Wow Who Knew? Or V4 & M4 Clothing Conversions Thread

IceDragonArtIceDragonArt Posts: 12,548
edited June 2017 in Art Studio

So ther are lots and lots of older clothing content being sold very inexpensively and I know some people hesitate to buy these older items thinking they are not worth anything.  On the contrary, most of these items will move up through the generations quite well and convert beautifully to Iray.  This thread is to show the older content and how it looks converted to the newer generations.  I will keep a list of everything with links in the first several posts, to clothing, converters and whatever else is helpful in using this older content.  Anyone is free to post and join in with conversions, questions, problems, tips etc.  If one of us doesn't know I am sure another will (hopefully any way lol).  Feel free to show clothing converted from Genesis or even the earlier generations.

Bear with me as I get this going and track down links etc

Post edited by IceDragonArt on

Comments

• IceDragonArtIceDragonArt Posts: 12,548
    edited July 2017

Clothing Utilities - The stuff used to make it easier to move things from one generation to the next

V4 clone for G2F - gives you a path to use your existing Victoria 4 accessories and textures on your Genesis 2 Female characters. Use the AutoFit clone to access your favorite outfits, the Victoria 4 UV set to use your favorite textures and the Victoria 4 figure shape to see a familiar face. note: Due to a limitation in how DAZ Studio handles presets, only material presets which are in DUF format can be directly applied. Any existing material presets must be re-saved in DUF format from the original Victoria 4.

Sickle Dress Rig Genesis 2 Female - This is what I use the most often to get things up to Genesis 2 Females.  I still use this generation a lot so its been a priceless tool.  Make sure you read the directions that come with this, its important as there are two different ways of using it. It looks like you can use this on V4 to Genesis and on up through the generations as long as you have clones for the originating generations.  See my comment HERE

Wear Them All - Autofitting Clones and Clothing Smoothers for Genesis 3 Female(s) autofitting clones are created to smoothly fit any Genesis 2 Male, Genesis, Victoria 4 and Michael 4 conforming clothes to Genesis 3 Female(s) using the Autofit feature in DAZ Studio. Make sure you read the read me/directions on these two they are important!

Wear Them All - Autofitting Clones and Clothing Smoothers for Genesis 3 Male(s) - autofitting clones are created to smoothly fit any Genesis 2 Female, Genesis, Victoria 4 and Michael 4 conforming clothes to Genesis 3 Male(s) using the Autofit feature in Daz Studio.

Clothing Smoothers for Genesis 2 Females - This should help a great deal for those problem spots on the longer tunics and dresses where it can distort or stretch oddly.

edited June 2017

Tips, Tutorials & Such.  I will either post the link and name with a brief description here or post a link to the post (with a brief description) depending on what it is.

YES you can use male clothing on females. (and vice versa). Not all of it will convert well but a lot of it does.

Autofitting Shoes - A Reminder on Autofitting Shoes to Genesis 2 or 3 by SickleYield

Converting other character items (think Poser etc.) to M4/V4 so you can convert them up the generations - see thread here https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/751995/#Comment_751995 This would expand your wardrobes even further, as I know many of us have Poser as well.

If the skirt handles show in your render even if they don't show in the viewport - you have to go into the scene list and drill down to the list under each skirt handle and turn the eye off as well.

Converting Hair Tip

To Convert Hair While Keeping Riggning & Movement Morphs - https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/1866/p1 - By RAMWolff - Should work across generations not just Genesis.

Creating Clothing Morphs With Blender and Daz Studio -This video by Sickleyield may help with hard to fit items -

Example of M4 clothing converted to G3M

edited June 2017

Clothing

A

Adventurer Genesis - Render

Alruna Armour - Genesis - Render

Artemis X Genesis - Render

Avalon Adventure Genesis - Render

Arthurian Genesis 2 Female - Render - This shows how easily you can transfer clothing from female to male across generations

C

Casual Male M5 - Render - the shirt and vest did not convert well at all, but the pants are gorgeous.

Centurion V4 - You can see the top & bottom here.

D

Dragon Gear for V4 -You can see it here  Render

Defiant Genesis - Render

E

Effortless Cool Genesis - Render -Don't forget, you can use male clothing on females with the right tools.

Elfin for V4 - Render Comes with some beautiful textures - the skirt handles will show in your render even if they don't show in the viewport unless you  go into the scene list and drill down to the list under each skirt handle and turn the eye off as well.

Elven Dress Genesis - Render

G

GIS Genesis - Render

Gypsies and Genies for V1, V2 and SP3 - Render

H

Highlander for Genesis - Render

J

Jack of Hearts for Genesis - Render

M

Maharani - Victoria 3 - Render

S

Sonya for V4 - Render

Spanish Rose/Matador V3 & M3- Render

Starlight Dress Genesis - Render

V

Victorias Changing Fantasy Suit Victoria 1 & 2 - Render

Victoria's Historic Gowns V1 and V2 - Render

W

Warrioress for V4 - Render - I don't think I can share a direct link but this one is by XNem over at the other place

Hopefully that will be enough for this project lol.  Please add links to the clothing, tutorials or whatever and I will add them all to this first page in some kind of order.

edited June 2017

First Tip - Many other items will convert well through the generations.  Some easier than others.  Hair for instance, usually can be either used and/or converted with varying degrees of difficulty.  Many of them transfer very well. If the hair is a bit too thin - load up two of them.  You can also offset the second one a tiny bit to help fill in as well, and, you can use two different hairstyles together as well.

• L'AdairL'Adair Posts: 9,479

First Tip - Many other items will convert well through the generations.  Some easier than others.  Hair for instance, usually can be either used and/or converted with varying degrees of difficulty.  Many of them transfer very well. If the hair is a bit too thin - load up two of them.  You can also offset the second one a tiny bit to help fill in as well, and, you can use two different hairstyles together as well.

There is an excellent tutorial on this from RAMWolff. It's for Genesis, but I can personally attest to it working for old hair on Genesis 3.

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/1866/p1

Great thank you!

• LlynaraLlynara Posts: 4,770

I've posted quite a few M4 and V4 conversions on the Wear Them All thread and my art thread, but happy to repost here if you like. Consolidation is a good thing! 

edited June 2017

Yes please! Feel free to add the V3 & M3 ones as well, the ones that you did are gorgeous! I am going to have to go back to all of the ones I already have converted and re render a lot of them as most of them just got done and not really rendered lol. The more the merrier.  I will continue to post the ones I like the best on my own thread but I've found myself hunting through your thread and my own thread, trying to remember where exactly I saw that outfit and does it really look like I remember?

Llynara said:

I've posted quite a few M4 and V4 conversions on the Wear Them All thread and my art thread, but happy to repost here if you like. Consolidation is a good thing! 

I plan on doing a lot of lurking. My forays into getting old content to fit new models has been largely unsuccessful. I'm hoping to learn a lot from you guys.

L'Adair said:

I plan on doing a lot of lurking. My forays into getting old content to fit new models has been largely unsuccessful. I'm hoping to learn a lot from you guys.

Looks like we will all be learning together!  I am a learn as I go kind of person lol.

edited June 2017

Dragon Gear for V4 Converted.  This one converted beautifully, although it sometimes has a bit of stretching on the lower skirt part of the tunic.  I have Sickleyields Clothing Smoothers for Genesis 2 Females and I am hoping that will help, with this one and with some of the other longer dresses as those seem to have the most issues with this particular problem. I just picked up the clothing smoothers yesterday so haven't had a chance to try them yet.

I also wanted to point out that a lot of the older clothing loads with the glossiness set 95% which makes things very very shiny.  Great for metal and glass looks, not so much for most clothing.  So if they look shiny (you can see what I mean if you look at the bottom of her dress) check the glossiness channel and turn it down until it looks like the type of cloth it actually is.

FUTURE HUNTER POST WORK TONE MAPPING.jpg
    1483 x 2400 - 4M

Somebody had asked how Xurge3d clothing for v3 and v4 converted to the higher generations.

This is V3 Dragon Princess auto fitted to genesis (pink hair) saved as a Figure/Prop asset then moved to Gen2F.  The transfer utility did not work as well moving the top to G2F but it autofitted beautifully.  The pants were done with the transfer utility.

So if it doesn't work one way, try it another way, usually, if one doesn't work the other will.

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,026
    edited June 2017

Great idea for a thread.  If you can convert an item designed for another figure to M4 or V4, you may also be able to convert again for use with later genesis figures.  Here is an example.  I have a historical pack for the Poser 7 male Simon.  I was able to use Poser's wardrobe wizard to convert items designed for P7 simon to M4, and then from M4 to later genesis figures using Daz's transfer utility.  For wardrobe wizard, you need the appropriate figure pack.

See the thread here.

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/751995/#Comment_751995

The following pic shows that the converted file using the transfer utility (left side) actually gets better results than the base wardrobe wizard conversion alone (right side).  See the poke through in the thigh in the right side.

eric.jpg
    600 x 450 - 14K
    Post edited by Diomede on

Awesome thanks!  I know lots of people use Poser as well as other programs so that can be super helpful as well.  Will add it to the tips

• wgdjohnwgdjohn Posts: 2,634

Sonja,  Thanks for starting this... I'll eventually be back to ask questions.

• EsemwyEsemwy Posts: 577

I've found this very useful for shoes. 

A Reminder on Autofitting Shoes to Genesis 2 or 3 by SickleYield

Esemwy said:

OMG! That is so useful. I picked up several V4 clothing products in the weekend sale, (PC+ stuff at 30¢ each,) so I was testing them on G2F to see if it was worth getting the texture sets, too. Of those I purchased, only the shoes gave me problems. And now I know what to do about it. Thank you so much for sharing that link!

wgdjohn said:

Sonja,  Thanks for starting this... I'll eventually be back to ask questions.

Ask away! Hopefully we will all learn something and be able to really get the full use out of the older clothing.

Esemwy said:

Oh my gosh that's awesome thank you!

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,026
    edited June 2017

The plugin for dynamic cloth (VWD) can be used across generations.  In some cases, you might want to morph the mesh to get an initial fit, or to gather a waistband.

Before I forget, happy birthday.

Post edited by Diomede on

Thank you very much!  And I love the VWD plug in - although I am just starting to get a handle on it.

• RGcincyRGcincy Posts: 2,805

This wil be a very useful discussion, thanks for organizing it, I'm exactly someone who has avoided older clothes as I had no idea how to make them work. I'll have to give the tips a try on some of the older items I have.

RGcincy said:

This wil be a very useful discussion, thanks for organizing it, I'm exactly someone who has avoided older clothes as I had no idea how to make them work. I'll have to give the tips a try on some of the older items I have.

Don't hesitate to ask any questions.  I was getting frustrated with tracking down stuff across threads, and really needed someplace that had it all in one spot.  I do hope other people who have done conversions will contribute as well. I know Llynara has done some beautiful conversions with V3 and M3. I'm sure there are more but its late and I'm headed to bed very soon lol.

• OdaaOdaa Posts: 1,548

I've had surprisingly good luck with Xurge3D's Elven Lord (on sale at his site until midnight today) converted from M4 to G3M. There are two things about Xurge's clothes: his tunics hate smoothing effects (causes the mesh to shrink), and the shoes either turn out really awful or surprisingly decent. Yes, I should have hidden his right arm to prevent pokethrough, and I lost the version of the file where I put smoothing on the gloves (they like smoothing just fine). I also did a lot of fiddling with the materials just because I like playing with that, but from a mesh POV this was what came out of the autofit version with Wear Them All to help it along. The collar gets kind of wack if you move the neck, so I locked Nino's neck joints in place.

Nice!  I love his clothes.  I will add this to the top and link your post when I am more awake.  No telling where the link might go if I do it now lol.

I've added several new clothing items, for V1, V2 and V3 (thank you Llynara!). And yes, some of the very early clothing can be converted and used but will probably need texture/shaders updated.

Haven't forgotten about this, I will not have much time for the next two weeks but after the first of July I should be back up to speed. 

Please, if you have conversions and want to share, don't be shy.  And I certainly don't have every item of clothing either lol.

edited July 2017

Okay, the wedding is done, (and it was a beautiful day, thankfully, as it was outdoors lol)  there is a photo on my art thread if anyone is curious what my kid and his new wife look like lol.  Real photo not a render lolol.

Anyway, I saw on another thread the issue with the Cassandra dress for V4 of the middle panel stretching terribly (I was having this issue as well)  I decided to try and see what else I could do with.  I added subdivision and I convrted to Subd.  A  bit of an improvement right away but not enough to hide the stretching. I changed the smoothing type to Generic.  Another tiny improvement. Under smoothing iterations I upped the smoothing to 15, and upped the weight to .56, and the secondary weight to -.47 (it was - 50 something by default).  I upped the collision iterations to 25 and the collision smoothing interval to 3.  This went a long way to improving the stretching in the middle.  With the right pattern or with a single color shader this dress is fairly usable.  The blue and black mats that come with it, work much better now. In the first one with the pattern, the middle panel is the wider one in the front. the second one is with the blue mat that comes with it applied.  I realize that the lighting isn't the best, I am going to set up a better light so you can actually see the panel. I am headed to bed but will set it to render before I head off.

This is V4 Cassandra, Ladies Of The Court on Genesis 3 Female - Click to see it a larger resolutions - (and yes, her foot is in the sidewalk lol)

CASSANDRA LADIES OF THE COURT.png
    988 x 1600 - 2M
    CASSANDRA LADIES OF THE COURT bLUE.png
    988 x 1600 - 3M
    CASSANDRA LADIES OF THE COURT bLUE better light.png
    988 x 1600 - 3M

I realized that I had been missing the most important step when using the Dress Rig by Sickleyield.  Make sure you read the read me and use the transfer utility if you want to transfer the morphs that give the dress/skirt whatever, the sitting and kneeling morphs etc that the dress rig gives you. This is the single best reason to use the Dress Rig, it gives you a ton of extra morphs to use.  Anyway, don't try and skip generations either, do the transfer utility from V4 to Genesis (make sure you pick the V4 clone) and then move the new one up to G2F and then move it up to G3F etc.  Its a bit of a long process if you have a ton of stuff but well worth it just for the sitting and kneeling and wind morphs that you get out of it.

• NovicaNovica Posts: 23,859

This is V4 Cassandra, Ladies Of The Court on Genesis 3 Female - Click to see it a larger resolutions - (and yes, her foot is in the sidewalk lol)

This actually looks very pretty, has a nice flow to it.