The "OK, I had to go there" post...lol

We're not seeing a Victoria 8 or anything 8 anytime soon are we?

Although I am curious as to what more can be done to enhance an already superior product (but then again, I thought Genesis was a superior product...still do due to it's versatility).

Thoughts?

Comments

• zombietaggerungzombietaggerung Posts: 3,650

I honestly can't say for sure. All I know is unless Victora 8 and Michael 8 are actual androids that will go out, get jobs, and help pay my bills, I cannot imagine investing in Generation 4 in the near future.

• I'll settle for washing the dishes and doing the laundry...

• Dream CutterDream Cutter Posts: 1,222

Hmmm   "V8" might get lost in google results.  Some crafty new initials will be needed.

• nicsttnicstt Posts: 11,714

We're not seeing a Victoria 8 or anything 8 anytime soon are we?

Although I am curious as to what more can be done to enhance an already superior product (but then again, I thought Genesis was a superior product...still do due to it's versatility).

Thoughts?

No one who knows is saying.

There is evidence related to previous releases that strongly suggest a release as early as June. So there has been speculation based on that, but all us speculators are guessing, some of which is speculation (when based on evidence).

• tj_1ca9500btj_1ca9500b Posts: 2,047

V8 huh?  Does she have dynamic fuel injection?

• Genesis 4 is inevitable, but those that are truly in the know about it are more than likely under some kind of NDA.  There's always room for improvement in the current figures, but is it enough to warrant an entirely new generation?  I don't know.  I feel the things that would make the most improvement on a new figure would also require an advancement in Studio features to allow for more realism in clothing and hair, body hair, etc.

• AllenArtAllenArt Posts: 7,140

I too am sure there will be a Genesis 4 somewhere down the line. I have no idea when since I'm not in the loop about those things ;). Right now though, I can't imagine how they could improve on Genesis 3 in a measurable way that would make me invest in it. It would have to be pretty darn spectacular, and I'm thinking it probably wouldn't be spectacular enough.

Laurie

• JOdelJOdel Posts: 6,254

20/20 hindsight being what it is, I could see G4's advancement consisting of a lot of fine-tuning and minor improvements to what was introduced with G3. Nice to have, but only compelling in that any further development undertaken by DAZ itself will be fairly exclusively for the new figure bases. I'd expect that G4 probably won't introduce anything as disruptive as G2's restoration of the gender split, though. 

Looking back, there isn't really an obvious, compelling reason on DAZ's end to be eager to move on to a 4th iteration of the Genesis platform, as it stands, right now. Or, no more than there was to develop V4 beyond V4.2. The figure was widely accepted as it stood, and they could afford to let it hold the fort (for soimething like 5 years) while they worked on a complete overhaul of the whole paradigm of digital figures behind the scenes.

And Genesis itself was dependent upon the move from DS 3 to DS 4. Genesis didn't work in DS 3. I could quite easily believe that a G4 would be dependent upon developments made for DS 5. In which case, there is no real telling what the improvements would consist of, because it would be built for, and require, significantly different tech in order to work.

I do know that most of what people have been asking for, are things that aren't really that relevant to the underlying figure, but to the capabilities of the software, like better tech for the clothing and hair. I've no idea what DAZ is working on for the program itself. In 2010, it was reasonably evident that weight-mapping was going to be the Big New Thing, but apart from game compatibility, I don't have a clue as to what the industry considers imperitive now.

• TaozTaoz Posts: 9,735

You mean like eating when she's hungry?

AllenArt said:

I too am sure there will be a Genesis 4 somewhere down the line. I have no idea when since I'm not in the loop about those things ;). Right now though, I can't imagine how they could improve on Genesis 3 in a measurable way that would make me invest in it. It would have to be pretty darn spectacular, and I'm thinking it probably wouldn't be spectacular enough.

Laurie

The more perfect something becomes, the smaller improvements in each new version. Most products reach a peak where it's difficult to improve them much more unless some new and revolutionary technology is being invented. When they start to focus on superficial things in the ads like "now comes in different colors" (latest iPhone) it's a sign that a product has reached or getting close to a developmental peak. 

• ScarletX1969ScarletX1969 Posts: 587
    Taoz said:

The more perfect something becomes, the smaller improvements in each new version. Most products reach a peak where it's difficult to improve them much more unless some new and revolutionary technology is being invented. When they start to focus on superficial things in the ads like "now comes in different colors" (latest iPhone) it's a sign that a product has reached or getting close to a developmental peak. 

And yet, somehow, Office and the Adobe Suites keep getting upgraded...even when the features are not anything that average users care about.

• Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,560

My educated guess is  it will be only a matter of months. This is my speculative opinion only---but I think we are reaching the end of the Genesis 7 line. 

• wolf359wolf359 Posts: 3,764
    edited May 2017

Victoria 8 will be better than Victoria 7 because..Well ...8 is one number higher than 7.
    have you people never seen "This is spinal  Tap"??

Post edited by wolf359 on
  • AllenArtAllenArt Posts: 7,140
    wolf359 said:

Victoria 8 will be better than Victoria 7 because..Well ...8 is one number higher than 7.
    have you people never seen "This is spinal  Tap"??

Unless Genesis 4 goes up to 11, I'm satisfied with the current generation. LOL

Laurie

• SixDsSixDs Posts: 2,384

A new generation will be released whenever sales of products for the previous generation begin to flag, IMO. Only the shadow knows.

• wolf359wolf359 Posts: 3,764

"Unless Genesis 4 goes up to 11, I'm satisfied with the current generation. LOL

Laurie"

Well that  is my point 
    A higher version number and some clever maketing
    and the: ooh!! must have /me too/ mutual validation frenzy
    cycle will begin again.

It is just like Adobe or frankly Maxon Cinema4D.

I am still using Genesis 2 as my primary figure
    and likely wont be adandoning it any time soon.
    And now that I am a content developer the whole question 
    of  getting continued supprt with new content is  moot.

I would much rather see a better IK foot& hand contact system
    and a native Cloth system that Daz owns completely.

Taoz said:

And yet, somehow, Office and the Adobe Suites keep getting upgraded...even when the features are not anything that average users care about.

Yes, quite common with software.

• RCDescheneRCDeschene Posts: 2,799

Well, if the past two generational launches mean anything, Genesis 4 Female & Victoria 8 will be due in July. If this is the case, we're only getting one more pair official characters next month before the immidiate jump.

My only hope this time is that where Daz is no longer afraid to release whole couples in the same month, it may be possible that G4F & G4M will come at the same time.

• nicsttnicstt Posts: 11,714
    wolf359 said:

Laurie"

Well that  is my point 
    cycle will begin again.

+1

Yes there are improvements that could be made to G3; they pale into insignificance against the improvements that are desperately needed for cloth and hair.

• RobotHeadArtRobotHeadArt Posts: 911

Can anyone think of a major improvement DAZ could make to the Genesis line that would necessitate a new version?  As mentioned above, a lot of where the improvements are needed in the DAZ universe is in the DAZ studio tool itself, not really in the base figures.  Genesis 3's realism already way outpasses the realism of the clothing and hair for Genesis 3.  Here are just some random ideas...

FEM Muscle system
    - A volume conserving approach to bending, but I don't see this happening because it would make the weight mapped clothing ontop of the joints look even worse than it does today.  DAZ has shown little interest in adding any sort of dynamic solution to DAZ Studio so this seems unlikely

A new IK/FK system
    - Real pinning, no foot slipping, realistic posing.  Again this seems unlikely because they could have a new system support the existing figures and this is another area DAZ seems content with the current state of afairs.

• EtheralEtheral Posts: 91

If they can perfect the limb bending to fix the pelvis/genital region and armpits/shoulders then I'm all in.

Also splitting the body up into more and higher resolution textures. I want 8k textures for just hands and 8k textures for just feet. On a related note, I'm still waiting for the dream to come true when there is a realistic procedurally generated skin system that allows generating skins where you can zoom in to the cellular level.

• mindsongmindsong Posts: 1,693
    edited May 2017
    wolf359 said:

Laurie"

Well that  is my point 
    cycle will begin again.

you forgot to mention the imperative incompatiblity changes that invariably make the emotional 'keep up' game a logistic one as well. I'm happily using Genesis1, and have long-since let the game go by (bye). Although external add-on dynamic tools from other sites have caused me to spend inordinate amounts of money on older clothing products here at DAZ...

Upvotes for animation pinning and physics/dynamics - esp. cloth.

Cynicism (and market realities) aside, I love Spinal-Tap, and that's a favorite scene ("you don't *play* them...")

Thanks for the giggle,

--ms

Post edited by mindsong on
  • ScarletX1969ScarletX1969 Posts: 587

I think with Centaur 7 stuff, I'm done acquiring anything 7+.  It's too expensive an endeavor to keep up with this stuff.

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,586
    edited May 2017

...I was thinking dual Holly 4 barrels. ;-)

Post edited by kyoto kid on
  • kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,586
    wolf359 said:

Laurie"

Well that  is my point 
    cycle will begin again.

..hear hear.  Recently got SBP3 which finally makes G3F more useful as I can now create my own skins instead of having to buy them. 

G4 will usher in a reduction of content for G3 within a few months after introduction just as has happened with every previous Genesis interation..