Garibaldi Express: Hair and Fur Plugin [Commercial]

Comments

• FusionLAFusionLA Posts: 249
    edited December 1969

Mec4D said:
    It may confuse people already since we talking about OBJ more than the plugin itself

Garibaldi plugin do all the magic you need to make style and use it as you do with regular clothing , complete solution ..

but exported OBJ are plain models that are exported outside DS and does not include any rigging information or anything else beside UV's
    so if you want to use the OBJ in place of the plugin hair you need to learn how to do that .

marble said:
    Mec4D said:
    .. it is simple if you know what you do, you still need to rigg the obj after and make sure everything works , for me it works as well . as you do with Zbrush fiber hair .. and the obj exporter is additional feature that have nothing to do with the rest of plugin .. it is just OBJ converter and after that you are on your own with .. the obj model is UV mapped so not much job on this part .. DS transfer Utility works also so not see any issue to prevent you from making your own fiber obj hair using this tool , you can't use the Garibaldi hair shader on exported OBJs the support ends here

Thanks for this - I'm feeling a bit more confident now. When you say "you still need to rig the obj after ..." is this to add movement morphs, etc? Sorry - I have not tried making clothing yet so I'm not experienced with rigging, etc.

First Mec4D like your products alot! too bad they are not on Daz for sell anymore, I want that full huntsmen texture:).
    Looks like Garibaldi will be a buy for me.
    I tried the beta briefly and was easier than LAMH plugin to get a style that looked half decent in the short time using it.

*Also not to hijack this tread, but what export setting (scale % etc) are you guys using in DAZ Studio to Octane (trying the beta)?

• Shjak MondeShjak Monde Posts: 30
    edited December 1969

Garibaldi Express Hair System seems to be a cure to alot of my problems of never having the right hair for my Renders.
    Now I just need to learn to use it. I have been spending the whole day looking for a way to color the hair.
    I know this must be a real simple problem. One thats so simple I can not find anyone else talking about it.
    The help page and video is very helpful to showing all the interface tweeks , however I may need to understand alot of that language.
    What I am probably going to need to get started is a Real Small Tutorial, that shows a step by step SUPER EASY hair style.
    One that starts from Creating.... Coloring... to...Saving to OBJ.
    I am sorry if this has already been covered, but I have scanned the whole beta Forum and have feld to find anyone talking about it.
    Probably because it is suposed to be common sense and I am a dummy.
    I even tried to copy the Hair Colour file and take it into Photoshop and recolor it and then reload it in DAZ Studio 4.5 Garibaldi Express (making sure I checked it to be a Color Control Map) Maintaining 1024X1024 size png and kept same name.
    I know this is not a bug because of all the great pics everyone is posting.
    I finally took all the files into Photoshop and recolored them (Hair Colour),(Hair Density) and (Hair Random Root Angel). When I Render this I got nothing of the hair to show in the Render.
    Please someone point me into the right direction. I realy want this to work.

• Swawa3DSwawa3D Posts: 231
    edited December 1969

I beta tested this plug-in and I just wanted to say that it is amazing. It's takes a little while to get it down but it's very easy to use considering the quality results. I had no previous experience styling hair and this is what I was able to produce on my first and second attempt.

gotcha.png
    1920 x 1200 - 4M
    mohawk.png
    1920 x 1200 - 3M
  • Swawa3DSwawa3D Posts: 231
    edited December 1969

I have been spending the whole day looking for a way to color the hair.

You set the color of the hair in the Garibaldi Editor. Go to the "Distribute" tab and you can set the Base and Tip colors. There are also more advanced settings. Render to see the final result. See the online help for more details:

http://www.garibaldiexpress.com/wiki/index.php?title=Distribute_Workspace#Colour

• MEC4DMEC4D Posts: 5,249
    edited December 1969

The exported model is scaled as DS models 10000% , for octane it need to be scaled 1% by export as anything from DS
    You can also use function of import in Octane and use the DS profile . But what I do is exporting the hair OBJ , importing it back to DS then export the scene with Cinema4D profile from DS .. at 1%

fusionla said:

*Also not to hijack this tread, but what export setting (scale % etc) are you guys using in DAZ Studio to Octane (trying the beta)?

• DaremoK3DaremoK3 Posts: 798
    edited December 1969

Thank you, James, for the official release. I finally got to purchase my Christmas present. Well worth the wait.

• FusionLAFusionLA Posts: 249
    edited December 1969

Mec4D said:
    The exported model is scaled as DS models 10000% , for octane it need to be scaled 1% by export as anything from DS
    You can also use function of import in Octane and use the DS profile . But what I do is exporting the hair OBJ , importing it back to DS then export the scene with Cinema4D profile from DS .. at 1%

fusionla said:

Mec4D thanks for the reply back.
    Using the Cinema4D profile does write Material Library and collect maps need to be on?
    Garibaldi now bought

edited December 1969

Shjak Monde - 27 February 2013 03:34 PM

You set the color of the hair in the Garibaldi Editor. Go to the "Distribute" tab and you can set the Base and Tip colors. There are also more advanced settings. Render to see the final result. See the online help for more details:

http://www.garibaldiexpress.com/wiki/index.php?title=Distribute_Workspace#Colour

Thank you Swawa.
    I had studied this page and my renders were coming out white. As if there was no color.
    However in retrospect while going back over this page, as you suggested, I did notice that I had "Salted" way to high.
    I set the amount to 0.0 and I started to see some of the color I was wishing to obtain. However it was still way to white.
    Finally I decided to go to DAZ Studio's Surface and tried to tweek the Primary and Secondary Specular colors.
    I finally started to get the color that I was after and the whiteness of the hair disapeared.
    I am not sure this is the correct way to do it, But it worked.
  • GoneGone Posts: 833
    edited December 1969

Shjak Monde - 27 February 2013 03:34 PM

Thank you Swawa.
    I had studied this page and my renders were coming out white. As if there was no color.
    However in retrospect while going back over this page, as you suggested, I did notice that I had "Salted" way to high.
    I set the amount to 0.0 and I started to see some of the color I was wishing to obtain. However it was still way to white.
    Finally I decided to go to DAZ Studio's Surface and tried to tweek the Primary and Secondary Specular colors.
    I finally started to get the color that I was after and the whiteness of the hair disapeared.
    I am not sure this is the correct way to do it, But it worked.

You're on the right track here.

Normally, I will set the base/tip colours darker than I intend because the lighting will cause the hair colour to be lighter than it appears. Salting/Peppering gives good results with the min/max in the range of 0.020/0.150 - but you will want to play with these for different looks like and older grey haired person.

In Surfaces, I usually leave primary as is, secondary will be set a bit lighter than the tip colour and transmission a bit lighter still.

Keep in mind, most of my renders have been using an AOIBL_Light rig that came with young teens and A5 (among others). This uses uberenvironment so you may need to play with these settings to get the best effect for the particular lighting you use.

You mentioned OBJ output earlier. If you do create an OBJ, no colour information will be saved with it. You will need to build your own shader (or find a prebuilt one) to use in whatever render engine you export to.

Hope this helps.

edited December 1969

The answer is YES ...Material Library and Collect maps

fusionla said:
    Mec4D said:

fusionla said:

Mec4D thanks for the reply back.
    Using the Cinema4D profile does write Material Library and collect maps need to be on?
    Garibaldi now bought

• KarthKarth Posts: 709
    edited December 1969

Hi

i have no luck with getting an objectfile .
    Is there any documentation ?
    I can only save a wearable Piece..but that doesnt help :-(

• kitakoredazkitakoredaz Posts: 3,526
    edited December 1969

Thank you futurebiscuit and futurebiscuit , Now I can check thin and tweak more ,,:lol:

then I understand,, it is not so easy , just paint then extrude, finish tool.:roll:
    I may need many try ^^; Now I have so many question,,, and want to find tips about each step.
    but before ask here, I try with tutoriall.

I hope,, step by step tutorial how to make realistic long hair ,(not fur,)
    and good styling for V5 , A5. by this plug-in.

(I aim to make cuuutte cooool twin tail hair for my character by this plug in ^^;
    woo,,, how long time may I need,,, )

I did not know beta,, so may need more time to understand.

• marblemarble Posts: 7,449
    edited December 1969

Karth said:
    Hi

i have no luck with getting an objectfile .
    Is there any documentation ?
    I can only save a wearable Piece..but that doesnt help :-(

When you have the Garibaldi Editor open, look to the top right corner for the File Menu. You can save whatever hair you have in the editor workspace as a .obj file (can take a few minutes to save). Then in DAZ Studio, import the .obj file with your Genesis figure selected (you can make the original Garibaldi hair invisible while you work with the imported object, if you like).

It will import without colour. You can use the Surfaces tab to colour it or set up the materials in Reality and render using that.

I have noticed that the lovely fine detail (wispy hairs on the neck, etc.) seems to be lost during the export to .obj so I assume the width settings have no effect? The .obj item looks just like the display in the final Tweak screen of the Garibaldi editor.

• KarthKarth Posts: 709
    edited December 1969

Oh man..im stupid today*g*
    Thanks a bunch..Forget totally to take a look to that menu.

I better run .....

and that tool is sooooo cool...faster and so much easier to use than Poser Hairroom !

edited December 1969

Two images here comparing Studio Render and Reality - which only ran for 23 minutes but you get the idea.

Reality_Render.jpg
    692 x 701 - 79K
    DS_GH_Orig.JPG
    446 x 442 - 33K
  • GoneGone Posts: 833
    edited December 1969

Looks like I'm a little slow to the party. :-)

I think someone was asking for a comparison between the strand and object hair so here is my "quick" (yeah right!) and dirty comparison. Keep in mind that no shader info is saved with the object so you are on your own for shaders and - as you can see - my shader-fu sucks.

There are 2 DS renders and a Reality/Luxrender. For DS, I used the AOIBL_Light that I got with the young teens and A5. It consists of Uberenvironmnent, 1 distant light with raytraced shadows, 1 distant light specular only, and 1 spotlight specular only. For the Reality/luxrender I used 2 mesh lights set at 45 degrees on either side of the figure.

The strand hair was rendered with just over 137,000 hairs. The wearable asset file is just over 5 MB. For the object file, the hair count was set down to just over 51,000 hairs and the object file size was 111 MB. The DS render of the object hair used base resolution. The Reality/Luxrender had subdivision set to 1 (in Reality not DS).

Both DS renders took about 1.5 hours. The Luxrender ran for 14 hours and got to 400 S/p.

My computer isn't exactly top of the line but it probably clocks in around middle of the road for what most users have.

So, there you have it. Do with it what you will.

Hair3.jpg
    1200 x 1800 - 374K
    Hair2.jpg
    1200 x 1800 - 432K
    Hair1.jpg
    1200 x 1800 - 390K
  • legarclegarc Posts: 45
    edited December 1969

How does the hair render in the UE2, uber environment lighting, in DAZ? Looks like a nice product.

edited December 1969

I love how it render the hair in UB2 . it even reflect the scene without any Specular light setup . for me much better as standard renders
    everything is dependable of the Pixels Sample you use in rendering setting since it produce the hair from physical object , how higher the pixel sample how more fine and delicate the hair and more realistic , but it will slow down the rendering time

• Ali BozisAli Bozis Posts: 39
    edited December 1969

How can i use Garibaldi on pre-made hair from my smart content? So I can use all my hair styles and make them look more real???

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

Something I don't think that's been stressed enough...this is a 'pro grade' hair product. This is the type of stuff that you get with 3DSMax, Maya and so on...and in most cases, you get the hair, but you need to 'roll your own' for the shader (the included ones are usually very basic). The included hair shader in Garibaldi is also 'pro grade'...the only thing missing is physics, which is a DS short fall and nothing really to do with the hair itself.

• SzarkSzark Posts: 10,634
    edited December 1969

Nicely said mjc, I agree.

• futurebiscuitfuturebiscuit Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

As a part of the on going support to 'Garibaldi Express' customers, todays update presents:

'Mid-Length Strawberry Blonde Female' Hair Example.

http://www.garibaldiexpress.com/downloads/

Just a little additional something to play with.

tightWaveStraightComp01.jpg
    1500 x 1000 - 352K
    edited December 1969

Now that I have Figured out how to Color the Hair and continue to enjoy myself playing with this new Plugin, I continue to learn more about it and I am totally amazed.
    Thank you for creating Garibaldi's Express Hair System. This is one of my favorite Plugins for my DAZ Studio.
    Now all I have to do is to learn Hair Styling and allow my imagination use this great plugin to create creative Renders.
    I also want to thank futurebiscuit for their free Examples, for this Plugin. they are some great examples for me to learn from.

• kitakoredazkitakoredaz Posts: 3,526
    edited December 1969

yeah,, thank you good preset model! (Now I feel once understand about each setting,, it must be useful tool,,,)

then,, I have some quesiton ^^;

1, density map decide where Follicles of hair set ?
    and density decided by alpha opacity ? (withe value 1 100 % )
    so that,, about border of hairline,, set lower density? (I may adjust about detail in Gimp etc,,)

Distribution Setting "Amount" work all Follicles point,
    but when I need some part strong density, I need to adjust in density map?

2 Can I modify Thickness about each hair ? or it may be updated as future option?

3 Selection grouping seems improtant when Styling hair,, then Can I select somegroups
    or deselect at once? I know I can select some "style curve" by Select curve tools,

but I hope set style curves groups of all hair in selection list,,
    eg "avove L_Ear", "buck L_Ear" "front-1" "top area" etc,, and not merge them,

so I hope to deselect (or invisible) some groups at once in Selection list (as like poligon group editor,,,)
    with combination select other gorups, or select all.

if there is short cut command? or it may be updated as future option?

edited December 1969

2 Can I modify Thickness about each hair ? or it may be updated as future option?

In the Help page it says this:

Settings used to specify the hair stand widths during rendering.

The "during rendering" bit is important - it says to me that there is no polygon variation. I don't pretend to understand how this all works but I am doubting whether, for example, a thicker or finer hair can be exported to .obj?

3 Selection grouping seems improtant when Styling hair,, then Can I select somegroups
    or deselect at once? I know I can select some "style curve" by Select curve tools,

I have not got the hang of selection either. I drag a box around a section but it seems to select a much bigger area. I clearly need more practise. I did spend several hours yesterday trying to create a pony tail like the one on the Garibaldi Express web site but failed miserably. Any tips would be appreciated.

One further question: has anyone tried using this hair in an animation? I know the physics are missing but can it be posed?

• MangeyDesignerMangeyDesigner Posts: 129
    edited December 1969

marble there are several dsicussions in the Beta thread about making pony tails with Garibaldi.

One of the techniques discussed is using a 3d object as a hair tie and growing the ponytail from this and then parenting it to a Garibaldi node that has the rest of the hair. I did that quite succesfully using a random armband I had in my runtime and resizing to use it as a hair tie... I then used a fur shader on it to help the whole effect.

see the image below for an example of what this looked like... but there are other better ponytail attempts discussed in the beta thread

GHPonytail-Golden.jpg
    1407 x 1990 - 295K
    edited December 1969

marble there are several dsicussions in the Beta thread about making pony tails with Garibaldi.

... but there are other better ponytail attempts discussed in the beta thread

Damn! Caught out again :red:

After getting a gentle telling off from someone else about not reading that thread, I did have a scan through it but must have missed this bit. I don't think there is a way to restrict a search to a single thread, is there? Anyhow, I'll go back, tail between legs, and look more carefully this time.

I do think your method of growing the hair from the prop is very clever - I wouldn't have thought of that too quickly. Thanks.

• MangeyDesignerMangeyDesigner Posts: 129
    edited December 1969

marble said:

... but there are other better ponytail attempts discussed in the beta thread

Damn! Caught out again :red:

After getting a gentle telling off from someone else about not reading that thread, I did have a scan through it but must have missed this bit. I don't think there is a way to restrict a search to a single thread, is there? Anyhow, I'll go back, tail between legs, and look more carefully this time.

I do think your method of growing the hair from the prop is very clever - I wouldn't have thought of that too quickly. Thanks.

It wasn't my method for the ponytail... rather one a few of us tried with varying different results... some made their own props to grow the hair from but I just found a prop that seemed to work for what I wanted. If you search in the forum you should be able to search by post and not thread... it will show hits from other threads but you should be able to drill into pages with the relevant posts at least... or you used to be able to search like that anyway!!

I just remembered I actually grew the ponytail hair node from a sphere that is nestled in the hair tie.

The Beta thread went for a few months and has a wealth of info and some very inspiring renders so if you have bought or are considering buying then it is worth the time to skim through it to get the most out of the plugin... or to make the best informed decision.

Some of the renders in there are very much learning exercises but some are really quite stunning too. I have a couple of threads in the Art Studio with some of my artistic renders as opposed to test renders and I will post some more renders in here over the next few days.

Here is another one for good measure.

A Unicorn using the new DAZ horse. Mane, tail and all over short hair are 3 nodes on the horse and there is one quick and crude node on Genesis.

Forest_of_Enchanment-s.jpg
    1999 x 1413 - 374K
  • twallingtwalling Posts: 241
    edited March 2013

Is there, like, a manual or something that comes with this? I just bought it, downloaded it, and installed it, and got not information on, like, where it is on my computer or, like, how to run it.

I've seen some pretty impressive things in the forums from people who've evidently figured out how to run this thing, I'd like to join their ranks. ;)

UPDATE: I found a help page : http://www.garibaldiexpress.com/wiki/index.php?title=Installation#Installation

UPDATE 2: It wasn't very helpful.

UPDATE 3: Ahah! I had to close Daz Studio and then reopen it! I've successfully installed it, yay me!

UPDATE 4:
    I still think a manual would be a helpful thing.

Post edited by twalling on
  • RiggswolfeRiggswolfe Posts: 899
    edited December 1969

Hey this looks great. I have LAMH and beta tested this. I just bought it but it will be a few hours before I can test it. I had a couple of questions:

1) Does it install through Daz Install Manager or do I need to download and install it the old fashioned way?
    2) How well can you do bangs with this hair? I have a 'tough guy' render in mind and I'd like to have a few strands of bangs hanging down in front of his face.

I'll post an image from the Crow to give an idea what I mean

CrowDet2.jpg
    320 x 240 - 6K