Novica & Forum Members Tips & Product Reviews Pt 8

Comments

• firewardenfirewarden Posts: 1,454

I'm about to read the commercial thread on the Scene Optimizer. I'm pretty sure I'll swing for it, although I truly wish the price were lower and that I hadn'tspent $11 on Tenero's Iray Memory Assistant recently, but too late to return.

• IceDragonArtIceDragonArt Posts: 12,548

I want to know this as well.  My laptop is really struggling, especially with Iray and I think this could be super useful, but not sure how useful if I can't figure out how it works lol.

• Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,552

okay, since i'm home sick, I'm buying it and testing it. We'll see how it goes. 

Not much in the commercial thread, but one person said, "In the time span of twenty four hours this has become the most wortwhile item I have purchased in some time." 

If I get it, I will probably grab Svanhilda for Genesis 3 Female to get a discount. Just wish they would lump more days together so the pickings weren't so slim when you need two items to trigger a discount.

So far, I'm testing it on an image  which I thought was cool last night but now think is rather over-exposed. But it will do for a tester.

This image rendered in record time of about 12 minutes. I'm re-rendering it now with full-sized textures to compare the two, and going for a hike. It should take about an hour to render.

• NovicaNovica Posts: 23,859
    edited April 2017

OT, but for those of you who are video gamers- The Nintendo Switch is an extremely hot item, and Out Of Stock almost every site. It was published that Best Buy and Toys R Us would get some in today (been sold out since March in our area for the most part, last shipment was 8 consoles. Gone in minutes online.) So I checked the store and sure enough, at midnight on, out of stock. So I check the store hours, 10am to whatever, and decided to get there at 9am and wait, hoping they'd have some in the store.

Lesson number one- Out of Stock online doesn't mean diddly squat. They had TWENTY EIGHT initially in the store!!!! They'd sold 10 in eight minutes. And...

Lesson number two- DO NOT BELIEVE THE STORE HOURS POSTED ONLINE. The store opened at 9am, NOT 10am. I got there at 9:08 (and as I said, 10 gone.)  I was the only one who hadn't been waited on- walked right up to Customer Service and got my two- my sons each bought one! 

So if you are looking for Nintendo Switch, yes, Best Buys all over the US got them today. So did Toys R Us, and do not go by the online tally. They have them in the stores!

Post edited by Novica on
    Novica said:

OT, but for those of you who are video gamers- The Nintendo Switch is an extremely hot item, and Out Of Stock almost every site. It was published that Best Buy and Toys R Us would get some in today (been sold out since March in our area for the most part, last shipment was 8 consoles. Gone in minutes online.) So I checked the store and sure enough, at midnight on, out of stock. So I check the store hours, 10am to whatever, and decided to get there at 9am and wait, hoping they'd have some in the store.

Lesson number one- Out of Stock online doesn't mean diddly squat. They had TWENTY EIGHT initially in the store!!!! They'd sold 10 in eight minutes. And...

Lesson number two- DO NOT BELIEVE THE STORE HOURS POSTED ONLINE. The store opened at 9am, NOT 10am. I got there at 9:08 (and as I said, 10 gone.)  I was the only one who hadn't been waited on- walked right up to Customer Service and got my two- my sons each bought one! 

So if you are looking for Nintendo Switch, yes, Best Buys all over the US got them today. So did Toys R Us, and do not go by the online tally. They have them in the stores!

Thanks for the info! I'm going to go pick up the daughter unit and run to Best Buy if she still wants one.

Can I say I am grateful that my son is now old enough to buy the newest and bestest himself lol (26)

edited April 2017

Okay, I am going to say that I very much like Scene Optimizer and it is worth every penny.Total thumbs up.  It was also really pretty easy to use on default setting.yes   I don't usually give rave reviews but this product is great.

Here are two images. Yes, they are over-exposed, but just something to test.

First image, took 1 hour 16 minutes, and I stopped it at 99% done because I just couldn't deal with it.

Second image took 12 minutes and 18 seconds.

Same image, just with mildly tweaked arm position.

DAZ Studio should integrate a texture optimization feature into its next build. This would certainly help a lot of people.

A onehour16minutess.png
    1600 x 1300 - 4M
    B twelveminutes18seconds.png
    1600 x 1300 - 4M
    Post edited by Serene Night on
  • L'AdairL'Adair Posts: 9,479
    Odaa said:
    As for the centaur itself, I found it easy to work with and the couple of centaur poses that I tried (from Capsces's set) worked fine. I didn't explore Daz's Hides options very thoroughly, just tried the materials from Raw's Rogan on it, mostly because all the griping about Rogan being an "all or nothing" option made it sound like not even the materials would work.

I think the "all or nothing" complaint with Rogan comes from the fact the Rogan morph and his materials do not support G3M without the centaur body.

I haven't played with the character yet, but I assume you can use the Rogan morph on any centaur. And the Rogan materials can be used on any centaur regardless of which G3M figure/character you've dialed in. But what you can't do, and I'm sure is part of the griping, is use the Rogan "horse" materials with just any G3M materials. RawArt has overlapped the human skin onto the horse materials, and the horse transition onto the human torso material.

Although, if you're covering up the transition with wardrobe anyway, I see no reason you can't use just the horse materials from Rogan... And they are so much better than the included Horse 2 materials!

I am curious about scene optimizer. I would like to try it but the price is a bit high and I'm not sure how steep the learning curve is on it? Anyone bought and used it?

I wishlisted it for now. I want to see what others have to say about it before I buy. Plus, money is really tight right now, so if I do splurge on anything else for the next week or so, it will be Skin Builder Pro 3!

L'Adair said:

I am curious about scene optimizer. I would like to try it but the price is a bit high and I'm not sure how steep the learning curve is on it? Anyone bought and used it?

I wishlisted it for now. I want to see what others have to say about it before I buy. Plus, money is really tight right now, so if I do splurge on anything else for the next week or so, it will be Skin Builder Pro 3!

I hope there is a skinbuilder for the gents  They sure can use it. Right now,. I don't need any more stuff for genesis 3 female especially with genesis 4 female almost upon us. 

L'Adair said:

I hope there is a skinbuilder for the gents  They sure can use it. Right now,. I don't need any more stuff for genesis 3 female especially with genesis 4 female almost upon us. 

Oh, dear God, I hope you're wrong! I am not going to invest in yet another generation of figures. And once G4 is released, the support for G3 will diminish and support for G2 will dry up altogether.
    crying

edited April 2017

My needs for female characters are relatively low. And I will qualify this as saying Genesis4 female being out soon is my very educated guess. But they are scraping the bottom of the Gen 3 barrel with Centaur releases. It can't be too much longer. 

Zevo has stated she will not be doing a G3M skin builder. Her reasons are in the commercial thread.  I would think that if you had the UV swap for G3M and G3F you might be able to do something for the guys but I don't have it so I don't know if its feasible.

Okay, I am going to say that I very much like Scene Optimizer and it is worth every penny.Total thumbs up.  It was also really pretty easy to use on default setting.yes   I don't usually give rave reviews but this product is great.

Here are two images. Yes, they are over-exposed, but just something to test.

First image, took 1 hour 16 minutes, and I stopped it at 99% done because I just couldn't deal with it.

Second image took 12 minutes and 18 seconds.

Same image, just with mildly tweaked arm position.

DAZ Studio should integrate a texture optimization feature into its next build. This would certainly help a lot of people.

Wow! That's awesome. Thanks for the info.

On another note, the daughter unit says she's waiting on the Switch until they've uncovered and corrected all the bugs. Wallet is safe for now.

Zevo has stated she will not be doing a G3M skin builder. Her reasons are in the commercial thread.  I would think that if you had the UV swap for G3M and G3F you might be able to do something for the guys but I don't have it so I don't know if its feasible.

That thread is way too long. I'm not reading all that just to find out why wink But I'm sure people will like the skinbuilder product. Zev is an excellent PA and makes quality content. It may be possible to put the skins on G3M, but eh, I spend a lot of time adapting women's content for the men and I seem to rarely like skin products to begin with so I'll pass unless I get it very cheap.

Wow! That's awesome. Thanks for the info.

On another note, the daughter unit says she's waiting on the Switch until they've uncovered and corrected all the bugs. Wallet is safe for now.

So far, the product has saved me literally hours. Every possible thing has such high res textures these days. One benefit too is the ability to not be bogged down with high res textures in my view port. Love not having a piece of clothing make it tough to rotate the screen.

I believe this skin builder took like 6 months and is the only thing she produced in that time.  And she wants to concentrate on what she loves to do and does best which is making morphs (paraphrased from thread lol). 

edited April 2017

That makes sense. Zev makes some great morphs, in fact, some of the most useful morphs I've purchased have been Zev's.

• DestinysGardenDestinysGarden Posts: 2,549
    edited April 2017

Thanks for the review SereneNight. Time is money and every little helps.

Zev0 is most definately a very handsome young man.

Edit: dang I wish had the spare money for a Nintendo Switch and/or the spare time to actually play video games at the moment. 

Post edited by DestinysGarden on

oops lol.  Sorry I generally have no idea if some vendors are men or women lol.  Unless its obvious I'm generally clueless.  Will remember for the future though!

Thanks for the review SereneNight. Time is money and every little helps.

Zev0 is most definately a very handsome young man.

Edit: dang I wish had the spare money for a Nintendo Switch and/or the spare time to actually play video games at the moment. 

LOL I know the feeling- I don't even know what some of these consoles look like anymore. The Switch demo on YouTube cracked me up- where the guys are milking the cow, standing facing each other, in one of the mini games. Mario Kart 8 was released today so my sons scooped that up (not Zelda fans)  Today is my son's birthday so it was perfect timing on the arrival back in the store. @DestinysGarden  - we love that you're busy, means more goodies for us. 

@serenenight   Thanks for the experiment with Scene Optimizer, that will really help people. 

edited May 2017

Oh I am ticked, I didn't buy it and they removed Polish's Old West Saloon items and Daz_Steve said it was likely not returning. What the heck?  I was gone shopping this morning so didn't buy it, and now...???? 

Anyone buy it? Is it still in your product library? (And I'd be downloading that sucker before they pull it.)  Great set from the looks of it.

Edit: Daz did the right thing by pulling it. Please see other western towns in the store, they're very nice too.

Post edited by Novica on

I have old West Saloon, Saloon Action, Saloon Interior. Is that what you are thinking of?

edited April 2017

No, the bundle, new release! And the items separately (the props, the poses, the building.)  By Polish. (Edit- and obviously, wasn't free.) 

Post edited by Novica on

Ah, saw that this morning. Wonder why it is gone? Seems a shame to publish than pull it.

• jakibluejakiblue Posts: 7,281

@Novica, PM'ed you. :)

edited April 2017

Yeah, kinda of a pain for those of us that didn't have time to really shop until later in the day. I probably would have just left it wishlisted, but gee, I'd have liked the chance to decide. Okay, being selfish and self-centered. And VERY curious why it was pulled.

Post edited by firewarden on
  • DestinysGardenDestinysGarden Posts: 2,549

@Novica-you'll like the thing I've got going. For some stupid reason this texture artist decided that the mane (tail, fetlocks) for the Daz Horse 2 were totally unsatisfactory, so she accidentally modeled a mane (don't tell her she doesn't know how to model, she forgot that part and did it anyway) and is rigging (also a first) and texturing it now.

@Novica-you'll like the thing I've got going. For some stupid reason this texture artist decided that the mane (tail, fetlocks) for the Daz Horse 2 were totally unsatisfactory, so she accidentally modeled a mane (don't tell her she doesn't know how to model, she forgot that part and did it anyway) and is rigging (also a first) and texturing it now.

Can I just say I love you?  LOL!  Can't wait for this!  Love all your stuff I have yet to see one single product from you that I didn't this was outstanding.

This discussion has been closed.