Things you may not know about Genesis and DAZ Studio 4

Comments

• A tree structure or tree diagram is a way of representing the hierarchical nature of a structure in a graphical form.
    "Head" is not "child" of "Hip"!

It is here - theer is no fore-ordained staring point, but hip is a sensible choice as it is often the nachor for a human. A case could be made for the feet, but a tree can't have two roots - I would think the case for the head was much weaker. You can use pinning and IK to get a similar effect, but the pins are not very robust (they are available with the Universal tool - click the pin icon on the viewport widget for a menu).

• yga44_529d2bf79dyga44_529d2bf79d Posts: 4
    edited December 2016

Real tree is:
    Body -> Head -> ...
             -> Torso -> ...
    In DAZ Studio:
        Character -> Hip -> ... - it is not tree.
        Hair (for head) -> Hip -> Pelvis - it is a nonsence!

Post edited by yga44_529d2bf79d on
  • The figure owns the skeleton tree, it is not part of it (hence the different icons in the Scene pane). You are entitled to want a head root node, but I can't see why it would be a sensible choice, still less more sensible than the hip.

• Now, I know this may be a bit of an obvious comment but even so I feel it's something easily overlooked and which can really help new players to start out.

Lost and Found

One of the things I really enjoy about Daz Studio ("DS") is the way it accesses its contents. I enjoy the the smart contents pane, but I also think highly of the content library pane. In fact: to get the most out of DS you'll want to become familiar with both panes. Especially because the content library can help you import 3rd party items into the smart contents. But that's not what I want to address here (trying to keep this at a beginners level).

The content library allows you to skim through all sorts of contents. By default that would be Daz Connect, your personal library and the Daz Studio main library. And of course it also allows you to check for Daz formatted contents as well as Poser formats. And that last thing is what I'd like to address. Checking for Poser contents which hasn't been imported into your smart contents pane (yet?) can be a bit daunting. Especially because the "Poser categories" don't always match to what's actually in there (referring to Camera, Figure, Expressions, Hair, Hands, Light, Materials, Pose, Props and Scene).

Now, I can be fun (at least I think so) to manually skim through the folders and the areas while looking for undiscovered contents, but there's a much easier way.

Open your content library pane, check the Categories section and from there find the Lost and Found sub category.In here you may very well find tons of new (Poser) contents which is ready for you to enjoy or, better yet, categorize and import into your smart contents section for easier access.

It wouldn't be the first time when I assumed that I had a single item to deal with, and when I looked up the category under Lost and Found I discovered that there was actually a lot more to it (for example: poses or materials which I initially overlooked (or couldn't find)).

If you recently treated yourself to some of the cool Holiday season freebies from the Daz store then this is definitely worth checking out.

Hope this can help give some of you some ideas and help you to discover new exciting contents :)

• epeachesepeaches Posts: 22
    edited February 2017

I am having a terrible time with DS 4.9.  I can't get anything to show up or work right.  Very disappointed.

Does your DazStudio 4.9 look like this when you open it up. It seems like something is wrong with the installation and none of my genesis figures are loading properly.  I guess I should delete it and reinstall it again.

Post edited by epeaches on
  • Look like what?

• Can someone tell me where to get facial expressions for genesis 1? I have the tools to shape eyes and mouth, but I can't open or close them. I don't understand what to do.

• R1CH1R1CH1 Posts: 80

Hi,, I haven't been on in a while.  Alot has changed..  I don't have any Genesis 3 base figures...  when I search, I just get characters,, clothes ,, content  etc..  where is the base figure?

• R1CH1 said:

Hi,, I haven't been on in a while.  Alot has changed..  I don't have any Genesis 3 base figures...  when I search, I just get characters,, clothes ,, content  etc..  where is the base figure?

In the Content Library pane look in Daz Studio Formats>folder you installed to, probably My Daz 3D Library>People>Genesis 3 Female.

R1CH1 said:

In the Content Library pane look in Daz Studio Formats>folder you installed to, probably My Daz 3D Library>People>Genesis 3 Female.

I downloaded this version of 4.9 a very long time ago.  There's nothing in the folders.  I just installed the Gen 2 figure from my Download manager.  But I never got the Gen 3.

so,, I ended up uninstalling then re-installing Daz 4.9  and I now have the Gen 3 Female,, but it says some surfaces are missing so she loads without texure.  It may have something to do with me missing the   PostgreSQL   which I'm not missing,, I uninstalled it when I did the re-install thinking it would re-install the PostgreSQL too , but it didn't,, so it no longer communicates with DAZ online,,through the software.  How do I get the PostgreSQL back? 

• PostgreSQL should be an option in the Install Manager.

I found it,, thanks

• I was wondering if anyone knew if the Lost Realms for Genesis 2 will Auto-fit on the Genesis 3 figure?

I was wondering if anyone knew if the Lost Realms for Genesis 2 will Auto-fit on the Genesis 3 figure?

so far,  I don't see much compatability between Genesis 2 and  3.  A lot of my Gen 2 content fits poorly on 3.  I'm hoping there's some kind of preset that can patch this.   

• I am sorry to hear you are having issues. For clothes and hair using the auto-fit feature works very well for me. I am not sure if that content it considered clothes though.
  • Guys, I am such a NOOB. And I apologize for that, but I CANNOT find the answer to my question.

Will Genesis 3 Mods work on Victoria 7/Michael 7? Specifically, will "HFS Fantasy Shapes for Genesis 3 Bundle (Female and Male) work on the Victoria 7 and Michael 7?

In other words,  do the new models retrofit to old Mods?

Thank you all

• epeachesepeaches Posts: 22

It seems DS 4.9 is faulty and the figures don't show up right.  It gives some error message and says it can't find this or that and then the figure shows up like a grey box figure.  I wish they would fix the software and I wish they would make a low resolution M5, M6, M7 and a low resolution figure for V5, V6 and V7.  At least the M5 and V5 show up properly.

epeaches

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,191

Guys, I am such a NOOB. And I apologize for that, but I CANNOT find the answer to my question.

Will Genesis 3 Mods work on Victoria 7/Michael 7? Specifically, will "HFS Fantasy Shapes for Genesis 3 Bundle (Female and Male) work on the Victoria 7 and Michael 7?

In other words,  do the new models retrofit to old Mods?

Thank you all

The Name 7 are all sahpes/textures/UV sets for the base Genesis Female/male, so yes morphs will work - though having the name 7 shape mixed in with the other shape may sometimes look off so you have to look at the particular results and perhaps tweak your settings.

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,191
    epeaches said:

It seems DS 4.9 is faulty and the figures don't show up right.  It gives some error message and says it can't find this or that and then the figure shows up like a grey box figure.  I wish they would fix the software and I wish they would make a low resolution M5, M6, M7 and a low resolution figure for V5, V6 and V7.  At least the M5 and V5 show up properly.

epeaches

That's a content issue, not a DS issue - usually either the content is missing or the content directories are not set up correctly.

• gregory mgregory m Posts: 99

It is more easier to make rendering in poser than Daz Studio, in poser  make a person then place in a scene then start rendering then you have finished render. Not with DazStudio the best way I explain this problem is like old safes poser like is a safe with one dial to open the door after placing correct numbers in. Daz Studio is like a old safe that have four dails to this open safe Daz Studio does great work but the user interface is not so great

In poser I doing rendering V4 I want do some work on the head of V4 I just place my pointer on her head I am there or any other parts of her body I don't need vidio instructions showing me how do this like that in Daz Studio

• gregory m said:

It is more easier to make rendering in poser than Daz Studio, in poser  make a person then place in a scene then start rendering then you have finished render. Not with DazStudio the best way I explain this problem is like old safes poser like is a safe with one dial to open the door after placing correct numbers in. Daz Studio is like a old safe that have four dails to this open safe Daz Studio does great work but the user interface is not so great

In poser I doing rendering V4 I want do some work on the head of V4 I just place my pointer on her head I am there or any other parts of her body I don't need vidio instructions showing me how do this like that in Daz Studio

The first is as true of DS as of Poser, the second (by default) differs only that the first click on an unselected figure selects the figure (Body for Poser), subsequnt clicks select bones.

• gregory mgregory m Posts: 99

If I started DAZ STUDIO from the start and nothing else I will very good in running this product, but it not happen this way. When I first got a 35mm camera I read just enough to run the camera then I went out and start taking photoes with a year I started win in large scale photo contests. And some of my photoes used by local news paper for the sports scection. Out any fancy education in photo taking I am doing better than any else went to school for that.

• getting a file location error for gen 3 male
    I'm trying to apply 'morpheus + bob for morpheus

Below is the error message
    the big problem - is black eyes with the BOB for morpheus - the eyes can be applied to the Morpheus base
    I'll need the mouth shapes for animating 
    Can someone help me with 'what to do" please thanks

DJMunkee

"some assets needed to load were missing. The content may not work as expected. The following files could not be found"

data/daz 3d/genesis 3/male/morphs/daz 3d/head/ctrlcrowsfeethd.dsf

data/daz 3d/genesis 3/male/morphs/daz 3d/head/phmeyelasheshidelayer1.dsf

data/daz 3d/genesis 3/male/morphs/daz 3d/head/phmeyelasheshidelayer2.dsf

data/daz 3d/genesis 3/male/morphs/daz 3d/head/phmeyelasheslength.dsf

data/daz 3d/genesis 3/male/morphs/daz 3d/head/phmeyelidsfolddown.dsf

data/daz 3d/genesis 3/male/morphs/daz 3d/head/phmeyelidsheavy.dsf

data/daz 3d/genesis 3/male/morphs/daz 3d/head/phmeyelidslowerheight.dsf

data/daz 3d/genesis 3/male/morphs/daz 3d/head/phmeyesalmondinner.dsf

data/daz 3d/genesis 3/male/morphs/daz 3d/head/phmeyesalmondouter.dsf

data/daz 3d/genesis 3/male/morphs/daz 3d/head/phmeyesdepth.dsf

data/daz 3d/genesis 3/male/morphs/daz 3d/head/phmeyesinnerdepth.dsf

data/daz 3d/genesis 3/male/morphs/daz 3d/head/phmeyespuffylower.dsf

data/daz 3d/genesis 3/male/morphs/daz 3d/head/phmlipuppercurves.dsf

data/daz 3d/genesis 3/male/morphs/daz 3d/head/phmmouthcurves.dsf

data/daz 3d/genesis 3/male/morphs/daz 3d/head/phmnosebridgedepth.dsf

data/daz 3d/genesis 3/male/morphs/daz 3d/head/phmnosebridgeheight.dsf

data/daz 3d/genesis 3/male/morphs/daz 3d/head/phmnosebridgeskew.dsf

data/daz 3d/genesis 3/male/morphs/daz 3d/head/phmnosebridgeslope.dsf

data/daz 3d/genesis 3/male/morphs/daz 3d/head/phmnosebump.dsf

data/daz 3d/genesis 3/male/morphs/daz 3d/head/phmnosedepth.dsf

data/daz 3d/genesis 3/male/morphs/daz 3d/head/phmnosetipdepth.dsf

data/daz 3d/genesis 3/male/morphs/daz 3d/head/phmnosetipheight.dsf

data/daz 3d/genesis 3/male/morphs/daz 3d/head/phmnostrilwingdepth.dsf

bobtest2.jpg
    480 x 599 - 100K
  • I think the missing files are from the Genesis 3 Head Morphs pack.The figure seem not to have any textures, which file are you loading/applying?

• AbnerKAbnerK Posts: 718

How come this message is labeled as 'new'. Has the forum closed. Neither of my questions have been posted. 

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited April 2018

How come this message is labeled as 'new'. Has the forum closed. Neither of my questions have been posted. 

I see 2 threads posted by you  in the Daz studio discussion forum, both with replies.

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/245141/compatible-figures-genesis 
         and 
     https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/244456/problem-adding-two-males-both-with-anatomical-elements

Post edited by Chohole on
  • I'm planning on buying iclone with the daz extension. I want to create content to monetize in toutube or other. I need to know if i can:

1- import daz scenery and sets

2-If they are 3d, editable and usasble within iclone

Also need to know about rights for using the daz material to monetize

Need yor help on these

Ricardo Marty

• The basic Genesis software files to load to get Genesis to work properly are:

Files to download for Daz Studio 4

Genesis Starter Essentials

Genesis Female Starter Essentials?

Genesis Male Starter Essentials?

Genesis Generation X

Genesis Generation X Female Starter Essentials?

Genesis Generation X Male Starter Essentials?

Genesis 2 Starter Essentials

Genesis 2 Female Starter Essentials

Genesis 2 Male Starter Essentials

Genesis 3 Starter Essentials

Genesis 3 Female Starter Essentials

Genesis 3 Male Starter Essentials

Genesis 8 Starter Essentials

Genesis 8 Female Starter Essentials

Genesis 8 Male Starter Essentials

Search and download all Genesis Files I guess to be sure the program works right, I guess.  Are those the basic files to install???

• MelanieLMelanieL Posts: 7,091

There are no separate Genesis Female/Male Starter Essentials - because it was a unisex figure everything was in a single installer.

No sure what you mean by Generation X - do you mean V3/V4/M3/M4/etc? (If so, they are not included as part of DS4, you buy them separately) Or do you mean the plug-in Generation X2 which allows you to transfer morphs between generations?

You should also download Default Resources for DS4.9+ - this includes all the basic shaders, etc which you need for DS to work fully.

THen there's a whole bunch of other goodies included with DS4 Pro which you may want to download which give you a lot of outfits, props etc - if you want the full list go to your Product Library on your account page to see the full list of what you get free with DS4 - here's a direct link: https://www.daz3d.com/downloader/customer/files#prod_13176