Novica & Forum Members Tips & Product Reviews Pt 9

Comments

• BlueIreneBlueIrene Posts: 1,318
    jakiblue said:

I am absolutely DYING of laughter here! I picked up Dreamlight's Iray Presets for DS Enchanted Forest in the iray sale cos it was only $2.33 and being as lazy as I am, I like it when the lighting is done for me *grin*. Loaded one of the "environments", the Sunny one actually, and while it also loads stonemason's Enchanted forest (which is cool) and a bunch of cameras (which is awesome), it changes your 'dimension presets' IE your render size to 500x281 pixels!!!!! Talk about a heart stopping moment - I was all "WTF is happening to my DS???" and then I looked and realized what had happened. I suspect the dimension presets were accidently saved when he saved the render settings (IE sun-sky only, etc). What gets me is that this is NOT a new product, it's been out for ages. So either no-one has put a ticket in....or there are LOTS of tickets in and they have fallen by the wayside. While I'm laughing my head off at the heart stopping moment of having this tiny render start, I'm also incredibly annoyed that this has NOT BEEN FIXED at any stage! Still, it's an easy fix to change the render size...but it's not something a customer should have do. 

That reminded me of a 'how was that not noticed?' moment I had when loading the washing machine years ago and found a clothes peg attached to the bottom of one of my ex-husband's work shirts. The shirt had obviously been pulled from the washing line in a hurry the last time it was pegged out, but the grime on the collar etc indicated that it had clearly been worn since then. With a clothes peg clinging to the bottom of it :)

I hope your son and your mum are doing better, Novica. I haven't downloaded today's surprise new version of Studio yet, but I have got the old one if it all goes horribly wrong as I took your advice yesterday and downloaded the files - just in the nick of time :) Thanks for the reminder!

• Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,560
    edited June 2017

I still wish for more product detail on new sets. I seriously need to know if walls floors and ceilings can be hidden. I have to wait  now to find out from people who own these sets the basic information. And yes, I know I can use the section tool but I don't like to. I find it cumbersome.

I'm concerned about the new updated DAZ studio. Is it true DIM is going away? I use that exclusively to install content. 

Post edited by Serene Night on
  • IceDragonArtIceDragonArt Posts: 12,548

As far as I know they have no plans to get rid of DIM anything in the near future.  Its all I use to install content from Daz as well.  If they get rid of it I will end up doing all manual installs as I have zero desire to use Smart Content.

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,147

I still wish for more product detail on new sets. I seriously need to know if walls floors and ceilings can be hidden. I have to wait  now to find out from people who own these sets the basic information. And yes, I know I can use the section tool but I don't like to. I find it cumbersome.

I'm concerned about the new updated DAZ studio. Is it true DIM is going away? I use that exclusively to install content. 

Where did you hear thatr DIM was going away?

barbult said:

In this thread first page https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/175021/ds-4-9-4/p1

barbult said:

In this thread first page https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/175021/ds-4-9-4/p1

All I see there is a question from someone who seems confused by the availability of Daz Connect. The questioner seems to be new. I don't see anything that can even be imagined to be any kind of official statement about DIM going away. Did I still miss something?

No that's it really. winkI'm actually a bit  tired of the small version updates. Time to rollout 5 already

What is magic about the number 5? Has Daz stated that some feature will arrive in version 5? Is that when we are supposed to get the QT interface update to handle large monitors better?

edited June 2017

Usually full versions implement major software change and small versions are just fixes and updates. 

• L'AdairL'Adair Posts: 9,479

No that's it really. winkI'm actually a bit  tired of the small version updates. Time to rollout 5 already

No such luck. The current Private Build is 4.10... (link)

Usually full versions implement major software change and small versions are just fixes and updates. 

Gotcha. Thanks.

L'Adair said:

Several things of Khory's are in the Iray portion of the sale. I picked up her Decorator Kit: Neutral Shader Presets for Iray, finally. I also bought sf-design's new glass shaders. It was really nice of DAZ to release them on a day with a big discount. And if you've been thinking about getting his water shaders, Easy Liquid - Custom Liquid Shader and Presets for Iray, the discount for featured artist and feature Iray product is stacking. Not sure if that's intentional, but I paid less than $5. (Finally picked up Nikolas and The Bathroom, too. I've got about $50 left for the rest of June!)

Render more, spend less... Render more, spend less... Render more, spend less...

I see the Easy Liquid product is no longer in the Iray featured items at 49% off. I'm guessing sf-design didn't know his glass shader product would be released the same day when he approved his Iray products being part of today's sale.

Novica said:
    If you want to post your images in a thread and not have them clunkily attached below your post, here's where you can post them!! (Note one problem with that- you won't be able to get the name of your original image by clicking on it, it's mumblymuck code. But you can always download it and rename it.)

I've been wanting to experiment with the Private setting for a gallery for a long time. Today I tried it. All the images in this post in the Hidden Treasure thread are in my new Post Attachments sub-gallery. But with it set to private, you can't find it if you go to my root gallery. However, I can use the various size images from those pages in my posts. And my filenames retain their original names. Just thought you guys might want to know.

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565

They won't increment the version number to 5 unless the SDK changes and the earlier SDK is incompatible, e.g. when they update QT.  But they haven't changed the minimum compatible SDK since 4.5, and there've been lots of big improvements since then.  Unless you're waiting on improvements that depend on a QT update (such as fully handling 4K displays) I wouldn't assume they require a version 5.

• NovicaNovica Posts: 23,859
    edited June 2017

Today is one of the rare times when I am confused by sales. Some Iray things discount further, others don't. Richard had the promo changed to say "some" or whatever (I haven't looked, just going by what he said) but how are we supposed to know if they're not separated? 

Some vendors are stacking, others aren't. This is a PIT(hiney, substituting for the last word to keep it family friendly, LOL)  Then, as mentioned, some things are being pulled. I've got things in my cart that aren't discounting, other things start at big discounts, it's ridiculous.

Cheap things I can point out- 
    https://www.daz3d.com/wet-body-iray-bundle-for-genesis-3-2-female-s
    https://www.daz3d.com/human-essentials-for-iray   (look at gallery images.) 
    https://www.daz3d.com/iray-presets-for-ds-enchanted-forest         (already mentioned) 

Post edited by Novica on

This one has lights and fog, and can be used on other sets.      https://www.daz3d.com/iray-hybrid-lights-fog-for-abandoned-city-2

LOL, I just saw an ad. A Boxer dog (sitting at the front door) has a huge plastic pink flamingo yard ornament in his mouth. The caption? "Whatever your dog brings home, it shouldn't be flea and ticks." 

Gotta love it.

edited June 2017

Update: They turned off the pump to my son's lung to see if it would stay inflated (the xray's showed it was.) Overnight (and a lot of pain, then pain reduced) and another xray. The lung had collapsed and the hole enlarged. Pump back on, and he went an hour away via ambulance to another hospital with great thoracic surgeon. Will have surgery tomorrow or the next day, they must attach lung to chest wall (they roughen the wall so the lung will "stick" better too.Ouch.) and close the hole. They did this 4 years ago to the other lung, and it is fine, so after this, chances are good it will "take" and he wont have any more problems. So bad news/good news- if they had sent him home without doing anything, we would always wonder when the next episode would happen, and every time, they have to insert a tube into your chest and it's painful. This way, they're fixing the problem.

Edit: Literally found out five seconds ago, surgery is tomorrow, don't know what time.

Post edited by Novica on
  • fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    Novica said:

Update: They turned off the pump to my son's lung to see if it would stay inflated (the xray's showed it was.) Overnight (and a lot of pain, then pain reduced) and another xray. The lung had collapsed and the hole enlarged. Pump back on, and he went an hour away via ambulance to another hospital with great thoracic surgeon. Will have surgery tomorrow or the next day, they must attach lung to chest wall (they roughen the wall so the lung will "stick" better too.Ouch.) and close the hole. They did this 4 years ago to the other lung, and it is fine, so after this, chances are good it will "take" and he wont have any more problems. So bad news/good news- if they had sent him home without doing anything, we would always wonder when the next episode would happen, and every time, they have to insert a tube into your chest and it's painful. This way, they're fixing the problem.

Edit: Literally found out five seconds ago, surgery is tomorrow, don't know what time.

Hope it all goes smoothly, if he had a Hebrew name I'd say a mishaberach for him.

edited June 2017

Okay, Joe Webb did this one (gallery)  and Marshian Light Projection System needs to be pointed out. Did you see the thumbnail pointing out you can USE YOUR OWN IMAGES?

Edit: think about these for portrait backgrounds. Different lights and different patterns. Rather neat I think. Anyone use them?

Post edited by Novica on
  • jakibluejakiblue Posts: 7,281

I have that one,k the Hybrid Lights for Abandoned City. It's really good.

Exept for the fact that the 'render settings' got left out of it, and even tho I put in a ticket (as every other set he did had 'render settings' as well the page advertising it has 'render settings' ) and despite the fact they closed the ticket saying it had been updated, even tho it HADN'T. Still it's a good set.  

Novica said:

This one has lights and fog, and can be used on other sets.      https://www.daz3d.com/iray-hybrid-lights-fog-for-abandoned-city-2

LOL, I just saw an ad. A Boxer dog (sitting at the front door) has a huge plastic pink flamingo yard ornament in his mouth. The caption? "Whatever your dog brings home, it shouldn't be flea and ticks." 

Gotta love it.

Hope it all goes smoothly, if he had a Hebrew name I'd say a mishaberach for him.

Very kind, thank you! heart

• jakibluejakiblue Posts: 7,281

This is in the iray sale too:

https://www.daz3d.com/iray-envirocam

Seems pretty good - I'll play more tonight. 

I did a search in the store for "iray" and there were a few products that were on sale, that did NOT show in the actual Iray sale category. That's how I found that one. 

edited June 2017

@Isidorn has a good gallery image for the DA Iray Fabric Shaders Leather and Cloth- if you are looking for camoflage/flauge, however you want to spell it is correct, this has it.

Edit, here's a different user showing the camo.

Post edited by Novica on
  • ValandarValandar Posts: 1,417
    L'Adair said:
    L'Adair said:

Several things of Khory's are in the Iray portion of the sale. I picked up her Decorator Kit: Neutral Shader Presets for Iray, finally. I also bought sf-design's new glass shaders. It was really nice of DAZ to release them on a day with a big discount. And if you've been thinking about getting his water shaders, Easy Liquid - Custom Liquid Shader and Presets for Iray, the discount for featured artist and feature Iray product is stacking. Not sure if that's intentional, but I paid less than $5. (Finally picked up Nikolas and The Bathroom, too. I've got about $50 left for the rest of June!)

Render more, spend less... Render more, spend less... Render more, spend less...

I see the Easy Liquid product is no longer in the Iray featured items at 49% off. I'm guessing sf-design didn't know his glass shader product would be released the same day when he approved his Iray products being part of today's sale.

PA's don't have much control about what is released when, actually, and pretty much have no advance warning about sales (beyond the annual March Madness and PA Sales, that is). The exception is if we specifically request a certain date from Marketing, such as "My DAZ anniversary is on July 15, can you release this product then?" - assuming it's ready to release WELL before the date requested.

edited June 2017

Take a peek at the D.I.Y lights- there's some neat patterns in that one, it's not just another light set. Again, think about throwing those patterns onto a back wall, or backdrop, for portraits. Doesn't have to go on your character to be cool!  Edit: Example

Post edited by Novica on
    edited June 2017

Okay, I mentioned PerspectX Family Room and I tried BD Elena as she was in a featured store and I haven't bought any of BD's lately. I liked her characters when she was Artemis but the new style of eyebrows, large eyes and noses, just don't appeal to me. Mostly (of course) the thin eyebrows. So Elena was okay with the eyebrows, and noses can be morphed. This is out of the box though, and I think she's rather cute. As I mentioned,  iRadiance Pro Series 16K HDRIs- Photo Studio for Iray is the additional lighting and does well with sets, using "Floodlight." It's an emissive panel that reminds me of a Ghost Light. (Is it in the Iray sale? I didn't look, and it wouldn't show up as I have it already.)  I like this lighting.

I used the trees from Peaceful House for the background in the window. Had some fun- I do draw (2D artist) and if I hadn't told you, would you have known that half of those leaves are mine, hand drawn, to match the 3D trees? The leaves on your left and right top are all mine. 

TIP: darken the walls and the lamp shade if you're adding lights or doing daytime. They wash out otherwise. I also did the window sill (all whites went to gray. Green went from ight to medium.) 

TIP: use  Sunbathing Poses for Eva 7 and other sunbathing pose sets for sitting poses in chairs and lounging on a couch.

TIP: Push heels of feet and the character's hiney slightly into the cushions. They don't rest on "top" of the fabric, they nestle into it.

18 minutes: 51% 2238 iterations      89%  35 minutes  4099 iterations.  So not speedy, and things turned off that were not in scene. The trees added to the time.

ElenaFamRmiRadiPro16HDRI.png
    767 x 920 - 1M
    Post edited by Novica on

Oh, watch your DIM updates, that section at the top. I almost did the GoZ and the studio! (I don't want to use the new version until the bugs have been worked out, see what others think. I'm not seeing any wow factors so far.)  If you use Zbrush, your GoZ has to match the current version. So if you aren't using the new one, do NOT update your GoZ, keep what you have.

I installed it. So far no problems.

I installed it. So far no problems.

Let us know if you see any differences with Iray?

edited June 2017

If it is there I can't discern any difference.

HMM. taking that back. I'm getting white fireflies in the shadows of one of my characters. Never had those before.

This discussion has been closed.