The 2013 Stonemason Catalogue Contest

Comments

• BobvanBobvan Posts: 2,652
    edited March 2013

Cool....Anyhoo I hope ppl enjoy the render all the same...

Post edited by Bobvan on
  • edited December 1969

Title: The Old, against The New

Stonemason products used:
    Greeble City Blocks 2
    City Ruins Building 01
    City Ruins Building 02

Software used:
    DAZ Studio Pro 4.5
    Photoshop

Stone-City-1-fin-sub.jpg
    1250 x 883 - 127K
  • Geminii23Geminii23 Posts: 1,327
    edited December 1969

kmw_ said:
    Szark said:
    kmw that is it having fun making new images....Ken Gilliland (Songbirds) has an annual contest (which just closed) for which you can use any image you have made as long as it has been entered in to one of his contests but I always like to make a new one every year. I have other bird images I have done which I could have entered but for me it doesn't sit right so I make a new one.

Well, I'd agree with you 200 percent. If I had an image that fit the criteria, yeah, I'd whip it out and submit it. But not if that image had been posted anywhere else. And Ken's contest is quite specific about the ruling. One of his contests. Not necessarily a piece that's been posted in a gallery at Renderosity or RuntimeDNA.

This contest has actually got me back to rendering. I hadn't seriously opened my 3D software in almost a year. But I must have created almost ten different images for this contest before deciding on the ones I was going to use. Even then I haven't been able to stop. I have an image using Urban Future 4 that I'd love to submit. But, of course, now I can't. Guess I'll have to find somewhere else for it. ;)

kmw

Totally agree with others here. I was really proud of the two images I created specifically for this contest and felt they were some of my best renders. I have wanted to share them on DA or other sites so people can see them but I fully understand that in a contest like this it would not be fair. As others mentioned, it defeats the purpose of the contest if you are going to just grab your best piece from a year ago and try to repost it here. Secondly, it isn't fair to be putting stuff out for a contest and getting critiques and feedback on what to change from other communities. Just my two cents.

edited March 2013

I was not even thinking of that when I posted those images. It's like I said a few posts above I saw a stonemason contest and thought of the renders I I had having used his sets but I guess that is another way of looking at it. I don't really do contests....this was my second in almost 3 years..

Post edited by Bobvan on
  • Laticis ImageryLaticis Imagery Posts: 439
    edited December 1969

My second entry:

Title:

Remanent of a Time

Software used:

DAZ Studio 4.5 / Photoshop CS6

Products used:

Return To The Enchanted Forest http://www.daz3d.com/return-to-the-enchanted-forest

Modular Ruins http://www.daz3d.com/new-releases/modular-ruins

CamBot ://www.daz3d.com/cambot

Original Render Dimension:

3600 pixels x 2025 pixels

Remanent-of-a-Time.jpg
    2000 x 1125 - 919K
  • SamCSamC Posts: 40
    edited December 1969

Great looking render Adriano

• SzarkSzark Posts: 10,634
    edited December 1969

Laticis said:
    My second entry:

Title:

Remanent of a Time

Software used:

Products used:

Return To The Enchanted Forest http://www.daz3d.com/return-to-the-enchanted-forest

Hey Dad great image man.

Don't you just hate it when you see a great image and think, man I wish I had thought of that.... shakes head and walks of mumbling about darn bots and ruins. :P

edited December 1969

samc said:
    Great looking render Adriano

Thanks heaps :)

edited December 1969

Szark said:
    Hey Dad great image man.

Don't you just hate it when you see a great image and think, man I wish I had thought of that.... shakes head and walks of mumbling about darn bots and ruins. :P

Thanks heaps Son LMAO :D

edited December 1969

Agreed very nice

edited December 1969

Bobvan said:
    I was not even thinking of that when I posted those images. It's like I said a few posts above I saw a stonemason contest and thought of the renders I I had having used his sets but I guess that is another way of looking at it. I don't really do contests....this was my second in almost 3 years..

Oh, I meant no offense to you. I actually was playing catch up since I had not signed on in quite awhile. My comment was just in a general sense.

edited December 1969

Laticis said:
    My second entry:

Title:

Remanent of a Time

Software used:

Products used:

Wow! Amazing image!

• KinichKinich Posts: 855
    edited December 1969

My 2nd entry

Title: 'The Hanging Larders of Beelzebub'

Rendered in DS4.5 Pro, post worked in GIMP 2.8

Stonemason Product used: The Devils Toybox

Larder-PSB-2013.jpg
    1002 x 1242 - 278K
  • scorpioscorpio Posts: 8,300
    edited December 1969

Kinich said:
    My 2nd entry

Very Cool.

edited March 2013

Geminii23 said:
    Bobvan said:

Oh, I meant no offense to you. I actually was playing catch up since I had not signed on in quite awhile. My comment was just in a general sense.

Its ok I withdrew it. Perhaps I am partly to blame but too much fuss was made over this and took too much of this thread's space taknig away from it's true purpose. To be honest I just produced the image cause somebody had challenged my imagination... . I produce full length TV style episodes that have 400 to 500 renders per story. Imagination is far from being a problem..

Post edited by Bobvan on
  • AkhbourAkhbour Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Well, I could not not participate! ^_-

TinPan Alley , a car and a skydome from UrbanSprawl 2, rendered in DS 4.5 and more postwork than I usually do!

"Hitting the mark"

ShootOut.jpg
    707 x 1000 - 127K
  • KinichKinich Posts: 855
    edited December 1969

Kinich said:
    My 2nd entry

Very Cool.

Thanks, glad you liked it.

• namretteknamrettek Posts: 168
    edited December 1969

First Entry-

"Robot Ferry"

Software: Poser Pro 2012, Zbrush, Photoshop CS6

Stonemason products: City Ruins Bundle, City Ruins: Vehicles, Greeble City Blocks 1 and 2

Made the robot's head in zbrush.

RoboNGirlFIN.jpg
    1500 x 1500 - 677K
  • kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,517
    edited December 1969

Laticis said:
    My second entry:

Title:

Remanent of a Time

Software used:

Products used:

...well done.
  • J GugliuzzaJ Gugliuzza Posts: 131
    edited December 1969

Title "Hunting"
    Daz Studio 4.5 - Postwork Photoshop CS2
    Stonemason product - Graveyard Bits & Pieces

Hunting.jpg
    1500 x 1125 - 1M
    edited December 1969

Bobvan said:
    Agreed very nice

edited December 1969

Geminii23 said:

Wow! Amazing image!

Thank you

edited December 1969

Kyoto Kid said:

...well done.

Thank you

edited December 1969

Ok that is enough of that we don't want Laticis to think we all love his image..do we. ;)

edited December 1969

Szark said:
    Ok that is enough of that we don't want Laticis to think we all love his image..do we. ;)

Your mom says hi mate :)

edited December 1969

The whole house heard me laugh with that one.

edited December 1969

he he ;)

• staticstatic Posts: 325
    edited March 2013

Woe is me; I have been DAZ-ing for years for personal enjoyment and self-teaching of 3D Art, but when I saw this contest, I just knew I had to try something public. I have been drooling over Stonemason's works for years, picking up one every now and then when I could afford it. I had to try...

I was "in the zone", I was hyped, I was ready to enter the world of competitive artwork...

I picked my elements carefully, I worked on the positioning, the color, the ratio of foreground to background... I even delved into depth of field issues. I bled through the lighting, I sweat through posing, I cried through post-work!
    "I could'a been a contender!"

My computer disagrees...

My computer doesn't feel up to the task; for the first time ever with Studio, I received video card issues, lack of memory, and just plain lock-up. It was so frustrating. I have a powerful setup here, not top-of-the-line, at least, not anymore, but a good solid graphics PC. I can play all but the very latest (2013) PC games without glitch, I can open more than a dozen windows and not worry about crash, but my baby has just gotten old, poor girl...

So, as fate would have it, I could not enter. But congratulations to all who did. I have seen wonderful works displayed here. Items definitely worthy of the prize. You have the courage to go for it and you all deserve something for your efforts, even if just a very hearty, "Well done, you!"

Makes me wish I could've helped judge. Something, anything, just to be a part of this event. So, there it is; my sob story for the ages. Best of luck to all and look for me in the future... I don't know when (PC needs help first), but I'll be out there. And it will be my first public showing, so please, no laughing.

To Stonemason, please allow me to say thank you for the opportunity! And for the elements you have made for us all!

Post edited by static on
  • KeryaKerya Posts: 10,943
    edited March 2013

Staticdrifter: very poetic! :)

Challenge Deadline: 15th March

Sooooo, maybe - if you split your scene up in parts, forget about DOF, or create it in postwork (http://www.photoshopessentials.com/photo-effects/depth-of-field/) - as postwork is encouraged ... I did the sunrays in my picture in postwork.

Post edited by Kerya on
  • staticstatic Posts: 325
    edited December 1969

Kerya said:
    Sooooo, maybe - if you split your scene up in parts, forget about DOF, or create it in postwork (http://www.photoshopessentials.com/photo-effects/depth-of-field/) - as postwork is encouraged ... I did the sunrays in my picture in postwork.

Oh, hadn't thought of that... Thanks, I will try that, but I am not even at the bottom of my game with postwork. That's the part I hate the most...I have destroyed so many of my renders trying to "better" it with postwork. I will try again, though. I have a hard time with many of the tutorials, because many of them are for Photoshop, and I simply can't afford Adobe. But I use Gimp, Paintshop, and I just got a new thing (new to me) called PD Pro, so I will make an attempt. I can't promise anything, though, If I break it up and destroy it through postwork, I will not post it into this contest. I, personally, do not think that it would be worthy to say I am worthy of the prize by entering less than what I would consider a personal best.
    Thanks for the idea, I'm back to the drawing board, so to speak. :)