Novica & Forum Members Tips & Product Reviews Pt 9

Comments

• TabascoJackTabascoJack Posts: 865
    edited July 2017

@Novica - Haven't checked in on the thread in quite a long time.   Sorry to hear about all the health issues your family has been having, but glad that everyone seems to be doing well now.

Looking at today's sale - I rarely buy things the first day they come out, but.......Stonemason.    Streets.   Sometimes, you just gotta do it.

Here's a quick render (HDRI only, no postwork) from Streets of Morocco.  The set includes a "meAtmosphere" object, which uses SSS to simulate a haze.  I turned it invisible in the render below.   Render time on 1200x900 was under 4 minutes.

I made the meAtmosphere object visible in this render (695x900 image rendered in under 6 minutes)

Morocco1.jpg
    1200 x 900 - 790K
    Morocco2.jpg
    695 x 900 - 456K
    Post edited by TabascoJack on
  • NovicaNovica Posts: 23,859

@tabascojack  Thanks for popping back in, always glad to see you. Thanks, things are settling down. Mom made the decision on her own on Wednesday, July 5th, to stay in specialized care and not go back to her apartment. Sad to know that's the beginning of the final stage, where you can't take care of yourself and are declining, but I also see a relaxation in her demeanor. She doesn't have to worry about falling now. It's okay for her to be in a wheelchair. (But she will still be doing physical therapy and walking.)  I hung up a birdfeeder outside her window (let the one at her apartment for now)  and they went and got her recliner (heated, vibrates, everything automatic and it tilts to help her up) so she is a fairly happy camper. My sister was always scheduled to come this tomorrow and stay a week, so the timing is good. She'll be staying longer so we can get the apartment done. 

I'm tempted to pick up Stonemason's set too. I think his are reasonably priced, my gosh, for all that work!  

edited July 2017

i13 Warehouse Poses   To me, this is ho-hum.  If you're going to do a pose set for a particular set, then use the props in the scene. We don't need more sitting around and chatting poses, more leaning over poses, more gesturing-and-could-be-anywhere poses. The props for the warehouse are:

• Barrel      WH Blue Barrel       WH Crate 01       WH Crate 02    WH Crate Stack Small
    • WH Dolly     WH Office Box Single   WH Office Clip Board     WH Office Coffeemaker     WH Office Cork Board       WH Office Damaged Box   
    • WH Office Desk    WH Office File Cabinet     WH Office Microwave     WH Office Monitor    WH Office Open Box     WH Office Phone    WH Office Sec Camera
    • WH Office Stool 01    WH Office Stool 03     WH Office Table    WH Office Tape Gun    WH Office Time Punch   WH Office Vacuum   WH Office Water Cooler 
    • WH Palette Jack   WH Palette with Boxes 2   WH Palette with Sacks   WH Pallet 01   WH Forklift:  Up/Down   A forklift!!!!  And not a single pose.  Nor for the time punch, microwave, boxes, etc 

You've got a cork board to pin something to, a file cabinet, a clip board to carry, a desk, a phone to make calls, a tape gun- where's the variety in using all of these in different ways?

One word for this set of warehouse poses-disappointing. The coffee machine gets used in a "putting it back" motion, otherwise, most these poses are just people interaction and have nothing to do with the PROPS.    This is NOT a warehouse pose set if it doesn't use the warehouse items.

Post edited by Novica on
  • Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,558
    edited July 2017

I would've bought the set if it were practical but that pose set looks like it comes straight from a workplace education video on sexual harassment. The female characters are leaning over showing as much cleavage as possible and there are no actual working poses beyond the office coffee clatch sets. I get it. Smexy stuff sells but  the male character checking the females rear in the promos says it all as well as the female characters with their bras showing. Hmm maybe I will buy it and reverse the genders there. I do think as well there. Seems to be maximum butt and hip sway in that set.

Post edited by Serene Night on
  • TabascoJackTabascoJack Posts: 865

Hmm maybe I will buy it and reverse the genders there. 

That should be interesting!

• RGcincyRGcincy Posts: 2,806

I would've bought the set if it were practical but that pose set looks like it comes straight from a workplace education video on sexual harassment. 

My thought exactly. That's not uncommon in i13 pose sets from what I've seen. I'd much rather have working poses as Novica indicated. The warehouse looks interesting though.

• luci45luci45 Posts: 2,654
    edited July 2017

luci45's Top 5 Picks for June 2017

IDG Iray FX - Props and Shaders  Render  An RRRR render. Lots of Rons Sci-Fi Optical Flares too, so a little hard to see them clearly. Anyway some really fun shader/lights from IG. 
    N.G.S. Anagenessis 2 - Revolution   Render  I love this skin shader, got it on sale or I wouldn't have gotten it for $49. Good for Genesis 1, 2 and 3.
    Wyzaerds Too   Render  Just fooling around. LOL.
    M3D Coen Shapes HD for Genesis 3 Male    Render 1   Render 2  Male-M3dia comes up with some really cool morphs. With this one there are some really unique characters. 
    Skies of iRadiance - Sunset HDRIs for Iray   Render  I did this for a challage on Renderosity. 

Post edited by luci45 on
    L'Adair said:

Respite

Respite, by L'Adair

@ladair  We're friends, so I have to poke fun at you.  I was going back through my thread to do the top picks summary, and had to laugh at this one you did. That's a very talented and strong plant, balancing a house like that! 

• IceDragonArtIceDragonArt Posts: 12,548

This is Juliana one of two character morphs by Virtual World for V8 in the shop this week.  You get two different morphs of slightly older women (Mid thirties). They come with a skin (one skin and opttions between the two them) and several beautiful make up options, nice and subtle, as well as a good selection of eye colors. I will have a render of Julia tomorrow probably. I'm not totally happy with my render but it does show Juliana morph well.  I need to work on my power pose skills for expressions, its taking a bit of getting used to lol

• shadowhawk1shadowhawk1 Posts: 2,186

Hi all,

Been watching for a while but tend to be more of a lurker than poster anymore. I am trying to do some postwork and I have run into a problem that i am hoping someone here can help with. I am trying to depict a shockwave eminating from a character and shoving people and objects away from her. I have a copy of photoshop CS6 with mediocre skills. Any hints and help woud be greatly appreciated. 

• escrandallescrandall Posts: 487

Hi all,

Been watching for a while but tend to be more of a lurker than poster anymore. I am trying to do some postwork and I have run into a problem that i am hoping someone here can help with. I am trying to depict a shockwave eminating from a character and shoving people and objects away from her. I have a copy of photoshop CS6 with mediocre skills. Any hints and help woud be greatly appreciated. 

There's Force Fields for G2F, but it could easily be fit to other characters.  Some of Ron's brushes would probably work well too..

Hi all,

I would design a scene with the character using telekinesis  and the characters flying back out of the way. And props flying back too. Then I would do sevral renders. One of the background one as is with it all in place and another with a canvas layer of just the figures. For the shockwave I would probably try different blur or distortion effects emanating from the individul in a certain radius. I might apply lights or electric energy effects to her hands or body to indicate the character using that power was generating some kind of energy. I might also give the eyes a wild color . I would use brushes on skin and hands. I might experiment with daz motion blur or simply blur the edges of the flying character. I would apply dust or particles and fog to indicate the telekinetic person was kicking up a storm and the flying characters were falling back in a spray of debris.

I don't do much postwork as I mainly do things for the thread, but I was thinking a masked area and gaussian blur that, with the area by her hands thinner then radiating outward like in a triangle. I would have the blur lessen as it reaches the end, and very strong by her hand. You could lightly tint the area too. 

Hi all,

There's Force Fields for G2F, but it could easily be fit to other characters.  Some of Ron's brushes would probably work well too..

Actually the effect I am looking for looks like the shockwave from a high order detonation. http://imgur.com/Le4ajDz The forceshield idea looks good and I am going to wishlist it but I am just looking for something a little different looking

• FishtalesFishtales Posts: 6,043

Something in the back of my mind said that Photoshop did a radial blur that might work. I was right but whether it will work or not is up to you.

https://www.google.es/search?q=radial+blur+in+photoshop+cs5&client=ms-opera-mobile&channel=new&espvd=1&gws_rd=cr&ei=llJiWaOuG4vLwQLR1p-IBw

There is a filter in Photoshp called Plastic wrap which looks like the effect you want.

• L'AdairL'Adair Posts: 9,479
    Novica said:
    L'Adair said:

Respite

Respite, by L'Adair

@ladair  We're friends, so I have to poke fun at you.  I was going back through my thread to do the top picks summary, and had to laugh at this one you did. That's a very talented and strong plant, balancing a house like that! 

First belly laugh of the day. Thank you. laugh

I can see how it might look that way at first glance, with the smaller images! A slightly lower angle would have "fixed" that...

Fishtales said:

Something in the back of my mind said that Photoshop did a radial blur that might work. I was right but whether it will work or not is up to you.

https://www.google.es/search?q=radial+blur+in+photoshop+cs5&client=ms-opera-mobile&channel=new&espvd=1&gws_rd=cr&ei=llJiWaOuG4vLwQLR1p-IBw

I found the Radial blur filter and made something passable for now, Thanks for the tip fishtales,

There is a filter in Photoshp called Plastic wrap which looks like the effect you want.

I will have to find that one and check it out Thanks Serene!

edited July 2017

I was waiting for a gift card offer and the other day one came along, so to trigger it I got Wild Arums - A wild flower bundle for Daz Studio. I combined it with grass and weeds from G3D-DA Grass and Plant Pack and a tree trunk from Dark Trees Pack 1.  The central white and red flowers are from wild arums while the surrounding foliage and the fallen tree are from the grass and plant pack. Here are two  IRay renders, the first without DOF and the second with DOF. The sets combine together nicely and give a nice lush setting.

arums and grass sharp.png
    1200 x 960 - 2M
    arums and grass dof.png
    1200 x 960 - 2M
    Post edited by RGcincy on
  • nemesis10nemesis10 Posts: 3,256
    edited July 2017

I think you mention the Shimuzu Elite heads; I was going to make a series of renders for you but a) realized the renders with the product are quite fine, and b) my first render has the eyes not facing the right way... So i will mention the wonderful PD Toby product.  Here is his texture (minus the character) on GM3 using the Versatile Morphs, Shimuzu Elite Zane, DimensionTheory HDRI, and a few hair products.  I hope your family's health improves!

Zane.jpeg
    1484 x 1234 - 186K
    Post edited by nemesis10 on

I do like those together! I remember years ago there weren't many good grass products, then several sets came out and I used to use them, then we got the grass megapack and more and more grass products. So all set! 

Just got back from (try not to laugh, it was cute!) a horse birthday party. Quite fun, the owner had cupcakes and cookies for us, and all the horses got treats. Since the horse is 30 years old tomorrow, and has no teeth, Stetson got Keno bottles of Beechcraft baby food (Pear, Apple, Strawberry and Banana, Carrots) and spoons to get it out of the jar, all in a large Rubbermaid container that she can put the food in for Keno to lick out.  I tied multiple ribbons around the jars, made them all curly.  Plus, a yellow duckie silk sponge for when the owner gives Keno a bath.  It was really funny to shop for a horse's birthday. 

My sister and I are packing up mom's apartment, as I mentioned July 5th, she decided she just couldn't manage very well anymore with walking unassisted or having someone behind her in case she would fall. She loves her large yard view (we wouldn't move her unless she got a window, her bird feeder is her big source of entertainment) and I got her a hanging plant. Have you heard of Zazzles? They are like mums in that they're layered, the edges are more pointed. Moms are HOT pink/purple. Really cool. (Full sun or partly, good for pots or hanging. Got it at Home Depot. )   Anyway, won't be online much this week, I did get all the Top 3-5's so far listed in the June links per person post and in the what you've listed previously summary.  We're doing it until the 12th so there's still time.  smiley

edited July 2017

Just a few I did last week to test hair I am packaging (from Rendo.)  These are both on Genesis, using the V3digitimes  Iray Converter for Genesis  for the skin. Man, these pose stiff compared to G3F.

This first gal is Morgan for Victoria 4.2 and Genesis and the Rendo hair is Leiko. I added smoothing. Watch out for these files, they have My Library in the file structure. Mine are Content>whatever.

MorganGENESISLeikoSIG.png
    600 x 900 - 951K
    Post edited by Novica on
    edited July 2017

Again using the V3digitimes  Iray Converter for Genesis  

This Genesis gal is Dawn for V4 and V5 (with lips tweaked) and the Rendo hair is Laval. Another My Library> setup. I really like this hair. Looks very soft and it's a nice short but not ultra short hairstyle.  EDIT and there's an update, it now includes Genesis 2.

dawnLavalHairRENDO.png
    700 x 900 - 971K
    Post edited by Novica on
    edited July 2017

@nemesis10   Thanks for the wishes- mom is going to be 90 in December so she's holding her own. Today was sad though- there was a Happy Birthday banner over a door, as my sister and I walked by a woman (in fifties probably) came out and I said "Happy birthday to whoever is having one." and she stopped and said it was her mother, her birthday was today, and she went into a coma this morning and wasn't expected to open her eyes again. Oh my goodness. ON HER BIRTHDAY that happened. The woman burst into tears and I just hugged her,  the birthday cake had just arrived and that's why she was leaving the room to go get it to the social room. All the relatives were there but that wasn't WHY they were there, they all thought they'd be sharing the cake with the woman. So it put our situation in perspective VERY quickly.  Mom is not going to be in her assisted living apartment anymore, but she is still there at the facility, she has her birdfeeder, and her comfy recliner was moved to her new room so she's all set. 

EDIT: THAT WOMAN PASSED AWAY. 

I had to smile earlier today- I thought about all of us when we get really old. We'll all be sitting in recliners, using laptops (because by then, they'll be high powered and ultra sophisticated with RAM, speed, and everything else) and we'll be happy little campers. Forget Bingo- we have our renders. And many of you will be world famous authors, and I'll say "I knew (name) when..." 

So back to Daz- I like the Toby materials, thanks for showing those!  He looks good in that hair too, it's suave but doesn't look stiff. 

Post edited by Novica on
    Novica said:

mom is going to be 90 in December so she's holding her own. Today was sad though- there was a Happy Birthday banner over a door, as my sister and I walked by a woman (in fifties probably) came out and I said "Happy birthday to whoever is having one." and she stopped and said it was her mother, her birthday was today, and she went into a coma this morning and wasn't expected to open her eyes again. Oh my goodness. ON HER BIRTHDAY that happened. The woman burst into tears and I just hugged her,  the birthday cake had just arrived and that's why she was leaving the room to go get it to the social room. All the relatives were there but that wasn't WHY they were there, they all thought they'd be sharing the cake with the woman. So it put our situation in perspective VERY quickly.  Mom is not going to be in her assisted living apartment anymore, but she is still there at the facility, she has her birdfeeder, and her comfy recliner was moved to her new room so she's all set. 

I had to smile earlier today- I thought about all of us when we get really old. We'll all be sitting in recliners, using laptops (because by then, they'll be high powered and ultra sophisticated with RAM, speed, and everything else) and we'll be happy little campers. Forget Bingo- we have our renders. And many of you will be world famous authors, and I'll say "I knew (name) when..." 

Sad story about the birthday. That's life I suppose. Hope your mom settles in well to her new digs.

When we are old, it won't be a laptop we'll be using but a VR projector were we can walk (even though we are sitting in those recliners) to the exact spot we want to put a prop and adjust the pose and position as needed, and visit each other's scene as young virtual avatars. 

To avoid double posting of the same material in two spots, I've been posting my reviews of various city and town related products only in my Big City thread (the link is in my signature below). Hopefully Novica won't mind me posting a link to it here ever so often. The format I'm using (links to products, links opening in new tabs, index at the beginning, and mini-tutorials) are all things I learned and reapplied from her on this thread.

RGcincy said:

To avoid double posting of the same material in two spots, I've been posting my reviews of various city and town related products only in my Big City thread (the link is in my signature below). Hopefully Novica won't mind me posting a link to it here ever so often. The format I'm using (links to products, links opening in new tabs, index at the beginning, and mini-tutorials) are all things I learned and reapplied from her on this thread.

Oh no, feel free to post the links to yours, not a problem.  
    LOL, I can see you with your VR headset on and I gallop in to your city on a black horse (of course) to check it out. 

Heads up, 60% Flash sales going on right now, several stores.

Did anyone buy epic sky domes mystical cave? I'm having trouble getting good results from this set. This is the first hdri I've bought that requires me to move a character to a specific location eying zero. 

• IceDragonArtIceDragonArt Posts: 12,548
    edited July 2017

Did anyone buy epic sky domes mystical cave? I'm having trouble getting good results from this set. This is the first hdri I've bought that requires me to move a character to a specific location eying zero. 

I did but haven't had a chance to use it yet.  I had the same issue with the one before that and it took a bit of getting used to but once I figured it out it was beautiful.  I'm at work and don't remember exactly what I did but he may have some videos explaining how to to use it he usually does.  Let me check for you.  Can't really walk through it at the moment but will try and track down any videos anyway.

Well, no videos on these in particular but I think there is a user guide included.  Sorry, I know that's not a lot of help at the moment.

Post edited by IceDragonArt on
This discussion has been closed.