I solicit your comments about voting and the awarding of prizes in the Carrara Challenge

Comments

• wgdjohnwgdjohn Posts: 2,634

Silene.... wonder how it would look with brown tops and Gold, Sterling silver, Bronze then Blue bottoms... hmmm

• SileneUKSileneUK Posts: 1,969
    edited April 2017

Testing... back in a bit.

wgdjohn said:

Silene.... wonder how it would look with brown tops and Gold, Sterling silver, Bronze then Blue bottoms... hmmm

Yep.... I can see that might be better... will have a whirl with one of them. Back later!  yes S

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

OK I changed the bottom shaders... but am having a big problem with the cap.

I  have attached my nuts and the four shaders in a zip file (gold/silver/bronze/blue) and hope someone might have a go and doing the cap and stem? I am getting weird results...they pick up the glow from the metallic shaders and I am not clever enough to sort it. Maybe the nut bottom should be a separate piece and not one object with three shading areas?

Am a bit busy for the next few days... younger stepson is off to Africa to accompany a film guy to Rwanda and the Congo... a bit nervous about this, but the film guy is well connected there. Fingers crossed!

zip
    zip
    Nuts.zip
    5M
    Post edited by SileneUK on
  • VyusurVyusur Posts: 2,235

I like nuts!

Vyusur said:

I like nuts!

Me, too... runs in the family... a relative on my mum's side started this company in Boston LOL  cheeky Silene

http://www.squirrelbrand.com/history/

• MarkIsSleepyMarkIsSleepy Posts: 1,496

I really like the acorns but also kind of feel like maybe it should be something more closely related to Carrara, like a terrain or a spline or that horn that's in the preset scenes or something.  Just throwing that out there - don't want to derail the progress so far.

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604

When they decided to give Award badges for the Bryce Challenge over at rendo, they actually made designing the award the subject of a render challenge.

I quickly put a scene together with the DAZ Tri Logo.  It uses all procedural shaders, gold, wood and marble.  I tilted the cam a bit so that it would have a 3D appearance.  I included a reflective dome I'd made along with the floor and wall.  There are 3 lights shining on the logo only and two more for the scene.  The base, vertical sextagon, and logo are all modeled by myself and can easily be changed... I'm already wanting to make the entire base a gold color and the vertical plac a different shader.

Wonder if I can do away with floor and wall and render on a solid white, greeen or blue background to make transparent.

Where on earth did Silene get those cool letters?  Hmmm... perhaps I'll model those myself. :)

Award_Gold_01.png
    800 x 800 - 1022K
    edited April 2017
    wgdjohn said:

I quickly put a scene together with the DAZ Tri Logo.  It uses all procedural shaders, gold, wood and marble.  I tilted the cam a bit so that it would have a 3D appearance.  I included a reflective dome I'd made along with the floor and wall.  There are 3 lights shining on the logo only and two more for the scene.  The base, vertical sextagon, and logo are all modeled by myself and can easily be changed... I'm already wanting to make the entire base a gold color and the vertical plac a different shader.

Wonder if I can do away with floor and wall and render on a solid white, greeen or blue background to make transparent.

Where on earth did Silene get those cool letters?  Hmmm... perhaps I'll model those myself. :)

Oh I like that.Really cool!

The font is  Galant from dafont (free).  Closest thing to the Carrara style I could find. The Carrara is the actual logo name that I vectored.   yes Silene

http://www.dafont.com/galant.font

Chohole said:

When they decided to give Award badges for the Bryce Challenge over at rendo, they actually made designing the award the subject of a render challenge.

Great idea/info Chohole... perhaps it could be the next Carrara Callenge... #33. 

• UnifiedBrainUnifiedBrain Posts: 3,588
    edited April 2017
    MDO2010 said:

I really like the acorns but also kind of feel like maybe it should be something more closely related to Carrara, like a terrain or a spline or that horn that's in the preset scenes or something.  Just throwing that out there - don't want to derail the progress so far.

Nothing to derail.  Good suggestion, thanks.  We are just throwing out ideas.  Bound to be pretty diverse, considering we are a diverse lot. smiley

Chohole said:

I suggested that earlier in the thread.  But nothing wrong with getting a head start.:)

wgdjohn said:

I quickly put a scene together with the DAZ Tri Logo.

Nice, John.  You are getting very skilled.

Silene, great nuts! (and it feels very strange to say that).

How this award looks will be decided by y'all.  But if it works out as planned, there will only be two of these given out at each Challenge, to best image and best artist.  More to come.

BTW - I added the Commons thread today.

Post edited by UnifiedBrain on
  • StezzaStezza Posts: 7,921

took the granddaughters to our local shopping complex.... thanks to this thread I bought nuts... lots of nuts!

Stezza said:

took the granddaughters to our local shopping complex.... thanks to this thread I bought nuts... lots of nuts!

Hahahaha!   I attached the nut file to my last post. I can't take it any further. If someone wants to use it... great.  If not, that's fine!

OK, MDO2010 what is this horn in a preset???  

graddaughter with us today... back this evening!    yes Silene

• VarselVarsel Posts: 574
    edited April 2017

I couldn't help it. I had to build my own set of nuts.....

I love Choholes idea of a render challenge for the badges. Perhaps it could be a side project to the current render challenge...

Doc2.jpg
    1000 x 600 - 102K
    Post edited by Varsel on
    edited April 2017

I redid the Commons thread.

I don't think we need to repost all the details of the Challenge.  So I made it a summary, and highlighted some of the important parts.

My plan is to post about one image there per day, to keep it showing up on the Commons first page throughout the Challenge.

Any comments you folks add there, are of course welcome!

edited April 2017
    SileneUK said:

OK, MDO2010 what is this horn in a preset???  

Browser>scene>global illumination

Cornet HDRI sample scene.png
    800 x 600 - 629K
    edited April 2017
    How this award looks will be decided by y'all.  But if it works out as planned, there will only be two of these given out at each Challenge, to best image and best artist.  More to come.

Great idea having it decided by us all... that way we have the best design.  Everyone should use the same one.

Shouldn't there should be 4??, not 2.  Reason being is that so anyone who places in any catagory will be able to recieve one... there are folks who would never recieve one... those that only enter once in a while or win anything occasionally.   I'm keeping in mind that if they choose to have this in their sig... this is a good thing and will advertise Carrara... since their sig will follow them no matter where they post.

I imagine that nobody or few will want to have more than one in their sig at a time... each time they place higher.  But I'm probably wrong about that... it's their sig... they can fill it up with awards. :)

Post edited by wgdjohn on
    edited April 2017
    SileneUK said:
    Stezza said:

Hahahaha!   I attached the nut file to my last post. I can't take it any further. If someone wants to use it... great.  If not, that's fine!

Silene,  I opened your file but it was not able to find the .tga files needed.... so I ignored it and made a shader for the hats.  Ignore my crazy lighing attempts which are there for making it appear somewhat as good as yours.  Take a peek and let me know what you think about the shaders... I also made the stems the same colour as the bottoms.  Oh... I added a few target helpers for pointing my goofy lighting which I set to only effect certain areas.

zip
    zip
    AcornsBySilene_mod2_wgd.zip
    5M
    Post edited by wgdjohn on
    edited April 2017

Thanks, John... I am going to have to leave this as I am trying to get work done and family members off for Easter.

I wondered where the reflection image came from... new to me. I could not see the source for it. I do not even know where these metal shaders came from... if they were even part of the Carrara kit that comes with 8.5 ?

SileneUK said:

OK, MDO2010 what is this horn in a preset???  

I see now.... it's been a long time since I have looked at the included stuff in Carrara.  cheeky S

• MarkIsSleepyMarkIsSleepy Posts: 1,496
    edited April 2017
    SileneUK said:

OK, MDO2010 what is this horn in a preset???  

I see now.... it's been a long time since I have looked at the included stuff in Carrara.  cheeky S

Yes, sorry, that's the one. I think of it when I think of Carrara because I see it so much - when you createa new scene, it's the first thing you see in the new document wizard.smiley

Capture.JPG
    691 x 324 - 43K
    Post edited by MarkIsSleepy on
    SileneUK said:

Thanks, John... I am going to have to leave this as I am trying to get work done and family members off for Easter.

I wondered where the reflection image came from... new to me. I could not see the source for it. I do not even know where these metal shaders came from... if they were even part of the Carrara kit that comes with 8.5 ?

Since they were on the bottoms, only, I thought that you tossed them on.  Forgot to mention I made no changes to the bottom... only your topknot/hat domain as well as copying the botton shaders to the stem.  I thought you added/modified those from the default Carrara Metals folder and was thinking they got there reflection from your half dome and the patter from the metal shaders or both.

Forgot to mention... I grabbed the Galant font from www.dafont.com... will have to crank up TypeTool3 and give a go at modifying it... only need to change 3 letters to spell Carrara and can do rest later.

edited April 2017

I'm opening the Challenge Entry thread tomorrow.  If that seems early - it is!  But you still have the normal amount of time to finish your renders and enter.  Let me explain.

Most of the Challenges are basically a 4 weeks long, with a 5th week for voting.  It is normally divided into 3 weeks to work on the render, 1 week to enter (and keep working on renders), and 1 week to vote.

However, I noticed that in the last Challenge, some folks missed entering because they were away, had family obligations, or whatever.  So this time, in an attempt to increase the number of entries, I'm expanding the entry period out to 2 weeks (and keeping the overall length of the Challenge the same).  So it's 2 weeks art, 2 weeks entry (and art), and 1 week voting.  So you still have the full 4 weeks to create your masterpieces.

This may make little difference in the grand scheme of things, but I thought it was worth a try.

Sounds good to me... we'll just have to wait and see.

• chickenmanchickenman Posts: 1,202

I had thought about putting up the entry thread at the same time as the WIP thread due to these situations so I am good with this.

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,921

Good move really... have it open early for the early birds yes

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,939
    edited April 2017

Stezza said:

Good move really... have it open early for the early birds yes

Yes a goodus ideaus

Post edited by Headwax on

Thanks for the comments, guys!

edited April 2017

I have a general question about the entry thread, before voting begins.

Are the following things permitted after entering an image?

1.  Altering your image once it has been submitted to the entry thread, and then putting up the altered one in place of the first one.  For example, maybe you needed 19 bats instead of 17.

2.  Substitution of a different image for one entered previously, assuming that you have also posted a WIP of the new image before the deadline.  For example, this may apply to an artist who gets a sudden burst of inspiration near the deadline, and wants to enter a completely different image (and already has 3 entries).

My thinking is that both situations may encourage an artist to go ahead and enter an image, even though the artist is not entirely happy with it, knowing that it could be changed later.

I don't have an issue with either possibility.  But I need to ask, in case it violates a rule or a past tradition of which I am ignorant.

Your feedback, please!

• TangoAlphaTangoAlpha Posts: 4,584

My thoughts: 

1. I don't see a problem with updating an image BEFORE the competition closes. Maybe some sort of explanation of the change might be encouraged in the WIP thread.

2. Could this not simply be a second entry? In the current competition, one or other would need to be made NPR, but see point 1.

edited April 2017

Thanks, it could be a second entry.  But - and I should have been clearer - I was assuming that the artist already had three entries.

I went back and edited it, thanks!

• TangoAlphaTangoAlpha Posts: 4,584

Then I guess if you can alter it, you can replace it. BUT, since this contest is as much about the how and the why as the final image, I'd like to see some kind of justification in the WIP thread.