Stonemason Contest

Dan WhitesideDan Whiteside Posts: 497
edited December 1969 in Bryce Discussion

I see Stonemason's models in a lot of Bryce images (in a few if mine as well) and I noticed that he has a image contest. The grand prize is his entire model catalog(115 models!).
Link here:
http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/15430

Comments

• Waleed - JordanWaleed - Jordan Posts: 0
    edited February 2013

I hope the prizes goes to the professional Artists that they present real and modern and new ideas in CG 3d Art
    As I will not participate in this contest but this didn't prevent me to present my hopes to all who will participate in this contest and I say to them if you introduce a new ideas in our art that walk side by side with our World civilization and futuristic ideas ......
    good luck for all who will participate in this contest ......

Post edited by Waleed - Jordan on
  • ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

I see Stonemason's models in a lot of Bryce images (in a few if mine as well) and I noticed that he has a image contest. The grand prize is his entire model catalog(115 models!).
    Link here:
    http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/15430

Thanks for highlighting this here Dan. I was thinking about doing it myself as well.

It is a great contest, and a wonderful prize list for those of us who do use imported models in our renders.

Stonemason does some really cool models.

• HoroHoro Posts: 10,069
    edited December 1969

Thanks for the link, Dan. That my be something I'll participate.

• silk_99cfbbf5d0silk_99cfbbf5d0 Posts: 38
    edited December 1969

One of these days, I may start contests on my website. Its been quite a while since I did any judging, I kind of miss it.

Good luck to all that enter StoneMason's contest...

• Rashad CarterRashad Carter Posts: 1,798
    edited December 1969

Sounds Yummy. Off to see what I already own of his. He does amazing work!

• LordHardDrivenLordHardDriven Posts: 937
    edited January 2013

It occurs to me that if a bryce render using some of the advanced lighting options of Bryce were to win this contest that could concievably attract a whole bunch of new users to Bryce since Stonemason's work is so well known and so widely popular.

Post edited by LordHardDriven on
    edited December 1969

I am hoping we will get a few Bryce renders entered. I know I will enter, although I don't think I have any chance of winning, it's the taking part that counts.

edited December 1969

Participating is more important than winning. I'm working on participating.

• FirstBastionFirstBastion Posts: 7,220
    edited December 1969

Agreed, simply posting exceptional Bryce made renders showcasing Stonemason's models into the contest thread will generate interest from forum viewers, because in the end everyone wants to create better art. Show them what can be done with Bryce.

• JasmineSkunkJasmineSkunk Posts: 1,862
    edited December 1969

Yes, thank you!! I would have missed it in the commons!! (Since I tend to glaze over stickies for some reason....I really should try to look at those once in awhile!)

edited December 1969

chohole said:
    I am hoping we will get a few Bryce renders entered. I know I will enter, although I don't think I have any chance of winning, it's the taking part that counts.

I don't know Pam, I gather what's really going to determine the winner is artwork that pops. To me artwork that pops is artwork that is creative and makes the viewers mind go beyond the image. I think you have that ability. Maybe you won't get a top prize but I'd be surprized if you didn't get any of the prizes.

edited December 1969

Agreed, simply posting exceptional Bryce made renders showcasing Stonemason's models into the contest thread will generate interest from forum viewers, because in the end everyone wants to create better art. Show them what can be done with Bryce.

You're right, I shouldn't have said win, in my original comment, whether a Bryce image wins or not isn't really important but if Bryce 7 Pro's abilities get shown off to the extent I've seen many members of this forum capable of then I think it will definitely make a few people say, "whoa, I didn't know Bryce could do that, I better look into Bryce more."

edited January 2013

Well I took the bull by the horns and put an image up http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/15430/P105/#230432

Post edited by Chohole on
  • Dave SavageDave Savage Posts: 2,433
    edited December 1969

Looking good Pam, some great light and shade and the light beams are very atmospheric.

I've posted a render too: http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/15430/P120/#230645

edited December 1969

Very nice, Pam. Good idea TheSavage. Here's my first entry: http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/15430/P120#230724

• David BrinnenDavid Brinnen Posts: 3,136
    edited December 1969

Pam, oooh, I like that and not a pastel shade in sight! All that lovely contrast.

Dave, an imaginative and striking image, you talented devil you!

Horo, the fish-eye lens works so well in this scene I'm going to try and cook something up for this contest too using that! What a good idea. It adds an almost Escheresque quality to the bridges and buildings as the twist and overlap one another in what now looks like a non-Euclidean space. Very cool! I'm going to try and throw in an impossible DOF effect to mine for good measure - could take a while to render though...

edited December 1969

How long do you call a long time David. Mine took 7hrs 45 mins

edited December 1969

chohole said:
    How long do you call a long time David. Mine took 7hrs 45 mins

Quick = less than a five minutes
    Normal = up to an an hour
    Longer than normal = up to three hours
    A while... = up to twenty four hours
    Long = up to three days
    Very long = up to three weeks
    Never again! = longer than three weeks with a powercut at 90% complete - yes I'm still bitter about that...

edited December 1969

Horo, the fish-eye lens works so well in this scene I'm going to try and cook something up for this contest too using that! What a good idea. It adds an almost Escheresque quality to the bridges and buildings as the twist and overlap one another in what now looks like a non-Euclidean space. Very cool! I'm going to try and throw in an impossible DOF effect to mine for good measure - could take a while to render though...

Thank you David! I have now all three variants ready, just working on the doc. You should get the stuff hopefully still today.

edited December 1969

Horo said:

Thank you David! I have now all three variants ready, just working on the doc. You should get the stuff hopefully still today.

I chose a warm orange in contrast to your predominantly cool blue palette. http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/15430/P135/#231206

I really like the distortion effect of the Fisheye Lens - such a relief from the tyranny of the rectilinear camera perspective.

• IanTPIanTP Posts: 1,326
    edited December 1969

You guys are so talented, did everyone use the Daz/Bryce bridge, I've had some issues with missing geometry, tho have not yet used it with the latest Daz build. :)

edited January 2013

You guys are so talented, did everyone use the Daz/Bryce bridge, I've had some issues with missing geometry, tho have not yet used it with the latest Daz build. :)

Thanks Ian!

I did use the Bridge but... I used it between an earlier version of DS and an earlier version of Bryce. Not because I anticipated problems, that just happened to be point I bridged this over. As far as possible I try to avoid using DS unless I absolutely have to because it infuriates me so much with it's (to me) impenetrable interface and counter-intuitive controls. I'm sure it's a fine piece of software in the right hands, but clearly mine are not those hands.

Post edited by David Brinnen on
    edited December 1969

I didn't use the DS bridge, as I don't use DS. I exported an OBJ from Poser and then used that in Bryce. It takes a little more setting up in Bryce because some things like transparencies don't show at all, and have to be applied manually, and although the bump maps do carry over, the setting has to be tweaked.

• Dave SavageDave Savage Posts: 2,433
    edited December 1969

Like Pam, I don't use Daz Studio either and as such, don't use the bridge.
    I also just import .obj files and usually re-map all textures to Bryce procedurals.

With most of Stonemason's models I think that would be counter productive because he textures his stuff up so well and the devil in the detail would be really difficult to reproduce with procedurals, but the freebie I used was ideal for Bryce textures.

• bombenleger58bombenleger58 Posts: 99
    edited December 1969

I did use the Bridge from DS3 to Bryce 6.3 and save the Scene. Open and Render in Bryce 7.1 Pro.

edited December 1969

I did use the Bridge from DS3 to Bryce 6.3 and save the Scene. Open and Render in Bryce 7.1 Pro.

Exactly. That's why I still have Studio 2.3 for Bryce 5.5, Studio 3 for Bryce 6.1/6.3 and Studio 4.5 for Bryce 7.1. One of those combinations usually works. (Never uninstall a working program!)
  • FirstBastionFirstBastion Posts: 7,220
    edited December 1969

Horo said:

Exactly. That's why I still have Studio 2.3 for Bryce 5.5, Studio 3 for Bryce 6.1/6.3 and Studio 4.5 for Bryce 7.1. One of those combinations usually works. (Never uninstall a working program!)

Those are Words of truth!

edited December 1969

Ok, I have my second entry up and now I have nothing more to do until next year :) http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/15430/P150#231771

edited December 1969

Horo said:
    Ok, I have my second entry up and now I have nothing more to do until next year :) http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/15430/P150#231771

Well done, seems we were thinking along similar lines, I'm rendering one which uses Deep Space HDRI 1 right now. Don't know if it will be done rendering today though...

edited December 1969

Thank you David. Mine took a while. Darn soft shadows were noisy and I had to re-render at a higher setting. I did it on the slower i3 over the night and it finished in 13 hours.