Carrara Challenge #32 They Only Come Out At Night - WIP Thread - Meet Our PA Sponsor, GKDantas!

Comments

• UnifiedBrainUnifiedBrain Posts: 3,588
    edited April 2017

Uncle Humerus Tells Us A Bedtime Story

The inspiration for this was Creepy magazine from back in the late 60's and early 70's.  Done in a magazine format (to get around the Comics Code Authority), it was illustrated in black and white, and featured a who's-who of artists from that era - Steve Ditko (Spiderman), Frank Frazetta, Alex Toth, and Neal Adams (Batman) to name a few.

I used Anything Glows and Aura for the light globes.  Carrara fire for the candle light. The scene was composited on a plane, with the UH character posed in the foreground.  The wicker chair is a Carrara object.

No postwork.

This is the photorealistic version.  I'll post an NPR version later.

Important note:  No skeletons were harmed in the making of this image!

UH Story.png
    1800 x 1040 - 2M
    UH Story WIP.PNG
    1600 x 835 - 2M
    Post edited by UnifiedBrain on
  • VyusurVyusur Posts: 2,235

@UnifiedBrain, very impressive illustration in my favorite color gamma. The first thing I thought looking at your picture was one familiar creature. There is traditional Russian three-headed dragon in our fairytales, so called Gorynych, which I remember from my childhood. The main hero of one of those tales is called Ivan. He has to kill the dragon to rescue his stolen bride. The only possibility to kill this dragon is a magical sword Kladenetz which is hidden in some specific place with many obstacles. Ivan overcomes all those obstacles, finds and gets the sword, chops off all three dragon's heads and rescues his bride. Happy end!

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,930

The inspiration for this was Creepy magazine from back in the late 60's and early 70's.  Done in a magazine format (to get around the Comics Code Authority), it was illustrated in black and white, and featured a who's-who of artists from that era - Steve Ditko (Spiderman), Frank Frazetta, Alex Toth, and Neal Adams (Batman) to name a few.

I used Anything Glows and Aura for the light globes.  Carrara fire for the candle light. The scene was composited on a plane, with the UH character posed in the foreground.  The wicker chair is a Carrara object.

No postwork.

ha ha what a crack up!! 

• wgdjohnwgdjohn Posts: 2,634
    Diomede said:

Wgdjohn, could you give us some more details?  Very strange.  For the poses, are you using limits?  Could the arms have inadvetently gotten constraints turned on?  When you say you are using a G2F DUF file, do you mean that you saved the character out of Daz Studi raher than load the G2F directly out of Carrara. 

Of course I can... me thinks.  I loaded the G2F then clothing directly via Carrara not DS. Not aware that I might be using limits. No requester came up as in DS where I always "Turn Limits Off". You are right... "Very strange"... I just applied one of the many poses that I tried yesterday and it worked so I changed to a different pose and that worked also then tried another 2 poses and all seem to work. Note that this was in a new Medium scene onto a nekked G2F... I'm using the base figure as yesterday.  Another thing to note is that I did both via Smart Content for G2F under Files and the pose listed under Categories.  I found a poses folder in Content but there appeared to be nothing there.

G2F's clothing is Arcadia Rising which I added while in default T pose, Hair is Pixie Hair for G2F...  I can't find the SciFi corridor used.

I'm suspecting it to be Arcadia Rising outfit since it worked great without it... so will have to try with something else.  Note in 2nd pic I had Genesis 2 Female selected when trying to apply the pose.

G2_no corridor.png
    1366 x 768 - 218K
    G2_Arms_Wrong.png
    1366 x 768 - 285K
  • Bunyip02Bunyip02 Posts: 7,828

No postwork.

Excellent !!!!

• PhilWPhilW Posts: 5,139

Some really excellent and creative images being done for this contest - sadly I am unlikely to have the time to participate this time (and probably couldn't match the imagination of all the current entries anyway).

Vyusur said:

@UnifiedBrain, very impressive illustration in my favorite color gamma. The first thing I thought looking at your picture was one familiar creature. There is traditional Russian three-headed dragon in our fairytales, so called Gorynych, which I remember from my childhood. The main hero of one of those tales is called Ivan. He has to kill the dragon to rescue his stolen bride. The only possibility to kill this dragon is a magical sword Kladenetz which is hidden in some specific place with many obstacles. Ivan overcomes all those obstacles, finds and gets the sword, chops off all three dragon's heads and rescues his bride. Happy end!

Thanks, Vyusur!  Interesting about the Gorynych.  I was more thinking a Greek hydra, but it is similar.

HW and Bunyip02, thank you!  Glad it entertained.

PhilW said:

(and probably couldn't match the imagination of all the current entries anyway).

Yeah, right.laugh  I've seen enough of your work to know better.  That said, I hope you find the time to join in. 

edited May 2017
    MDO2010 said:

I'm not sure if I will have time to finish a second entry, but below is what I have so far.  Trying to model a relatively low-poly ninja so I can make a horde. I was inspired by someone's signature on another forum I frequent: "We forget today just how bad ninja related crime was back in the 1980's." laugh

I chopped the hands and face/eyes off of a figure made with Manuel Bastioni LAB for Blender, but everything else is made by me so far.

Sorry, I wish I had commented on this earlier.  Very nice use of theme, Mark!  A ninja is an "only at night" category that I had overlooked.  Hope you get it done.  Ninjas are pretty scarce these days.smiley

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,835
    PhilW said:

Some really excellent and creative images being done for this contest - sadly I am unlikely to have the time to participate this time (and probably couldn't match the imagination of all the current entries anyway).

it's amazing how the challenges have evolved over the years..

the WiPs are awesome and the final renders are whoahh... 

hope you find the time Phil

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,040
    Stezza said:
    PhilW said:

it's amazing how the challenges have evolved over the years..

the WiPs are awesome and the final renders are whoahh... 

hope you find the time Phil

Agreed about the evolution of the talent! New users, there is lots to learn from truly talented people!

One more day before voting opens!

Hey UB, thanks for doing such a good job of hosting this challenge - as Dart would say 'you rock' :)

UB,  head wax beat me to the punch... been meaning to mention what a great job you have done... looking forward to your next stint at hosting. yes

HW and John, thank you.  I really appreciate it.

In my next post, I add a new element to the Challenge - Meet the PA sponsor!

edited May 2017

In researching these Challenges, I learned that in addition to Daz being a sponsor, in most cases there was also a Carrara PA sponsor.  However, this has become hit-and-miss lately, so behind the scenes, I have proposed a way to keep Carrara PA's involved in every Challenge going forwards.  This post is part of that solution.

Meet The PA Sponsor!

The PA host for this Challenge is Marcelo Teixeira, otherwise known in the Daz marketplace as GKDantas.

Marcelo is a 3d artist and videographer from Sao Paulo, Brazil. 

Early in his life, Marcelo  wanted to shoot movies and create his own worlds.  However, he couldn't afford the essential camera equipment, so he shifted his attention to 3D.  Starting with an Amiga 500, he was soon exploring programs such as Imagine 3D and Real 3d.

Eventually Marcelo moved to PC.  He got fairly proficient on Lightwave, but he had to learn it on someone else's computer (Lightwave was not affordable, about $3000 at that time).   So he tried Blender and eventually entered the Daz world through the discovery of Hexagon.  At the same time he noticed that Daz had acquired something called "Carrara."  Making inquiries, he encountered Ringo Monfort, who gave him encouragement, and  introduced him to the Daz3D family.  It was the type of support he had always wanted, but had not found in other 3D communities.  With Carrara, he thrived, and soon became a Daz Professional Artist.

His Carrara products are varied.  Among them are GI domes (HDRI backgrounds), V4 toon shaders, V4/M4 ultimate skin shaders,  Scratch brushes for NPR and paint, SSS presets, and realistic leaves for Carrara trees.  He also designed an urban scene for Carrara called "The Corner in the Box," for setting up quick renders with your favorite characters.

Here are some of his wonderful renders which also illustrate many of his products:

And the one below shows his "The Corner in the Box" product, with some creative license!

Other renders are posted here:  https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/2298146/#Comment_2298146

From the very beginning, Marcelo had a desire to help others.  Even from his Amiga days, he reached out to other aspiring 3D artists in the Brazilian community, and helped them for free.

Today he has his own company, euQfiz, which translates as "I DID IT."  And yet, he continues to offer free support, and has created a huge number of Carrara video tutorials which are posted online.  Here are some links: (thanks Dart!)

Navigation and Control
    Navigating in 3D Space

Universal Manipulator

Knowing the Interface

Windows and Toolbars

Lights and Lighting
    Volumetric Light

Tube Lights - Before 8.5 light appearance changes

Spot Lights

Bulb Light

Distant & Ambient Lights

Sun Position (Realistic Sky)

Sky Light and Render Settings

Modeling and Modelers
    Model a Propeller

Modeling Exercise: Bottle - Part 1

Modeling Exercise: Bottle - Part 2

Symmetrical Modeling

Holes without Boolean Operations

Basic Dress Modeling

Tree Shape Editor in Carrara 8

How to Fill Polygons

Landscape Scene Wizard

Textures and Shaders
    Save Shader Channels

Shaders with Multiple Domains

Load and Save Shaders

Translucency

Glowing Lips

Shadow Catcher

3D Paint

Real Eyes for V4

Normal Map - Carrara 8 Exercise

Scene Effects
    HDRI Files and Carrara

Sun Position (Realistic Sky)

Working with Content
    Conforming Clothes in Carrara 6

Runtime Folder to Carrara

Fixing Poser Shaders - Part 1

Fixing Poser Shaders - Part 2

Working with Poser Content - Part 1

Working with Poser Content - Part 2

Groups, Nested Groups, and Hierarchy

Dynamic Hair
    Brushing Hair

Rendering
    Render Room Introduction

Sky Light and Render Settings

Translucency

Interface and Features
    Knowing the Interface

Windows and Toolbars

Navigating in 3D Space

Working with the Browser - Part 1

Working with the Browser - Part 2

Load and Save Scenes

Organizing Your Browser

Groups, Nested Groups, and Hierarchy

Nested Groups and IK Chain

OpenGL Hardware Accelerated Preview

Multiple Undo/Redo

Multiple Selection in Properties

Landscape Scene Wizard

Multi Threading

Animation
    Jumping Ball Exercise - Part 1

Jumping Ball Exercise - Part 2

Creating Clips

Import/Export
    Using p3DO Pro to make Carrara Thumbnails

Export from Carrara to Octane - Part 1

Export from Carrara to Octane - Part 2

Bullet Physics (Carrara 8+)
    Bullet Ball - Carrara 8 Exercise

Hardbody Basics for Bullet - Carrara 8 Exercise

Bullet: Forces - Carrara 8 Exercise

Bullet: Constrain - Carrara 8 Exercise

Bullet Exercise 2 - Carrara 8 Exercise

Bullet Physics Curtain - Carrara 8 Exercise

Bullet Physics City - Carrara 8 Exercise

Bullet Physics Water - Carrara 8 Exercise

Browse them all at Carrara Cafe

I want to add that Marcelo was very gracious in helping me compile all this information.  He is a straight-up guy, and if any of you ever have a question for him, he answers promptly.

Thank you Marcelo, for helping to sponsor this Challenge!

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,086
    edited May 2017

Thank you, Marcelo Teixeira.  Great respect for your work and your tutorials.  And thank you, UB. 

Time is running out, and this is where I stand on my PR project.  There is now a mansion/observatory up on the hill.  I put some grass to anchor the foreground trees (thank you, Headwax).   Unfortunately, I doubt I will get it finished in time.  I will post my progress anyway, and ask for suggestions, as always.  Still have to get the pitchforks and torches on the road, and some wing up in the moon around the observatory, and oo much other stuff to mention.

Mob WIP too late.jpg
    1740 x 1129 - 219K
    Post edited by Diomede on
  • DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,249
    edited May 2017

GKDantas (Marcelo Teixeira) ROCKS!!!

Post edited by Dartanbeck on
    Diomede said:
     Unfortunately, I doubt I will get it finished in time.

Pull an all-nighter.smiley  (easy for me to say)

Seriously, it looks great.  It would be a shame to not enter it.

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,249

I really wish I didn't have to leave - I'd work my arse off to submit something :(

I really wish I didn't have to leave - I'd work my arse off to submit something :(

So, I'll take that as a maybe. cheeky

At any rate, I figure the deadline is midnight, but I'm waiting till tomorrow to start the voting, so anything snuck in before tomorrow morning is good.

edited May 2017

GKDantas (Marcelo Teixeira) ROCKS!!!

ha ha yes, double that!

thanks GKDantas !!! :)

great renders too :)

Post edited by Headwax on
    Diomede said:

Thank you, Marcelo Teixeira.  Great respect for your work and your tutorials.  And thank you, UB. 

Time is running out, and this is where I stand on my PR project.  There is now a mansion/observatory up on the hill.  I put some grass to anchor the foreground trees (thank you, Headwax).   Unfortunately, I doubt I will get it finished in time.  I will post my progress anyway, and ask for suggestions, as always.  Still have to get the pitchforks and torches on the road, and some wing up in the moon around the observatory, and oo much other stuff to mention.

looks wonderful as it is - maybe just put one person in :)

Diomede said:

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,086
    edited May 2017

Thanks for the encouragement everyone.  Pretend that there is an angry mob right behind the camera with more pitchforks and torches.  wink

OK, so this is my photoreal entry.  I ran one render with a blue tinted distant light n order to illuminate the fog and clouds.  I ran another render in which the only lights were the moon (an anything glows object), the torch, and two spot lights by the mansion.  I then started a new scene, inserted a plane of the same dimensions, and mixed the two renders.  I ended up favoring the first render over the second 80/20.

As far as credited content goes, I've inserted an M4, Daz clothes, with Naomi hair.  There is also a fox by AM.  The moon's texture map uses a NASA moon image.

The lighting requirement is met with an anything glows object (the moon) and aura (also the moon).

mob wip cool light no distant at all.jpg
    1600 x 1038 - 153K
    mob wip cool light distant 20 no global.jpg
    1600 x 1038 - 174K
    Mob PR entry apil 2017.jpg
    1600 x 1037 - 108K
    Post edited by Diomede on

not only can I see them but I hear them as well yes

+1 GKDantas (Marcelo Teixeira) ROCKS!!!

Huge thanks for being a sponsor GKDantes yes  It's no wonder I have nearly all Marcelo (GKDantas) Teixeira's Carrara excellent content... he hails from the Amiga and used Imagine 3D there... goodness... that's where I started my 3D adventures.

Boulder Dash!

cool

• PhilWPhilW Posts: 5,139

Good on you, Marcelo - sounds like you have had a very similar journey into 3D to me!

And kudos to UB - great hosting of the challenge, definitely going above and beyond!

Stezza said:

Boulder Dash!

cool

You have certainly confused me.  I am a big Amiga Geek. laugh

Diomede said:

Thanks for the encouragement everyone.  Pretend that there is an angry mob right behind the camera with more pitchforks and torches.  wink

Glad you got it in, Diomede.  Great lighting!  Of all your work, it's one of my favorites.  For me, it looks more lonely and spooky with just the one guy.

PhilW said:

Good on you, Marcelo - sounds like you have had a very similar journey into 3D to me!

And kudos to UB - great hosting of the challenge, definitely going above and beyond!

Thank you, Phil.  You are one of the main guys here keeping the Carrara light burning.  I'm just doing what I can to chip in.