Which Dojo?

RCDescheneRCDeschene Posts: 2,799
edited April 2017 in The Commons

So, I'm looking at the new Dojo product from retrodevil and it instantly reminded me of Bluebird_3d's Martial Arts Dojo Interior, which I don't have. So I'm sitting here wondering which one would be worth my investment. One's new, Iray surfaced, and overall cheaper, but the other has more detail and is part of a beautiful set. One would find it a no brainer to get the cheaper, more terminologically up-to-date one, but the older one has an appeal that can go well if I decide I want my scene to explore different dimentions of the setting, thus making the second story platform and bundled exterior useful.

Any suggestions?

Post edited by RCDeschene on

Comments

• If you already own some good Iray shader sets, like those from Mec4D (Set 2 is a must have), and don't mind taking the time to swap the older surfaces for Iray, then get the older one if you like the detail better.

If the textures are really good on the older dojo, you might not even need to swap them.  Some older surfaces work just fine in Iray.

I'm considering the new dojo as well...mainly because of the price and updated surfaces.

Probably Bluebird3d's dojo will be on sale this week as a featured artist.  So, you'll probably be able to get it for close to the price of the new one if you wait it out. 

A nice thing about shopping at Daz is that you typically don't have to wait very long for an item you like to be on sale...generally within any given two month period, you can count on an item getting at least some discount.  Right now, I suspect that we will see another round of catchup for all artists at 40% off or better, sometime this week.

Personally, I'm waiting to see if the dojo bundle ever gets a deep discount.  Then, I'll pick up the whole thing.

• After looking at both dojos again, I have to say I'm leaning towards the newer one.  I like the colors of the older dojo better.  But, the new textures appear to be higher res.  And, the difference is minimal for the very large price difference.  I do like the hanging caligraphy in the older dojo...nice banners.  Probably, I can adjust the wood tones without too much trouble.

• MJ007MJ007 Posts: 1,679

So, I'm looking at the new Dojo product from retrodevil and it instantly reminded me of Bluebird_3d's Martial Arts Dojo Interior, which I don't have. So I'm sitting here wondering which one would be worth my investment. One's new, Iray surfaced, and overall cheaper, but the other has more detail and is part of a beautiful set. One would find it a no brainer to get the cheaper, more terminologically up-to-date one, but the older one has an appeal that can go well if I decide I want my scene to explore different dimentions of the setting, thus making the second story platform and bundled exterior useful.

Any suggestions?

If price isnt a determing factor, I think i would go with Bluebird's set for a few reasons:
    1.) it doesnt look like the new set has an entrance.  Thats a detail that would bother me
    2.) i agree with you and i find the viewing ledge of the older set a nice add-on for added viewing space for trainees
    3.) i agree with the cdpro on the more vibrant colors of the older set

I guess it comes down to how you plan to use it, and how the benefits of the older set stack up to the price of the newer one.

Good Luck!

-MJ

• MJ007 said:

Any suggestions?

If price isnt a determing factor, I think i would go with Bluebird's set for a few reasons:
    1.) it doesnt look like the new set has an entrance.  Thats a detail that would bother me
    2.) i agree with you and i find the viewing ledge of the older set a nice add-on for added viewing space for trainees
    3.) i agree with the cdpro on the more vibrant colors of the older set

I guess it comes down to how you plan to use it, and how the benefits of the older set stack up to the price of the newer one.

Good Luck!

-MJ

I thought the new set had a viewing ledge.  I missed that when I was comparing....also the door.  So yeah, you've kinda persuaded me back the other direction.  I really like the viewing edge on the older dojo...particularly if you want to stage a battle in there with a rival school, fascist government police, Yakuza thugs...etc.

I wonder why the door was left out.  Perhaps, it just wasn't featured in the sample renders.

Does anyone know if Bluebird's interior and exterior actually fit together to do indoor outdoor type shots (looking through the doorway from the outside and seeing the interior scene)?  I didn't know if these were actually designed to snap fit or just separate scenes.

• KnittingmommyKnittingmommy Posts: 8,191

I have Bluebird's set and I love it.  While the new one looks okay, the only thing I really like about it is the katana stand which I could manage with whatever katanas I have.  I didn't even get far enough into the description to see if those were included.  I've rendered it in Iray and it looked pretty good given my skills at the time.  With the exception of the banners, I believe the only thing I did was convert the existing materials to Iray but it's been awhile so I'm not positive about that.  For the banners, I did my own materials because I wanted the dojo kun for my boys' karate style instead of the dojo kun that Bluebird did which fits most styles.

• TaozTaoz Posts: 9,714
    edited April 2017

The new one actually has an entrance at the end of the building, in the form of two sliding doors.

rd_dojo_entrance.jpg
    800 x 533 - 345K
    rd_dojo_exterior.jpg
    800 x 533 - 308K
    Post edited by Taoz on
  • Bluebird 3DBluebird 3D Posts: 995

Would you guys like a free update of my dojo with Iray surfaces? I'm happy to do it this week and push the update out as soon as QA approves it.

I've been considering this with a few of my other sets so this might be a nice time to work them in.

Heck, I'll even do it on video for my YouTube channel. That will be more fun!

As for comparing the two: I will leave that to the market. At least I can help with removing the concern about having to choose between 3Delight and Iray. The merits of each project can then be compared on artistic grounds.

Personally: I say why choose? Grab both and mix and match! There is more variety that way.

~Charlene

• Would you guys like a free update of my dojo with Iray surfaces? I'm happy to do it this week and push the update out as soon as QA approves it.

I've been considering this with a few of my other sets so this might be a nice time to work them in.

As for comparing the two: I will leave that to the market. At least I can help with removing the concern about having to choose between 3Delight and Iray. The merits of each project can then be compared on artistic grounds.

Personally: I say why choose? Grab both and mix and match! There is more variety that way.

~Charlene

heart

That is all. Please proceed.

• RCDescheneRCDeschene Posts: 2,799
    edited April 2017

Would you guys like a free update of my dojo with Iray surfaces? I'm happy to do it this week and push the update out as soon as QA approves it.

~Charlene

If you do that, you'll win me over no-problem! :D

Post edited by RCDeschene on
  • NovicaNovica Posts: 23,859

Charlene- very thoughtful, thank you!  I have yours already and that would be a nice addition- I only use Iray.

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,050

That is very nice. I don't own it yet, but I would be more tempted, knowing that there were Iray materials available.

• CybersoxCybersox Posts: 8,745

If you know your bad Kung Fu movies, you know that there are ALWAYS two Martial Arts Dojos, one run by a kindly white-bearded old geezer known only as "Master" who is inevitably offed by the owner of the second dojo, a nefarious dark haired fellow with a long greasey moustache that looks like he attempted to inhale an entire package of Licorice Whips.   Which is better?  Ah, that is a matter of whose Kung Fu is stronger, Grasshopper.  Haii-YAA!

• DaWaterRatDaWaterRat Posts: 2,882
    edited April 2017

I have both currently on my wishlist.  I also have LukeA's free Dojo (it's over at ShareCG) and Stonemason's old Green Dragon Dojo (and I keep hoping he'll do a new one)

But I like to have a lot of varieties of a given place, so that I can have more than one in a series, or else just pick the one that suits the characters best.

Right now I'm trying to set up a modern American Strip Mall Storefront type dojo (I'm looking mostly at dance studios for that)

Post edited by DaWaterRat on
  • Sfariah DSfariah D Posts: 25,610

I have the bluebird one, so not sure if I want the new one.   What would make the new one worth for me to get if I have the older one?

There's also the Kendo Dojo that was released a week ago, though I don't like it only has an "old worn" floor option.

• Bluebird 3DBluebird 3D Posts: 995

If you know your bad Kung Fu movies, you know that there are ALWAYS two Martial Arts Dojos, one run by a kindly white-bearded old geezer known only as "Master" who is inevitably offed by the owner of the second dojo, a nefarious dark haired fellow with a long greasey moustache that looks like he attempted to inhale an entire package of Licorice Whips.   Which is better?  Ah, that is a matter of whose Kung Fu is stronger, Grasshopper.  Haii-YAA!

... You just made me snort coffee up my nose!!!

• Hey everyone! I don't normally frequent the forums but am happy to see this discussion about my Dojo and Bluebirds older product. 

If you have any specific questions about my Dojo I'll try my best to answer ????????????

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,517
    edited April 2017
    Taozen said:

There's also the Kendo Dojo that was released a week ago, though I don't like it only has an "old worn" floor option.

..that is the one I purchased as its appearance fits better with the storyline for my namesake character.

Post edited by kyoto kid on

kyoto kid said:
    Taozen said:

..that is the one I purchased as its appearance fits better with the storyline for my namesake character.

Wonder when they'll update it - there was a problem with the floor being partly transparent, which was reported.

Hey everyone! I don't normally frequent the forums but am happy to see this discussion about my Dojo and Bluebirds older product. 

If you have any specific questions about my Dojo I'll try my best to answer ????????????

I've noticed that it looks quite good from the outside as well - might go for a "modern style " dojo - but I guess that's not intended since it's not shown in the promos?

• Taozen said:

Hey everyone! I don't normally frequent the forums but am happy to see this discussion about my Dojo and Bluebirds older product. 

I've noticed that it looks quite good from the outside as well - might go for a "modern style " dojo - but I guess that's not intended since it's not shown in the promos?

Hi yes My original Idea was to build a roof on the Dojo so I was making the outside look good too. I am hoping I will get around to making a roof, and a veranda that I can possibly give away as a freebie. My original plan of having the roof have actual tiles instead of flat textures proved to be a little too taxing on memory.

Taozen said:

Hi yes My original Idea was to build a roof on the Dojo so I was making the outside look good too. I am hoping I will get around to making a roof, and a veranda that I can possibly give away as a freebie. My original plan of having the roof have actual tiles instead of flat textures proved to be a little too taxing on memory.

That sounds great, thank you!

The more I try to kitbash it, the more I realize I really would pay for a "modern American" type dojo.  With mirrors and 2" thick rubber mats on the floor (in a pattern to make sparring squares) and training dummies and wave bags...  Nothing out there quite matches what I'm looking for, though there are a couple of bits that come close.  (Flipmode's Fight Club being one of them, but I don't have it yet, so I don't know how much I'd have to adjust to get it right)  Room kits are generally not going to work, since they're more designed for houses, and don't have the right kind of windows.  And dance studio windows are generally too upscale for what I'm looking for (though I've used them before)

• The more I try to kitbash it, the more I realize I really would pay for a "modern American" type dojo.  With mirrors and 2" thick rubber mats on the floor (in a pattern to make sparring squares) and training dummies and wave bags...  Nothing out there quite matches what I'm looking for, though there are a couple of bits that come close.  (Flipmode's Fight Club being one of them, but I don't have it yet, so I don't know how much I'd have to adjust to get it right)  Room kits are generally not going to work, since they're more designed for houses, and don't have the right kind of windows.  And dance studio windows are generally too upscale for what I'm looking for (though I've used them before)

Do you have any photo examples of what your thinking of? might give it a go if it looks like something I can do :D

The more I try to kitbash it, the more I realize I really would pay for a "modern American" type dojo.  With mirrors and 2" thick rubber mats on the floor (in a pattern to make sparring squares) and training dummies and wave bags...  Nothing out there quite matches what I'm looking for, though there are a couple of bits that come close.  (Flipmode's Fight Club being one of them, but I don't have it yet, so I don't know how much I'd have to adjust to get it right)  Room kits are generally not going to work, since they're more designed for houses, and don't have the right kind of windows.  And dance studio windows are generally too upscale for what I'm looking for (though I've used them before)

Do you have any photo examples of what your thinking of? might give it a go if it looks like something I can do :D

Kind of.  (I thought I had more, but I'd moved them to a backup drive that wound up going bad, apparently)  My daughter attends a store front dojo, but I haven't taken many pictures in there with an eye to showing it off.
    The best I've probably got is the video I made celebrating her getting her 3rd degree, and I was holding my phone wrong (portrait instead of landscape)

• Wow, she is good!

The basic room is pretty simple. Being a store front complicates it slightly as you'd need stuff outside to complete the scene. I will give it a go when I have some spare time. If it works out I'll let you know :D