No one asked me - Diomede screenshots on whatever - Warning AI Discussion OK

Comments

• PhilWPhilW Posts: 5,139

If you have a bump map of cobbles, try using that as a map in the terrain editor, and if that gives you a decent but small section of cobbles, you can then use the grid replicator to make an area as large as you want. 

• TangoAlphaTangoAlpha Posts: 4,584

Unless I'm mistaken, it's natural for OBJ files to import without textures - or am I missing something too?

I'm used to having to build new shaders in the target software. Exporting textures during OBJ export simply provides the textures in map form in the same folder as the OBJ file.

I could be wrong. Since I build new shaders in the target software (using the same maps as I used in Carrara), I haven't been exporting textures with my obj - but if I wanted to convert procedural shaders to maps, then I certainly would include the maps with export.

The obj texture options are really only a way of copying the texture maps to some place you ultimately don't want them to be. Also it'll completely ignore procedural shaders (you'll need to use Baker to make the texture maps, or create new procedurals from scratch in DS).

My personal workflow is to create a DS texture folder for the project (Runtime/Textures/TangoAlpha/Project) , then build new shaders appropriate to the render engine, usually 3Delight first, then Iray. I've already "finished" the model in Carrara by this time, so I know there isn't going to be too much going back and forth for tweaking (although there's still bound to be some).

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,026

I will be coming back to ask questions about the uvmaps for the trunk and branches of exported trees.  Any helpful hints would be appreciated.

edited June 2017

Making sure there are morph zones in old Poser-style rigged figures

I have a figure that was rigged for the old style Poser cr2 bone hierarchy. Only some of the bodyparts have existing morphs.  I want to be able to create correction morphs for all of the bodyarts.  I used Poser as a plugin to aid Carrara.  I loaded the figure in Poser, added a magnet set to affect all bodyparts, spawned morph targets for each bodypart, selected the figure body and created a full body morph for those bodypart morphs, and saved to the Runtime library.  Then in Carrara, I loaded the figure with the FBM and confirmed that each bodypart now has at least one existing morph, and therefore more morphs can be created for each bodypart.

A bit tedious, so I am open for a better way, but this worked.

Post edited by Diomede on
    edited June 2017

The figure is the baby penguin.  It has existing morphs for the head and the eyes, but not for most of the body.  You can see this by loading in Carrara, entering the modeling room, and trying to select by morph area.  You can also confirm by selecting a boypart like the chest or abdomen and noticing that no current morphs exist, and Carrara will not let you add the first.

vv01 baby penguin Poser figure has morph area for head eyes but not for abdomen etc.JPG
    1905 x 1032 - 220K
    vv02 morph areas and morphs for head.JPG
    1907 x 1017 - 227K
    edited June 2017

My version of Poser is 2014, so not the most current.  But frankly, I think any version going back to at least Poser 4 has the necessary tools to spawn morph targets from magnets.

- in Poser, I loaded the baby penguin from the Poser runtime library.

- I created a magnet and made sure that each bodypart was selected to be changed by the magnet.  Do this in magnet properties tab.

- Select the magnet and do a test change.  I simply scaled up to 105%.  I looked at the penguin to confirm that all bodyparts seemed to scale up.

- I then went through each bodypart and used the object menu to "spawn morph target."  I gave each morph the same name (Test1)

- I then deleted the magnet.  All of the new bodypart morph dials returned to zero.

- I returned to each bodypart and set the new Test1 morph to 1.

- I then selected the penguin body and used the figure menu to create a new full body morph.

vv03 load penguin in Poser and window zero joint rotations.JPG
    1912 x 1036 - 171K
    vv04 use magnet select deform all parts then for each part under object menu spawn morph target same name.JPG
    1912 x 1017 - 162K
    vv05 delete magnet and morphs go to zero.JPG
    1906 x 1064 - 157K
    vv06 go through each bodypart and set test morph to 1.JPG
    1900 x 1011 - 148K
    vv07 all bodypart morphs set to 1.JPG
    1906 x 1021 - 146K
    vv08 select body and use figure menu to create full body morph same name Test1.JPG
    1919 x 1007 - 151K

- I then added the figure with the FBM to the Poser runtime library with a name indicating the existence of the FBM.

- I opened a new carrara scene and loaded the penguin with the FBM.

- I then confirmed that the bodyparts can now be given new morphs in Carrara.

vv09 penguin fbm added to library.JPG
    1910 x 1001 - 152K
    vv12 load penguin fbm figure in Carrara.JPG
    1879 x 1021 - 204K
    vv13 can now create new morphs in formerly empty areas.JPG
    1905 x 987 - 191K
    edited June 2017

Modeling Intended for Rigging in Studio, Even if Will Use in Carrara

I modeled a book in Carrara and rigged it in Poser using the cr2 format.  I am now going to try to model a second book and rig it in Studio and save in DUF format.  The key difference between rigging in Carrara and rigging in either Poser or Studio is that the latter two programs require the mesh to have polygon groups assigned that wil match the bone structure.  In this case, I want to be able to animate the book, including turning the pages.  I also want the option of a softcover book.  Therefore, I want the limbs (pages and covers) to have many bones.  The next couple of posts will describe the mesh, the shading domains, the uvmap, and the polygon groups.  There will then be a pause in my posts as I curse and scream whle trying to set up te correct file structure and do the actual rigging.  wink 

edited June 2017

The mesh

OK, I chose a very dense mesh because I want to be able to turn the pages relatively smoothly.  I also want the option to increase the effective density in Studio even more with subD.  I started with a vertex grid, added thickness, and extruded.  Relatively simple operation, but tedious.  I wanted the front and back cover to be slightly larger than the interior pages.  I wanted three pages that could be rotated independently. That way, the book can lie open, and a middle page can be turned.  I also wanted the pages to be at least 2 polygons wide so that I can morph the 1st and 3rd pages so that it will appear that the reader is near the beginning or end of a thick book.  Also, different images can appear on the front and back side of the page when the page is turned.  The book holds its shape when smoothing is turned on, even to level 3.

gg60 mesh and uvmap of evised book.JPG
    1864 x 997 - 272K

Shading Domains and UV Map.

I was undecided about the uvmap.  The books dimensions are like an 8.5 x 11 piece of paper.  I could have projected each page as a square covering the entire uvmap so that the user could apply any pic to it.  However, the distortion would be pretty big if the user's pic was not also 8.5 x 11.  Instead, I tried to keep the proportions on the uvmap relatively stable.  The uvmaps completely overlap for the front and back cover and front and back of each page. These main pages are maximized on the uvmap.  The spine of the book has its proportions maintained, but it is smaller relative to the uvmap.  The edges are separated out.

gg64 render of book.jpg
    640 x 480 - 47K

In order to anticipate rigging, I selected and created polygon groups using the NAME menu.  The base is the spine, which would correspond to the hip of a person.  The covers and each page are then made up of 10 joints, each of which is 2 polygons wide.  The polygons near the spine are much closer together than the middle.

gg61 name polygons for spine.JPG
    1573 x 869 - 139K
    gg62 name more polygons for parts.JPG
    1660 x 903 - 205K
    gg63 polygon groups.JPG
    1223 x 1020 - 119K
    edited June 2017

I hope to be back Monday or Tuesday to give an update of my animatable book based on the following SickleYield tutorials.

SY - tutorials for rigging stuff
    Rigging pliers pt1

.pt2

.Rigging a door

edited June 2017

And this is why we need testing.  Some of the interior shading domain uvmaps are inverted.  See the left page.  blush

test uvmap problem.jpg
    640 x 480 - 26K
  • TangoAlphaTangoAlpha Posts: 4,584

Don't forget that texture maps don't have to be square . . .

If you make your page UVs square and fill the grid (don't forget to orient them top up & right way round wink), you are then free to make your book any shape you want, so long as the image maps match it. Want a book 6" x 9"? Scale the object and then use any 6 x 9 image. Want it A4? Scale it to A4 and use an A4 image, and so on.

OK, ineresting suggestion, TA.  With square pages (and covers), a rigged book would have to have the skeleton adjusted when morphed to different dimensions.  Here is a SickleYield tutorial for FBMs when the skeleton has to be changed.

https://sickleyield.deviantart.com/journal/Tutorial-Making-an-Adjusted-FBM-367981844

I'll have to decide if I want to adapt my current mesh or if I want to start over.

edited June 2017

Another hiccup with my current version.  Some of the uvmaps are inverted.  I rendered out a sample book cover and applied it to the cover and the spine.  However, I will be starting over with a model designed for square uvmaps for the cover and inner pages.

book 3 render vv.jpg
    800 x 1000 - 46K
    edited July 2017

Here is the new square mesh and uvmaps.  The previous hiccups have been addressed; the uvs are no longer inverted on the back of interior pages.  The covers and the front/back of pages all use the entire uvmap.  The rest of the mesh (spine, edges, etc) fill one uvmap without overlapping with each other.  Same strategy.  Groups of polygons have been named to match the planned bone rigging.  Will be saving in the folder structure recommended in MDO2010's notes for Studio content creation.   Am in the process of generating some sample images to fill the pages and save them in the material folders.

aaa01 book 4mesh and uvmap.JPG
    1886 x 1016 - 233K
  • StezzaStezza Posts: 7,757

following with interest yes

• wgdjohnwgdjohn Posts: 2,634

Being curious... what was causing the inverted pages textures?

User error.  (That means that I screwed up).

wgdjohn said:

Being curious... what was causing the inverted pages textures?

I modeled it so that each page had thickness, so that the front and back could have different images when the page is turned.  So far, so good.

For the square version, I used the planar uv projection preset instead of seam/unwrap.  As a result, the back of the page was inverted.  Not that big of a deal by itself, but my error was not checking earlier in the process.

• wgdjohnwgdjohn Posts: 2,634

Thanks... I understand now. cool

edited June 2017

Update on book project.  The mesh has been divided into assigned polygon groups corresponding to where I want the bones of the figure.

These are the Studio screenshots to load the obj and start the process to create a rigged DUF file.

yy01 load studio and add figure setup pane to side view.JPG
    1918 x 1020 - 169K
    yy02 set weight type to triax andcontent type to prop in this case.JPG
    864 x 475 - 51K
    yy03 in content pane add content folder for project at content level.JPG
    1171 x 639 - 85K
    yy04 right click geometry left side and add obj from workng files folder in project folder.JPG
    1269 x 694 - 118K
    yy06 geometry loads and the named polygon groups are listed under arrow.JPG
    871 x 983 - 82K
    yy07 drag and drop obj from left geometry list on to word geometry in relationships list will populate right side.JPG
    795 x 1036 - 113K
    edited June 2017

And then here is the finished DUF file being loaded and posed in Carrara.

xx01 duf file loads in Carrara.JPG
    1910 x 1040 - 218K
    xx02 posed render in carrara.jpg
    640 x 480 - 16K
    edited July 2017

Ring of Fire - Johnny Cash

Simple replication of the fire primitive

For no particular reason, I was inspired by Johnny Cash to render a ring of fire.  There are a couple ways to do it.  I decided to model a simple vertex ring, and replicate the fire primitive all over its surface

- Modeled the ring from an oval.  Applied smoothng.

- Inserted the fire primtive and replicated on the surface of the vertex ring.

- Turned off visibility and shadows for the vertex ring.

- Did a test render.

aa05 result.JPG
    1602 x 917 - 135K
    aa10 adjust number objects min distance align normal etc.JPG
    1484 x 958 - 82K
    aa13 2nd test render.jpg
    640 x 480 - 28K
    edited July 2017

So here is my test render of a ring of fire.

And here is a link to Johnny singing about it.

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,757

could the book be a feature in the next Carrara Challenge I wonder?

thinking as I sing along with Johnny smiley

edited July 2017

Here is how to post a yutube music video to the forum.  Simple, just search for your video, copy the url (link), then in the forum past in the text box.

Here I did it for Stevie Wonder's "Superstition"

1) google search for Stevie Wonder Superstition

2) Copy the url (location) from the youtube page

3) Paste the url in the forum text box.

4)  People can now click on video box (below) to play the video

bb01 stevie wonder supersition google.JPG
    816 x 103 - 18K
    bb03 copy url of stevie wonder.JPG
    1626 x 932 - 161K
    bb04 insert music video link.JPG
    934 x 378 - 43K
  • HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,921
    PhilW said:

If you have a bump map of cobbles, try using that as a map in the terrain editor, and if that gives you a decent but small section of cobbles, you can then use the grid replicator to make an area as large as you want. 

nice tip thanks

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,921
    edited July 2017
    Diomede said:

So here is my test render of a ring of fire.

nice rof . we used to use Chilli Paste whose byline  was that 'it was so good it 'burned you twice'

Post edited by Headwax on
    edited July 2017

Fun with the Organic Tool in the Vertex Modeler

I took a break from my writing project to play with the organic tool in the vertex modeler.  The results were not what I expected, but could still lead to fun.  And by "took a break," I mean I procrastinated.

My intention was to use the organic tool to sketch out the basic profile of a human head that I could then use the vertex modeler tools to shape toon-ish.  The result was monstrous.  While a bad thing in this case, I could see using this for fun sometime.

- First, I outlined a humanoid head profile on a square tile in my image editor.  I saved that as a jpg.

- I started a new Carrara scene, inserted a vertex object, and loaded the saved profile in the global tab left/right checkbox.

- I used the camera menu in the upper left of the vertex modeler to go to the left camera and see the reference image

- I used the polyline tool to trace the outline along the profile.

-  I made sure that the last point of the polyline overlapped the first point and hit enter (unchecked the show reference image to see better)

- I filled the outline.  Use Control-F or  MODEL / FILL POLYGON

- I used the camera menu to return to the directors camera.  The profle is on the side wall.

- I used the translate menu and set the x axis to zero to move the profile to the center

- I used the organic tool to make the flat profile three-dimensional .  Use CONSTRUCT : ORGANIC

- The result was not what I expected, but could be fun in the future.

This

Became this

cc02 head profile.JPG
    1239 x 846 - 72K
    cc06 load reference by check box under global tab in vertex modeler.JPG
    980 x 811 - 92K
    cc07 use camera menu for left side profile.JPG
    1898 x 969 - 165K
    cc09 fill by either conrol f or b model fill polygon.JPG
    1236 x 979 - 73K
    cc12 result of construct organic.JPG
    1137 x 942 - 123K