Garibaldi Express: Hair and Fur Plugin [Commercial]

Comments

• twallingtwalling Posts: 241
    edited December 1969

1) Does it install through Daz Install Manager or do I need to download and install it the old fashioned way?

I have just installed it this morning. It did not show up in the DIM for me, I had to install it the "old fashioned way." Afterwords, the window closed with no further instructions.

If you restart Daz Studio, you'll get a prompt for a serial number, and then you can register the product. Daz Studio will restart, and there are a couple new menu items in it.

From there, from what I can tell, you're on your own.

• MEC4DMEC4D Posts: 5,249
    edited December 1969

http://www.garibaldiexpress.com/wiki/index.php?title=Garibaldi_Express_Documentation

I don;t think you read everything what is on the pages , it is step by step explaining all functions and you said it was not helpful ?
    what else you need to know ? this manual cover everything , the rest is your imagination and a little bit of skills :)

twalling said:
    Is there, like, a manual or something that comes with this? I just bought it, downloaded it, and installed it, and got not information on, like, where it is on my computer or, like, how to run it.

I've seen some pretty impressive things in the forums from people who've evidently figured out how to run this thing, I'd like to join their ranks. ;)

UPDATE: I found a help page : http://www.garibaldiexpress.com/wiki/index.php?title=Installation#Installation

UPDATE 2: It wasn't very helpful.

edited December 1969

Mec4D said:
    http://www.garibaldiexpress.com/wiki/index.php?title=Garibaldi_Express_Documentation

I don;t think you read everything what is on the pages , it is step by step explaining all functions and you said it was not helpful ?
    what else you need to know ? this manual cover everything , the rest is your imagination and a little bit of skills :)

Ok, I'll play.

First, there was no link to that documentation when I downloaded and installed the program. Sure, I eventually found it, but that was due to quite a bit of digging on my part.

I note that it says the documentation is "in beta." I've never heard of documentation being beta-tested before, but, ok...?

Second, after finding our documentation in beta, here's what I see, I'm gonna paraphrase, but it's pretty close:

INSTALLATION:

(nothing)

INTRODUCTION:

(nothing)

Finally, one gets to "Garibaldi Editor" and it mentions a several "workspaces" in a "Garibaldi editor window." There is no mention, however, of how a new (and evidently unimaginative and/or unskilled) user would get to such a "Garibaldi editor window". That would be one of those bits of information I'd like to know. Just sort of a "quick start" for people who haven't been beta-testing this thing for months.

My personal beta-test of this documentation has concluded that it's not ready for new customers, as it sure doesn't tell them how to start using their $30 product. I'm surprised, honestly, that Daz did not require the beta-testing of the documentation to be complete before this was offered for sale.

The step-by-step descriptions of the functions sure do look interesting, I'm imagining I could probably do stuff with them, If I could just figure out how to go about getting to those screens that the documentation does show.

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,738
    edited December 1969

Create>Create New Garibaldi hair, then select the target figure or item will give you the hair, then with it selected Edit>Edit Garibaldi hair will take you to the interface.

• marblemarble Posts: 7,449
    edited December 1969

On their help page there is a video which helped me get started.

• 3DLust3DLust Posts: 230
    edited March 2013

Just a little render using GHair in Reality.

:)

signature_image_sm.jpg
    460 x 77 - 19K
    G-Hair_aiko5-1.jpg
    820 x 894 - 81K
    Post edited by 3DLust on
  • ncampncamp Posts: 345
    edited December 1969

marble said:
    On their help page there is a video which helped me get started.

Seconded, I watched the video and had hair rendering 30 minutes later.

ncamp

edited December 1969

Thanks, y'all... I appreciate you pointing me in the right direction.

• MangeyDesignerMangeyDesigner Posts: 129
    edited December 1969

The video is the one that got me going... it shows what to do and how easy it is.

This is a major bit of work from someone who doesn't have a store full of products yet and someone who has been very helpful through the public beta testing so check out the threads and ask some questions and I am sure with our feedback and over time the documentation will improve as the focus, like most small dev teams products, has been on the functionality.... and I must say the functionality of this plugin rocks.

Watch the vid and then just play and I am sure you will get encouraging results straight off... and then it is just a matter of understanding where/how some of the detailed stuff can be done.

I found changing texture maps tricky to work out at first but it is quite easy and I have some step by step instructions that I will find and post in here later today so they are easier to find.

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

I found changing texture maps tricky to work out at first but it is quite easy and I have some step by step instructions that I will find and post in here later today so they are easier to find.

At least for me, I've noticed that naming is very picky. It could be in part how I am running DS, but it is something you have to be very aware of and make sure that the folders used and names are consistent...in my case, things are case sensitive (but like I said, that could be a side effect of running in Linux, under WINE...).

edited March 2013

The video is the one that got me going... it shows what to do and how easy it is.

This is a major bit of work from someone who doesn't have a store full of products yet and someone who has been very helpful through the public beta testing so check out the threads and ask some questions and I am sure with our feedback and over time the documentation will improve as the focus, like most small dev teams products, has been on the functionality.... and I must say the functionality of this plugin rocks.

Watch the vid and then just play and I am sure you will get encouraging results straight off... and then it is just a matter of understanding where/how some of the detailed stuff can be done.

It does look like a major amount of work, and I did get it up and running... it was just frustrating not having a single bit of documentation telling me how to do so. I will certainly be digging in to the forums and seeing what all can be done now that I know how to at least run the plugin!

The video certainly did help.

Post edited by twalling on
  • MEC4DMEC4D Posts: 5,249
    edited December 1969

I got ya, you can't find the documentation until you start the plugin and there is nothing about how to start the plugin .. a simple line could fix your issue
    but I did not know what you was looking for , and did not know you did not even run the plugin yet , so on the other side you are right it should be there before anything else

twalling said:
    Mec4D said:

Ok, I'll play.

First, there was no link to that documentation when I downloaded and installed the program. Sure, I eventually found it, but that was due to quite a bit of digging on my part.

• BeaBea Posts: 743
    edited March 2013

Is it my imagination or is it at a cheaper price in the store now? forget I said that :) Put it down to old age

Post edited by Bea on
    edited December 1969

Mec4D said:
    I got ya, you can't find the documentation until you start the plugin and there is nothing about how to start the plugin .. a simple line could fix your issue
    but I did not know what you was looking for , and did not know you did not even run the plugin yet , so on the other side you are right it should be there before anything else

Yep... I've got it running now... sorry for being snarky earlier, I was frustrated, and it was a very simple problem!

• futurebiscuitfuturebiscuit Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

I want to thank all the people that have been answering peoples questions here it is much appreciated. I apologise that I haven't been able to been able to be involved here as much as I would have liked.

I agree that the current state of the 'Garibaldi Express' documentation is not up to the level of other elements of the product. It is not at the state initially planned for the first release.

As hopefully shown during the Beta period of 'Garibaldi Express' we aim to alway improve the experience and service we can offer to our customers.

• futurebiscuitfuturebiscuit Posts: 0
    edited March 2013

As a part of the on going support to 'Garibaldi Express' customers, todays update presents:

Improved installation Documentation.

http://www.garibaldiexpress.com/help/

Yeah I know. It's not very exciting or much, but at least it's there now.

Post edited by futurebiscuit on
    edited December 1969

That's great... thanks for doing that. I'm having fun working with the program now, thanks again.

• TJohnTJohn Posts: 11,010
    edited December 1969

My first try with GE. Made the hair, eyebrows, and beard stubble.

Ray.jpg
    1000 x 900 - 381K
  • VeselinVeselin Posts: 2
    edited December 1969

Does the plug-in support animations? If so, could someone render 1 or 2 seconds, just to be sure?

Also, how does the Garibaldi hair handle collisions with other props on the scene?

• HeatherleeaHeatherleea Posts: 247
    edited December 1969

I've been trying to figure out how to add a second layer of fur in a specific area only since I bought it and have had no luck. The first layer is fine I do an allover short fur on an animal, then I want to add either a ruff or more fur on the tail and I've tried everything I could think of but every time I add a new layer paint only the area I want to fur when I go to the fur it covers the whole critter not just the area I wanted to adjust. I know I am doing something wrong but don't know what it is, is there a step by step on how to add a second layer somewhere. Thanks

• GoneGone Posts: 833
    edited December 1969

I've been trying to figure out how to add a second layer of fur in a specific area only since I bought it and have had no luck. The first layer is fine I do an allover short fur on an animal, then I want to add either a ruff or more fur on the tail and I've tried everything I could think of but every time I add a new layer paint only the area I want to fur when I go to the fur it covers the whole critter not just the area I wanted to adjust. I know I am doing something wrong but don't know what it is, is there a step by step on how to add a second layer somewhere. Thanks

If you can supply screen caps, it might help to figure out the problem.

When you say layer, I assume you mean that you are creating a second hair node. When you talk about going to fur, do you mean in the Garibaldi window or DS?

Garibaldi will only show you the current hair node that you have selected so you should only see hair/fur on the painted area. DS will show you all the hair nodes that have not been turned invisible (closed eye icon).

I've done many hair styles (including a lion and gruggle) with 2 to 4 hair nodes and never experienced what you seem to be describing.

edited December 1969

The long and short of it. :-)

ShortBlackHair.jpg
    1200 x 1200 - 487K
    LongBlueHair.jpg
    1200 x 675 - 301K
    edited December 1969

Yeah I know I am missing a step or doing it totally wrong, need a step by step for dummies lol

Not sure if these screen caps will help

Image2.jpg
    1058 x 735 - 118K
    Image1.jpg
    1014 x 661 - 105K
    edited December 1969

Yeah I know I am missing a step or doing it totally wrong, need a step by step for dummies lol

Not sure if these screen caps will help

OK. I'm seeing a couple of problems here.

First, it looks as though you painted in an external paint program because I see the white along with the texture colour for the fox. A hair distribution map has to be grey scale and the level of grey determines how much hair will be generated. White areas will have full hair, black will have no hair, and a 0.5 value will have 50% coverage.

Say what now???? %-P

In the distribution panel, the amount you specify is number of hairs/ square centimeter - the default value is 10. This means that all white painted areas will grow 10 hairs/sq cm, black areas will have none, and areas painted with 0.5 value will generate 5 hairs/sq cm.

Clear as mud, right??

Texture maps are colour and have to be input seperately. So, grey scale maps are used to specify where hair grows, colour maps are used to provide colour for the hair. (Grey scale maps have other uses as well but we won't talk about that now - I'm sure your confused enough at the moment). The input boxes will only show maps that meet the proper criteria. In other words, only grey scale maps can be selected in the distribution section and only colour maps can be selected in the colour settings.

If the map were painted correctly, the next problem you have is in the distribution panel. Under "distribution settings" you will see a box for texture. The default is "hair Density". This is the map that is being read for distribution. Presumably, you used this map when you did the full body paint and that is why you are seeing the full body hair. To see the tail map (if it had been painted correctly) you would select it from the drop down so the correct map is being used. (You would also need to be sure to select the correct maps in the clump and tweak panels as well). The colour texture map would be plugged in the the texture box for the base and tip colour in the colour settings.

As far as hair distribution goes, only one distribution map is used to output the hair. This means that you have to create an new hair node for the tail and paint it seperately to do the additional styling you want.

So, to summerize this bit of confusion. Create a hair node and paint the full body. Input the fox texture map as a colour map and select it for the base and tip colour. Style to suit.

Create a second hair node and paint just the tail. The fox texture map can be input here as well and applied to the base/tip just like in the other hair node. Style to suit.

Back in DS, you now have a fox with 2 hair nodes and you're ready to render.

I'm assuming the fox only has one surface for selection in the setup panel. If there is more than on surface, then select only those you need to paint on for each node.

I hope you can understand this rambling. If not, then I will try to do a step by step. I don't have the fox but I do have the cat and big cat.

Good luck.

edited December 1969

First I did the base layer which turned out fine short fur all over. Then I started the next node and painted the tail portion white in garabaldi as that is where I wanted the fur to be. Then when I add fur with that node selected I am getting a full body texture of fur and tail is showing up as white. This is were I am mucking it up I think.

• Liquid RustLiquid Rust Posts: 14
    edited December 1969

Hi, first of all I have to say that I love this product and have been playing around with it since I bought it a few days ago. :]
    However, that said I have run into a problem and I am not sure where to go from here.

Ok so in Garibaldi Editor view it looks how it does in the first image..
    It kept its shape through countless test renders...until I tried to turn V5's head with the freestyle rotatation ball.
    I tried undo, didn't fix it. I even tried to just exit and not save as I had just done that right before I turned her head.
    Now it still looks fine in the Garibaldi Editor view, but looks how it does in the second image in the viewport:

And in the third image, rendered.

Is there an "electrocute figure" button? B/c I think I maybe have pushed it. lol

error_rendered.PNG
    603 x 589 - 457K
    error_afterturnedhead.PNG
    603 x 589 - 291K
    error_garibaldi_view.PNG
    603 x 589 - 260K
    edited December 1969

First I did the base layer which turned out fine short fur all over. Then I started the next node and painted the tail portion white in garabaldi as that is where I wanted the fur to be. Then when I add fur with that node selected I am getting a full body texture of fur and tail is showing up as white. This is were I am mucking it up I think.

So you are saying that you painted the white part on the texture map called tail? This is where the problem is. I assume the tail texture map was imported to use as a colour base. While you can paint on this map, it is not the correct one to use as a density map.

If you created a second hair node for the tail, then you should paint on the default hair density map. You would still import the tail map but that is to be used in the colour setting channels and should be the same texture map that you would use in DS - just resized and renamed for Garibaldi.

Here are some screen caps from the lion I did.

The DS screen shows 4 hair nodes. In all 4 nodes the painting was done on the default hair density map.

The lion mane Garibaldi screen shows the area painted for the mane. As you can see, it was painted on the hair density map. The lion texture screen shows the imported texture map used in the colour channels. This is the map you incorrectly painted on.

I hope this helps clarify things.

LionTextureScreen.jpg
    922 x 824 - 205K
    LionManeScreen.jpg
    914 x 828 - 296K
    LionScreen.jpg
    1531 x 938 - 261K
    edited December 1969

J.King said:
    Hi, first of all I have to say that I love this product and have been playing around with it since I bought it a few days ago. :]
    However, that said I have run into a problem and I am not sure where to go from here.

Ok so in Garibaldi Editor view it looks how it does in the first image..
    It kept its shape through countless test renders...until I tried to turn V5's head with the freestyle rotatation ball.
    I tried undo, didn't fix it. I even tried to just exit and not save as I had just done that right before I turned her head.
    Now it still looks fine in the Garibaldi Editor view, but looks how it does in the second image in the viewport:

And in the third image, rendered.

Is there an "electrocute figure" button? B/c I think I maybe have pushed it. lol

Is this behaviour repeatable?

I just tried it with a half dozen saved presets and even created a new hair but I can't get this reaction.

• Liquid RustLiquid Rust Posts: 14
    edited December 1969

Tried it on a different hairstyle and no, it seems to be fine for that one. :/

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited March 2013

J.King said:

There is...sort of.

The 'Surface Attract' slider can give that effect. A negative value can cause massive fly-aways like that...and combine that with the curl slider and you can get some really wild hair.

Post edited by mjc1016 on