By Candle Light (commercial)

KhoryKhory Posts: 3,854
edited January 2013 in Daz PA Commercial Products

By candle light is a set of prop candle sticks with attached lighting so you get the look of candle light with ease. There is a wide selection of candle sticks with styles that range from antique to very modern. For added flexibility there are also material files to change the color of the candles and shader presets that can change the look of the candle sticks themselves. There are also additional uberlight files in two versions so that you can easily have the ambient light that candles cast around the room.

http://www.daz3d.com/environments-props/lighting/by-candle-light-for-daz-studio

Post edited by Khory on

Comments

• ameesa001@gmail.com[email protected] Posts: 282
    edited December 1969

Wow Khory, these look gorgeous, and are already in my cart. I won't be able to play with them for a few days though, my PC bit the dust, and the laptop I use doesn't have the power I like for rendering.

• KhoryKhory Posts: 3,854
    edited December 1969

Thank you Ameesa. Sorry to hear about the computer, that always bites. I've just recently invested in a lap top for the first time. It is about as "powerful" as my main computer but the screen stinks for actual rendering. I think your really going to love this set. I'm sure I should not admit this in public but I spent way to much time doing test renders and making that "squee" noise when they finished and I liked how they looked.

• jakibluejakiblue Posts: 7,281
    edited December 1969

these look awesome! great idea! wishlisted for now (only cos i'm dead broke LOL) but will be picking up asap. :D Looking forward to seeing some renders here!

• M F MM F M Posts: 1,388
    edited December 1969

I liked the look of them but...

... there wouldn't happen to be some "part-way burnt down" morphs in the works, would there? (^/\^)... something to make them look like they've been burning for awhile (runnels of wax down the sides, random splodges on the holders), rather than just freshly lit for dinner? ;-)

edited December 1969

I liked the look of them but…

... there wouldn’t happen to be some “part-way burnt down” morphs in the works, would there? (^/\^)... something to make them look like they’ve been burning for awhile (runnels of wax down the sides, random splodges on the holders), rather than just freshly lit for dinner?

Not this time. I did actually have some drippy candles modeled but they didn't work properly with the translucence mapping that I used to give the candles the look of actually being lit.

• ArtiniArtini Posts: 8,528
    edited December 1969

Looks very nice, but will be awesome if it will have morphs or add on
    for wax drops and liquid wax materials just under the flame on the candle.
    How long are the rendering times?

• ByrdieByrdie Posts: 1,751
    edited December 1969

Says this has a DSON core installer, does that mean I can import them into Poser 9/ PoserPro?

edited December 1969

Render times go up depending on the number of lights and reflective surfaces. And of course if you use the uberlight with AO It goes up again. That is part of why I included a group of uberlights that are just ambient with no AO.

I really did try some alternate shapes for candles. But they simply didn't work properly with the translucence.

• Dr StupidDr Stupid Posts: 313
    edited December 1969

Brilliant idea, and I'm sure a well executed product, which has gone straight in the wish list to be purchased as soon as the dosh is available! Like others I agree that some kind of drippy wax add-on would be a great idea.

• M F MM F M Posts: 1,388
    edited December 1969

Thanks Khory (^_^)/... I'll get them anyway, for early evening scenes.

edited December 1969

Says this has a DSON core installer, does that mean I can import them into Poser 9/ PoserPro?

In theory and sort of. The sad reality is I don't own poser 9/pro so couldn't test it to see what need to be sorted. My tentative answer would be to not get it (lord do I hate saying that to anyone ever!) because I'm afraid to much would have to be fiddled with like the lights and possibly surface settings.

• DaWaterRatDaWaterRat Posts: 2,882
    edited December 1969

Khory said:
    I liked the look of them but…

... there wouldn’t happen to be some “part-way burnt down” morphs in the works, would there? (^/\^)... something to make them look like they’ve been burning for awhile (runnels of wax down the sides, random splodges on the holders), rather than just freshly lit for dinner?

Not this time. I did actually have some drippy candles modeled but they didn't work properly with the translucence mapping that I used to give the candles the look of actually being lit.

Just say they're the evaporating safety kind. ;)

edited December 1969

Just say they’re the evaporating safety kind.

Funny you would say that. But I couldn't find a candle in the house that actually dripped when I was doing the initial modeling. I am sure my family thought I was slipping working on this product. I would light a candle and go into a room with no windows so I could see how much light they cast and how far out the light actually went.

• JOdelJOdel Posts: 6,247
    edited December 1969

Gorgeous. One question; the flames? are they strictly on/off, or can you pose them (like the flame is being blown sideways from a draft)?

• ByrdieByrdie Posts: 1,751
    edited December 1969

Khory said:

In theory and sort of. The sad reality is I don't own poser 9/pro so couldn't test it to see what need to be sorted. My tentative answer would be to not get it (lord do I hate saying that to anyone ever!) because I'm afraid to much would have to be fiddled with like the lights and possibly surface settings.

Thanks. I do have Studio as well, so it's not like they're a total bust for me. Wishlisting for now, between Freak 5 and renewing my PC membership I'm probably gonna be eating noodles for a long time to come. Assuming the vet bills don't clean me out first. :sigh:

• HeatherleeaHeatherleea Posts: 247
    edited January 2013

Awesome lights and easy to work with, going to be a favorite of mine.

rendevous.jpg
    1304 x 1493 - 120K
    candleslighthair1a.jpg
    1511 x 1052 - 103K
    Post edited by Heatherleea on
    edited January 2013

JOdel.. I just did not even think about wind. But, I did a wee test with a d-former to see how hard it would be to yank it over a bit. I scaled the field down to 225.5 and just tapped it over a teeny bit at the top.

I also kept track of render time. This one was right at 7min. I used the ambient uberlight because that hair is absolutely dire with ao (yes I do need to get that hair shader or at the very least set up a preset to prevent raytracing on hair). The candle in the scene was left as it loads (raytraced shadows because I get sad results with mapped any more). I also keep meaning to mention that I didn't have to make surface adjustments to any of the skin settings. That is actually pretty rare for me.

edit! forgot dumb picture!

wind_test.jpg
    500 x 650 - 173K
    Post edited by Khory on
    edited December 1969

I like both of those renders Heatherlee but I especially like the second one because I just never would have thought of it myself.

• K T OngK T Ong Posts: 483
    edited December 1969

Those candlesticks are admittedly lovely, but how about a candelabra, too?

edited December 1969

I've really been on the fence about what to do next. I really love the idea of light that works realistically like these candles do. But I didn't really see much more that could be done with candle sticks without people thinking I was just being redundant. I didn't really think of a candelabra to be honest. I've tinkered with some ideas for lamps and toyed with some concepts for outdoor lighting but because I wasn't sure about the market for products like this I've sort not been sure if it was a good idea.

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

Khory, you said you tried several things for making drips, but didn't like them very much...did you try baking some normal maps?

I've been playing around for the last hour or so, in Blender...and I've come up with a candle mesh that has some nice drips, but to get them the poly count is through the roof. Great for single item renders, but once you put a couple of them in a scene it really weighs it down...now using that high poly model to bake a normal map may be an answer...also normal maps shouldn't interfere with the 'base' settings (translucency and such...should be fine as they are).

edited December 1969

It wasn't just the pollies that were an issue (though the ones I had done with lovely uneven tops and drips were just craaazy) it was getting the translucence to do properly at the top. If there were shifts in hight/width of the mesh along the top it made the translucence go all funky. When I started sorting out what I had there were originally several different candles with more "stuff". I got really variable and often unsatisfactory results on the translucent. The time consuming part on this project wasn't the modeling or surface settings. It was fiddling with things to get the candles to "glow" like they do when they are lit and having that glow gradated so that there wasn't one level of translucence for the whole candle. I didn't even think about normal maps and so forth because I was obsessing to much about the candle wax. And if that doesn't make me sound a bit odd nothing ever will.

• JOdelJOdel Posts: 6,247
    edited December 1969

Heh! A pity that the puddles and drips can't be done as separate props to add onto the current smooth candles. Put puddle in place, add candle, add drips to candle. Nothing to be done about the uneven tops, but if the puddle doesn't match exactlym all it means is that somneone stuck a new candle where the old one was without clearing out the old wax.

edited December 1969

A couple more, one even without candles just using one of your uber settings, lots of versatility, love it!

house.jpg
    850 x 852 - 51K
    corsaircandlelight.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 828K
  • scorpioscorpio Posts: 8,300
    edited December 1969

I love these lights, this is the same image but with a different uber light and the candle in a different place.
    The candle is from a different set

Chess1.jpg
    1200 x 848 - 167K
    Chess2.jpg
    1200 x 848 - 427K
  • Zev0Zev0 Posts: 7,039
    edited January 2013

Wow..this set is beautiful. Sooo many uses..

Post edited by Zev0 on
    edited December 1969

A pity that the puddles and drips can’t be done as separate props to add onto the current smooth candles.

Puddles wouldn't be strongly effected by the light on the tip so they might be doable. I'm not sure about the drips because of matching the surface to surface thing or how the light travels. Studio can be strange about light traveling. I'm suspecting that a normal or displacement map might be the way to go but have not tried yet.

I really love that house Heatherlee. And the lighting on the guy looks really cool. Sort of wishing I had done a little lantern now. Love the lighting comparison scorpio64dragon. Not sure which one I prefer though. Maybe the top one by just a scootch.

Thank you Zev0

• scorpioscorpio Posts: 8,300
    edited December 1969

Thanks Khory I couldn't decide which one I prefered either.

Heres another example of the lights this one uses one of the candle and candle sticks provided

at-the-window1candles.jpg
    848 x 1199 - 177K
    edited December 1969

Keep the renders coming, its inspiring to see how other people are using these lights, heres a couple more from me.

soj.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 804K
    candleroom.jpg
    1500 x 1504 - 571K
  • OstadanOstadan Posts: 1,123
    edited December 1969

How do these play with Reality/Lux?