HU - little change for the Free items

Comments

• patience55patience55 Posts: 7,006
    edited December 1969

anikad said:

I don't like the change of the store, Daz's refusal to deal with listing sale end dates,

I've come to the conclusion that Daz doesn't actually know when a sale is going to end, they decide at some point during the sale not before the sale starts.

Well I would figure that somebody must know when a sale is starting ... and as 'days' are 'daz days' to make it around the world for everybody [usually] ... the sales can get very interesting. As in a sale starts ... and the software does its thing ... and 'oh look what happened!" "look what is on sale" [that nobody knew would be] ... Stocking up on gift cards for the March Madness!

• McGrandpaMcGrandpa Posts: 464
    edited December 1969

It's alright Richard, I'm done with this thread. :-)

• Robert FreiseRobert Freise Posts: 4,261
    edited December 1969

I'll miss the freebies here especially since I have no income to buy anything with
    Back in the early days when Daz was still Zygote the freebies were what got me started I think my first purchase was a texture for Posette (Poser 3 was brand new at the time)

• IceEmpressIceEmpress Posts: 639
    edited December 1969

I definitely let them know i don’t like the end of freebies.
    I don’t like the end of the commercial forum.
    I don’t like the change to the PC club items and their “arbitrary” price change that now makes PC members gamble to choose it or loose it.
    I don’t like the devaluation of the PC membership time and time again.
    I don’t like the change of the store, Daz’s refusal to deal with listing sale end dates, or fix long broken issues with Daz Studio. I don’t like scrolling through pages of itemized history. I don’t like not trusting the payment system because it just *MIGHT* decided to start randomly changing me for another membership after it was cancelled. I don’t like how some people arbitrarily get deals on membership that others don’t.
    And, on a slightly less pertinent note, I don’t like the newest PC hair… it’s so plastic-y it doesn’t really look like hair. It’s a rather disturbing trend. Maybe with a better hair shader, better transparency or textures or something it might be usable, but it didn’t seem worth the PC price much less value price to me. Maybe it was a style experiment- more toony than real. Guess I could see that

You forgot the user unfriendliness of the Wishlist-- as it stands, if you want to reorganize the list, you have to delete then re-ad the product-- Renderosity allows this type of customization, so why can't DAZ?
    Shame on you, (Belovedalia) *I'm only being half-serious with that last sentence :p

• ServantServant Posts: 756
    edited December 1969

Rendo at least has no qualms about the freebies. However, to be fair, there are also issues with Rendo. That said, keep sending DAZ your dislike and annoyance for certain issues like this change to the freebies. The more they receive feedback, the more it's likely to be addressed. Eventually, someone will take notice and address them... eventually :)

• 3WC3WC Posts: 1,094
    edited December 1969

I kind of relate this whole thing to a comic book store I used to go into. Now, I'm the biggest free-loader in the world, I'll admit it. But that's because I don't have a lot of disposable income, and I've learned to be very frugal (cheap). But I would go into the comic book store and read the comics without buying them. Now, some comic book store owners or employees would hate that, maybe some of them did, but no one ever said anything to me about it. But you know what? Eventually I bought something. If they had chased me out of the store, they would have lost even that sale. And maybe that's what they figured, I wasn't hurting anyone, I wasn't stealing anything, i was just hanging out in the store reading comics.

That's basically what I do with DAZ, too. I hang around the forums, I would get the weekly freebie, but I seldom bought anything. But I did eventually buy something. With the weekly freebies gone, I unsubscribed from the newsletters. I still visit the forums, but I rarely go to the store unless I'm looking for something specific. It's sort of like DAZ has noticed the freeloaders and has shooed them out of the store, saying "Come back when you want to buy something!" Well, in my experience people who have that experience just go somewhere else when they want to buy.

Not to say I'm unappreciative. I don't feel like I'm entitled to anything. But the freebies helped me and others get started building content, and it seems like eliminating them will hurt DAZ more than help.

(Rant concluded. I now return you to your regularly scheduled forum thread)

• StratDragonStratDragon Posts: 3,167
    edited December 1969

BorgyB said:
    Rendo at least has no qualms about the freebies. However, to be fair, there are also issues with Rendo. That said, keep sending DAZ your dislike and annoyance for certain issues like this change to the freebies. The more they receive feedback, the more it's likely to be addressed. Eventually, someone will take notice and address them... eventually :)

to be fair the stuff at rendo can be hit or miss, but it's still a great thing. I have made a few freebies over there and I'm leaning towards the miss on my stuff as I learn blender. I'm coming late to the party but i just went to DL something in the freebie page and realized it was showing up with a price tag in my cart and that was the first time I saw it. I ain't happy about it but it's not my decision. I suggest to anyone listening to download Blender or Wings and start learning how to model, if nothing else someone might be good at models, someone at textures and maybe colobrate which I have done and well; there you go, a freebie over at rendo for the community!
    In the mean time I'll try to keep plugging away at Blender until I feel good enough to take requests but the more people try their hand at modeling the more we can keep the spirit of the free item alive since us non-platinum and ex-platinum members have had the doors closed on us now.

edited March 2013

to be fair the stuff at rendo can be hit or miss, but it's still a great thing. I have made a few freebies over there and I'm leaning towards the miss on my stuff as I learn blender. I'm coming late to the party but i just went to DL something in the freebie page and realized it was showing up with a price tag in my cart and that was the first time I saw it. I ain't happy about it but it's not my decision. I suggest to anyone listening to download Blender or Wings and start learning how to model, if nothing else someone might be good at models, someone at textures and maybe colobrate which I have done and well; there you go, a freebie over at rendo for the community!
    In the mean time I'll try to keep plugging away at Blender until I feel good enough to take requests but the more people try their hand at modeling the more we can keep the spirit of the free item alive since us non-platinum and ex-platinum members have had the doors closed on us now.

You can still get the freebies if you buy something, anything. If there's a freebie that you missed on that is still in the list, the next time you buy something, no matter how small (except for $0 price items) download all of them, including the weekly freebie.

Making stuff for free is all well and good. A good number of peeps do it and spread it through rendo, sharecg, and other sites. However, Rendo still has the monthly newsletter freebie, which is pretty good, as it's usually by a top PA. Content Paradise still gives new freebies. We're just saying if other top content companies do it, why would DAZ change theirs? It certainly doesn't win new fans and paying patrons over.

On the note of creating stuff, have you tried Hexagon? It's a lot easier to use for making stuff that works with DAZ and Poser (moreso the former). It was free before, but it's a paid item now, however (as with Bryce). :coolsmile:

Post edited by Servant on
    edited December 1969

BorgyB said:

You can still get the freebies if you buy something, anything. If there's a freebie that you missed on that is still in the list, the next time you buy something, no matter how small (except for $0 price items) download all of them, including the weekly freebie.

Making stuff for free is all well and good. A good number of peeps do it and spread it through rendo, sharecg, and other sites. However, Rendo still has the monthly newsletter freebie, which is pretty good, as it's usually by a top PA. Content Paradise still gives new freebies. We're just saying if other top content companies do it, why would DAZ change theirs? It certainly doesn't win new fans and paying patrons over.

On the note of creating stuff, have you tried Hexagon? It's a lot easier to use for making stuff that works with DAZ and Poser (moreso the former). It was free before, but it's a paid item now, however (as with Bryce). :coolsmile:

tried hex on 4 different systems and 3 different OS's. It did not like my workflow, and the update schedule was a disaster.
    I lost two months of my life trying to get that app not to crash after using it for more than 10 minutes. I've been using Blender ever since, they have a far bigger dev base, it gets fixes nightly.

• sbseedsbseed Posts: 0
    edited March 2013

im not sure, but i had to ask something about this as well in a new thread... didnt see this one at the time and it didnt appear to be what i was looking to gripe about so to speak.

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/18184/#268026
    ^my topic thread, specific to the free software pages/area of the site.

i dont agree with this kind of thing in the least, and personally i wont put up with it....
    if it continues without changes (even after people have put in support tickets or whatever), and even though i had planned on purchasing some stuff from here later on, they can forget any business from me.

i dont like these kind of 'business' tactics, they shouldnt be allowed at all... and it doesnt encourage return customers or new costumer base either, so its not logical in the least anyways from a business stand point.

edit:
    to the current discussion on rendo, that short for renderotica? perchance... and if so i would like to know about any free stuff their or wherever it is, hard to find good free stuff when it comes to 3D art/meshes/textures/models usually, and then there is the pricing for most places.

prices here used to be better it seems, most sites are ridiculously expensive... like lone artists/creators/modders/etc. can afford some of that stuff when a single Model is priced at over a hundred and more dollars, i know they like to be able to make money and support themselves including the authors, but that is getting ridiculous only studio's for movies and games can afford some of that stuff... not even talking about packages at most sites.

Post edited by sbseed on
  • edited December 1969

sbseed said:

edit:
    to the current discussion on rendo, that short for renderotica?

Rendo, as far as I am aware, usually refers to renderosity: http://www.renderosity.com/

edited December 1969

ah, ok that makes so much more sense.... and clarification is always good.
    specially when there are sites that could potentially have the same nicknames, in this case i didnt really think thats what it was and i had never heard of renderosity before.

thanks.
    will check that site out for myself now that i know what it is lol.

• drucdruc Posts: 341
    edited December 1969

I have two issues with the Daz freebies.

1: When I signed up for the newsletter, I believe there was an inducement of a weekly freebie for newsletter subscribers. The deal was, I let Daz market to my inbox, I receive the offer of a freebie once a week . Quid pro quo.

If the terms change, there is a liability on the party changing the terms to advise the other party of the change and give the option to opt out without penalty (if there is a penalty for opt out)

2: The definition of "free" is a well understood concept. Free is free, not free if you spend money. Bonus or gilt would be a more appropriate word.

An example of common definition of a word. In the country where I live a telecommunications company offered an internet connection package at a set price that used the word "unlimited". There was no limit to the amount of data that could downloaded or uploaded, the monthly fee would remain the same. What the company did do, and it was detailed in the TOS, was to reduce the speed once a predefined and published in the TOS amount was reached. The internet connection still worked and the customer could still download at no extra cost.

The word "unlimited" was challenged and the company changed the wording.

Having said the above, from a personal point of view, I don't care what Daz does or doesn't do, I am not a shareholder. I will still receive the newsletters and still buy in their shop, only because I like Genesis and can't afford Poser 9 or 2012 pro.

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited March 2013

The weekly freebie was free for everyone, whether they received the newsletter or not, for some considerable amount of time now. I am not at all sure that it was limited to people who received the newsletter, because it has always been possible to read the newsletter on line without actually receiving it in ones inbox.

Post edited by Chohole on
    edited December 1969
    edited December 1969

sbseed said:

edit:
    to the current discussion on rendo, that short for renderotica?

Rendo, as far as I am aware, usually refers to renderosity: http://www.renderosity.com/

Renderotica should have a weekly freebie and a contest to go with it. Man, that would be humdinger!

edited March 2013

@chohole, you are correct it did indeed used to be free for everyone without having to buy something else or sign up for a newsletter... this is part of my gripe.

for about a month and half or so (i check back about 1-2 times per week, so i am estimating the time here) ago, none of the free stuff has been free... at first i thought it was because they were running a sale on most (if not all of) the stuff on the site, but then when the first sales and stuff were those prices changed from zero (free) to what they are currently nothing has changed, and now its into march madness and everything else... i have read at least two things from the site itself in regards to the 'free' stuff, i skimmed over them because most of it was legalese and i hate trying to figure out half of what its trying to say; both items were a brief deal on signing up for extra notifications and pretty much general spam from here (not notifications on stuff, just spam on sale items and 'whats new') and then having to buy something for something...

none of it made any real sense or was even logical.... so i pretty much ignored it for the most part since thats what i do with all the extra stuff sites like to send you is usually garbage spam, and i treat it as such... my confusion was because they were still calling all of that stuff free except now there were prices all over the supposed 'free' stuff.

if they are going to continue to label it as free they should return the prices to 0.00 (which is free) instead of having anything their for a price, or if they are going to leave it as is with prices and a buy one get one deal they need to change the labels to reflect that.... currently they are making liars of themselves, and that is one thing above pretty much everything else i cannot stand.

they want to make money and/or be greedy fine, i dont care most companies/business' are these days.... but they should at least be truthful in their advertising and setup of how they are going to go about doing business.... this is what bugs me no end, and it is counter productive to actually increasing sales or making more money which makes no sense if they want to make more money and be greedy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=TI59NU-q5YA
    1000000% agree with this... its garbage.
    its not free, even though they say its free.

Post edited by sbseed on
  • McGyverMcGyver Posts: 7,005
    edited December 1969

wwes said:

Andy Rooney was great... but you can really tell how old that clip is... He ACTUALLY mentions the brand names and in one instance actually says "but by then the kids have decided they don't actually like ( brand name censored because I don't want my post removed) crackers anymore".
    No show these days would allow that... the bags and boxes would have the logos and labels blurred out and he'd only be allowed to say "major brand" or "well known brand"... The self censorship imposed by the fear of instantaneous slander based lawsuits would prevent that these days, even though there was actually nothing negative being said.

Please- don't anyone agree with what I just said or even acknowledge it... my comment and any associated concepts wether perceived or implied as well as any tangent concepts or possible discussions based upon the aforementioned comment and all it's possible meanings associated, perceived or implied and all those subsequent permutations of thought and discussion have nothing to do with this thread.
    I just wanted to comment on the Andy Rooney clip in a off topic sort of way...

Now then... as you were... carry on.

edited December 1969

sbseed said:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=TI59NU-q5YA
    1000000% agree with this... its garbage.
    its not free, even though they say its free.

you sent me on an Andy Rooney youtube spiral down the rabbit hole for the past four hours.

• IvyIvy Posts: 7,153
    edited December 1969

The freebies are great it was what started me on 3d.. I was always very appreciative of the freebie as I was learning 3d. which lead me on the road of buying 3d products regularly at daz until when daz change their 3D program or as they said."Game", and file formats, that is when i changed my buying habits on this site.

If I had to buy v4 or m4 when i started i would have never started with daz or poser. so why do i want to buy v5 or m5 now, especially when i think they are an ugly character. Steph 5 has a face like a man or drag queen..lol
    So I can only imagine that a new person today that is looking into starting 3d would have to buy v5 & m5 and their morphs to get started is properly a very big deterrent not to invest in Daz for 3d.
    My opinion is this not that it matters to anyone. . Giving away the software is a good start, But for some of us, we paid for daz4 at $499 when it came out and got burned and they later gave it away.. many of us have not forgot how that felt being a loyal customers and not being even offered a voucher for the cost of the software they give away free that we paid full price for.

Now that Daz have changed their policy on the freebies that is their choice to make. Just as it is my choice not to purchase genesis products. or other products that I can not use in multiple 3d programs. Money is very tight right now for everyone even business. So as 3d artist we want our money to go as far as it can and want a product to be versatile. Genesis is not versatile for poser users no matter how many feel good tools they throw at us.
    This is why unless a product is not in certain file formats i don't even bother with looking at the product here at Daz3d.com and other 3d sites as well.

I have asked or requested to venders if they could make a product(s) that was made for genesis I seen and liked for Gen4 . But they choose not to put the time in which is cool and i understand their motives. . But they should not complain about sales if they are not willing to cater to different software file formats. dson to me is a big of pain in my ass, as auto-fit tool is. in fact I like to suggest why not make all products for gen 4 in Daz or .Obj and have genesis users use auto-fit tool to fit the clothes to genesis.. lol Now we know that is not going to happen now don't we.

I feel lucky to be able to have a 3d budget i can spend on new products in this crappy economy., so it does not matter where i spend my money. I buy the things i like and can use.
    Having to buy something thing to get a freebie is not a selling point to me , not when there are many other sites i can go to to get freebies. no its no big deal.
    Ever since Daz has changed management things have gotten rather ugly on this site. which is really sad, because once upon a time Daz3d.com was my favorite site.

So I'll say it again not that anyone really care.
    I use Daz3a and Poser. I use the files formats of ..Obj, .Daz. . PZ3, PP2. Those are the file formats i use & still buy for. :)

Thank you for reading my comment. Peace!

edited December 1969

Ivy said:
    ...why not make all products for gen 4 in Daz or .Obj and have genesis users use auto-fit tool to fit the clothes to genesis.. lol...

I feel the same way, which is why most of my freebies are made for V4/M4. I figure why go to all the trouble for Genesis, it's easy to convert it with auto fit, even though it may not be perfect.

edited March 2013

wwes said:
    Ivy said:
    ...why not make all products for gen 4 in Daz or .Obj and have genesis users use auto-fit tool to fit the clothes to genesis.. lol...

I feel the same way, which is why most of my freebies are made for V4/M4. I figure why go to all the trouble for Genesis, it's easy to convert it with auto fit, even though it may not be perfect.

I always admire those who have the talent to build models. even though I'm taking classes for building .Obj models in 3DS I just don't have the talent or patients for it. as I do for animation. That is why I have always been so thankful for the freebies.
    and no matter what products i use free or paid . i always try too give credit when credit is due.

I wish Mr Peabody was around with the way-back machine so we could go back to when times were good )

Post edited by Ivy on
  • wancowwancow Posts: 2,708
    edited December 1969

wwes said:
    Ivy said:

The single biggest problem with using V4/M4 stuff on Genesis is that it's high poly. DS4, the way it's set up, loves to subdivide meshes itself. Anything that is low poly and designed to be subdivided works very, very well in DS. My best example of this is here:
    http://wancow.deviantart.com/art/Gown-is-DONE-I-think-356931668

• edited March 2013

:lol:
    LOL, ROFL...

Free* Models!

I think there should be something in international law that enforces the little asterisk next to the word 'free' when it clearly isn't...

On a positive note - there a still genuine Free Models! models on other sites! And don't forget to take advantage of the Free* Models! here when you buy something else if you're a non-PC member.

*N.B: DAZ is now using the definition from the 'Bad Advertisers Dictionary', i.e. the one that means 'not free'.

Post edited by NoneOfYourBusiness on
    edited December 1969

wancow said:
    wwes said:
    Ivy said:

The single biggest problem with using V4/M4 stuff on Genesis is that it's high poly. DS4, the way it's set up, loves to subdivide meshes itself. Anything that is low poly and designed to be subdivided works very, very well in DS. My best example of this is here:
    http://wancow.deviantart.com/art/Gown-is-DONE-I-think-356931668

lol wancow
    You are right about the HC poly maps, this is why SSS maps don't work in Daz4 not enough room for expansion of the subdivision. Yet SSS maps work in daz3a, if you reduce the refraction rate a little to remove the reflection on the textures and add a little gray light. to bring the color to scale. i never had any trouble with HC poly's for props in poser or daz3 using .obj and pp2 files. Plus High ploy looks great under a IDL light source in environment models. the renders take a little longer but the results worth it.

Daz has basically forced me to make a choice to either use genesis, with their retro fit tools for poser or go without. That makes me feel like my few dollars I spend here doesn't matter on this site. being a poser user who would like to purchase some of the products released here if they were available also for gen 4. and I have even made request for a genesis product to be made into gen 4, which never has got me the products i liked so I am pretty sure I am properly the only one that shops by file formats .

For the record My comment is not a complaint about daz4 . I have resided that is the way things are. Daz made a business decision so it is, what it is. and my money goes to the things i can use with less effort to use it.. genesis or DUF & DSA file don't fit my need..so those products don't get my money.

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,569
    edited December 1969

Ivy said:

I wish Mr Peabody was around with the way-back machine so we could go back to when times were good )

...I'd be in line right behind you.

Day VI and still nothing excites me enough to purchase more than one item in the sale. At least the store isn't being as flaky today like it was yesterday.

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

The things I want are too new for the MM Sale...and well, the freebies not being free any longer...I haven't really looked at the store, other than to look for a couple of products to suggest in posts, in a couple of weeks now.

• Mustakettu85Mustakettu85 Posts: 2,933
    edited December 1969

Anyone know if that old freebie archive that was hosted at, if my memory serves me right, free.daz3d.com or something, ever went back online?

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

Simple answer to that. No. unfortunately

edited March 2013

Anyone know if that old freebie archive that was hosted at, if my memory serves me right, free.daz3d.com or something, ever went back online?

It never did, and likely never will. All the freebies from that archive are vaulted. And those of us who had the foresight to download them can't share the files due to the EULA.

Post edited by Servant on