800 x 426 - 142K
  • BobvanBobvan Posts: 2,652
    edited December 1969
    8500604639_bdd208fb29_c.jpg
    800 x 426 - 116K
  • RogerbeeRogerbee Posts: 4,460
    edited December 1969

MadisonXF said:
    Here is a new version of the portrait I posted a page or two back. I changed the skin to Bree so that I can have a no-eyebrow option (wish that was standard with all skins!), upgraded to Interjection skin and eye shaders, copied the hair settings from Reby Elite hair, and pushed raytracing from 0 to 1,

Certainly an improvement, but I went from 10 minutes to 3 hours! Worth it? What do you think?

Still dull and a bit grainy, are you sure you set the quality of the UberEnvironment light to 4X, I find pressing ctrl and double clicking makes it work. Your occlusion should be 128, that should get rid of all the grain.

CHEERS!

edited February 2013

Great stuff Bob!

You might have noticed I've taken a slight break, I 'm making sure I can allow time to get everything I need done, which is something I haven't had this past couple of weeks.

CHEERS!

Post edited by Rogerbee on
  • Herald of FireHerald of Fire Posts: 3,504
    edited December 1969

I'm still trying to find good settings for realism. so I've been doing a ton of renders of the same person trying to get it looking right. I'm pretty much hitting a wall in the form of SSS maps which you really need to get the best look out of your figure. I might have to pick up DimensionTheory's Interjection, though it's not a catch-all solution for all the figures I use since it's lacking maps for K4 and M5, the former of which I use a fair bit.

Outside of 3Delight, I've been playing with Luxrender volumes a fair bit, though largely unsuccessfully. Having to manually input SSS settings is pretty tough since it requires a pretty solid knowledge of how light refracts and reflects on skin. Haven't found any settings which produce visible results yet. 3Delight still gives the better SSS so far.

Here's one I did recently without any maps. Still playing around with a lot of settings, so it's far from perfect, but I figure if I keep tweaking I'll get there eventually.

SSS.png
    800 x 800 - 684K
  • madisonx_c5746f56a5madisonx_c5746f56a5 Posts: 224
    edited December 1969

Rogerbee said:
    MadisonXF said:
    Here is a new version of the portrait I posted a page or two back. I changed the skin to Bree so that I can have a no-eyebrow option (wish that was standard with all skins!), upgraded to Interjection skin and eye shaders, copied the hair settings from Reby Elite hair, and pushed raytracing from 0 to 1,

Certainly an improvement, but I went from 10 minutes to 3 hours! Worth it? What do you think?

Still dull and a bit grainy, are you sure you set the quality of the UberEnvironment light to 4X, I find pressing ctrl and double clicking makes it work. Your occlusion should be 128, that should get rid of all the grain.

CHEERS!

Hm, I checked and the light occlusion is at 128. I reloaded the lights, in this case Lantios Core Lights, and set it to 4X. I also upped raytracing from 1 to 2.

Took off the hair for a quick render.

Any better?

Portrait_test_02.jpg
    550 x 400 - 143K
    edited December 1969

Not particularly,

List your full render settings for us and we'll see if there's anything missing. Something must be otherwise her skin would look like my renders which were done with Lantios Portrait Lights.

CHEERS!

edited December 1969

I'm still trying to find good settings for realism. so I've been doing a ton of renders of the same person trying to get it looking right. I'm pretty much hitting a wall in the form of SSS maps which you really need to get the best look out of your figure. I might have to pick up DimensionTheory's Interjection, though it's not a catch-all solution for all the figures I use since it's lacking maps for K4 and M5, the former of which I use a fair bit.

Outside of 3Delight, I've been playing with Luxrender volumes a fair bit, though largely unsuccessfully. Having to manually input SSS settings is pretty tough since it requires a pretty solid knowledge of how light refracts and reflects on skin. Haven't found any settings which produce visible results yet. 3Delight still gives the better SSS so far.

Here's one I did recently without any maps. Still playing around with a lot of settings, so it's far from perfect, but I figure if I keep tweaking I'll get there eventually.

Looks good for a doll. There must be some tutorials for Reality around, it's not something I use so I wouldn't know what to suggest.

CHEERS!

• Herald of FireHerald of Fire Posts: 3,504
    edited December 1969

Rogerbee said:

Looks good for a doll. There must be some tutorials for Reality around, it's not something I use so I wouldn't know what to suggest.

CHEERS!
    Reality doesn't actually support subsurface scatter, so it has to be added in manually. Unfortunately, it's a pain in the butt to do and I'm not even sure if the meshes are capable of supporting Lux volumes properly. Never mind the actual settings. Skin settings are going to be included with Reality 3, but that's a good few months away.

There have been lots of talks on the Lux forums about using volumes, but all the talks go way over my head talking about calculating the exact sigma values required. In short, I've never really gotten realistic settings out of Lux yet, and volumes just don't seem to do much for me at the moment.

edited December 1969

Hmm,

I think I'll stick with 3Delight, I know where I am with it, just!

CHEERS!

edited February 2013

Hmm,

I think I'll stick with 3Delight, I know where I am with it, just!

CHEERS!

Few things with using 3Dlight. My system is more or less tied up for the time it renders. and you cannot queue render. As you know I have no problems pumping moocho quality renders using Lux. It also allows me to do my RL stuff while renders bake away...Speaking of which....grab

8504470364_fbc1f4dd79_c.jpg
    800 x 426 - 99K
    Post edited by Bobvan on
    edited December 1969
    800 x 426 - 96K
    edited December 1969
    800 x 426 - 175K
    edited December 1969

Yeah, well, if you crank 'em out at the rate you do you're going to want something that'll handle it. PP2012 has a Queue Manager.

I'm happy just being able to render at all.

CHEERS!

edited February 2013

All with my year and half old i7 8G what bugs me about 3Dlight is it never seem to improve. UE still looks like it did with DS3A to me

Post edited by Bobvan on
    edited December 1969

Mine is over a year old and is an i5 6gb. I have a dedicated card (running alongside an integrated) which I largely dedicate to DS and I find 3Delight is a load better than I thought, particularly with UE and the HSS.

CHEERS!

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,515
    edited December 1969

Rogerbee said:

Yeah, well, if you crank 'em out at the rate you do you're going to want something that'll handle it. PP2012 has a Queue Manager.

I'm happy just being able to render at all.

CHEERS!

...I even use the Queue Manager when doing a single render as it performs the task in background taking less resources than with the application running.
    edited December 1969

Rogerbee said:

Mine is over a year old and is an i5 6gb. I have a dedicated card (running alongside an integrated) which I largely dedicate to DS and I find 3Delight is a load better than I thought, particularly with UE and the HSS.

CHEERS!

I guess if one is discovering UE & 3Dlight I can see it I find lux easier.

edited February 2013

Rogerbee said:

Not particularly,

List your full render settings for us and we'll see if there's anything missing. Something must be otherwise her skin would look like my renders which were done with Lantios Portrait Lights.

CHEERS!

Wow, maybe I'm just missing something really obvious and silly then.

Thanks for all the continued support and inspiration - you guys are awesome.

Here are the render settings I used in the last image, and some of the light settings on the UE - including the Occlusion.

Light.png
    429 x 694 - 44K
    Settings.png
    498 x 742 - 50K
    Post edited by madisonx_c5746f56a5 on
    edited February 2013

Same here dual vid card system with software switcher with my 2G ATI 6770M vid card

Post edited by Bobvan on
    edited December 1969

MadisonXF said:
    Rogerbee said:

Not particularly,

CHEERS!

Wow, maybe I'm just missing something really obvious and silly then.

Thanks for all the continued support and inspiration - you guys are awesome.

Here are the render settings I used in the last image, and some of the light settings on the UE - including the Occlusion.

Those seem ok to me, anyone else got any suggestions!?

CHEERS!

edited December 1969

Rogerbee said:
    Those seem ok to me, anyone else got any suggestions!?

CHEERS!

Hm, weird.

Definetly curious if anyone else has any ideas. It wouldn't have anything to do with the resolution or any other settings, would it? Or maybe because I am using the Interjection shaders? These are my first renders with those.

Regardless, I still think the most recent renders look much better than my previous ones. I am learning as I go, thanks to all the help here on the forums, so thanks.

If I have time later this week, I might try to throw together a few more test renders to see if I end up with different results.

edited December 1969

That's a possibility,

I've never used those shaders myself. Try the just using the HSS.

CHEERS!

edited December 1969

One other thing, I was just re-reading adamr001's great tutorial, when I noticed one thing that I may have missed. I have the overall render shading rate setting at .2, which seems fine. However, I have never touched the shading rate on the actual UE, which he recommends fiddling with. I can't check it until later, but maybe that is part of the problem...

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/5320/P30/#67989

Rogerbee said:

That's a possibility,

I've never used those shaders myself. Try the just using the HSS.

CHEERS!

I'll give that a try ASAP. I had been using the HSS previously.

edited February 2013

Ahh, yeah,

That might have a bearing. I just use presets and went with whatever they were.

CHEERS!

Post edited by Rogerbee on
  • edited February 2013

Here's My attempt. How I would like to see the law.....10 hours to build and all done in DS3. :D

copper_8.jpg
    1216 x 1131 - 764K
    copper_6.jpg
    800 x 1501 - 661K
    Post edited by sneakygloworm_fbf110dfc9 on
    edited December 1969

I like the reflections, DOF, and little touches like the nose piercing. Nice work.

• edited December 1969

Many thanks. I actually use the nose piercing as a reference point for reflections. I copy and paste the reflection map from it (which I initially saved as a character) to use in other reflective surfuces in a scene. So if the scene has any reflections, my figure will have a nose peircing. :D

edited February 2013

Ok, here is a new render, only change was taking the UE Shading Rate from 8 to .2. This didn't really add much to the render time.

I think the character looks a bit sharper here.

Portrait_Test_03.jpg
    550 x 400 - 131K
    Portrait_test_02.jpg
    550 x 400 - 143K
    Post edited by madisonx_c5746f56a5 on
This discussion has been closed.