Computer Specs

13»

Comments

• frodifrodi Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Hi Guys, I have put the userprofile and account on the 2T HHD. The SSD now still has 90 GB available. That will diminish somewhat if and when I put more graphic programs on it. But I can live with that.

Prixat, did you get a better render using ray trace and uberenvironment?

• prixatprixat Posts: 1,585
    edited January 2013

frodi said:
    ...did you get a better render using ray trace and uberenvironment?

yeah, there's really no substitute for actually calculating each ray.

In this example the multiple reflections and refraction needed 6 bounces and took 1 hour 25 minutes. - 2nd image

...but if you don't need all the effects ray tracing produces, you can get quite close: 1 minute 50 seconds. - 1st image

0-short.png
    800 x 400 - 345K
    0-long.png
    800 x 400 - 354K
    Post edited by prixat on
    edited December 1969

Well prixat, that is quite some difference!

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

prixat said:
    frodi said:
    ...did you get a better render using ray trace and uberenvironment?

yeah, there's really no substitute for actually calculating each ray.

In this example the multiple reflections and refraction needed 6 bounces and took 1 hour 25 minutes. - 2nd image

...but if you don't need all the effects ray tracing produces, you can get quite close: 1 minute 50 seconds. - 1st image

prixat...which version?

I noticed a considerable speed up with raytracing on my ancient dual core machine, with the latest beta, as it is using 3Delight 10.0.70...which includes some speed fixes. The longest I've had since running the beta, has been 5 hrs. A scene that under 4.5.1.6 that took well over an hour rendered in around 20 minutes, with the beta. I'm waiting on parts for my new build...

• prixatprixat Posts: 1,585
    edited December 1969

The difference here is only between using UE or using Point Cloud Occlusion. (beta 4.5.1.49)

The glass sphere that kept its correct reflections in the mirrors and had a proper lensing highlight, thats the full-GI, ray traced UE.

The other is with point cloud occlusion.
    It seems to have a bit of a problem with refraction, but otherwise looks just as good and took less than 2 minutes.
    Its a bit of an unknown entity that script. Sometimes I have to switch off UE, this time I did not have to.

edited December 1969

Interesting prixat.

edited December 1969

This is interesting, I finally got Corel Painter X to work. I used Geert de Peuter's intercept dll, and followed this advice:

If it's 64 bit with more than 8gb ram installed, when typing in Painter X in the last bit of the code put it in quotation marks... ie fixit "Painter X.exe" - this gets around the code not working because of the 'space'.

Now I have Corel Painter X back!

• edited December 1969

How do you measure specific render time for the Fairy Genesis scene? Is there a log or something?

• Korvis BlackKorvis Black Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

khobar95 said:
    How do you measure specific render time for the Fairy Genesis scene? Is there a log or something?

You should see a progress bar of the render process. It shows you the time elapsed doing the rendering.

• edited December 1969

Thank you for the quick reply!

I was afraid of that.

After over 30 minutes my render was at around 46%. So I went to make coffee and read a book. When I came back the render had finished. I don't know specifically when I kicked it off so I don't know exactly how long it took. I would have to guess an hour at least.

I have an Intel 3110 Xeon and 8GB DDR3 and was actually heading out to replace it when I decided I should probably do more research. Now I'm wondering if there's something up with my current system or if an hour or so to render that one scene is "normal" for what I have.

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

khobar95 said:
    Thank you for the quick reply!

I was afraid of that.

After over 30 minutes my render was at around 46%. So I went to make coffee and read a book. When I came back the render had finished. I don't know specifically when I kicked it off so I don't know exactly how long it took. I would have to guess an hour at least.

I have an Intel 3110 Xeon and 8GB DDR3 and was actually heading out to replace it when I decided I should probably do more research. Now I'm wondering if there's something up with my current system or if an hour or so to render that one scene is "normal" for what I have.

The render time will also appear in the log.