Llynara's Loony Bin (WIP Thread)

Comments

• DarwinsMishapDarwinsMishap Posts: 4,071

Oh, I know!  It's part of my post processing at times, in minute amounts and I also use it to add detail to skin textures once in a while. 

• LlynaraLlynara Posts: 4,770
    edited April 2017

Just for fun, added an autograph. He probably has messier handwriting though. He looks like the type! 

FW Brett 1 BW Sig.jpg
    1500 x 1200 - 394K
    Post edited by Llynara on

waaaaaay to neat. lol  Mine is worse than my doctor's-he can't read it. I had to read my symptom sheet off to him because of it. lol

edited April 2017

LMAO! An artist with messy handwriting! Shame, shame. Actually, mine isn't that great any more because I'm always typing. I'll go look for some chicken scratch fonts. LOL

EDIT: OMG, these are hilarious. The names alone are killing me: http://www.1001fonts.com/messy+handwriting-fonts.html

lol-they are amusing!  Saved that page. :)  Thank you.

edited April 2017

Ok, here's SF Grunge. Though I really liked "Attract more women" and "Dave's Crappy Handwriting." They need one called "Sloppy Joe." LOL

This doesn't quite work, but I'm just goofing around anyhow. Time for bed!

FW Brett 1 BW Sig2.jpg
    1500 x 1200 - 390K

a lot neater but a nice set!  Night!

edited April 2017

Some quick fun with NGS Anagenesis 2 and Cayman's UV products on MDD's Water Element for V4 (Rendo). Sometimes it's good to just play and not worry too much about getting things perfect. I just love her skin! (As always, click for larger pics.)

On V4 (default MDD Water morphs + Archangel for V4 and Tears Hair): 

On G3F (some HP Tilir morphs mixed in, elf ears, Hunter Queen for G3F, Krayon Hair:)

MDD Water.png
    1500 x 1405 - 1M
    MDD Water V4 closeup.png
    1500 x 1405 - 2M
    MDD Water G3F.png
    1500 x 1405 - 1M
    MDD Water G3F closeup.png
    1500 x 1405 - 2M
  • deathbycanondeathbycanon Posts: 1,227
    Llynara said:

Ok, here's SF Grunge. Though I really liked "Attract more women" and "Dave's Crappy Handwriting." They need one called "Sloppy Joe." LOL

Very nice, I'm doing a piece on the tera dome road also, I had to put it aside for a bit, the pose and camera angles were not wanting to work the way I had them in my head.  Your ground looks better then mine too, did you use the rocks and plants? 

Llynara said:

I like this one the best, love her attitude and I really like the hair color and the almost clumpy wetish look it has. It goes great with her skin.

Llynara said:

Very nice, I'm doing a piece on the tera dome road also, I had to put it aside for a bit, the pose and camera angles were not wanting to work the way I had them in my head.  Your ground looks better then mine too, did you use the rocks and plants? 

Thanks! I loaded Roads and Rails first (probably a mistake) then loaded Terradome 3 and tried to get it to match the colors. I remember there being some presets or something to match, but it just looked awful. So I deleted Terradome and kept Roads and Rails, and rendered with a clear background. I really want to learn Terradome 3 better, but until then, it's postwork. So the stuff behind the road is actually a photo. I wish I had your mad Photoshop skills! Been using it for years for basic stuff, not creative stuff (cropping, resizing, basic retouching.) So I'm learning! 

Llynara said:

I like this one the best, love her attitude and I really like the hair color and the almost clumpy wetish look it has. It goes great with her skin.

Thanks! I'm finding that I really like V3 and V4 as they are. I'm learning to work with them natively rather than trying to bring everyone forward to a new generation. I was showing someone on the NGS Anagenessis thread how to use Cayman's UV products with Anagenessis, which is why I did this one. She looks great both ways, but I have to say I do love her as a V4.

Llynara said:
    Llynara said:

Thanks! I loaded Roads and Rails first (probably a mistake) then loaded Terradome 3 and tried to get it to match the colors. I remember there being some presets or something to match, but it just looked awful. So I deleted Terradome and kept Roads and Rails, and rendered with a clear background. I really want to learn Terradome 3 better, but until then, it's postwork. So the stuff behind the road is actually a photo. I wish I had your mad Photoshop skills! Been using it for years for basic stuff, not creative stuff (cropping, resizing, basic retouching.) So I'm learning! 

well you did great, I totally thought that was in tera dome! It blends perfect! 

Thank you so much! Maybe we can bumble through Terradome3 together, LOL

edited April 2017

Making Skydomes Usable in Iray

I'm in Val's wonderful FB Group, and Watson Davis, a fellow artist, posted a beautiful render with an old Woldbase Skydome in it. He explained how he did it. I'm saving the instructions here, because I want to try them on DigiVault's Stardomes. If I can get those working in Iray, I'll be thrilled. We don't have a lot of space HDRs and backgrounds to work with in Iray, though Kindred Arts just came out with more this week (more is always good.) 

With Iray, you select the dome, go to surfaces, and then click on the Iray Uber Surface. This will create a texture that has the right file in the Diffuse. Then go down to Emission and set the Emission color to the same file that's in the Diffuse. Then set the Emission color to WHITE. Yes, you want both a picture in the Emission color AND the actual color set.  That should get you going.
    I normally then set the Luminance Units to kcd/m^2 and play with the Luminance value to get something that gives the right light. 
    You can also play with the Emission Temp to get some strange effects.

A few more notes he added for anyone having trouble finding things: 

First. In the Surface tab, select the sky dome, but be sure to open it up and select the actual surface.
    Second, go to Content Library, open up Daz Studio Formats, open up My Daz 3D Library, open up Shader Presets, open up Iray, then select DAZ 
    Uber.
    The first shader you should see (the one at the top of the list) is !Iray Uber Base. With your sky surface selected, double click on that !Iray Uber Base. That will convert the surface of the skydome to Iray. 
    Then follow the steps I noted above to make it emissive.

So I'll try this over the weekend and report my results here and back to the FB group. I just didn't want to lose the information on FB. Everything gets buried so fast, even if you save it. 

• IceDragonArtIceDragonArt Posts: 12,548

I have a ton of gorgeous sky domes that I would love to use in Iray.  Wonder if we can save them as some kind of preset after we convert them...

edited April 2017

I bet we could. Probably as a material preset. I do it all the time with characters I've used Anagenesis shaders on. 

EDIT: Maybe best as a scene subset, not sure.

• KnittingmommyKnittingmommy Posts: 8,191

Oh, that's cool!  I haven't yet managed to get 3DL skydomes working in Iray.  I haven't been keeping up with the FB group over there.  I should.  Not enough time in the day, though.  You've still managed to keep busy in here.  I see some really nice renders.  I like the b&w with the signed message.  Very retro.  :)

Yes, but the word count has suffered! Didn't help that the 3 year old was up at 3:30 this morning. Bye bye earling morning writing time! I'll catch up this weekend :)

edited April 2017

Test render using that technique on Digivault's Stardome. Need to tweak lighting and everything else, but it does show up! YESS!!! Took like 2 minutes to render. Just select surfaces, add Uber. Picture is already in the Emission channel and emission channel is already set to white. SO EASY!

Time for bed now!

With the Ultagenesis glass floor. Love the reflections!

Stardome1.png
    1500 x 1433 - 4M
    Stardome3.png
    1500 x 1433 - 4M
    edited April 2017

Bitwelder's Top of the World in Iray

This is a 3Delight set that I love, but renders black in Iray. Getting it to work: 

1. Load the Preload from the Environments Smart Content
    2. Delete the UberSurface Lights
    3. Select each item in the scene, including the skydome in the surfaces tab.
    4. Apply Uber base.
    5. Under surfaces for Skydome, set lumens to 30,000 (or whatever your preference is. I used 30,000 for this render.)
    Top of the World Iray.png
    1500 x 1433 - 3M
  • IceDragonArtIceDragonArt Posts: 12,548

I tried this with the top of the world skydom and while it illuminated I lost the picture. I think I know what i did wrong but its too late to mess with tonight.

edited April 2017

Another crack at the stardome, with a different texture. I set lumens to 50000 and temp to 6500. The only lights I'm finding that work inside the dome so far are emissives. I added a moon from Fabiana's AlterPlanets (Rendo) and a light emitter from her AlterGlow set (it's an emissive plane.) Would probably work with Ghost Lights or TerraLuna. Softboxes would probably work as well.

stardome4.png
    1500 x 1433 - 3M
    edited April 2017

Here is my "Lifted" render, straight out of DAZ, no postwork, no cropping, with the stardome. One of the biggest challenges I had with this piece was finding a good space HDR.I guess I could postwork a background and then flip it for the reflection, but I'm not sure how good it would look. I think the converted stardome is a better solution. DigiVault's stardome comes with 24 different textures, all very beautiful. They appear to be 8192x8192. I'm downloading some hi-res NASA pics which I'll crop to that size and see if I can use them as additional textures. Should be interesting.

Tip: Skydomes and stardomes are enclosed spaces, especially in Iray. Approach lighting these scenes in Iray as you would any other enclosed interior and you should be good to go- emissives, softboxes and Ghost Lights are probably the way to go (though I need to learn to use the Ghost Lights!) 

Lifted with Stardome.png
    2000 x 2000 - 6M
    edited April 2017

One more shot with Elijah 7 looking at the night sky, then I have to move on to other stuff. I turned down the sky, added an emitter near his face, and used the darker render settings from Darwin's lighting walk through for this. I've got the ISO way up, as well as sharpening and detail. It's rendering in 3 minutes, but very grainy. I know I've read about people having that issue in Iray with dark renders. Will have to read more on it. I think I'm going in the right direction though. (click for larger pic.)

Stardome6.png
    2000 x 1860 - 6M

I wonder if you use the dome as the emitter and hide it in the render and use the image as a background instead if it would help?

That's an interesting idea. I will definitely give it a shot later. Thanks!

Hope it works, np!

• dracorndracorn Posts: 2,333

Wow, I love what you did with the older Digivault Stardomes.  I was wondering what to do with it as the resolution isn't as high as I would like and I wanted to give it more depth.  Great conversion to Iray, and I love the reflective floor that doesn't exist.  Makes for wonderful effects. 

• dracorndracorn Posts: 2,333
    edited April 2017

I figured out how to get a NASA picture into the Digivault Stardome!

You can't just take one and add it to the stardome.  Deconstruct it:  Note that each 8192x8192 pic has the main picture in the center and there are stars towards the edges.

1. Open Photoshop/Gimp and create an 8192x8192 pic and fill it with black.

2. Create another layer and copy the NASA pic into it.  Clean up the edges so you don't have the hard boarders.

3. Add some starts - I used Ron's Space Brushes.  Here's the original and the updated JPG:

4. In Daz Studio, load the pic into the Emission Channel (Base Color too?).  In 3DL it's loaded into the Diffuse and Ambient.

Here's a conversion of NGC 5189 - It renders FABULOUS! (mine is a 3DL render by the way):

NGC 5189 Forum original'.jpg
    714 x 715 - 142K
    NGC 5189.jpg
    714 x 718 - 79K
    01 DigiVStDome NGC 5189.jpg
    1000 x 562 - 465K
    Post edited by dracorn on