What would your MECH do? WIP/Commercial

AntManAntMan Posts: 2,019
edited February 2013 in Daz PA Commercial Products

So I have made the base Mech. Rotating cab with door and four jointed legs. But before I go on, What would your Mech do?
I can add a chain gun or cannon. I can add a crane arm or welder. Maybe a robotic hand off the side. So before I move on what do you want?

A construction bot.
A war machine.
An exploration bot.

If I did do all in one set, It would drive up the price of course, I can do that. Add on packages with textures are risky for creators. I do two additional versions and a ton more work but only few buy the set. 30-40% of the original set.

So I thought I'd take your temperature and see what you want. Maybe there's some idea I haven't even thought of.

Post edited by AntMan on

Comments

• RawArtRawArt Posts: 5,730
    edited December 1969

Beer/soda dispenser

Yeah...my life is simple ;)

• AntManAntMan Posts: 2,019
    edited December 1969

It has 6 cup holders.

• adamr001adamr001 Posts: 1,322
    edited December 1969

This one rings of construction. Maybe if you put an addon over the "vents in the cab" you could make it underwater / space suitable too.

edited December 1969

Underwater is a neat idea. I get a construction vibe as well but trust me a chain gun really changes the mood. : )

• adamr001adamr001 Posts: 1,322
    edited December 1969

They always listen to "reason". :) [insert reference to Snowcrash novel here]

• ServantServant Posts: 754
    edited December 1969

Lots of props out already that we can add to this to make it a war mech/battle platform, but not a lot of construction mechs around, so I'll go with that. Maybe a crane and and treads (which can be optionally swapped with the spider legs)?

• RawArtRawArt Posts: 5,730
    edited December 1969

just saying....

antfarmbot.jpg
    982 x 725 - 263K
    edited December 1969

Yeah war and battle seems to be the go to because they make fun renders but rescue bots and construction bots will no doubt be around somewhere. And it's true you can kit base just about anything to be a killer.

• ValandarValandar Posts: 1,417
    edited December 1969

Thing is, this has so many flat-on sides, it'd be tinfoil for any form of projectile or directed energy attack, unless it relies on something other than armor like a force field. So, yeah, this one strikes me as:

1 ) Construction mech

2 ) Recovery vehicle (to pick up downed vehicles after a battle)

3 ) Search and rescue, possibly even command post for such thanks to the railed off platform

edited December 1969

I did go flatter, I thought it would be good to mix it up a bit. It would make for a rich target with all the blind sides. Of course I could explain them away with tech but....

So I have no idea if there's a market for exploration tech or construction tech, but it's looking like I might be finding out.

• ServantServant Posts: 754
    edited February 2013

I did go flatter, I thought it would be good to mix it up a bit. It would make for a rich target with all the blind sides. Of course I could explain them away with tech but....

So I have no idea if there's a market for exploration tech or construction tech, but it's looking like I might be finding out.

Oh, there is a market. But just to be on the safe side, add a rocket launcher or a long range cannon. This design looks more suited as a mobile artillery platform if it has to have a military application just to get a wider market. That would explain the flatter configuration and thinner material since it won't be placed in the thick of things. :coolsmile:

Post edited by Servant on
  • TotteTotte Posts: 13,473
    edited December 1969

I would love a space port repair mech (with welders and suck cool things)

edited December 1969

I like all the ideas. Some sort of clamp arm for repair work and a welding arm. Maybe an antenna set up as a scout bot.

• CybersoxCybersox Posts: 8,745
    edited December 1969

I have to admit that the design of the legs leaves me baffled as to how exactly the thing moves without toppling over. That makes it feel like a low-zero G/underwater device to me, so I'm thinking Asteroid/Undersea Prospector with the legs being designed to grip the ground/wrap around objects rather than stand on them.

Or add a balloon on top or a unicycle tire on the bottom. ;)

• Jay_NOLAJay_NOLA Posts: 1,145
    edited December 1969

Add Attitude Jets and related additions for a space mecha.

Construction& recovery mecha could have a weapon that wasn't very great depending for emergency situations. I've seen numerous examples of mecha from various sources that were built for construction or weapons recovery that had weapons.

Some areas for modular systems could be an option to let you put a crane arm, gun, etc.

edited December 1969

The position is a default so I can put the bones in easy.
    The legs will be able to hold it up fine when bent, the base are will be expanded like a work light on a pole. Center then drops down, lower center of gravity.

• SpitSpit Posts: 2,342
    edited December 1969

So I have made the base Mech. Rotating cab with door and four jointed legs...

Sigh. I thought you meant a REAL CAB as in yellow with black and white checkerboard trim but with legs.

I scrolled down and was actually disappointed. Can you believe? LOL

edited December 1969

Maybe there's a market for that? It's impossible to do market research here so most of the time I am just rolling the dice. Fuzzy dice for the rear view mirror that is.

edited February 2013

No, wait... I got it. It's an All-Terrain TOUR BOT, used for taking people on safaris/bird watching expeditions in environmentally sensitive areas. Think of it as the robotic equivalent of an elephant with a howdah: the high raised platform offers a safe, stable viewing area for the tourists to take photos from, and the small footprint of the legs does the least environmental damage while letting the ATTB traverse both flat and rocky terrain as well as marshes and shallow rivers. Toss on some camo nets and it's a mobile blind for hunters or nature filmmakers. Heck, pop a plastic bubble on the top and you have the next generation of Popemobile/royal coach for the Queen!

And, just to make RawArt happy, it will naturally have a soft drink machine to sell cold beverages and brewskis to those of age.

Post edited by Cybersox on
  • UHFUHF Posts: 512
    edited December 1969

Are you familiar with Mechwarrior Dark Age Collectable Miniatures?

They had quite a few industrial mechs. Forestry would be a good fit here. That was a big grabber arm and chain saw. Militarized versions got should weapons like missile launchers.

There was also a mining mech... Big drill.

I dunno my guess is that additional attachments help. Weapons, arms, etc. Just try to thinking of its peace time use, and then think about what Citizen X would want to do with it... (Guns Lots of Guns)

• UHFUHF Posts: 512
    edited December 1969

Maybe there's a market for that? It's impossible to do market research here so most of the time I am just rolling the dice. Fuzzy dice for the rear view mirror that is.

I had a lot of fun with Cambot.. After two renders, stonemason commented that cambot looked cute that size.

Try to be flexible. Check out these;
    http://fluffybush.deviantart.com/art/Not-So-Cute-Anymore-354432725
    http://fluffybush.deviantart.com/art/I-told-you-not-to-peak-when-I-was-buffing-myself-353444526
    http://fluffybush.deviantart.com/art/Taking-Cammie-For-A-Ride-354279511

edited December 1969

Yeah it will be very pose-able for all terrain travel. I'm going to map the base see what inspiration might come from that.

• GhostofMacbethGhostofMacbeth Posts: 1,531
    edited December 1969

I can definitely see a construction vibe from this. Maybe a few hidden places for shock and zap tools like an astromech does in Star Wars, etc.

• redhorseredhorse Posts: 83
    edited December 1969

It definitely has a construction/industrial look to me. Maybe add some drilling tools and some small engines for an asteroid miner? Those legs look like they would make a good claw for grabbing a big hunk of rock in space. I could also see this used in a sci-fi shipyard/spaceport for moving cargo with some sort of crane type attachment.

edited December 1969

It doesn't matter what you want them to be... THEY want to be in SHOW BUSINESS!

Oh, we are the 'bots in the chorus,
    We hope you like our show,
    We know you're rooting for us,
    But now we have to go!

Bots_in_the_chorus.jpg
    1440 x 1080 - 306K
    edited December 1969

Ha Thanks I needed that! And yeah construction repair and welding are feeling right.
    OH and dancing.

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,514
    edited December 1969

...DJ BOT. give it dual turntables and manipulator arms. The main body is the amp and record storage.

...Domo Arigato, Mr. Roboto

• ZaarinZaarin Posts: 356
    edited December 1969

Oh, cool. I'd vote construction or exploration as well. I have quite an abundance of war mechs. "I think we're at war mech capacity," to alter a quote from Joker. (The one from Mass Effect, not the homicidal clown. :P)

edited December 1969

So here I went with a very light urban camo texture. There is a clamping arm and a welding arm. The door is solid here with a camera lens but it could be glass. the size is sort of open but I would make it to fit a passenger. So far no inside has been made. It will be a prop since it's only needed in some shots no point in it loading all the time.

10tmech2.jpg
    1152 x 788 - 515K
  • StorypilotStorypilot Posts: 1,659
    edited December 1969

Oh I like it so much!