Morphs from G3 to G8

Comments

• Singular BluesSingular Blues Posts: 737
    edited June 2017

Yeah. You need a 3d modeling program.

Sorry, but you do. EIther you manually fix the morph or litterally rip the eyes out of both the source and the target and take the eyes apart, making sure they line up between figures.

I thought about making couple of morphs to do it. but that would complicate things even further.

Also, G8's eyes are smaller than G3's due to the magic of sub division. The difference is hard to see as normal scale, but when you get toon eyes, it becomes apparent. Try scaling the eyeballs up to hide the worst of the distortion to the lid. It may be that they are just too small

Post edited by Singular Blues on
  • Cayman StudiosCayman Studios Posts: 1,131
    Llynara said:

Legacy UVs isn't going to work.

UV definitions are geometry specific. What Cayman did was create a whole new set of UVs for G3F. Because of the difference between G3's material zones and those of the previous generations, G3 can't use older textures "out of the box," as it were. So, in addition to the new UV layout, Cayman made geografts to handle the the different material zones.

To make it work on G8 you need to convert the geografts to G8, graft them, and then create a new UV layout for G8.

Even doing all that, there are still a bunch of bells and whistles built into the Legacy UVs products that mean the conversion probably won't have the same utility. I doubt there's a way around that unless you're a whiz at Dazscript.

Since the UV's are close, I thought it was worth a shot. I love the Legacy UV products and do hope Cayman makes versions for G8 at some point in the near future. I use those products a lot. 

I have done the Legacy UVs for Genesis 8 conversions for Genesis 2 Female Base and the Victorias (4-6).  I'll post something in the Commercial thread nearer to release.

• L'AdairL'Adair Posts: 9,479
    Llynara said:

UV definitions are geometry specific. What Cayman did was create a whole new set of UVs for G3F. Because of the difference between G3's material zones and those of the previous generations, G3 can't use older textures "out of the box," as it were. So, in addition to the new UV layout, Cayman made geografts to handle the the different material zones.

To make it work on G8 you need to convert the geografts to G8, graft them, and then create a new UV layout for G8.

Even doing all that, there are still a bunch of bells and whistles built into the Legacy UVs products that mean the conversion probably won't have the same utility. I doubt there's a way around that unless you're a whiz at Dazscript.

Since the UV's are close, I thought it was worth a shot. I love the Legacy UV products and do hope Cayman makes versions for G8 at some point in the near future. I use those products a lot. 

I have done the Legacy UVs for Genesis 8 conversions for Genesis 2 Female Base and the Victorias (4-6).  I'll post something in the Commercial thread nearer to release.

That's really good news! Thank you.

• PhilWPhilW Posts: 5,139

Thanks again to Redz for the morph transfer method - here is a render of DT-Eve applied to G8F (and using V8 textures).

• LlynaraLlynara Posts: 4,770
    edited June 2017
    Llynara said:

Thank you, Cayman! That's wonderful news!

@PhilW - She looks beautiful!

Post edited by Llynara on
    edited June 2017

Here's my final G8 Gwennii using Redz' first tutorial, not the revised one. Everything looks good on her. My next render will be with the newer tutorial.

Notes:

• I followed divamakeup's tip to increase the normal maps to 2 in order to get a little more detail on the skin. The bump maps were already at 2.
    • I used the free lobe shader script on the skin (there's an update for it, so if you have it, check and make sure you are using the current one.)
    • I could not get any bow and arrow to pose right in her hand, so everything had to be positioned manually. Took forever. This one is from Midnight Huntress for G2F, which does come with poses for G2F. I haven't tried converting those yet.
    • This is a tweaked Artemis pose for V7 using the free script to adjust G3F poses to G8F (there's an update for this one too.) I worked on this before I got Bone Doctor. Will be interesting to see what that product does on the more difficult poses.
    • The outfit is a combo of Midnight Huntress and Hunter Queen for G3F. Both of them have fitting issues. The boots on Hunter Queen don't fit right and the bodice on Midnight Huntress looked odd with this pose, so I just mixed them together.
    • The hair is Milen Hair for G2.
    • I gave her elf ears from the G8 head morph kit.
    • Redid her glowing eyes to match the colors in the scene. I just changed the emission color and temperature or the irises.
    • Set is Thieves Alley, which says it's optimized for Iray, but I'm finding parts of it look very low res in closeups. DOF and lighting helps hide some of it.
    • I'm really not sure I'm digging the fog or the background. Might redo it with a different set. 

G8-Gwennili5.jpg
    2262 x 1548 - 223K

Very cool render and thanks for sharing the link for the free lobe shader script.

• ALLIEKATBLUEALLIEKATBLUE Posts: 2,959
    edited June 2017

Here are some I did late last night the first is Ottilia my Mousso.

The second one is PD Ayako which is a V4 that I converted to G3, I can't remember whose skin I put on her.

The last one is Sheila by Anagord.

I find that the G3 Skin looks rather orangey and the final renders look grainy and have some speckles no matter how long it renders.  I am not satisfied how the new version of Daz handles the previous G3 material.  I tried to render Kori a black character and her skin was beyond fugly.  I finally have been able to get the iray lights and tweeks for Black skin and now this version... So now we have to wait for PA to come out with shaders to handle the G3 skins.  I wish that when Daz comes out with an updated version and new shader bells and whistles that the "fix" for the old shaders was incorporated without having to buy new products. Or maybe it is I just don't know about it.

otillia-g8-min_full.png
    982 x 921 - 448K
    P3D Ayako G8.png
    982 x 921 - 611K
    Sheila G8.png
    982 x 921 - 526K
    Post edited by ALLIEKATBLUE on
    edited June 2017

Thanks, Phil! 

Allie, have you tried the free lobe shader script? https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/176756/script-apply-dual-lobe-features-to-pre-lobe-g3-skins#latest

I'm finding it does a very good job on G3F skins. Haven't tried it on older models yet. There seems to be speckles occasionally with certain light set ups, but for the most part it works well. 

Keep in mind that Anagenessis 3 is in the pipeline and I'm sure it'll take advantage of the new Iray skin settings. I'm very excited by what DimensionZ has been posting on his DeviantArt account (though be warned, there's a lot of nudity and genital pics there since it's about skin.)

EDIT: Here's a very good video walkthrough of the new dual lobe specular settings. They are part of the Iray shader updates, so they can be used on anything that has been given the Iray Uber base, including older figures: 

@Alliekatblue  Great work!

• OdaaOdaa Posts: 1,548
    edited June 2017

Argh, can anyone remind me how to remove parts of a body from a morph?

I'm trying to bring over some facial morphs and for some reason it insists on adjusting the shoulders and hips (badly)

Also the belly button! I have only a few FaceGen morphs and nothing else I'd like to transfer. I'll buy what I want when I need it for G8 when it's available and needed.

How can I transfer just a FaceGen morph and absolutely not affect the  navel or the rest of the body?

I don't have a link right here, but I used Sickleyield's morph transfer tutorial for my facegen stuff, and Redz for the full body characters.

Post edited by Odaa on
    Llynara said:

Thanks, Phil! 

Allie, have you tried the free lobe shader script? https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/176756/script-apply-dual-lobe-features-to-pre-lobe-g3-skins#latest

I'm finding it does a very good job on G3F skins. Haven't tried it on older models yet. There seems to be speckles occasionally with certain light set ups, but for the most part it works well. 

Keep in mind that Anagenessis 3 is in the pipeline and I'm sure it'll take advantage of the new Iray skin settings. I'm very excited by what DimensionZ has been posting on his DeviantArt account (though be warned, there's a lot of nudity and genital pics there since it's about skin.)

EDIT: Here's a very good video walkthrough of the new dual lobe specular settings. They are part of the Iray shader updates, so they can be used on anything that has been given the Iray Uber base, including older figures: 

Yes I do have that script, I used it on the 3 renders above. I didn't know there was a tutorial thanks for the link.

PhilW said:

@Alliekatblue  Great work!

Thanks Phil

While I'm breaking my arm (to quote noted pilospher James Tiberius Kirk) patting myself on the back for my ingeniuity, I actually have figured out, and tested, a method for bring over morphs with ERC intact, but it is (to borrow a term from the world of Games Workshop) beardy.

As in super beard.

Basically You copy the dsf files from G3, with their folder structure intact (you don't need to go higer than the vendor folder, but you need the rest or it gets that much more dificult).

You then use mass file editing to replace all references to Genesis 3 with Genesis 8 (Genesis3 becomes Genesis8 and Genesis%203 becomes Genesis%208). I use a program called FAR (Find And Replace, iirc) to do this. This requires renaming all the dsf files as txt because FAR won't edit anything it isn't sure is an ASCII file. For compressed dsfs this means uncompressing them first. Of course, they have to re-renamed to dsf once the edits are done.

Now copy those folders into Genesis 8's folder.

At this point, you proceed as above, but when you get to bit about transfering morphs, make sure "overwite existing" is checked. Also (and this important) at no point should you touch the sliders of the copied morph beofre doing the transfer. Bad things may happen. Until you do the transfer, the morph values are pointed at the wrong vetex order and in the wrong direction.

When TU overwites an existing morph, it does not change that morph's ERC links.

Things then proceed as they would above except if you choose the export and then import via morph loader method, you need to name the export file with the internal name of the morph, and then, when you morph load it, make sure Overwrite Existing is changed from Make Unique to Deltas Only.

This will overwrite the bad vertex ordered morph with the correct order.

Told you it was beardy.

Wow this sounds scary.  Is ths method instead of the "Redz method" or an addition to it?  If additional, where does this fit into the "Redz method".  Also, does this help fix the crazy hands that happens with some transfers?  I have converted about 30 characters and I'm finding some hit and misses with the hands screwing up. BTW thanks for all the work everyone.

Llynara said:

Yipeeeee!!!!

• WonderlandWonderland Posts: 6,697
    edited June 2017

Here are some I did late last night the first is Ottilia my Mousso.

The second one is PD Ayako which is a V4 that I converted to G3, I can't remember whose skin I put on her.

The last one is Sheila by Anagord.

I find that the G3 Skin looks rather orangey and the final renders look grainy and have some speckles no matter how long it renders.  I am not satisfied how the new version of Daz handles the previous G3 material.  I tried to render Kori a black character and her skin was beyond fugly.  I finally have been able to get the iray lights and tweeks for Black skin and now this version... So now we have to wait for PA to come out with shaders to handle the G3 skins.  I wish that when Daz comes out with an updated version and new shader bells and whistles that the "fix" for the old shaders was incorporated without having to buy new products. Or maybe it is I just don't know about it.

Wow, those are awesome!!!! I especially love the first one! I googled Ottilia by Mousso (and saw it in another store wink) but you made her look so much better!  And what hair is that? I would definitely buy that character for G8 if it existed as you created it! 

Wait, edited to add, there is something weird with the top of her right shoulder where the stap hits it, not sure if that is a problem with the pose or G8, but that could be fixed in post or repositioned, she's still gorgeous! 

IMG_4078.PNG
    982 x 921 - 1M
    Post edited by Wonderland on

Wow, those are awesome!!!! I especially love the first one! I googled Ottilia by Mousso (and saw it in another store wink) but you made her look so much better!  And what hair is that? I would definitely buy that character for G8 if it existed as you created it! 

Wait, edited to add, there is something weird with the top of her right shoulder where the stap hits it, not sure if that is a problem with the pose or G8, but that could be fixed in post or repositioned, she's still gorgeous! 

It's this hair https://www.daz3d.com/simple-elegance-hair-for-genesis-3-female-s. Yeah, something definetly goes wonky with the poses.  I think her shoulder is probably twisted all the way around like some double jointed gumby or sumthing but  I thought the hair would hide it, Eagle eyes!

@Wonderland, I feel you on your posts. Not really overly in love with V8 like I was with V7. For me, it's really about what I can create from the G8 base and the morphs from converted characters that matters moreright now.  I have invested a great deal of money, like we all have, on G2 and G3 content so pretty glad that things are for the most part compatible. Hoping that I can perfect the conversion of my characters like GenX did because I really can't see myself getting a whole bunch of G8 people, I may stick with the base characters as they come out.  I haven't even truly commited to the updated Daz only the Beta because I really don't care for how the G3 skin looks in Daz 4.9 or whaterver it is.  So for now, just going to play around with the base and the morphs until she grows on me. 

• WonderlandWonderland Posts: 6,697

It's this hair https://www.daz3d.com/simple-elegance-hair-for-genesis-3-female-s. Yeah, something definetly goes wonky with the poses.  I think her shoulder is probably twisted all the way around like some double jointed gumby or sumthing but  I thought the hair would hide it, Eagle eyes!

Oh, cool, I actually have that hair, wasn't sure! But, if I remember correctly, it took a looong time to render, especially with CPU only.

Did you try the freebie pose fixer for G8 that is here in freebies?

Oh, cool, I actually have that hair, wasn't sure! But, if I remember correctly, it took a looong time to render, especially with CPU only.

Did you try the freebie pose fixer for G8 that is here in freebies?

Yes but some charcters come out good while others not.  One squating pose looked so bizzare, the eyes came bulging out, the teeth looked all terrible, the fingers wraped around the body.  It really was scary since I was up late and Iive in the Poconos so it was extra dark and quiet, really creepy so I kinda convert the pose then put my hands over my eyes and peak through my fingers to see what it looks like. Not really but it was almost as scarey as that.

• Redz, is there anyway you could make 'G3F to G8F Morph Transfer' for G2F? I have a lot of excellent content but it's G2F.

• Rod Wise DriggoRod Wise Driggo Posts: 2,144

Maybe you'll have a look at GenX2? That's a very nifty tool for (batch) transferring over morphs from back to v3 to G3F. From that you can use Redz method to continue.

• RedzRedz Posts: 1,459
    edited June 2017

Redz, is there anyway you could make 'G3F to G8F Morph Transfer' for G2F? I have a lot of excellent content but it's G2F.

Are you looking to port over individual morphs or cusstom characters made with multiple dials?

For individual morphs I suggest you try the transfer utility method as shown in this thread, just substitute Genesis 2 wherever it mentions Genesis 3.

However, once you have transferred your morphs you need to follow the last part of my tutorial about editing the rigging to shape, ERC freeze and saving the morphs.

I've tried a few morphs and they port over well, though some more extreme ones may not.

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/177246/basic-tutorial-for-transferring-genesis3-female-morphs-to-genesis8-female

Post edited by Redz on
  • While I'm breaking my arm (to quote noted pilospher James Tiberius Kirk) patting myself on the back for my ingeniuity, I actually have figured out, and tested, a method for bring over morphs with ERC intact, but it is (to borrow a term from the world of Games Workshop) beardy.

As in super beard.

Basically You copy the dsf files from G3, with their folder structure intact (you don't need to go higer than the vendor folder, but you need the rest or it gets that much more dificult).

You then use mass file editing to replace all references to Genesis 3 with Genesis 8 (Genesis3 becomes Genesis8 and Genesis%203 becomes Genesis%208). I use a program called FAR (Find And Replace, iirc) to do this. This requires renaming all the dsf files as txt because FAR won't edit anything it isn't sure is an ASCII file. For compressed dsfs this means uncompressing them first. Of course, they have to re-renamed to dsf once the edits are done.

At this point, you proceed as above, but when you get to bit about transfering morphs, make sure "overwite existing" is checked. Also (and this important) at no point should you touch the sliders of the copied morph beofre doing the transfer. Bad things may happen. Until you do the transfer, the morph values are pointed at the wrong vetex order and in the wrong direction.

Things then proceed as they would above except if you choose the export and then import via morph loader method, you need to name the export file with the internal name of the morph, and then, when you morph load it, make sure Overwrite Existing is changed from Make Unique to Deltas Only.

Told you it was beardy.

Wow this sounds scary.  Is ths method instead of the "Redz method" or an addition to it?  If additional, where does this fit into the "Redz method".  Also, does this help fix the crazy hands that happens with some transfers?  I have converted about 30 characters and I'm finding some hit and misses with the hands screwing up. BTW thanks for all the work everyone.

This would be something different from Redz's method. As for fitting it in, with Redz method, rather than dialing up a character, you would use tranfer utility. First you'd copy the DSFs to G8. Then you'd edit them  so that they referenced G8 instead of G3 (as noted above) You'd mark the morph controller as favorite in G3, then use TU with Morphs checked and "favorites and subcomponent's selected. Then you'd dial each individual morph into the target mesh, one at a time and export them. They need to have the same names as the original morphs. And so and so forth. But it's still really complex, so not for the faint of heart. I mean, I've done the proof of concept but still haven't actually done more than that. It'll be a big effort, and probably still need a bit of tweaking. You also have to be careful to be sure none of the copied morphs have the same names as morphs already on G8 It would not fix any issue with hands, however. For that, you need to go back to my first post (bottom of page 3) and create a clone. 

This bit of madness is something else entirely. It's a method for retaining ERC links. Beyond that, it's not going to effect the quality of a transfer at all.

Redz, is there anyway you could make 'G3F to G8F Morph Transfer' for G2F? I have a lot of excellent content but it's G2F.

I'm not sure this is possible.  You would definitely need a clone to make this work. Redz current method exploits the fact that G8 and G3 have the same geometry, largely. But minor differences between the two lead to little problems like the wonky hands and such. This iss would get worse with G2 because G2 and G8 don't have the same mesh. They don't even have the topology. The only way to get a good transfer would be through clones.

Way back, when Kattey first proved out this method, that was how it was done and still there were issues because Autofit clones don't need to be exact, Just kinda close. (I made a G3 Clone of Cookie. I know where of I speak.) But G8's clones don't work like G2's. They're useless for this kind of thing, as far as I know.

The short for of this long answer is "Because Clones, no one can make a sharable file. (At least as far as I know.) So there's no good way to make a high fidelity transfer between G2 and G8. For low fi, maybe, but expect distortion if it works at all."

While I'm breaking my arm (to quote noted pilospher James Tiberius Kirk) patting myself on the back for my ingeniuity, I actually have figured out, and tested, a method for bring over morphs with ERC intact, but it is (to borrow a term from the world of Games Workshop) beardy.

As in super beard.

Told you it was beardy.

This would be something different from Redz's method. As for fitting it in, with Redz method, rather than dialing up a character, you would use tranfer utility. First you'd copy the DSFs to G8. Then you'd edit them  so that they referenced G8 instead of G3 (as noted above) You'd mark the morph controller as favorite in G3, then use TU with Morphs checked and "favorites and subcomponent's selected. Then you'd dial each individual morph into the target mesh, one at a time and export them. They need to have the same names as the original morphs. And so and so forth. But it's still really complex, so not for the faint of heart. I mean, I've done the proof of concept but still haven't actually done more than that. It'll be a big effort, and probably still need a bit of tweaking. You also have to be careful to be sure none of the copied morphs have the same names as morphs already on G8 It would not fix any issue with hands, however. For that, you need to go back to my first post (bottom of page 3) and create a clone. 

This bit of madness is something else entirely. It's a method for retaining ERC links. Beyond that, it's not going to effect the quality of a transfer at all.

I'm not sure this is possible.  You would definitely need a clone to make this work. Redz current method exploits the fact that G8 and G3 have the same geometry, largely. But minor differences between the two lead to little problems like the wonky hands and such. This iss would get worse with G2 because G2 and G8 don't have the same mesh. They don't even have the topology. The only way to get a good transfer would be through clones.

Way back, when Kattey first proved out this method, that was how it was done and still there were issues because Autofit clones don't need to be exact, Just kinda close. (I made a G3 Clone of Cookie. I know where of I speak.) But G8's clones don't work like G2's. They're useless for this kind of thing, as far as I know.

The short for of this long answer is "Because Clones, no one can make a sharable file. (At least as far as I know.) So there's no good way to make a high fidelity transfer between G2 and G8. For low fi, maybe, but expect distortion if it works at all."

I used your fit-to method to make a near perfect G8F clone for Genesis. The transfer utility method works better once you check near vertices and set that to 1000. The previos arm distortion is gone.

edited June 2017
    Redz said:

Are you looking to port over individual morphs or cusstom characters made with multiple dials?

For individual morphs I suggest you try the transfer utility method as shown in this thread, just substitute Genesis 2 wherever it mentions Genesis 3.

However, once you have transferred your morphs you need to follow the last part of my tutorial about editing the rigging to shape, ERC freeze and saving the morphs.

I've tried a few morphs and they port over well, though some more extreme ones may not.

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/177246/basic-tutorial-for-transferring-genesis3-female-morphs-to-genesis8-female

These are the settings to use on the transfer utility. It's genesis here but also works for Genesis 2 and her clone

settings.png
    489 x 653 - 45K
    Post edited by Redz on

Maybe we need some new threads to do G2 to G8 and Genesis to G8. I'm willing to try it if others are.

• Singular BluesSingular Blues Posts: 737
    edited June 2017

I should add here, having looked at the thread Redz mentioned, the reason why the user there is having trouble with saved morphs is because Transfer Utility creates a new figure out of the target when you run it.

In the case of existing figures, they become "umoored" from their parent files. Not totally, but enough. Daz still knows to save the morphs in the right figure folder, but it  doesn't seem to write the references correctly. I'm using 4.9.4.117

Anyway, in my epxerience, the saved morphs don't load at all. The log file says their parent could not be found. Looking into the file, I find an ID reference, but no file path. Morphs need the relative path to the DSF file of their parent to load. Starting with the data folder. So something like /data/Daz%203D/Genesis%208/Female/Genesis8Female.dsf#Genesis8Female or /data/Daz%203D/Genesis%208/Female/Genesis8Female.dsf#geometry

Files saved driectly after using transfer utility tend to simply say #Genesis8Female or #geometry, and that's where the issue kicks in.

Post edited by Singular Blues on

I should add here, having looked at the thread Redz mentioned, the reason why the user there is having trouble with saved morphs is because Transfer Utility creates a new figure out of the target when you run it.

In the case of existing figures, they become "umoored" from their parent files. Not totally, but enough. Daz still knows to save the morphs in the right figure folder, but it  doesn't seem to write the references correctly. I'm using 4.9.4.117

Anyway, in my epxerience, the saved morphs don't load at all. The log file says their parent could not be found. Looking into the file, I find an ID reference, but no file path. Morphs need the relative path to the DSF file of their parent to load. Starting with the data folder. So something like /data/Daz%203D/Genesis%208/Female/Genesis8Female.dsf#Genesis8Female or /data/Daz%203D/Genesis%208/Female/Genesis8Female.dsf#geometry

Files saved driectly after using transfer utility tend to simply say #Genesis8Female or #geometry, and that's where the issue kicks in.

I think the trick is to only select morphs for transfer, not the weight maps etc.

having said that, I just tested a few extreme  Rawart Genesis characters and the transfer utility method was nowhere near as good as making a clone and manually porting. 

I'm willing to write up a tutorial for the clones if there is demand. 

Please do if you have the time and inclination. I'm more than happy to help test. I have and use characters from Gen 3 upwards, so bring it on, LOL