Novica & Forum Members Tips & Product Reviews Pt 9

Comments

• L'AdairL'Adair Posts: 9,479
    barbult said:
    L'Adair said:
    barbult said:

And back to the galleries I go. (I left a comment on Diesel for Elijah 7 before I saw your list in here. I changed my mind in the middle of writing the comment, and now it looks like I can't write in English. Please feel free to laugh at me when you read it.) Now I must give the other images a bit of attention.

I noticed the little typo, but I just figured you were not a native English speaker and moved on without prejudice. wink Goodness knows, we all typo a lot!

I appreciate everyones comments. It is fun to see them.

I agree, and more often than not, if I "Like" the image, I leave a comment; because I like seeing comments on my images, too. But it can be hard to do, when all the comments that come before say what I want to say... I feel like a parrot if I don't come up with something different. Much easier to be the first or second to comment! lol

• IceDragonArtIceDragonArt Posts: 12,548
    L'Adair said:
    barbult said:
    L'Adair said:
    barbult said:

And back to the galleries I go. (I left a comment on Diesel for Elijah 7 before I saw your list in here. I changed my mind in the middle of writing the comment, and now it looks like I can't write in English. Please feel free to laugh at me when you read it.) Now I must give the other images a bit of attention.

I noticed the little typo, but I just figured you were not a native English speaker and moved on without prejudice. wink Goodness knows, we all typo a lot!

I appreciate everyones comments. It is fun to see them.

I agree, and more often than not, if I "Like" the image, I leave a comment; because I like seeing comments on my images, too. But it can be hard to do, when all the comments that come before say what I want to say... I feel like a parrot if I don't come up with something different. Much easier to be the first or second to comment! lol

I do too but I figure even if I say I like it with slightly different words, it works lol. I know I always appreciate comments as well.

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    barbult said:
    Valandar said:

DAZ does not give PA's any sort of list of who bought our products, so that's one thing you can relax on. wink

On the other hand, and this is a debate that was active back before I closed my Rendo store in 2006 or so, a list of customers is pretty much useless for the purposes they claim. Why? Because some people have multiple accounts - one for their purchases, and one for their renders, just as an example. It gives them an extra layer of privacy. There was one merchant on a certain other site that actually had a very public meltdown about pirates there, and at least one person they "named and shamed" proved they did, in fact, own the product legally through another name... which led to a massive debate about multiple accounts.

As BOTH a merchant and a customer, I don't like the idea of being given a list of customers. As a merchant, it is pretty much useless to me (especially at DAZ, where THEY handle any form of DMCA or the like), and as a customer I'm not sure I like other merchants knowing exactly what I did and did not buy. "Hey, Val, you bought Supertechno Longjohns," they might say, "but why didn't you also buy Cyber TightyWhiteys?" Now, no merchant I know would do something like that, but there are people who do think like that.

Meanwhile, let's see more lists! I don't make it onto them, but it's interesting to see what you guys enjoy!

Well, you are on my list, I own 94 of your products lol.  I also probably have another 3/4 of your shop wishlisited. Your items are those things that are used all the time and are essential to a lot of scenes but don't get mentioned for exactly those reasons, because we don't tend to think of poses or weapons or any of the other hundreds of things that make a scene pull together.  We just use them. 

Exactly! And I have you beat, Ice Dragon Art, I have 119 Valandar products. In fact, I have another Fern Lake render with a kayak from Canoes.I'll post it here and add it to my top list for Fern Lake.

I have 176

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,050
    barbult said:
    Valandar said:

DAZ does not give PA's any sort of list of who bought our products, so that's one thing you can relax on. wink

On the other hand, and this is a debate that was active back before I closed my Rendo store in 2006 or so, a list of customers is pretty much useless for the purposes they claim. Why? Because some people have multiple accounts - one for their purchases, and one for their renders, just as an example. It gives them an extra layer of privacy. There was one merchant on a certain other site that actually had a very public meltdown about pirates there, and at least one person they "named and shamed" proved they did, in fact, own the product legally through another name... which led to a massive debate about multiple accounts.

As BOTH a merchant and a customer, I don't like the idea of being given a list of customers. As a merchant, it is pretty much useless to me (especially at DAZ, where THEY handle any form of DMCA or the like), and as a customer I'm not sure I like other merchants knowing exactly what I did and did not buy. "Hey, Val, you bought Supertechno Longjohns," they might say, "but why didn't you also buy Cyber TightyWhiteys?" Now, no merchant I know would do something like that, but there are people who do think like that.

Meanwhile, let's see more lists! I don't make it onto them, but it's interesting to see what you guys enjoy!

Well, you are on my list, I own 94 of your products lol.  I also probably have another 3/4 of your shop wishlisited. Your items are those things that are used all the time and are essential to a lot of scenes but don't get mentioned for exactly those reasons, because we don't tend to think of poses or weapons or any of the other hundreds of things that make a scene pull together.  We just use them. 

Exactly! And I have you beat, Ice Dragon Art, I have 119 Valandar products. In fact, I have another Fern Lake render with a kayak from Canoes.I'll post it here and add it to my top list for Fern Lake.

I have 176

Well, you win - for now, untill someone else comes along to one-up us all. laugh

barbult said:
    barbult said:
    Valandar said:

I have 176

Well, you win - for now, untill someone else comes along to one-up us all. laugh

Bwahaha!  Of course, I'm still working on it lol.

• NovicaNovica Posts: 23,859
    edited October 2017

Well.... Since only 110 out of 304 are showing, I apparently have 194. 

Post edited by Novica on

Two Flash sales- Deviney's and Stonemason. Man, when they do release V8, no one is going to have any money left.

edited June 2017

Oh, man... I feel like I need to catch up! I only have 90 Valandar products...

Post edited by L'Adair on
  • LlynaraLlynara Posts: 4,770
    edited June 2017

I spent some $$$ on Lydia this morning. I don't need any more G3Fs, I really don't. But she's one of the most beautiful I've seen. I'm doing some renders on this thread. Will post my best here, still playing with her and getting used to her. She's really is a knockout. 

Post edited by Llynara on
  • OdaaOdaa Posts: 1,548
    Llynara said:

I spent some $$$ on Lydia this morning. I don't need any more G3Fs, I really don't. But she's one of the most beautiful I've seen. I'm doing some renders on this thread. Will post my best here, still playing with her and getting used to her. She's really is a knockout. 

My new rule for G3F is that if I think I could make a sort-of okay equivalent to the skin in Skin Builder 3, and do something similar to the morph by spinning dials or firing up Facegen, I won't buy it. The skin here is mind-blowingly good here, so she's sitting in my cart, awaiting the final round of agonizing.

L'Adair said:

Which is a LOT. 

I love that practical items are offered- such as the Physical Therapy Equipment and the Mugs, Tankards, and Steins. And Electronic Tools could double as a wood-burning instrument in a studio setting.

Odaa said:
    Llynara said:

My new rule for G3F is that if I think I could make a sort-of okay equivalent to the skin in Skin Builder 3, and do something similar to the morph by spinning dials or firing up Facegen, I won't buy it. The skin here is mind-blowingly good here, so she's sitting in my cart, awaiting the final round of agonizing.

LOL, my rules come and quickly go. I think that's called "total lack of self restraint."  And in your case, "More talent." You know how to use those tools! wink

Novica said:
    L'Adair said:

Which is a LOT. 

I love that practical items are offered- such as the Physical Therapy Equipment and the Mugs, Tankards, and Steins. And Electronic Tools could double as a wood-burning instrument in a studio setting.

And I appreciate that a number of the weekly freebies from DAZ are created by Valandar, (two of the three you linked to, for example.) It underscores the fact Valandar creates quality products...

• ValandarValandar Posts: 1,417

I should note I don't really do the freebies anymore... Doing buyouts was a pit I fell into, needing cash fast as opposed to a constant stream. I still have a couple products I sold to DAZ that haven't been released, but for the most part any set I make from now on won't be a "DAZ Original" or a weekly freebie.

Valandar said:

I should note I don't really do the freebies anymore... Doing buyouts was a pit I fell into, needing cash fast as opposed to a constant stream. I still have a couple products I sold to DAZ that haven't been released, but for the most part any set I make from now on won't be a "DAZ Original" or a weekly freebie.

sad

But...

• It's still evidence you do very good work, and
    • I don't think anyone blames you for for wanting to build up your business and have a relatively steady income.

There are plenty of items in your back catalog I want, and I look forward to seeing what's yet to come.

Valandar said:

I'm glad that you are to the point where you can do what's best for you.  Won't stop me from working my way down my wishlist either lol.

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,050
    edited June 2017

I just got Nyarai for Genesis 3 Female today in one of the sales. Wow, she is stunning and detailed. This render even has a bit of Khory's Decorator Kit: Neutral Shader Presets for Iray on the chair, but because of the tight crop and DOF, it is very hard to see. I use that decorator kit over and over. It is a very useful item. I got my money's worth on that purchase for sure! I keep hoping Khory will make a follow on set worth another coordinated color scheme like this one.

Nyarai Chateau Chair_003.jpg
    1600 x 2000 - 2M
    Post edited by barbult on
    edited June 2017

@barbult Very beautiful! 

Here's another stunning one. Lydia for V7

PS. I just checked and I own 71 Valandar items. So I guess I'm slackin'.

Post edited by Llynara on

I'm just now fiddling with it, but PerspectX Family Room is nice. Playing with it now.

TIP: If you have the iRadiance Pro Series 16K HDRIs- Photo Studio for Iray- It's GREAT for set lighting. Use the floodlight. It's like a Ghost Light.

The PerspectX store is in the Centaurian Future sale.

• jakibluejakiblue Posts: 7,281

You and me both!!! I only own 113 Valandar products! I am ASHAMED, ashamed I tell ya!!!! I need to fix that - as someone else mentioned, he does all those things that we need to fill out a scene, and can never find. 

L'Adair said:

today's iray sale is pretty cool! awesome prices on a lot of them. Did anyone pick up anything exciting in it they want to talk about? 

I picked up a couple - I'll have to showcase them later on, as Mother (as she is scarily known in my family) has given me a list of jobs to do before the big garage sale this weekend....you wouldn't think a woman of my age could still be ordered around by her mother, but hoooo boy, when she says jump, the entire family says how high?? LOL. 

Heads up!!!!!

I got a 20.00 store credit- no notes, nada. It must be from the Rons brushes that I bought at the higher price (that were just released and around $40.00) Note the price on the Steam brushes now- $9.66  I almost bought them and was going to file a ticket for the difference when I saw the store credit. So don't do that! See if you have a credit.

Several things of Khory's are in the Iray portion of the sale. I picked up her Decorator Kit: Neutral Shader Presets for Iray, finally. I also bought sf-design's new glass shaders. It was really nice of DAZ to release them on a day with a big discount. And if you've been thinking about getting his water shaders, Easy Liquid - Custom Liquid Shader and Presets for Iray, the discount for featured artist and feature Iray product is stacking. Not sure if that's intentional, but I paid less than $5. (Finally picked up Nikolas and The Bathroom, too. I've got about $50 left for the rest of June!)

Render more, spend less... Render more, spend less... Render more, spend less...

L'adair how did you get the easy liquid for less than $5? 

L'Adair said:

Several things of Khory's are in the Iray portion of the sale. I picked up her Decorator Kit: Neutral Shader Presets for Iray, finally. I also bought sf-design's new glass shaders. It was really nice of DAZ to release them on a day with a big discount. And if you've been thinking about getting his water shaders, Easy Liquid - Custom Liquid Shader and Presets for Iray, the discount for featured artist and feature Iray product is stacking. Not sure if that's intentional, but I paid less than $5. (Finally picked up Nikolas and The Bathroom, too. I've got about $50 left for the rest of June!)

Render more, spend less... Render more, spend less... Render more, spend less...

Aw, Yahoo will cease to exist after Verizon buys it shortly. Going through some sad moments while reading the news- companies that have gone out of business here are reminding me of all the stores I used to shop. Blockbuster is gone, now The Limited, hhgregg, and Radio Shack are probably going to close totally.

hmmm the ad says an extra 49% off featured PA's iray items....but some of them aren't working. There are iray items in the PA's catalogue that are just 49% off. 

BTW, an orange banner appeared and they said they released Ron's Steam at the wrong price, and that is indeed what the store credit was for. 

I am absolutely DYING of laughter here! I picked up Dreamlight's Iray Presets for DS Enchanted Forest in the iray sale cos it was only $2.33 and being as lazy as I am, I like it when the lighting is done for me *grin*. Loaded one of the "environments", the Sunny one actually, and while it also loads stonemason's Enchanted forest (which is cool) and a bunch of cameras (which is awesome), it changes your 'dimension presets' IE your render size to 500x281 pixels!!!!! Talk about a heart stopping moment - I was all "WTF is happening to my DS???" and then I looked and realized what had happened. I suspect the dimension presets were accidently saved when he saved the render settings (IE sun-sky only, etc). What gets me is that this is NOT a new product, it's been out for ages. So either no-one has put a ticket in....or there are LOTS of tickets in and they have fallen by the wayside. While I'm laughing my head off at the heart stopping moment of having this tiny render start, I'm also incredibly annoyed that this has NOT BEEN FIXED at any stage! Still, it's an easy fix to change the render size...but it's not something a customer should have do. 

Novica said:

Second, in my first post of this thread, I put a link to SereneNight's tutorial on backing up your content. I'm still working on the first few posts, got sidetracked. (BTW, hubby just left the hospital to get my son a Wendy's hamburger- so he is feeling better! He was jello yesterday. He's on nausea meds so they're working!) If you have custom categories, and have made changes lately, or have a lot installed now- back up your studio. And do you have an extra copy of the studio?  A new version, when released, means the other one is taken out of Product Library. 

Just calling attention to this, since we don't know yet what plugins and features the new update might break. Doing my backups now, then crossing fingers and taking the plunge. Kind of concerned about what the dyanmic updates might do. I picked up a lot of super cheap Optitex clothing recently. Hope it still works after the updates.

Llynara said:
    Novica said:

Second, in my first post of this thread, I put a link to SereneNight's tutorial on backing up your content. I'm still working on the first few posts, got sidetracked. (BTW, hubby just left the hospital to get my son a Wendy's hamburger- so he is feeling better! He was jello yesterday. He's on nausea meds so they're working!) If you have custom categories, and have made changes lately, or have a lot installed now- back up your studio. And do you have an extra copy of the studio?  A new version, when released, means the other one is taken out of Product Library. 

Just calling attention to this, since we don't know yet what plugins and features the new update might break. Doing my backups now, then crossing fingers and taking the plunge. Kind of concerned about what the dyanmic updates might do. I picked up a lot of super cheap Optitex clothing recently. Hope it still works after the updates.

I'm staying away from this one until I know what it does to the custom categories....

This discussion has been closed.