Apparently the DAZ Install Manager is about ready

MKeyesMKeyes Posts: 466
edited December 1969 in The Commons

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XHIbKCIe-PU&feature=em-uploademail

Okay... someone please tell me... WHAT is this? I've looked all over for this - Googled it... nothing. What is this guy using and how come I've never seen it before?

Is it something we can download and use? Buy to use? Help with our content? What... ? There is one for Mac users as well... sooo, okay, someone, please explain. IF I need this, I want it. Otherwise... what is he talking about?

Yes, I know it's surrounding content and installing it to show up in CMS... but without that installer... what's the point?

Comments

• FobokFobok Posts: 96
    edited December 1969

They just uploaded it, so I imagine we'll hear more about it later today.

As to the point, I think it's so when we buy new content, especially in big bundles, we don't have to download a bunch of installers and install each one one-at-a-time.

I'm hoping it works for reinstalling old content too. I have so many Daz installers that it'd likely take me days to reinstall everything if I ever had a system failure or bought a new PC.

• RAMWolffRAMWolff Posts: 10,146
    edited December 1969

Just got a note from YouTube showing me a how to install vid.

So the question I have for DAZ is ..... if our Downloadable list is filled with installer information but we have already downloaded and installed does the manager know this somehow and will not pester us to re-download and install these?

http://youtu.be/jE5C5w4ha_M

• JimmyC_2009JimmyC_2009 Posts: 8,891
    edited December 1969

Have a look at this one : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XHIbKCIe-PU

You need to uninstall any content you have first.

• larsmidnattlarsmidnatt Posts: 4,511
    edited December 1969

Have a look at this one : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XHIbKCIe-PU

You need to uninstall any content you have first.

Another reason I wouldn't use this. Glad its coming finally, will make a lot of people happy.

edited February 2013
    Post edited by RAMWolff on
  • BejaymacBejaymac Posts: 1,838
    edited February 2013

I don't have a lot of bought content, most of what I have is freebies or stuff I've made myself, so this is one pile of garbage I wont be touching with a ten foot pole.

Post edited by Bejaymac on
  • larsmidnattlarsmidnatt Posts: 4,511
    edited December 1969

RAMWolff said:

Good to know, thanks. Still going to stay away though.

edited February 2013

According to the video DAZ has a NEW designated Content folder location.... don't know why they did this but it's:

C:\Users\Public\Documents\My DAZ 3D Library

Post edited by RAMWolff on
  • MKeyesMKeyes Posts: 466
    edited December 1969

Aaaah, I see. I back up my runtime. For instance, I have a 2 tr external drive and I've saved my current runtime to it - it took 12 hours for all the content to backup to it, but if my computer crashes, no biggie. If I buy a new computer, no biggie, unless it's a Mac that is. But in any case, I just copy the runtime and paste it into MyLibrary... it takes a few hours to transfer everything - but I can walk away or go to bed. When i wake, it's done. And then I have Daz search for it. WHICH by the way, it can do as well instead of transferring it all into Daz Studio's MyLibrary - it can find it and you just use it from there.

There are many options...

• Chris BarnesChris Barnes Posts: 67
    edited December 1969

Yeah I saw that appear when i installed the latest DS. Why don't they just stick with the Studio/My Library?

• Dumor3DDumor3D Posts: 1,316
    edited February 2013

Deleted

Post edited by Dumor3D on
  • adamr001adamr001 Posts: 1,322
    edited December 1969

More information about the Install Manager can be found here http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/16099/ as well. It may answer some questions.

• anikadanikad Posts: 1,919
    edited December 1969

Given the amount of time I've just spent installing the stuff I bought since christmas there is no way I'm wasting my time uninstalling and reinstalling my entire daz file just so I can use this.

edited December 1969

RAMWolff said:
    Just got a note from YouTube showing me a how to install vid.

So the question I have for DAZ is ..... if our Downloadable list is filled with installer information but we have already downloaded and installed does the manager know this somehow and will not pester us to re-download and install these?

http://youtu.be/jE5C5w4ha_M

Not to my understanding. Anything NOT downloaded by the Install Manager will be required to be RE-downloaded if you want the Install Manager to manage things. However, it will happily install over existing installs and ignore (not change) any custom categorization/metadata.

IF you've moved things around inside of their relative paths (e.g., moved an item from "pose/bob" to "pose/joe"), it'll just install it in the original path and you'll end up with duplicates.

edited December 1969

Merging duplicate threads. :)

edited December 1969

anikad said:
    Given the amount of time I've just spent installing the stuff I bought since christmas there is no way I'm wasting my time uninstalling and reinstalling my entire daz file just so I can use this.
    Not required. It will automatically install over things as needed. Again, unless you've moved things inside of their default relative paths there are no issues other than bandwidth usage and time.
  • DAZ_SpookyDAZ_Spooky Posts: 3,100
    edited December 1969

It is highly recommended that you use Install Manager to download content and install to a clean directory. It is not required, but it is definitely recommended.

I made a mistake when I was testing Install Manager the other day. I installed a handful of files to the wrong directory. I had about 2000 products installed at the time, I decided to ignore most of the tools and simply uninstalled everything, then re-installed everything to the correct places. It took less than 3 hours (Your mileage may vary.) and I wasn't tied to the computer while it worked.

As for the default directory, as already pointed out, that more correctly agrees with the EULA, but if that location does not suit your needs, you can choose a different location.

• Mari-AnneMari-Anne Posts: 363
    edited December 1969

I am assuming we will need to add the new location of My Library in the Public folder under Current Directories in D|S 4.5's Content Directory Manager once we start downloading to the new location? In both Daz Studio formats as well as Poser formats? And if so, can the new Public/My Library path go last or should it go as the first location?

edited December 1969

Mari-Anne said:
    I am assuming we will need to add the new location of My Library in the Public folder under Current Directories in D|S 4.5's Content Directory Manager once we start downloading to the new location? In both Daz Studio formats as well as Poser formats? And if so, can the new Public/My Library path go last or should it go as the first location?
    If all your DAZ3D Content is going to be there, that is better being the first ones.
    edited December 1969

adamr001 said:
    Merging duplicate threads. :)
    And catching me replying to a post. LOL
    edited December 1969

Mari-Anne said:
    If all your DAZ3D Content is going to be there, that is better being the first ones.

No - I was not planning on uninstalling/reinstalling the existing content. Just use the new path for new content.

edited February 2013

Mercedesk said:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XHIbKCIe-PU&feature=em-uploademail

Okay... someone please tell me... WHAT is this? I've looked all over for this - Googled it... nothing. What is this guy using and how come I've never seen it before? Because while it has been hinted at in the past, it has not yet been released. I would hope you didn't find much on it. (I would have to yell at someone. LOL)

Is it something we can download and use? Buy to use?

Not yet.

And I am going to only answer one more of your questions, if you have more than 10 content items from DAZ, you want it. :)

Post edited by DAZ_Spooky on
    edited December 1969

Mari-Anne said:
    Mari-Anne said:

No - I was not planning on uninstalling/reinstalling the existing content. Just use the new path for new content.Try it first before you make that decision. :coolsmile:

• FobokFobok Posts: 96
    edited December 1969

I'm definitely getting it as soon as it's available. (Or, as soon as I can afford to if it costs money.) I'm happy I won't have to reinstall all my content, but I would if I had to, it'd be worth it to me. I hate having to install things one at a time.

• DigitalDiva76DigitalDiva76 Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

So when this is released, this will work with any item from daz no matter how old... ? Will all content now have smart content too?

Is there anyway of uninstalling, or removing all content at once and starting fresh without having to click every individual products uninstall. If I just uninstall daz and the content manager, etc... and delete my current content folder will that work for a fresh install? or what else is needed to clean it all out in one big go...

Will support just reset an entire order history if requested vs. having to go through every product individually?

edited December 1969

Mari-Anne said:
    Mari-Anne said:

No - I was not planning on uninstalling/reinstalling the existing content. Just use the new path for new content.Try it first before you make that decision. :coolsmile:

Hi again - I noticed this topic was nicely covered in one of the new Install Manager youtube videos. It wasn't available the first time I tried to watch it. Probably too many viewers a while ago. So for anyone with the same question, this video explains it very well. Thank you!

edited December 1969

So when this is released, this will work with any item from daz no matter how old... ? Will all content now have smart content too?

Is there anyway of uninstalling, or removing all content at once and starting fresh without having to click every individual products uninstall. If I just uninstall daz and the content manager, etc... and delete my current content folder will that work for a fresh install? or what else is needed to clean it all out in one big go...

Will support just reset an entire order history if requested vs. having to go through every product individually?

The entire catalog isn't quite converted, but we currently have the newest 10,000 DS and Poser products done. (We are all the way back to Victoria 4.) I can't tell you when it will be complete, but it won't be long.

Once you get all your products, you can unmap your old directory, reset your database and reimport your metadata. (And delete the folder if you wish.) Or if you decide to, you can unmap the directory, reset your database then start the process with Install Manager. Since not all the content is ready, quite yet, it depends on how much of YOUR catalog is ready as to which way you do that.

You will not need to reset your order history, the software handles that for you.

• Proxima ShiningProxima Shining Posts: 969
    edited December 1969

I wonder when this Install Manager downloads stuff, does it download multiple files at once, or only one file at a time? Because if it is the latter, it will take A LOT of time before it downloads everything it should. Let´s say I buy a bundle with many items - if it downloads only one file at a time, it will take twice or three times more time to download the whole bundle. And I don´t want to start to think about how long it would need if I wanted to re-download my whole itemized history...

Also, what happens to the ZIP files that were downloaded and their content was already installed into My Library? Will they stay in the place in which they were downloaded and just unnecessarily occupy free space on my hard drive? What if I want to copy them to external drive as a back-up and delete them from the hard drive? Would that be possible, or would it mess up the Install Manager?

Furthemore, what I still not quite get - if all EXE installers will be moved to ZIPs, why do we need an Install Manager? We should be able to unzip (=install) the ZIP files into My Library in the traditional way, without using Install Manager (and even unzip multiple files at once) - or is there some trick which makes this difficult/impossible?

• frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,349
    edited December 1969

I downloaded and install just over 600 packs in a matter of an hour, hour and a half

• DaWaterRatDaWaterRat Posts: 2,882
    edited December 1969

Mari-Anne said:
    Mari-Anne said:

Sorry. That doesn't work.

Tell us why this is the best thing since sliced bread. something more than "You'll love it" And not just the Damn videos. I can't stand video tutorials, and if that's all the explanation you're giving, then you may as well be giving none, because I won't go watch them.

I'm Sorry, but I absolutely Hate it when all we get is "Try it, you'll like it" and "We highly recommend you use it this way" without any decent explanation as to why this is "better" than installing it myself and organizing it myself. "Easier" isn't a good answer, because (as we saw with the default DS4 interface fiasco. Or am I the only one who remembers that?) what's easier for the programmers at Daz isn't necessarily easier for me. (See video tutorials, which don't match how I learn.)