Old Dog New Tricks

Comments

• IceDragonArtIceDragonArt Posts: 12,548

Nicely done!

Artini said:

Wow, lots of great images here. You are very talented.

She looks great.  I think the makeup works, too.  :)

Thanks everyone! 

I need to figure out body morphs and how they work. Some require that other people also have the morphs, others don't. I need to figure out how to tell which is which in my morph dials. Then figure out how to save it. So much learning.....

And its just the tip of the ice berg lol.  One thing leads to another, to another.... I will say this, they say that continuing to actively learn things helps stave of alzhiemers and dementia.  I figure, I will be learning more things about this program for another 30 years so I should be good to go....

• deathbycanondeathbycanon Posts: 1,227

Nicely done!

Artini said:

Wow, lots of great images here. You are very talented.

She looks great.  I think the makeup works, too.  :)

Thanks everyone! 

I need to figure out body morphs and how they work. Some require that other people also have the morphs, others don't. I need to figure out how to tell which is which in my morph dials. Then figure out how to save it. So much learning.....

And its just the tip of the ice berg lol.  One thing leads to another, to another.... I will say this, they say that continuing to actively learn things helps stave of alzhiemers and dementia.  I figure, I will be learning more things about this program for another 30 years so I should be good to go....

lol I guess that puts a positive spin on things! 

edited March 2017

Here's todays piece, I was working on barbarian war paint for Shannon and this happened. Then in my head I had this darker, more dynamic image, with woods in the background, but it just didn't want to go that way.....

TheRavens.jpg
    1000 x 1000 - 495K
    Post edited by deathbycanon on
  • mori_mannmori_mann Posts: 1,152

Some renders have a mind of their own. Usually it's best to just go with them :D

• algovincianalgovincian Posts: 2,576

So is that Huginn or Muninn perched atop the staff? Whoever it is, I wonder what info they have to bring back to Odin . . . either way, great job!

- Greg

mori_mann said:

Some renders have a mind of their own. Usually it's best to just go with them :D

Yea, that's weird isn't it! 

So is that Huginn or Muninn perched atop the staff? Whoever it is, I wonder what info they have to bring back to Odin . . . either way, great job!

- Greg

I'm not sure, but I did have Norse mythology in mind when doing the face paint. Have you read or listened to Iron Druid Chronicles? Huginn and Muninn love to stir up trouble, the goddess Morrigan also shifts into a raven in that story and I have been listening to them again while I work. I guess it creeped into my art a little lol   

• GreybroGreybro Posts: 2,481

Your work is excellent!

Greybro said:

Your work is excellent!

Thank you!

edited March 2017

Ok so I have been working on this texture. I tried it like a tat and didn't like it, I want it to look like it has been painted on. Then it needed to not be black, so I choose brown - like it was mud, but I thought about using grey like ash? I'm also going to buy my daughter a mud mask this weekend so I can take photos of the texture lol So I might just use that as the base map in the areas, or as the normal map just to get texture? Not really sure how these things work so I'll have to play around with it. 

ShanBar1.png
    700 x 700 - 336K
    ShanBar2.png
    700 x 700 - 501K
    ShanBar4.png
    700 x 700 - 736K

I haven't read the Iron Druid Chronicles, but I got into some Norse mythology when I was a kid after reading Tolkien's works. Whenever you see the ravens, you know that Odin is there . . .

Anyway, love the birds, and the chic on knees with her back arched, too ;)

- Greg

Ok so I have been working on this texture. I tried it like a tat and didn't like it, I want it to look like it has been painted on. Then it needed to not be black, so I choose brown - like it was mud, but I thought about using grey like ash? I'm also going to buy my daughter a mud mask this weekend so I can take photos of the texture lol So I might just use that as the base map in the areas, or as the normal map just to get texture? Not really sure how these things work so I'll have to play around with it. 

Great design - really makes her eyes pop. Personally, I like the idea of making it look like it was painted on by fingers during a ritual. Ash with some thickness/texture (but not completely opaque) would look awesome! Looking forward to seeing what you come up with.

- Greg

You can make a bump map I believe you can tell Photoshop to generate bump, normal and something else.  The bump should be shades of grey I believe, with the dark to black being dents and the lighter toward white being bumps if that makes any sense.I may also have it backwards but I thing I got the black and white the right way around lol.

• KnittingmommyKnittingmommy Posts: 8,191

Nice work.  I love the Ravens image!

Great design - really makes her eyes pop. Personally, I like the idea of making it look like it was painted on by fingers during a ritual. Ash with some thickness/texture (but not completely opaque) would look awesome! Looking forward to seeing what you come up with.

- Greg

Thanks for the input Greg, I'm betting my daughter will let me put ash on her face too so I can get a real reference for how it would look and a real image to make a texture or bump map from. She's a pretty good sport about letting me take photos of her for my artwork. :) 

You can make a bump map I believe you can tell Photoshop to generate bump, normal and something else.  The bump should be shades of grey I believe, with the dark to black being dents and the lighter toward white being bumps if that makes any sense.I may also have it backwards but I thing I got the black and white the right way around lol.

I should be able to google that pretty easy, I also need to look into normal maps. I downloaded the Nvida filter that makes them, but it's weird. Things that are dark - like eyebrows and eyeliner sink in -and you would think those things would need to push out? On the other hand dark things like skin creases should sink in. I wonder if I need to invert things like eyebrows before making a normal map??? More things to play around with....

Nice work.  I love the Ravens image!

Thank you, it was fun to work on even though it didn't turn out anything like I thought it was going to when I started.:) 

Sent you a PM!

Congrats on your render being in the newsletter!  Looks great!

Congrats on your render being in the newsletter!  Looks great!

Thank you! I didn't know they put the PC Inspiration Contest winners in the newsletter, that was a nice surprise!  

• TabascoJackTabascoJack Posts: 865

Congratulations!

Congratulations!

Thanks Jack!

edited April 2017

I could have pulled the back leg out, but I sort of like it tucked under the collar of the cloak, probably should have added a bit of belly fur between that back led and the front arm though. 

• LlynaraLlynara Posts: 4,770

Here's todays piece, I was working on barbarian war paint for Shannon and this happened. Then in my head I had this darker, more dynamic image, with woods in the background, but it just didn't want to go that way.....

Wow, your work is stunning! Great job! It is challenging to learn new software, especially DAZ, but you're doing it beautifully. Love the images! This one and the dragons (all of them, who could possibly choose) are my favs.

edited April 2017
    Llynara said:

Wow, your work is stunning! Great job! It is challenging to learn new software, especially DAZ, but you're doing it beautifully. Love the images! This one and the dragons (all of them, who could possibly choose) are my favs.

Thank you. I need to check in at camp. I got so much work done yesterday. More in daz than writing, but I got a bit of that done too. I didn't get a chance to check in through because my computer was rendering most the day! I did 4 renders. Two mask tests for my character, and book cover, and then this one with the squirrel that went all night. Plus lots of photoshop painting trying to figure out the different maps that add texture - still not there yet! Busy day but I got a lot done! 

I could have pulled the back leg out, but I sort of like it tucked under the collar of the cloak, probably should have added a bit of belly fur between that back led and the front arm though. 

I really love this one!  :)

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,929

Lot of nice renders, I really like the Fire By Dragon and All Clear Skies.

Lot of nice renders, I really like the Fire By Dragon and All Clear Skies.

Thank you! 

Good lord that squirrel render is cute!

edited April 2017

I really love this one!  :)

Thanks, I had a hard time deciding on a crop, I rendered it out farther, then saved it as two other crops in photoshop, then finally decided on the cut the face close up. I took portraits of my kids with half teh face missing all the time, but once people started paying me, for some odd reason they like the whole face to show. ;) Now I'm trying to break the "it pays the bills" mentality and just go back to what captures the emotion I'm going for most. 

BTW one of my all time favorite photos.... My youngest when she was two, taken with my very 1st DSLR 

Also no eye edit, natural reflection only from a sliding glass door. 

That is adorably cute!  :)

What a cutie!

When I saw Dante, his build reminded me of the old Conan art by Frank Frazetta and Earl Norem. The Frazetta Conan has a more native American face, but has the same blocky body type. Through the face he looks more like the Earl Norem Conan. Anyway, here's my DAZ3d version of the "Conan the Adventurer" book cover art by Frank Frazetta. I think I have strategically covered the the "offending" body parts well enough that hopefully I won't get it kicked off. :) If so here is teh link on my DA account 

http://fav.me/db50whc