your gonna like walk designer probably. { dont know if carrara has that or not}
    you can get octane now, or reality 3 { this month}. but there both in alpha/ beta stage, so some questions there probably.