Garibaldi Express: Hair and Fur Plugin [Commercial]

Comments

• thoreandanthoreandan Posts: 151
    edited December 1969

czexana said:
    Also, the UV map of the object seems to be set up so that the V is from the bottom of the strands to the top (of the longest?) so you can add root to tip colour variation. I've not figured out if the U axis has any spatial correspondence, does anyone know?

From my own experiments with OBJ export and applying color gradient textures in various directions, it appears the entire UV map is wrapped around each strand of hair like a soup can. So variations along the U-axis will appear wrapped around every hair strand.

You may have noticed that the number of "columns" on the UV map is the same as the number of radial faces you select when you export, either 3, 4, 5, or 6. Also, the portion of the map you see on a particular strand from a given perspective seems to depend on the direction the hair was bent and twisted during styling. So if you were to color each "column" of the UV map differently, you'll get regions of hair that are mostly the same color from the camera's perspective, and other regions where you are looking at another "column" from the UV map.

So I don't think the U-axis will be useful to create random variations in color from strand to strand. I do think that can be addressed by creating multiple props, though. You could export your "main" prop at the hair density you want, then reduce the distribution of hair per square centimeter, change the seed number, and then export the prop again. The "thinner" prop could be used to add gray hairs, for example, or just to add some color variation. With clever use of clumping, you could probably use the second prop to create the effect of dyed streak highlights, but I haven't tried that yet.

I have also noted that the color variation along the V-axis will appear in its entirety on every strand as well, regardless of length. So, a tiny stubbly hair that is only one or two segments long will have the same variation in color from its root to tip that a very long hair with many segments will have, the color just changes "faster" on the shorter hair. For example, if you have a gradient from dark brown to light blond, every hair strand, regardless of length, will have the same brown roots and the same light blond tips. If your hair style has hair with large variations in length layered near each other, the effect is not ideal. For example, you can't really use this V-axis color variation to simulate someone with dyed hair letting their roots grow out, because the un-dyed root color should appear approximately the same length on every hair strand regardless of how long the strand is, but that is not how this UV map works.

Speaking of Lux/Reality, does anyone have any thoughts on the ideal number of facets to set when exporting the OBJ? I haven't had a lot of time to experiment with different settings yet. A setting of 3 will create the smallest OBJ file and the fewest polygons, obviously, but I wonder if having triangular prism-shaped hair strands is the best choice for how light will react with it?

• DimensionTheoryDimensionTheory Posts: 434
    edited March 2013

AgeOfArmour ended up convincing me to pick this plugin up last night after some hard thinking, I believe I made the right choice! Very easy to use, installed without issue and just got to making hair.

MichaelHair.jpg
    1000 x 1300 - 319K
    Post edited by DimensionTheory on
  • BrumitDBrumitD Posts: 235
    edited December 1969

My latest render, to see how Anubis would look with fur.

ganubis1asa.jpg
    1200 x 1293 - 471K
  • KeryaKerya Posts: 10,943
    edited December 1969

Age of Armour: wow!
    Would you care to share your light and surface settings with a bit more detail?
    This looks great!

• edited December 1969

I have a question about the presets and hairstyles that can be created. How well would the hairstyle work from one figure to another?
    For example, if I created a hairstyle for Genesis Female, would it port over to Julie and V5 or should I start from scratch for all hairstyles and all characters?

Andro

• kitakoredazkitakoredaz Posts: 3,526
    edited March 2013

thanks advices,,
    and ,, one more qusetion,, I have still^^;

Now I set two Garibaldi hair ,, one of base,, one of main,
    then I have problem when adjust length , part of forehaed .

I cut and adjust hair curves,, but some hair keep the length which I hope not,,
    I read style section agaiin,, and distribute section,, change amoutn etc,,
    after adjust lenght,, I will try tweak and Clump,,so Now I set all parameter of Clump and tweak
    as min value to check other parameter,, ,,

then,, how to adjust hair length more accurate ? ^^;
    Now I keep extrude setting as zero value,,

(I understand there must be the way,, but I can not find )

hairset2.JPG
    841 x 626 - 86K
    Post edited by kitakoredaz on
  • mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

I have a question about the presets and hairstyles that can be created. How well would the hairstyle work from one figure to another?
    For example, if I created a hairstyle for Genesis Female, would it port over to Julie and V5 or should I start from scratch for all hairstyles and all characters?

Andro

Saving it as a wearable allows it to be used on the model it was made for...and any morphs/changes to that model. So a hair made for 'base Genses' could be used (within reason...because there are some morphs that wouldn't really look good on, no matter what) on any other morph...like Basic Child, V5, F5, 'classic shapes' and so on.

• edited December 1969

Thanks a lot ;)

Andro

mjc1016 said:

Saving it as a wearable allows it to be used on the model it was made for...and any morphs/changes to that model. So a hair made for 'base Genses' could be used (within reason...because there are some morphs that wouldn't really look good on, no matter what) on any other morph...like Basic Child, V5, F5, 'classic shapes' and so on.

• SzarkSzark Posts: 10,634
    edited December 1969

I just like to say before a I wade through the last thread for my issue is that I am impressed. Easy to work with, easy to understand the tutorails though I was puzzled on how to erase painting...yes found the Invert Button. Something to add to the Wiki page. ;) But back to the plug-in, though not perfect I did manage to get a crude attempt styled and rendered. We shall see if this computer is up to rendering properly but at least I can now delve in to it an learn. Yes very happy thanks. I look forward to what updates are planned and what other plu-ins you had in mind. Now I am off to do some intensive reading, I may be sometime. :)

• MEC4DMEC4D Posts: 5,249
    edited December 1969

having triangular prism-shaped hair strands is the best choice since it will be smooth out to a round strand after subdivided in Reality or even using smooth faces in Poser or DS or other software , after most of 12 months testing this was the best choice for the programs
    In Reality you can use 1-2 subdivision level and you will get what you need much faster .. especially if you going to rig the model and nothing better rig in DS as triangular shapes of the hair since the other use to explode very often and take to much memory , so why not use the system subdivision what genesis was created for , it is thinking smart .
    Also regarding the UV from nature the hair are always lighter at the tips and darker at the roots , for not natural affects like highlight you can still remaps the hair and create additional UV's for the obj , since anything else is already build to use with the standard plugin version and hair for DS .
    It would be crazy work to create each map for each hair and unrealistic but still you can create cylindrical UV's use poly paint in Zbrush and paint whatever you want with your OBj there are no limits
    the exported OBJ from Garibaldi is all you need

czexana said:
    Also, the UV map of the object seems to be set up so that the V is from the bottom of the strands to the top (of the longest?) so you can add root to tip colour variation. I've not figured out if the U axis has any spatial correspondence, does anyone know?

From my own experiments with OBJ export and applying color gradient textures in various directions, it appears the entire UV map is wrapped around each strand of hair like a soup can. So variations along the U-axis will appear wrapped around every hair strand.

You may have noticed that the number of "columns" on the UV map is the same as the number of radial faces you select when you export, either 3, 4, 5, or 6. Also, the portion of the map you see on a particular strand from a given perspective seems to depend on the direction the hair was bent and twisted during styling. So if you were to color each "column" of the UV map differently, you'll get regions of hair that are mostly the same color from the camera's perspective, and other regions where you are looking at another "column" from the UV map.

So I don't think the U-axis will be useful to create random variations in color from strand to strand. I do think that can be addressed by creating multiple props, though. You could export your "main" prop at the hair density you want, then reduce the distribution of hair per square centimeter, change the seed number, and then export the prop again. The "thinner" prop could be used to add gray hairs, for example, or just to add some color variation. With clever use of clumping, you could probably use the second prop to create the effect of dyed streak highlights, but I haven't tried that yet.

I have also noted that the color variation along the V-axis will appear in its entirety on every strand as well, regardless of length. So, a tiny stubbly hair that is only one or two segments long will have the same variation in color from its root to tip that a very long hair with many segments will have, the color just changes "faster" on the shorter hair. For example, if you have a gradient from dark brown to light blond, every hair strand, regardless of length, will have the same brown roots and the same light blond tips. If your hair style has hair with large variations in length layered near each other, the effect is not ideal. For example, you can't really use this V-axis color variation to simulate someone with dyed hair letting their roots grow out, because the un-dyed root color should appear approximately the same length on every hair strand regardless of how long the strand is, but that is not how this UV map works.

Speaking of Lux/Reality, does anyone have any thoughts on the ideal number of facets to set when exporting the OBJ? I haven't had a lot of time to experiment with different settings yet. A setting of 3 will create the smallest OBJ file and the fewest polygons, obviously, but I wonder if having triangular prism-shaped hair strands is the best choice for how light will react with it?

• Age of ArmourAge of Armour Posts: 437
    edited December 1969

Kerya said:
    Age of Armour: wow!
    Would you care to share your light and surface settings with a bit more detail?
    This looks great!

Thanks Kerya.

Here is a small zip folder with the hair shader settings and lights I used for that render...

http://ageofarmour.com/3d/free/downloads/AoA_hair_shader_and_lights.zip

Oh, and I hope that zip name isn't deceiving. It is not a hair shader I wrote, it is just my settings for Ubersurface by Onmifreaker. Just wanted to make sure I give proper credit.

The zip isn't set up in any special way, just unzip and move the presets to anywhere in "My Library" that you find convenient.

• KeryaKerya Posts: 10,943
    edited December 1969

I love you!
    Thank you very, very much!

• MangeyDesignerMangeyDesigner Posts: 129
    edited December 1969

A new one using the Wild Red sample

WildRed-s.jpg
    1333 x 1999 - 324K
  • ZwytZwyt Posts: 119
    edited December 1969

I posted this as a new topic before by mistake, so here's trying again hopefully I will hit my target this time. Oh and this post is directed at the Garibaldi Plug-In's developer but anyone can chime in with thoughts or additional ideas etc.

While I was tinkering around with the plug-in in the painting stage I was thinking how handy a symmetry feature like Zbrush and Sculptris have. Where if you paint something on one side the exact same thing is duplicated on the other side of the head or body as well. This would of course be a feature that could be turned off and on as needed because you wouldn’t always want symmetry. It would however be handy for painting where the hair is going to go initially, keeping everything the same distance from the ears and helping line up hair lines so that they are nice and in line like they should be, painting mustaches and beards, paint one side and the other side is painted in symmetry. Anyway just a suggestion but I think it would be a useful feature for a future version or something.

Charles

edited December 1969

Something that can be done, to clean up/make things more symmetrical...export the map and open it in an image editor. Do the clean up and then reimport it.

Also you can reuse the distribution maps.

edited December 1969

Symmetrical feature would be great and it was mentioned before .
    I tried to import my own maps yesterday I created in Photoshop but it would not generate hair , I need to use the one I painted in the plugin but worked only when used for the colors not distribution , I may missing something here .. I hope I do
    I even loaded the exported with cleaned it up and it still generated what it was painted before and not from the new maps.. so I for sure missed one step but tell me where ?

• Melissa ConwayMelissa Conway Posts: 590
    edited December 1969

thanks advices,,
    and ,, one more qusetion,, I have still^^;

Now I set two Garibaldi hair ,, one of base,, one of main,
    then I have problem when adjust length , part of forehaed .

I cut and adjust hair curves,, but some hair keep the length which I hope not,,
    I read style section agaiin,, and distribute section,, change amoutn etc,,
    after adjust lenght,, I will try tweak and Clump,,so Now I set all parameter of Clump and tweak
    as min value to check other parameter,, ,,

then,, how to adjust hair length more accurate ? ^^;
    Now I keep extrude setting as zero value,,

(I understand there must be the way,, but I can not find )

I don't know if anyone answered you, Kita, but it looks to me like some of the guide hairs have gone into the head and you weren't able to trim them. You can zoom in until your view is from INSIDE the head and from there either cut the guides or push them back out again. Hope that helps.

• GoneGone Posts: 833
    edited December 1969

Mec4D said:
    Symmetrical feature would be great and it was mentioned before .
    I tried to import my own maps yesterday I created in Photoshop but it would not generate hair , I need to use the one I painted in the plugin but worked only when used for the colors not distribution , I may missing something here .. I hope I do
    I even loaded the exported with cleaned it up and it still generated what it was painted before and not from the new maps.. so I for sure missed one step but tell me where ?

As you probably already know, maps must be 1024x1024 .png files and have the same name as the surface they will be used on. The files are kept in a folder you specify and it is the folder that you import. The simplest way to make sure you have all the correctly named files is to export from Garibaldi and edit the resultant files. Once exported, be sure to delete the file name from the list so that you can import back to the same name.

When you import, the dialog box will come up with grey selected. This is what you want for density maps. If you are importing texture maps then select colour from the drop down.

In the distribution panel, the map is defaulted to "Hair Density" change this to your imported map. If your map does not appear in the drop down list, then it wasn't saved as a grey scale map. Remember to make this change in any panel where the default is "Hair Density" so that the editing you do there will be correctly applied.

Keep in mind that you do not have to use the same map for all actions. For example, you could have a density map painted for the whole head to use for generating hair and have a seperate map painted for only half the head to use as a control map for clumping, hair length, scraggle, etc so that these actions are applied only to specific areas of the head while leaving the rest of the head untouched by the action. You can even create different control maps for different actions.

Hope this helps.

edited December 1969

Gone said:
    Keep in mind that you do not have to use the same map for all actions. For example, you could have a density map painted for the whole head to use for generating hair and have a seperate map painted for only half the head to use as a control map for clumping, hair length, scraggle, etc so that these actions are applied only to specific areas of the head while leaving the rest of the head untouched by the action. You can even create different control maps for different actions.

Hope this helps.

I was just starting to play around with that during the last few days of the beta period. It offers a lot of control doing it that way.

• Melissa ConwayMelissa Conway Posts: 590
    edited December 1969

I tried to import a map yesterday, too, and it didn't work the way I was hoping it would. I was attempting to import my character's face map as a guide to paint on eyebrows.

I followed the advice of Gone and Commorancy from earlier posts on this thread to import a Texture Control Map. The map showed up perfectly, but I was unable to generate any guide hairs either from the map itself or my attempts to paint in the eyebrows over the map. I clearly did something wrong - and I'm pretty sure I was trying to do something it wasn't intended for (the purpose of Texture Control Maps as I understand it is for use in animal fur generation?) (Either way, it would be great if the way I was attempting to use it would be implemented in future...)

As an aside, I did get the eyebrows where I wanted them by:
    1.) taking a close up render of my character's face in Studio
    2.) without moving the camera, changed to wireframe and took a screenprint
    3.) combined the two in photoshop (wireframe overlay onto face texture)
    4.) compared the eyebrow placement on my combined picture with the wireframe of skinface in Garibaldi Paint.

edited December 1969

keeping the same name could be the thing I missed .. and will try it out .

If you import the color maps you don;t have to delete the others or keep the same name I guess it is only important for the Density Map in gray scale .. so the plugin could recognize it

since it working the other way with the colors maps for me
    and I want to try out my density maps I usual do in Zbrush also , as they are the same , just different resolution
    and for me much easy to paint them there and rescale down for the better realistic hair line

Thanks Gone for the tip

Cath

Gone said:
    [Once exported, be sure to delete the file name from the list so that you can import back to the same name.

edited December 1969

Melissa, I just did the same yesterday hoping for the same as you .. so I guess we missed the part with keeping the names and delete the first density maps .. the color maps can be still there for the guide , but what I tried to import my density and the guide for the colors of the hair , since you can create beautiful highlight and stuff using the additional color maps in place of having just 2 hair color .. now I tried the roots with dark blond and light highlights and it worked all perfect .. just need to go back to the beginning and keep the names the same for the gray density maps and see if that works .. then would be just perfect having all the hair on one density map for the whole head-eyebrows- face :)

I tried to import a map yesterday, too, and it didn't work the way I was hoping it would. I was attempting to import my character's face map as a guide to paint on eyebrows.

I followed the advice of Gone and Commorancy from earlier posts on this thread to import a Texture Control Map. The map showed up perfectly, but I was unable to generate any guide hairs either from the map itself or my attempts to paint in the eyebrows over the map. I clearly did something wrong - and I'm pretty sure I was trying to do something it wasn't intended for (the purpose of Texture Control Maps as I understand it is for use in animal fur generation?) (Either way, it would be great if the way I was attempting to use it would be implemented in future...)

4.) compared the eyebrow placement on my combined picture with the wireframe of skinface in Garibaldi Paint.

edited March 2013

I made test at this moment and NO the imported Density Maps ( gray ) does not generate any curves ,
    it works with the color and stuff as well but once the density map was exported and then imported it does not works , even not edited at all, just import and export , after the original is deleted there is nothing left

does that mean that the original density maps need to be there and not removed ? let me see if that work

P.S NO it don't works any way , and again once it is exported and imported it don't work no matter I keep the other or remove them

Post edited by MEC4D on
  • futurebiscuitfuturebiscuit Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

zwyt said:
    While I was tinkering around with the plug-in in the painting stage I was thinking how handy a symmetry feature like Zbrush and Sculptris have.
    I don't really want to talk about future plans about 'Garibaldi Updates' but...
    Symmetry during painting was planned for version 1.0 of Garibaldi but I desired to drop it in the beta as it is just a convenience tool and wouldn't actually improve final results. I had to call an end to feature creeping early in version 1.0 development as I actually wanted to get something finished.
    It is interesting this has come up as I was writing this feature earlier today.

I made test at this moment and NO the imported Density Maps ( gray ) does not generate any curves ,

I'm guessing can successfully import images as a Grey Texture Control Maps? So when you set your control map in the 'Texture' menu of the 'Distribution Settings' in the 'Distribution' workspace it doesn't work?
    edited December 1969

I would be honest, yes I forgot to do that in the Distribution tab .. so there was nothing to be Distributed at all no wonder no hair .. hahaha sorry for the trouble but that is a good thing to remember in case anybody else will have the issue
    now it explain why the colour maps was working and the other not , but I am glad it was my mistake
    I try to make something unusual this time to see how it works

Thanks for the fast reply

I'm guessing can successfully import images as a Grey Texture Control Maps? So when you set your control map in the 'Texture' menu of the 'Distribution Settings' in the 'Distribution' workspace it doesn't work?
    edited December 1969

Gone said:

In the distribution panel, the map is defaulted to "Hair Density" change this to your imported map. .

I mixed the Paint tab with the Distribution tab , well your suggestion was all right

I am not proud of that .. well I am still human ;) just got a blond moment

edited December 1969

Here are some screen caps to show the process.

The first shows the folder I created called Skull cap and the files contained within it.

The second shows the paint panel with the imported file.

The third shows the file selected in the distribution panel. At this point, you should see hair curves generated.

One other important bit of info I forgot - pay attention to the UV template you use!! If you use an M5 template to make your map, make sure your Genesis figure is using the M5 UV set in the surfaces panel before you go to Garibaldi or the map won't line up properly. This is only important in the hair creation phase. Once the hair has been saved as a wearable prop, it can be used on a character with any UV set without problems.

GHSDistributePanel.jpg
    944 x 254 - 43K
    GHSPaintPanel.jpg
    944 x 972 - 220K
    GHSCapLocation.jpg
    374 x 94 - 10K
    edited December 1969

It sounds like you are trying to paint a density map on the texture map. In the Garibaldi paint panel, you can see the texture map OR the density map but you cannot see both at the same time since one must be saved as a grey scale map and the other as a colour map. You can paint on the colour map but all you are doing is changing the colour - not creating a density map.

To paint a density map for eyebrows this is what I do:
    - in GIMP (I don't have photoshop but the process is the same) I have 3 layers - A black base layer, the texture map I want to use as a template, and a transparent top layer to paint on.
    - select a white paint brush with the hard or soft edge to suit my needs and paint on the transparent layer to follow the template.
    - delete the template and merge the 2 remaining layers and save.

Since I normally create the folder I need from Garibaldi (see process described above), the black layer is already set and saved so it is just a matter of loading the other 2 layers and overwriting the file with the new info.

NOTE: Garibaldi's seglength is 1 which is much too large for eyebrows. I normally set it down to 0.2 for more control of the eyebow shape. Just keep in mind that smaller seglength means more vertices and (potentially) longer render times.

edited March 2013

I tried something to see how it works .. well both the reference and the render have the same hair , I just overlapped it over the picture after rendering to see how it would looks like on a human head especially the hair line ..

just playing around ..

hair-line.jpg
    800 x 436 - 146K
    hair-test-napy.jpg
    1156 x 727 - 117K
    Post edited by MEC4D on
    edited December 1969

Mec4D said:
    I tried something to see how it works .. well both the reference and the render have the same hair , I just overlapped it over the picture after rendering to see how it would looks like on a human head especially the hair line ..

just playing around ..

OK, just to be clear, you're saying that the first image is a picture of a kid with your rendered hair photoshopped on - right?

So my question is, how are you making those fabulous tight curls?

This is the kind of stuff I've been waiting to see!

Bravo!!!