Linwelly's Grove

Comments

• LinwellyLinwelly Posts: 5,795
    edited April 2017

He looks great and I look forward to the story!

Thanks a lot Sonja, story will be told mostly over at my dA Site, as it will for King Aerics tale. 

I've been meaning to post this all day long yesterday but cloudflare hated me so now I can post this next little peace from King Aeric, well not yet King in this one.

This is Iray almost no postwork... everything I tried made it look worse, so i decided it must be ok like this. I managed to get the light setting as I wanted. So young Aeric has a disagreement with his father.

Dissent.png
    2000 x 1600 - 6M
    Post edited by Linwelly on
  • IceDragonArtIceDragonArt Posts: 12,548

I will keep an eye on Deviant Art then for sure.  I haven't been able to get over there as much as I usually do lately but am trying to keep up lol.

Looks like a fairly serious argument...The body posture is excellent

• KnittingmommyKnittingmommy Posts: 8,191

Wow! Nice renders, Linwelly.  I have to admit that I still occasionally have the dreaded headlamp problem.  It happens to all of us at one time or another.  I really love how this last image turned out.  Very nicely done!  :)

edited April 2017

Thank you both a lot, I am quite happy with how this turned out an I admit that I find myself rather often in front of a mirror looking at myself posing this or that was... its embarassing at times. But after I put this up for the public my head kind of exploded with all the possibilities to go on with the story.

Now for something different again, I had an interesting conversation with @Mustakettu85 over at dA which gave me a ton more of insight into our render systems, made me play with the tonemapping for the one above in Iray on the one hand (which was a huge learning experience for me) and now I finally took the next step for 3deligth and yused linear workflow concerning gamma corrections, so I pulled out my chinese lady again and applied it to her and this is the result, remember there is the original 3delight version nopostwork and the Iray version, no postwork. so quite a difference and I really like the result, but it comes with some work to control all the maps for the correct gamma value.

Linear workflow- 3delight render

3delight- without gamma correction

iray

Ng-mui-linear.png
    2500 x 1406 - 5M
    Ng_mui_Iray.png
    2000 x 1125 - 3M
    Ng_Mui.png
    2000 x 1125 - 3M

The technical stuff makes my head spin lol. I force myself to learn it though but the list is so long I'm not sure I'll ever get through it.  I get a handle on one thing and two more things pop up that i need to learn.

I tend to look poses up on google if I am having issues with posing. I type in for example *sitting on a horse poses* and it pulls up a huge amount of reference photos, and I scroll through the list til I find something that looks like what I need.  I do use my own hands for posing though.

The technical stuff makes my head spin lol. I force myself to learn it though but the list is so long I'm not sure I'll ever get through it.  I get a handle on one thing and two more things pop up that i need to learn.

I tend to look poses up on google if I am having issues with posing. I type in for example *sitting on a horse poses* and it pulls up a huge amount of reference photos, and I scroll through the list til I find something that looks like what I need.  I do use my own hands for posing though.

LOL, yes it is a challenge to concentrate on the technical stuff, and Kettu just knows a ton about that.. I made a spreadsheet from everything we spoke about so I might remember what was what later

well I admit its hard to look up yourself in the mirror for a horse riding pose... though I can look at my kids doing it once a week, but google helps a lot, thats true. The things I do in the mirror are really mostly the body language things like the conflict going on between father and son, so I go and feel into that situation and then look at what I do.... Also I did a lot of deforming to give daddy an off regular face and now its not even remarkable becaus we see only one side, meh! Will have to give daddy some more screentime somewhen.

• Mustakettu85Mustakettu85 Posts: 2,933

Oh wow, hi Linwelly :) Resident killjoy here. The forums sent me an e-mail (!) notification you mentioned me. Glad you managed to put what I was saying to good use.

• SzarkSzark Posts: 10,634

hey Mustakettu85 without your explaination of Gamma correction sometime ago I would still be scratching my head. Some of us listen, well read and take it in. :P

Oh wow, hi Linwelly :) Resident killjoy here. The forums sent me an e-mail (!) notification you mentioned me. Glad you managed to put what I was saying to good use.

haha, not killjoy, lets say resident enzyclopedia of render knowledge, and yes, yes I know the magic to let people get emails LOL, but that is only the start of all, I#ll try to ijmplement more and more on the way. I found that I will never manage all at one but a little bit with ervery bit I render will get me somewhere in the end.

edited April 2017

That gegesis 2 sale hit me harder then I expected but I finally got the Rune armor from Arki which I have loved for too long, I just admire the organic feel this has.. So that needed to go into a render and this is what happened. Some fae with an insectoid armor..or is it part of her? I dont know. She wouldn't say

This is 3deligh with a little postwork, and a lot of work to get all the durfaces complying with the linear workflow.. still tedious but it works for me, I like the result

Defence.png
    1414 x 2000 - 5M

Wow looks great!

edited April 2017

Thanks a lot Sonja, I say the work paid of for that one.

Doing some tests and experiments with stuff I collected, here is the Medina souk in the Alley scene https://www.daz3d.com/alley-scene with Jazmine ( morphed a bit ) with the african headwear.

I was testing around with changes in the tonal Mapping and environmental settings to get the light to the right setting. The efford I made to get the floor of that alley dirty was a bit wasted as that is not showing, LOL. For the medina Souk, while the details on the fruit and the like is increadible I was a bit sad about the low resolution in the wood settings of the markes stall. I tried making a Bump/displacement map which added a bit of surface detail but overall I have seen nicer wooden surfaces.

The other thing I was trying was to use colour as compositional tool working with the yellow orange environment and opposing the bluegreen on her clothes. I tend to make my renders too monochromatic, too much of one colour palette so I try to use that a bit more consiously.

morning-market.png
    1000 x 800 - 1M

Really like the point of view and the DOF in this one and the lemonade stand is a cute addition!

I love that image.  I agree with Sonja. DOF is really effective.  Nice job!

• DarwinsMishapDarwinsMishap Posts: 4,072

That is really well done, Sonja.  I agree with the DOF-just enough to not blend away the background and bring focus to your main character.  I also agree with the disappointment with the low resolution of textures on some of the minor props.  You may want to try selective PBR shaders (there are quite a few out there) on the problematic areas by using your Material Selector in the top bar of the Studio scene for the exact props/materials that are issues rather than searching through the Scene list to try and find it.  You may be happily surprised.  Mec4D has a few wood textures, though I do not believe any of them would be the same type of wood needed for the table and supports.  Give it a try, you may be surprised. :)

That is really well done, Sonja.  I agree with the DOF-just enough to not blend away the background and bring focus to your main character.  I also agree with the disappointment with the low resolution of textures on some of the minor props.  You may want to try selective PBR shaders (there are quite a few out there) on the problematic areas by using your Material Selector in the top bar of the Studio scene for the exact props/materials that are issues rather than searching through the Scene list to try and find it.  You may be happily surprised.  Mec4D has a few wood textures, though I do not believe any of them would be the same type of wood needed for the table and supports.  Give it a try, you may be surprised. :)

Thanks a lot Darwin (even if I'm not Sonja, that IceDragon LOL) I tried a round a bit with procedural shaders for the wood but none of those I own made me happy, but yes my collection fo Iray shaders still is rather limited. I've been oogeling at those shaders by Mec4D for some time now so I guess I need to keep my funds toether for those. General problem I come across with Iray surfaces and shaders is that they got a miserable displacement, something I think works much better in 3delight. Probably the reason why the Iray surfaces go back to using normal maps after all... I probably should  learn to make normal maps for my surfaces as well.

...oh, I'm sorry!  Go me for typing before waking up?  

They can be made with the nvidia plugin for photoshop rather easily.   I use the plug in regularly for my characters

They can be made with the nvidia plugin for photoshop rather easily.   I use the plug in regularly for my characters

No worries, I usually need my typing pill so anybody can read what I type, no matter the time of the day.

Then I need to look if I can make that plugin work with gimp. I have seen a tutorial somewhere how to make normal maps with gimp I just never bothered until now.

Linwelly said:

No worries, I usually need my typing pill so anybody can read what I type, no matter the time of the day.

Then I need to look if I can make that plugin work with gimp. I have seen a tutorial somewhere how to make normal maps with gimp I just never bothered until now.

There's a plugin for Gimp that I like using for that called Insane Bump.  It makes all kinds of maps including normal maps.  I just found that there was an update and now there is Insane Bump 2, but I haven't installed it yet to give it a try.

• @Linwelly I can highly recommend all 3 of the @Mec4D PBS shader packs.  I have all 3 and they work magnificently.  I'm still waiting for Vol. 4 she was supposed to release last year for wood but we haven't heard from her for a long time now.  Even her twitter feed hasn't had any posts since last August...

I would be happy to take credit lol!  Its a lovely piece!

• Mustakettu85Mustakettu85 Posts: 2,933

*waves to Szark*

Linwelly said:

I finally got the Rune armor from Arki which I have loved for too long, I just admire the organic feel this has.. So that needed to go into a render and this is what happened. Some fae with an insectoid armor..or is it part of her? I dont know. She wouldn't say

So awesome. I've told you already I'm jealous of your creativity, but I will again. In public.

I'm jealous. Wish it could be a learnable skill.

Linwelly said:

This is 3deligh with a little postwork, and a lot of work to get all the durfaces complying with the linear workflow.. still tedious but it works for me, I like the result

Shouldn't be that much work once you get used to it, I guess. The main thing is watch out for opacity maps and if there are diffuse maps used as bumps (incredibly common in Poser-times content, hopefully not as common in DS-only stuff).

But then I always redo all the materials (and often half the textures LOL) and don't consider it "much work". So I might be different in that regard LOL

• MN-150374MN-150374 Posts: 923
    edited April 2017

A very good source for textures with corresponding Normal Maps are the free Pixar Library 128 and the free Pixar Library 130.

Another very good source for all kind of textures with Normal Maps are Yughues aka Nobiax Free Texture Packs at ShareCG. Those textures were made into DAZ Studio Iray Shader Presets by Kaz42 in the Freebie Forum. ( Warning: That download file there is huge, near 2 GB. )

Post edited by MN-150374 on
    Linwelly said:

There's a plugin for Gimp that I like using for that called Insane Bump.  It makes all kinds of maps including normal maps.  I just found that there was an update and now there is Insane Bump 2, but I haven't installed it yet to give it a try.

Thanks a lot for the pointer to that one, looks very useful!

@Linwelly I can highly recommend all 3 of the @Mec4D PBS shader packs.  I have all 3 and they work magnificently.  I'm still waiting for Vol. 4 she was supposed to release last year for wood but we haven't heard from her for a long time now.  Even her twitter feed hasn't had any posts since last August...

I remember she had some things happening the year before, so I hope she is well after all.  I have been dancing around those shader packs for some month now I think.. had them in the cart alread during MM but then decided for.. I don't remember, but there is too much cool stuff so all that money is well investet.

MN-150374 said:

A very good source for textures with corresponding Normal Maps are the free Pixar Library 128 and the free Pixar Library 130.

Another very good source for all kind of textures with Normal Maps are Yughues aka Nobiax Free Texture Packs at ShareCG. Those textures were made into DAZ Studio Iray Shader Presets by Kaz42 in the Freebie Forum. ( Warning: That download file there is huge, near 2 GB. )

How cool is that! I have the 128 pack from Pixar and have used it several times but I didn't klnow they put out a second one for free use, seems like some very useful things in there. Seems the free time on the weekend will be well spend with downloading usefull stuff. Thansk for that as well

*waves to Szark*

Linwelly said:

I finally got the Rune armor from Arki which I have loved for too long, I just admire the organic feel this has.. So that needed to go into a render and this is what happened. Some fae with an insectoid armor..or is it part of her? I dont know. She wouldn't say

So awesome. I've told you already I'm jealous of your creativity, but I will again. In public.

I'm jealous. Wish it could be a learnable skill.

Linwelly said:

Shouldn't be that much work once you get used to it, I guess. The main thing is watch out for opacity maps and if there are diffuse maps used as bumps (incredibly common in Poser-times content, hopefully not as common in DS-only stuff).

But then I always redo all the materials (and often half the textures LOL) and don't consider it "much work". So I might be different in that regard LOL

Thanks !ou Kettuheart, I'm blushing nowblush, but I think creativity is just mostly there when I don't try to restrict myself and just play around with stuff and let things happen, when part of my brain zappes out. The backdraw is, when I'm too tired or stressed out its gone.. those are the times I would need it the most to stay sane...

You are right regarding the efford it takes for the linear workflow, it gets faster when I know what to look for and just make it part of the preparetion ofr render instead of doing it inbetween.

edited April 2017

I just added my first entry to Zev0s SB3 contest, having too much fun with that. You can really see in this view but she is a fishhead ...

called it green surprise, and its rendered in Iray, some postwork

green_surprise.png
    2000 x 1600 - 5M

Very cool!

fun with Marshians impossible objects:

invasion.png
    1500 x 1200 - 3M

both are very nice, well done with them!  I really like the DOF in the Impossible Objects render.

edited May 2017

both are very nice, well done with them!  I really like the DOF in the Impossible Objects render.

Thanks a lot Darwin and Sonja, those skins are fantastic, I will have to try them in 3delight  and I will have to try that importing my own overlay maps into that. Now for thr impossible objects I'm sure there will come up some more soon.

Now I stumbled over a strange problem. I finally got Stonemasons dirtshader https://www.daz3d.com/daz-studio-dirt-shaders, but I'm missing the dirt or rather the last step of progressive rendring ( all this is 3delight) will wash all the dirt clean again..? I stopped a render in the middle of the last turn for progressive where you can see the finished part on top and the lover part still in progress. So everything nice and dirty gets cleaned up in the last turn...how come?

Out of a whim I tried to turn off progressive next and loo and behold, the box stays dirty.. I'm baffeld.

Now I haven't used 3delight without progressive in like forecer and once in a while I try something I have the impression that progressive gets more detail and renders faster, so I#d rather have my progressive back but a dirty box as well, any ideas, all the brilliant technical people here?

dirtshaderbox.png
    800 x 800 - 549K
    dirtshaderbox-working.png
    800 x 800 - 494K