Garibaldi Express: Hair and Fur Plugin [Commercial]

Comments

• Roberto MeloRoberto Melo Posts: 496
    edited December 1969

It's certainly a fantastic product.

But before buying your product, I would like to ask some questions, please.

1 - In his shop, has a free product. I downloaded it and certainly the Scene opened in my DS4. But I see no hair, the document is there but it is not visible. Not visible even after performing the Render. What's this? I'll only see your demonstration activities with your pluglim installed?

This is no demonstration!

2 - if I work on a cloak to Genesis. The cover model in Hexagon and decide to put an ornament on top of the cloak. An animal skin. And I decide to use your plugin to hair, the animal skin.

My cloak is wonderful, has hair and looks really an animal skin, is real.

Now that I see is just an illusion, only exists for a Render?? Or all my work to make the hairs on my cover, can become a real thing, which is part of the cover. A obj, for example, or save it as a DS4 clothes and hair are now part of the geometry of my cloak. Is this possible?

And if possible, can I sell my cover? Distribute as a gift?

That is the question.

Thank you.

Roberto.

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,219
    edited December 1969

Since export to OBJ is apparently not yet finished, see earlier post, you will need the plugin to see or render the hair. The freebie at the site is presumably a preset for use with the plugin, perhaps the first of many depending on the answer to the previous question about sharing presets.

• MangeyDesignerMangeyDesigner Posts: 129
    edited December 1969

for more info and help I would definitely encourage people to browse through the Garibaldi Beta thread. I know there is a lot there to read but so many settings and processes have been shared in that thread along with lots of great example renders that it really is a must for people wanting to know more right now.

You can definitely save your hair styles as wearable props and these can be used by others and there is a mechanism to export as an OBJ however I have not done much with that... but again I urge anyone who has boiught the plug-in (or who needs more info) to browse the Beta thread and see if their questions are answered in there and also to get an idea on how people have been mastering different techniques with the plug-in.

It is very easy to use and skimming that thread will give you lots of good info and also some inspiration for your own renders.

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/9943/

just another of my renders as I really like how this tiger turned out.

Majestic_Beast-s.jpg
    1413 x 1999 - 525K
  • peteVaultpeteVault Posts: 308
    edited December 1969

What are the render times compared to "normal" pre-styled hair? I know it depends on the amount of hair. But normal hair is a slow render...is the hair module faster, slower or about the same? And this does NOT render in Reality? Correct?

• chachahchachah Posts: 27
    edited December 1969

jwlovell said:
    Is there a way we can share the settings for different models? I.e. Let's say I do a real nice Horse 'fur' and mane. Is there a mechanism to export the settings for other people who own this plug-in?

I'm all for not having to re-invent the wheel. :)

Regards,

Joel

Hi, Joel
    You can save the hair as a scene subset: "File > Save As > Scene Subset..."
    Unchek all the unnecessary items and save.
    When you load it again, don't forget to set the "Fit To" propertie to the appropriate figure.

• RawArtRawArt Posts: 5,731
    edited December 1969

Ok...I have one very pressing question.....

.....Does the "Garibaldi" name hark back to "Babylon 5"......afterall there was some drama about Mr. Garibaldi's hair loss issues ;)

Rawn

• HeatherleeaHeatherleea Posts: 247
    edited December 1969

I am using silverfox toy dog and it has one map for everything and the first node of hair I do with it I kept short and it turns out great, when I go to add a second node to add more hair on the body I can't get it to use the texture map, even though I select it when it asks for it. I end up with a white hair layer. I know I must be missing a step or two, any advice? Work in progress but here is the first layer of hair, need to tweak it a bit more, but it has breathed new life into this model.

ssdog1.jpg
    486 x 696 - 37K
  • KeryaKerya Posts: 10,943
    edited December 1969

How to save Garibaldi Hair instructions by Gone
    http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/9943/P1125/#257568

After you have created your masterpiece hair, go to the scene tab and rename the hair node to something with a bit more zing. Besides, it will make life easier after you've built up a library of hair and have more than one loaded onto your character.

Now move the hair node up to the root node of your character so that it becomes a child node of the character. Check in the parameters tab to make sure the hair is "fit to" your character.

With both those actions complete, select your character and go to File->Save As->Wearable(s) Preset. A save screen will open (default is Genesis content->Figures). Use that location or navigate to where you want to save and give it the name of the hair. A new dialog will open showing all the nodes that can be saved. Uncheck everything but the hair (if there is anything else) and save.

You now have a wearable asset you can load to any compatible figure but you will have to access it through the Content Library tab.

Good luck.

edited December 1969

Since export to OBJ is apparently not yet finished, see earlier post, you will need the plugin to see or render the hair. The freebie at the site is presumably a preset for use with the plugin, perhaps the first of many depending on the answer to the previous question about sharing presets.

Honestly, there is a product that will bring me any benefit. I had hoped, because it would be useful for making clothing and props.

Thank you Richard!

• MEC4DMEC4D Posts: 5,249
    edited December 1969

Congrats James on the release !
    btw I love the obj exporter as well and it do the work as expected if you know what to do with that .. I rigged it, I used with collision , both DS and Poser so nothing can stop us now from creating wonderful hair creations !

• JonnyRayJonnyRay Posts: 1,744
    edited December 1969

My question is on the interaction with light. Normally one drawback to shader based hair is that it can't cast shadows since there isn't any geometry for the rendering engine to interact with. For instance, a long thick ponytail won't actually create a shadow on the back of the character's neck.

Is this true for this system as well?

Not necessarily a deal breaker, there are ways to fake it, just curiosity. It does look like a very flexible system what would be a great addition to my toolbox.

edited December 1969

Yes it create shadows and also Ambient Occlusion , and it is not an illusion it is based on the geometry that is used for rendering, so shadow maps and ambient occlusion are created as with any other object .. it is not a shader

JonnyRay said:
    My question is on the interaction with light. Normally one drawback to shader based hair is that it can't cast shadows since there isn't any geometry for the rendering engine to interact with. For instance, a long thick ponytail won't actually create a shadow on the back of the character's neck.

Not necessarily a deal breaker, there are ways to fake it, just curiosity. It does look like a very flexible system what would be a great addition to my toolbox.

• edited December 1969

Does this plugin do physics of any kind? Draping, automatic movement when animating, etc?

edited December 1969

No since DS don't use any kind of physics but the good thing here is you can adjust the physics effect yourself to each hair and remodel any style to match your needs , I wish there was gravity and collision for animation but who knows maybe in the next version James can create something closer to simulate it ..

Punisher said:
    Does this plugin do physics of any kind? Draping, automatic movement when animating, etc?
    edited December 1969

Thanks Catharina. Definitely something worth a purchase .. now to find the room in my budget. :)

Mec4D said:

Yes it create shadows and also Ambient Occlusion , and it is not an illusion it is based on the geometry that is used for rendering, so shadow maps and ambient occlusion are created as with any other object .. it is not a shader

JonnyRay said:

edited December 1969

The price is nice also for the next 2 days! The Garibaldi hair are in the same quality as the Zbrush curve hair with the extras that you can style it so much better and easy and don't have to know the technical details about rigging as it is already there following your animated figure without haste , even the exporter for obj export exactly the same geometry types as I used for the Unshaven Set for M5 as long you use the subdivision 3 what is all you need for DS and Poser , since 3 faces are more than enough to look nice, another great astuff about it is that after exporting to obj you can still change the thickness of the hair in DS when it is rigged so a lot of good stuff and it is my primary hair plugin for all my fibers and it render sooo fast , I am sure you will love it when you get more comfortable to work with , there is also a lot of documentation so easy to follow , and the best part the hair have own amazing shader already so the hair looking nice , and there may be no difference between MAYA or PIXAR anymore as they belong to the family and I just love it!

JonnyRay said:
    Thanks Catharina. Definitely something worth a purchase .. now to find the room in my budget. :)
    Mec4D said:

JonnyRay said:

• foleyprofoleypro Posts: 442
    edited February 2013

Yes you will have to own the plugin in order to use the Hair or even render the hair...But you can make Obj presets once you own the plugin for sale or Freebies..

Very nice plugin I enjoyed testing and sending feedback...I willl buy soon...

The options on styling and other settings its an awesome plugin and the export option works but you have to becareful because tooo much hair and you could end up with million poly objects...Its a trial and error on each machine depending on your machine and Ramm...The beta forum is a great read...Very informative...

Here is one of my favorite beta images...

530582_4968906428186_1327866439_n.jpg
    960 x 960 - 125K
    Post edited by foleypro on
    edited December 1969

Mec4D said:
    The price is nice also for the next 2 days! The Garibaldi hair are in the same quality as the Zbrush curve hair with the extras that you can style it so much better and easy and don't have to know the technical details about rigging as it is already there following your animated figure without haste , even the exporter for obj export exactly the same geometry types as I used for the Unshaven Set for M5 as long you use the subdivision 3 what is all you need for DS and Poser , since 3 faces are more than enough to look nice, another great astuff about it is that after exporting to obj you can still change the thickness of the hair in DS when it is rigged so a lot of good stuff and it is my primary hair plugin for all my fibers and it render sooo fast , I am sure you will love it when you get more comfortable to work with , there is also a lot of documentation so easy to follow , and the best part the hair have own amazing shader already so the hair looking nice , and there may be no difference between MAYA or PIXAR anymore as they belong to the family and I just love it!

JonnyRay said:
    Mec4D said:

JonnyRay said:

Ok, this is the answer I needed. Are you saying that I can export it to OBJ. And use the hairs that create detail as part of an outfit I created.

If true, then the product is fantastic. :)

• foleyprofoleypro Posts: 442
    edited December 1969

Mec4D said:

JonnyRay said:
    Mec4D said:

JonnyRay said:

Ok, this is the answer I needed. Are you saying that I can export it to OBJ. And use the hairs that create detail as part of an outfit I created.

Yes...I have used in Poser and tS and Zbrush to even more style the fur and hair...Its awesome...

edited December 1969

Yes that is true, you can't export OBJ only from any copyrighted styles but only from your own styles , make sure you know what you do as it can turns quickly into millions of poly , the suggested subdivision is # 3 with around 7-10.000 hair strands for best files , other way you will get trouble in rigging or rendering , for using the hair for still render like in Reality it is ok to have higher values of hair , but still all you need is subdivision 3 , I even styled the exported hair in Zbrush after , working beautiful since the hair strands have more segments they bend so well . Exported OBJ can be distributed freely as long it is all your creation

Mec4D said:

JonnyRay said:
    Mec4D said:

JonnyRay said:

edited February 2013

Mec4D said:

One example. For hair this piece of leather, armor that I am creating. This is fantastic, beards, hair, clothes and decorations beyond what I imagined.

Would this not be too heavy?

Armour_02.jpg
    762 x 780 - 430K
    Armour_01.jpg
    1022 x 737 - 241K
    Post edited by Roberto Melo on
    edited December 1969

So, I go look at my account, figure if I move a planned purchase to next week I can free up the money for the hair system in February without dipping into any reserves (I don't use credit cards anymore, and have a safety net for true emergencies).

I go to make the purchase, click on Add to Cart, and it says it was added, but my cart still shows zero items. I click on the cart and it says it is empty. So I go back to add it again, and the store says I can only have one of them in my cart.

Did all the standard Internet troubleshooting, clearing cookies, logging out, closing browser, switching browsers. Same thing every time. I can't add it again, but my cart says it is empty.

Waiting to hear from DAZ in response to the ticket I submitted to them.

• JowryJowry Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

From the sounds of it, the system is limited at this point to .obj export. I need to send my animated models textures animation from DAZ3D to 3DS Max 2011, as FBX files. I assume that this isn't a possibility right now - since FBX is becoming an open standard, is there any possibility you might add this at some point? Thanks. Product looks great, by the way!

• Canary3dCanary3d Posts: 2,004
    edited December 1969

JonnyRay said:
    So, I go look at my account, figure if I move a planned purchase to next week I can free up the money for the hair system in February without dipping into any reserves (I don't use credit cards anymore, and have a safety net for true emergencies).

I go to make the purchase, click on Add to Cart, and it says it was added, but my cart still shows zero items. I click on the cart and it says it is empty. So I go back to add it again, and the store says I can only have one of them in my cart.

Did all the standard Internet troubleshooting, clearing cookies, logging out, closing browser, switching browsers. Same thing every time. I can't add it again, but my cart says it is empty.

Waiting to hear from DAZ in response to the ticket I submitted to them.

Add some random other thing to your cart and that should make it show the items, then you can remove the random item and check out - at least, that usually works :)

edited December 1969

when you export the files as OBJ then import back to DS then you can export is as needed to your desired format as FBX
    so you are not limited at all . :)

Jowry said:
    From the sounds of it, the system is limited at this point to .obj export. I need to send my animated models textures animation from DAZ3D to 3DS Max 2011, as FBX files. I assume that this isn't a possibility right now - since FBX is becoming an open standard, is there any possibility you might add this at some point? Thanks. Product looks great, by the way!
  • KarthKarth Posts: 709
    edited December 1969

Mec4D said:
    Yes that is true, you can't export OBJ only from any copyrighted styles but only from your own styles , make sure you know what you do as it can turns quickly into millions of poly , the suggested subdivision is # 3 with around 7-10.000 hair strands for best files , other way you will get trouble in rigging or rendering , for using the hair for still render like in Reality it is ok to have higher values of hair , but still all you need is subdivision 3 , I even styled the exported hair in Zbrush after , working beautiful since the hair strands have more segments they bend so well . Exported OBJ can be distributed freely as long it is all your creation

Thanks for all the info Mec

• Alisa Uh-LisaAlisa Uh-Lisa Posts: 1,308
    edited February 2013

I enjoyed testing it - I'm going to have to wait till later to pick it up but wanted to say congrats that it's out - it's a great product!

edit - these aren't great but I thought I'd put up a few things I did with the betas

Genesis_with_Hair_base_02.jpg
    958 x 838 - 178K
    garabaldi_test13a.jpg
    958 x 838 - 252K
    garabaldi_test_1.jpg
    603 x 781 - 128K
    garibaldi_e.jpg
    813 x 839 - 194K
    Post edited by Alisa Uh-Lisa on
    edited December 1969

It would be heavy , look only 40K of hair strand take already 129K of poly at the lowest possible resolution , however the same would be 500K when created in Zbrush so still 3.5 times lower what is cool , in case of your fur here I would use displacement for the base and then finish it with the hair on top in lower density for the desire fur effect , since not much artists use geometries for creating fur so intensive for animated sets.. for still yes but not animated .

Bellow simple rigged test model as obj using Garibaldi for styling and export as obj, I did a lot more but have not the images under hand at this moment

Mec4D said:

One example. For hair this piece of leather, armor that I am creating. This is fantastic, beards, hair, clothes and decorations beyond what I imagined.

Would this not be too heavy?

garibaldi-obj-export.jpg
    863 x 857 - 148K
  • bytescapesbytescapes Posts: 1,799
    edited December 1969

JonnyRay said:
    ... I go to make the purchase, click on Add to Cart, and it says it was added, but my cart still shows zero items. I click on the cart and it says it is empty. So I go back to add it again, and the store says I can only have one of them in my cart.

I've noticed that the new cart can sometimes get squirrelly.

One thing I've found that sometimes works is to add a different item to your cart. That avoids the "there can be only one" error, and adding a second item sometimes forces the cart to straighten itself out.

Once the cart shows your previously-added item, you can remove the second item and check out.

• UHFUHF Posts: 512
    edited December 1969

Will this work with Reality for rendering?

Are their any examples of this? How are the textures (with reality) etc.