What Is That Cube Called, And How Do I Get Rid Of It? (Stop Laughing.)

NovicaNovica Posts: 23,859
edited December 1969 in New Users

I'm not sure what it's called, but IT is driving me nuts. I like the sliders better than the arrows on that red, blue, green cube with the arrows.(IT!) IT is really annoying when you are trying to see the item you're working on, so how do I make that stupid cube go POOF so I can use my sliders in peace?!!! I found where to make the floor lines disappear,, tested everything in that particular dropdown, and no luck. Help return my sanity. Once I get the info, I'll do an edit here and rename the title so it will be more useful.

Comments

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,795
    edited December 1969

lol! I hate it too!
    I call it the axis translate rotate guide thingy (I am sure too there is a proper term) and in Carrara, iClone and Poser where I am used to doing 3D it is not as BIG!!!
    Studio has a BIG ONE!!
    and I am pretty certain, must check, it is just DS4 not 3 or 2 that has such a massive one!!!

• SertorialSertorial Posts: 962
    edited March 2013

It's because you have the universal selection tool on. It gives you the red green blue translation and rotation markers and the re-size cube. Just select a different selection tool from the menu bar.

(though I am no expert, clearly!)

Post edited by Sertorial on
  • NovicaNovica Posts: 23,859
    edited December 1969

Sertorial said:
    It's because you have the universal selection tool on. It gives you the red green blue translation and rotation markers and the re-size cube. Just select a different selection tool from the menu bar.

Well, those options have their own YUCK factor. The surface selection highlights in yellow, the region navigator tool outlines in yellow,
    and what does the spot render tool do- I'm afraid to activate/use that before I know what it DOES?

• PuntomausPuntomaus Posts: 450
    edited December 1969

With the spot render tool you select a part of your image and render only that part. If you have changed maybe the eye or lip texture and want to see what it looks like rendered so instead of rendering the entire image you only select the eye or the lip and render that.

• Scott LivingstonScott Livingston Posts: 4,331
    edited December 1969

Novica said:
    Sertorial said:

Well, those options have their own YUCK factor. The surface selection highlights in yellow, the region navigator tool outlines in yellow,
    and what does the spot render tool do- I'm afraid to activate/use that before I know what it DOES?
    You can turn off (or turn down) the highlighting:

1. From the Window menu, go to “Panes (Tabs)” and click “Tool Settings.”
    2. Change “Draw Style” from “Bounding Box and Surface” to “Bounding Box Only.”

Alternatively, if you want subtler highlighting, in the same “Tool Settings” pane, change “Active Opacity” from 30% to something like maybe 10%.

• wancowwancow Posts: 2,708
    edited December 1969

It's called the 'CAMERA CUBE"

upper right hand corner of the view port, the little icon with lines on it, click on it and select "hide camera cube"

edited December 1969

Puntomaus said:
    With the spot render tool you select a part of your image and render only that part. If you have changed maybe the eye or lip texture and want to see what it looks like rendered so instead of rendering the entire image you only select the eye or the lip and render that.

Thank you :)
    Cathie

edited December 1969

wancow said:
    It's called the 'CAMERA CUBE"

upper right hand corner of the view port, the little icon with lines on it, click on it and select "hide camera cube"

Nope- that's the wrong cube. But thanks anyway! That one, I know how to hide, but I use that all the time so I dont.
    edited December 1969

Alternatively, if you want subtler highlighting, in the same “Tool Settings” pane, change “Active Opacity” from 30% to something like maybe 10%.

It's already set to Bounding Box Only. Changed Active Opacity to 5% and that cube is still as bright, shining, and perky as can be with those darned red, blue, and green arrows blocking what I want to see.

edited December 1969

This is IT. Just so everyone else knows what I am referencing. If IT stays in my way, I'm going to go into Photoshop and paint a bright pink tutu on it just to annoy IT like it is annoying ME.

ITbox.jpg
    723 x 888 - 625K
  • Scott LivingstonScott Livingston Posts: 4,331
    edited March 2013

Novica said:

It's already set to Bounding Box Only. Changed Active Opacity to 5% and that cube is still as bright, shining, and perky as can be with those darned red, blue, and green arrows blocking what I want to see.
    Sorry if that wasn't clear...I was referring to the yellow highlighting you mentioned, not to the cube. Make the cube go away by changing tools, then turn down the highlighting as desired.

There are other tool options (aside from those that you mentioned) but you may need to change your interface to see them: http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/4572/

Edit: here's more information on switching your layout: http://docs.daz3d.com/doku.php/public/software/dazstudio/4/userguide/user_interface/tutorials/switching_layouts/start

Edited again to add: I think what you may want is the "Node Selection Tool," and if you don't want to change the layout, you can activate that tool with Alt+Shift+V (or Option+Shift+V on a Mac).

Post edited by Scott Livingston on
  • Joe CotterJoe Cotter Posts: 3,259
    edited December 1969

Btw, it's generally called the '3D Manipulator" tool, and in Blender you hide it by hitting the space bar. Unfortunately it doesn't work in DS so you're left with selecting another tool as others have mentioned or by having 'nothing' selected.

• GoneGone Posts: 833
    edited December 1969

Novica said:
    This is IT. Just so everyone else knows what I am referencing. If IT stays in my way, I'm going to go into Photoshop and paint a bright pink tutu on it just to annoy IT like it is annoying ME.

As Sertorial already mentioned, that is the universal selector tool icon.

In the tool bar menu you should see the icon with a circular arroe and a cross in the middle as being active. Choose the big arrow icon beside it (selection tool) to get rid of it.

• wancowwancow Posts: 2,708
    edited December 1969

OH! The Universal Scale Cube

Alt+Shift+V gives you the node selection tool, pretty much hides everything (except bounding box boundries.

• Joe CotterJoe Cotter Posts: 3,259
    edited March 2013

Gone said:
    ....As Sertorial already mentioned, that is the universal selector tool icon....

Thanks, missed that. It's called different things in different 3D packages, the name I gave is the one I've seen the most in other packages but not necessarily the most common name, and not the name used in DAZ Studio evidently ;)

As mentioned before, if nothing is selected, it won't show either.

Post edited by Joe Cotter on
  • SzarkSzark Posts: 10,634
    edited March 2013

Hope this helps

1: Node Selection Tool. Doesn’t have a viewport Gizmo (the technical name) and no Viewport movement or adjustment capabilities, it is just a selection tool nothing more.

2: Is the Universal Tool, which has all three Gizmos in one; Rotation, Translation and Scaling handles.

3: Rotation Tool: Rotation Gizmo only

4: Translation Tool: Translation Gizmo only

5: Scaling Tool: Scaling Gizmo only

6: Active Pose Tool: When engaged it allows you to grab a bone, like say a hand and when you move the hand the arm, shoulder, and collar etc move with the hand. You also have extra functions that show up on the Gizmo like Pinning. You can Pin say the foot so it stays put until you get to the extreme and then it will start to move.

7: Animate2: Never used this but obviously used for Animate2 Plug-in.

8: Surfaces Selection Tool: Allow you to select Surfaces in the Viewport. But with DS4/4.5 when an item is selected you can opt for just those surfaces related to that model show up in the Surfaces Pane. Or you can set the Surfaces Pane up to show any surfaces that is connected to that object like clothing for a figure. Or if you prefer showing all surfaces in a scene at one time then the Surface Selection Tool is for you. :) These Options can be found by clicking on the Pane Options Box, small striped square box at either the top right or left depending on what side your Panes are on.

9: Region Navigator Tool: When this is used you get the big yellow highlights when you hover over an item or part of in the Viewport Window (scene). This tool is connected with the Shaping Pane so it automatically selects the same body area in the Shaping Pane as you select in the Viewport.

TranslationButtons_copy.jpg
    1121 x 146 - 96K
    Post edited by Szark on