By Candle Light (commercial)

Comments

• KhoryKhory Posts: 3,854
    edited December 1969

Lovely renders! Like the reflection one very much. Heatherlee what set did you use for the alcoves? I really like that look.

Ostadan, I didn't test them in reality so I am doing that now. So far I would say "reasonably well". But then I am only middling good with reality. I think the lighting on the candle is best replaced by a mesh surface light on the flame. And you may need a spare mesh light in there that is a pale yellow because the candle setting was giving me a really red render. On the other hand I could have just been being impatient. Also changed the candle surface to translucent matte and that seems to be looking pretty good. Lastly the stick would need a proper reality metallic but that is an easy fix. If it all goes south as I render more then I'll let you know.

• HeatherleeaHeatherleea Posts: 247
    edited December 1969

Thanks Khory, that is an oldie but a favorite Spa of Juturna a plat club item.

edited December 1969

I even have that!

• scorpioscorpio Posts: 8,312
    edited December 1969

Heatherlee your renders really explore some of what these lights can do.

A quick experimental one here, the drip is post worked in.

candles2.jpg
    848 x 1200 - 186K
    edited December 1969

Lovely render scorpio64dragon. She looks absolutely unearthly.

• Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,559
    edited December 1969

nice idea holding the candle. Going to have to try a render like that. Looks good. May have to buy this!

edited December 1969

I did a couple of test renders with reality. And yet again it becomes clear that I'm just not super good with it. Using the candle flame as a mesh light worked. But it seems really bright to me at the candle tip but not really strong enough to light the scene alone. The render I am posting also has a mesh light angled to cast a bit more candle light because I thought I had turned down the candle flame a fair bit. At any rate, I'm sure someone who has a clue could get much better results than I did.

candle_test.png
    500 x 650 - 397K
  • HeatherleeaHeatherleea Posts: 247
    edited December 1969

scorpio64dragon wow this is beautifully done!

• IppotamusIppotamus Posts: 1,578
    edited December 1969

Could not resist this, and I really did try.
    Hopefully get to dive in later tonight.

edited December 1969

Could not resist this, and I really did try.

Is it bad that I am not sad you failed? If it is any consolation I am sure your going to enjoy playing with it.

edited December 1969

This is awesome!
    It is so much more than I expected. :)

I was just curious if there is a read-me file somewhere?

• SimonJMSimonJM Posts: 5,945
    edited December 1969

Damn ... knew I should not have looked in here .... now I'm going to have to get this set! ;)

edited December 1969

SimonJM said:
    Damn ... knew I should not have looked in here .... now I'm going to have to get this set! ;)

You really do.
    Trust me.

I was going to do a "quick render" but it was turning out so incredibly wonderful that I had to stop and fix all the stuff that I suddenly cared about.

• ArtiniArtini Posts: 8,773
    edited December 1969

Excellent render, scorpio64dragon.

edited December 1969

I like this set, but has to find out how to use it at its best. Below is my try.
    Freak 5 (ro)bot(ified).

candles04pic01.jpg
    1000 x 1000 - 232K
    edited December 1969

Thanks for the compliments.
    Cool render Artini.

I made the candle invisible in this one and just used the lights.

candles3.jpg
    848 x 1200 - 220K
    edited December 1969

Thanks, scorpio64dragon. All of your renders is such a great inspiration and very nice to look at them.

edited December 1969

I was just curious if there is a read-me file somewhere?

Here is a link to the PDF- http://docs.daz3d.com/lib/exe/fetch.php/public/read_me/index/15656/15656_bycandlelight.pdf

and the readme- http://docs.daz3d.com/doku.php/public/read_me/index/15656/start

edited December 1969

Good render Artini. Glass and chrome can be a pain to deal with sometimes but those both look good.

scorpio64dragon, that last render is really spectacular. The color and lighting are just perfect for that moment.

edited December 1969

Thanks a lot, Khory. I have tried to render similar scene with your Uberenvironment lights (from the second row),
    but Studio crashed twice after over an hour of rendering (3Delight error in the crash log).
    Have to test it again with slightly different scene to confirm, if it is a real bug in Daz Studio Pro 4.5.1.56

edited December 1969

Thanks a lot, Khory. I have tried to render similar scene with your Uberenvironment lights (from the second row),
    but Studio crashed twice after over an hour of rendering (3Delight error in the crash log).
    Have to test it again with slightly different scene to confirm, if it is a real bug in Daz Studio Pro 4.5.1.56

Was it a new scene or one created in an older version? Seems like I had trouble with a couple of old scenes. But I can't remember if that was before or after I fixed my install (I had issues!). Let me know what happens with the new scene or if you try the lights as just ambient (top set). If its the scene then I don't know how to sort it out really. If it is the uberlights then the scene combo with the AO may just be too much. This happens to me sometimes when I get a bit carried away with to many surfaces and reflections and refractions and..stuff.

edited January 2013

Thanks for the answer, Khory. Good to know that it happens not only to me.
    It was the new scene created in Daz Studio Pro 4.5.1.56.
    With the ambient (top set) the rendering finished without any problem.

Post edited by Artini on
    edited December 1969

My guess then is that the AO was just over taxing your system. It is not friendly about transparency and so forth (read all the fun stuff). It can make a big difference sometimes... And then there are other times I don't think it matters at all.

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

Khory said:
    My guess then is that the AO was just over taxing your system. It is not friendly about transparency and so forth (read all the fun stuff). It can make a big difference sometimes... And then there are other times I don't think it matters at all.

3Delight is funny about AO...there's about half a dozen ways to do it and some are much more intensive/costly (processing power) to do it and it seems DS/Uber tends to be one of the more costly ways. Also scene elements (geometry, type of geometry, transmapped items and so on) all have a major impact when doing AO.

And yeah, it can make a difference but many times not enough of one to justify the added time/memory/processing power it takes.

edited December 1969

And yeah, it can make a difference but many times not enough of one to justify the added time/memory/processing power it takes.

I think it has the most impact in renders where there is not much shadow to start with or if there is loads of pale surfaces. I sometimes get the feeling that people think no render will be complete without AO. I tend to be a bit less patient though and am far more likely to use ambient lighting.

edited December 1969

Love this set.
    Love the read me too.
    But this set is simply amazing.
    Finally finished that "quick" render.

http://ippotamus.deviantart.com/#/d5tduls
    Only post-work was a smidgen of film grain.

edited December 1969

Ippotamus, I really love that render. The ambient glow on her upper chest is just perfect with that lighting and the bowl looks wonderful.

edited December 1969

I think, I have found the reason for the crash on the computer where I have Daz Studio reinstalled from the previous 4.5 version.
    It looks like the reinstall does not clean up the previous version efectively.
    I have made a test on the second computer where the Daz Studio Pro 4.5.1.56 was installed for the first time
    and the renders finished ok without a crash, even when using Uberenvironment lights from the second row.
    I have used "By Candlelight" "Additional Light Uberlights" preset "Moonlight Bright" and two "Votive Medium" candles.
    I have compared a render made without this "Moonlight Bright" and besides the longer rendering time (25% more) and slightly
    difference on the candle glass, both renders looks identical.
    Below is the render that took longer time to complete it.

Freak5sc05pic01.jpg
    1000 x 1000 - 302K
    edited December 1969

I'm wondering if he is about to set the table for a romantic dinner with a silver lady.

I think, I have found the reason for the crash on the computer where I have Daz Studio reinstalled from the previous 4.5 version.

The install I had trouble with was wonky because it did not ask to uninstall the previous version. The new install would crash but the old one still worked so I didn't have to deal with it initially. I've done an uninstall and reinstall to sort it all out since then.

I have used “By Candlelight” “Additional Light Uberlights” preset “Moonlight Bright” and two “Votive Medium” candles.
    I have compared a render made without this “Moonlight Bright” and besides the longer rendering time (25% more) and slightly
    difference on the candle glass, both renders looks identical.

The additional lights (with AO and just ambient) is more for fill or ambient light in a scene. For example, if you go outside sometimes at night there is still some available light around you even if your not in direct moonlight. There may be situations where you want a brighter moonlight than even the bright moonlight loads with. You can just nudge up the intensity until the areas away from the candle (say the other end of a garden path as example) are lit the way you want them. And don't forget that rather than do tests of the whole scene you can do a patch test with the spot render tool so you don't have to wait for a big render to check light levels in various places.

edited December 1969

Artini said:
    Thanks, scorpio64dragon. All of your renders is such a great inspiration and very nice to look at them.

Thank you that is a very nice thing for me to hear.

Thank you too Khory.
    I've always had trouble getting candles and lights to look right this product makes it so easy.

candle-mage-1.jpg
    1000 x 707 - 135K