Luxus discussion

Comments

• GigabeatGigabeat Posts: 164
    edited December 1969

My first DS4.5 Luxus render post (after a few attempts to understand this plugin).
    Used Luxus Content Sun & Sky2-Daylight and LuxRender 1.2 x64 OpenCL.
    Very happy with this plugin however documentation manual is somewhat light.

LuxusTest01.jpg
    1099 x 1038 - 219K
  • KeryaKerya Posts: 10,943
    edited December 1969

It's already resolved. It takes a while to get things to users.

I am impressed! Thank you!

• davidcaputokeenedavidcaputokeene Posts: 131
    edited December 1969

I hope this is the appropriate place to ask this question. I just strted using DS 4.5 and installed the Luxus plugin. I can test render a very simple setup - no problem. I have a setup of V5 with Garibaldi hair which when I attempt to render stops in the Luxus console at 'exporting: Garibaldi Hair' with an option to 'Stop LuxRender'.

I have had a problem rendering the hair in Reality and was told that Garibaldi hair is not readable output or some such. Is this causing the hiccup with LuxRender and if so is there a way around this as I find Garibaldi dynamic hair fantastic.

Any thoughts or solutions welcomed.

• cwichuracwichura Posts: 1,042
    edited December 1969

You have to have Garibaldi export the hair as an OBJ instead of RiCurves. RiCurves only work with 3Delight.

• davidcaputokeenedavidcaputokeene Posts: 131
    edited December 1969

How do I accomplish this object export - in Garbaldi?

• MangeyDesignerMangeyDesigner Posts: 129
    edited December 1969

I have to add my Wow to the mix.

Thanks for such an awesome plugin :D

I am a long time Reality user who has not been happy with it for a while now and even stopped using it in recent times. the very first quick test render I did with Luxus I just opened a simple DS scene and rendered away and the hair was awesome without any of the tweaks I used to make to the materials in Reality and I was using a DS shader that rendered far better than I could get it to in Reality... so for my first test render it gets a resounding 20 thumbs up :D

great job and I am sooo looking forward to getting back into using Luxrender.

Thanks again for such a very cool plugin that has got me all motivated to think about unbiased renders again!

• cwichuracwichura Posts: 1,042
    edited March 2013

dave43 said:

Yes, it's a function in Garibaldi. I don't own Garibaldi, however, so can't give specific instructions. Check the docs, or maybe the main Garibaldi thread has info on how to do this.
    Post edited by cwichura on
  • BeaBea Posts: 743
    edited March 2013

OK, what am I doing wrong?
    I have added a light to the scene and I tracked down the luxrender light settings
    but when I go to render I pick luxrender via luxus and hit render and I get the message that it can't find the application. what should the path be?

I think I found it :)

Post edited by Bea on
  • KeryaKerya Posts: 10,943
    edited December 1969

dave43 said:

It's in the file menu of the Garibaldi Editor window.
    It will export the hair currently visible in the Garibaldi editor window. So it is recommended you switch to the tweak workspace during export.
    To quickly edit the export hair amount you can use the preview amount percentage.
    I would warn people who want to use this feature that it may create very large files and handling these files may be slow and use large amounts of Memory.

Quoted from here: http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/9943/P1065/#246091

• KickAir 8PKickAir 8P Posts: 1,865
    edited December 1969

Happy to be rendering in Lux again! This uses Candace (the regular texture, not the HSS one) wearing Daydream, the building is Dubious Bank and the ground is from Curator Aquarum. Settings are all out of the box, except I selected everything with a diffuse of 255-255-255 and changed it to 250-250-250. Single distant light as "sun sky2", ran it about six hours last night. Changing the skin surface settings to get rid of that shine on her arm killed the textures entirely leaving her all-white, so I ended up fixing it in post instead.

LuxTest05-b.jpg
    2000 x 1600 - 4M
  • MangeyDesignerMangeyDesigner Posts: 129
    edited December 1969

Bea said:
    I have added a light to the scene and I tracked down the luxrender light settings
    but when I go to render I pick luxrender via luxus and hit render and I get the message that it can't find the application. what should the path be?

have you downloaded and installed Luxrender?

if so you need to set the path to the folder you installed luxrender into in the advanced render parameters.

if you haven't downloaded and installed luxrender read the documentation PDF that comes with Luxus as it talks you through what to do to get a test render with a primitive going and from there it is over to you and your scenes.

:)

• BeaBea Posts: 743
    edited December 1969

Bea said:

if so you need to set the path to the folder you installed luxrender into in the advanced render parameters.

if you haven't downloaded and installed luxrender read the documentation PDF that comes with Luxus as it talks you through what to do to get a test render with a primitive going and from there it is over to you and your scenes.

Yes I had done that :) I set the path to the program file and it started to work but then it stopped and the log said

[2013-03-12 23:31:52 Severe error: 43] SPPM renderer requires the SPPM integrator.
    I don't know what that means?

• SphericLabsSphericLabs Posts: 598
    edited December 1969

I have to add my Wow to the mix.

Thanks for such an awesome plugin :D

I am a long time Reality user who has not been happy with it for a while now and even stopped using it in recent times. the very first quick test render I did with Luxus I just opened a simple DS scene and rendered away and the hair was awesome without any of the tweaks I used to make to the materials in Reality and I was using a DS shader that rendered far better than I could get it to in Reality... so for my first test render it gets a resounding 20 thumbs up :D

great job and I am sooo looking forward to getting back into using Luxrender.

Thanks again for such a very cool plugin that has got me all motivated to think about unbiased renders again!

Thank you for your kind words.

edited December 1969

Bea said:
    Bea said:

Yes I had done that :) I set the path to the program file and it started to work but then it stopped and the log said

[2013-03-12 23:31:52 Severe error: 43] SPPM renderer requires the SPPM integrator.
    I don't know what that means?

Change the renderer to to sampler.

fss8.png
    537 x 1032 - 177K
    edited March 2013

Or if you want to use sppm, then you need to copy and paste this into the Extra Settings.

SurfaceIntegrator "sppm"

Sppm should have been an option for Surface Integrator in the Render Settings

Post edited by SphericLabs on
  • edited December 1969

someone knows the command for transparent background?

• DarkStarr42DarkStarr42 Posts: 71
    edited December 1969

My renders are coming out all black what do I have set wrong? Help Plz Thank You

• BobvanBobvan Posts: 2,652
    edited December 1969

I hope the updated download will be available before the sale ends..

• KatteyKattey Posts: 2,899
    edited December 1969

I went to the LuxRender site and did some reading, and switched to the Metropolis sampler, from the Random sampler, and that did it. It seems Random is that sampler used for testing, and is not recommended for “real” renders. I came back here to post the answer, and there your recommendation was. Thank you!

How do you change to Metropolis sampler?
  • RarethRareth Posts: 1,458
    edited December 1969

Kattey said:
    I went to the LuxRender site and did some reading, and switched to the Metropolis sampler, from the Random sampler, and that did it. It seems Random is that sampler used for testing, and is not recommended for “real” renders. I came back here to post the answer, and there your recommendation was. Thank you!

drop down under sampler in the advanced render settings

edited December 1969

Rareth said:
    Kattey said:

drop down under sampler in the advanced render settings
    D'oh! I looked at the first before posting but there are two of them.

Thank you :)

• StratDragonStratDragon Posts: 3,167
    edited March 2013

@KickAir 8P
    Personal Data? You mean a name and an email address? Unfortunately there may be some bad apples out there who might take advantage of a program developers decision to not include some type of security to prevent their work from being... can't think of the word, maybe it doesn't exist. not saying that that sort of thing happens, ever, on the internet.

@BlackStarr42
    if you renders are coming out black it could be:

1) something blocking the camera, in Reality (I assume your're using Luxus) making an item transparent does not mean it's see through when rendered, you would need to remove the object or convert the surface to a Null surface

2) Insufficient light in the scene

3) kernel settings on the Lux Interface. You can reset these on the interface, I suggest you try the Reinhold Kernal and reset it, see if your image shows up

4) wrong version of Lux

5) possibly corrupt data, try to re-collect your scene or try a new scene just to see if LuxRender is rendering your data. LuxRender comes with a sample scene to test out, you can try that first.

Post edited by StratDragon on
    edited December 1969

Anybody had the problem when after using Luxus and switching back to regular 3Dlight DS stucks on "optimization of textures" part if any other shader (uberSurface, pwSurface) were later applied?

• RarethRareth Posts: 1,458
    edited December 1969

Kattey said:
    Anybody had the problem when after using Luxus and switching back to regular 3Dlight DS stucks on "optimization of textures" part if any other shader (uberSurface, pwSurface) were later applied?

you might try saving the scene, closing DAZ and then relaunching it.

• RiggswolfeRiggswolfe Posts: 899
    edited December 1969

Ok. I played with it last night and got a decent render using my prior knowledge of LuxRender from my days with Reality. However, I can't, for the life of me, figure out where the render was saved to. Saving the .flm and doing save and exit doesn't seem to have actually saved the render anywhere. Am I missing something? Should I have named a jpg file to save to in render settings before starting the render?

• JabbaJabba Posts: 1,458
    edited December 1969

My renders are coming out all black what do I have set wrong? Help Plz Thank You
    This can happen if you're using a "normal" lightdome instead of a Reality lightdome.

Alternatively, if you've made an object invisible via the surfaces tab to get a camera angle, the opacity in the Luxrender sub-tab also needs to be set to zero (the normal opacity only works for 3Delight and/or setting up and previewing your scene in DAZ Studio.

edited December 1969

Rareth said:
    Kattey said:

you might try saving the scene, closing DAZ and then relaunching it.
    Yes, I did that but it is uncomfortable
    Is this is a known issue?

• JabbaJabba Posts: 1,458
    edited December 1969

Ok. I played with it last night and got a decent render using my prior knowledge of LuxRender from my days with Reality. However, I can't, for the life of me, figure out where the render was saved to. Saving the .flm and doing save and exit doesn't seem to have actually saved the render anywhere. Am I missing something? Should I have named a jpg file to save to in render settings before starting the render?

"C:\Users\"UserName"\Application Data\DAZ 3D\Studio4\temp" - at least that's where they'd normally render to, so they'll hopefully be in there :)

• Matt-DMatt-D Posts: 3
    edited December 1969

On a Windows Machine look under Documents and Settings > Administrator > Application Data > DAZ 3D > Studio 4 > Temp

The author mentioned earlier in one of the threads that in the Advanced Render settings in DS that you can select "Render to File" and choose a location and Luxus will sve your Lux Render Scene to that location instead. If you use the default Temp location, all files it creates will be deleted when DS 4 closes. Remember that Luxus, unlike Reality, is very well integrated into DS and so certain settings that you may not always use or use at all in DS cause you never changed them now become more relevant since Luxus makes use of them instead of duplicating the options elsewhere.

edited December 1969

Caboose said:

On a Windows Machine look under Documents and Settings > Administrator > Application Data > DAZ 3D > Studio 4 > Temp

The author mentioned earlier in one of the threads that in the Advanced Render settings in DS that you can select "Render to File" and choose a location and Luxus will sve your Lux Render Scene to that location instead. If you use the default Temp location, all files it creates will be deleted when DS 4 closes. Remember that Luxus, unlike Reality, is very well integrated into DS and so certain settings that you may not always use or use at all in DS cause you never changed them now become more relevant since Luxus makes use of them instead of duplicating the options elsewhere.

If you are using the GUI, you can save it to anywhere, and you will want to do so. Do a File -> Export To Image -> Save Tonemapped Low Dynamic Range Image.

This discussion has been closed.