JANUARY 2013 New Users Contest WIP Thread

Comments

• gp139gp139 Posts: 0
    edited January 2013

hi sasje I know what you are talking about, this has to be the only street with out a street light mailbox or anything that would make it look like a street, details, details, details, I have to remember that, but why remove one of the hover, is there such a thing as to much?

thanks

Post edited by gp139 on
  • Scott LivingstonScott Livingston Posts: 4,331
    edited December 1969

hi
    this is what I came up with so far, at least this time I have shadows, and a little more in the background anyone let me know what you think

Nice work with the pose! Not sure about the hovertank color scheme, though, as I expect you want the viewer's focus to be on the woman...
  • frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,352
    edited December 1969

Thanks for the comments, everyone! It's good to see everyone else's work as it transforms, too. I'm learning tons. Here's the current state of my image, after a few adjustments here and there with camera angles, expression, and lighting.

Beautiful job!

• SasjeSasje Posts: 835
    edited December 1969

hi sasje I know what you are talking about, this has to be the only street with out a street light mailbox or anything that would make it look like a street, details, details, details, I have to remember that, but why remove one of the hover, is there such a thing as to much?

thanks

Yes there is but that depends on what you want.
    I think, just what Scott says, that you want to focus on the woman.
    If so then in my eyes it is a little bit busy in the air, when I see you’re render my eyes goes up to the air
    edited December 1969

My eyes go to the extreme colors. Are those the textures that come with the props

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited January 2013

Frank0314 said:
    My eyes go to the extreme colors. Are those the textures that come with the props
    No they are not. I'm with Frank on this point. All real Pin ups in the day were with the real items (Planes, Cars whatever) those new mat colors ruin the Image to my eyes. To really get this one to POP (IMHO) the proper textures should be used, then The Rule of Thirds to get the Focus on the Model, the background is much lower in importance than the Focus of the image, then I would use DOF to really POP the model in the Final render. I think you are more focused on useing the full BG than you should be. The Real Focus should be the Model in this render.

Just my two cents.
    Post edited by Jaderail on
  • ZamuelNowZamuelNow Posts: 753
    edited December 1969

bluemoon said:
    Thanks Sasje.
    In this scene I was never really happy with the lighting, so I have redone it with more of a Sci-Fi theme.
    I only used uber Area Lights in this and did this to see how tings will look. Still needs work on the pose and camera to get it looking more like the first one.

I agree with the others that while both look good, the first one has far more weight to it with the angle and DOF.

-----

Trying to figure out what I'm going to work on and I think I've narrowed it down to three choices, each with their own varying concerns. Perhaps the others here might have suggestions on which to do or what fixes should be made.

My_Glasses.jpg
    1231 x 1200 - 260K
    Deserted.jpg
    1600 x 900 - 242K
    Power_Fist.jpg
    1949 x 1900 - 128K
    edited December 1969

I'd like to see the first on redone

edited December 1969

scott
    yes the color scheme is off but what color would it be when you have a team of amazon pilot, but I understand what you are talking about the eyes more to the hover and not the women, I have to find a way to balance it out better

sasje what if I make the hovers in the air smaller, and far off into the distance, I just did not want the sky to be blank

edited December 1969

Making them a bit smaller may help a lot

edited December 1969

this is what I came up with so far comments are always welcome

tank_pilot1.jpg
    800 x 800 - 307K
    edited January 2013

Sorry for the late answer.
    About the hovers, just what Frank says.

My feelings go for this one.
    My eyes go directly to her.
    One thing, the white color on her lips is that with the lip color or is that because of the light or is the specular strength to high??

Good job :-)

Post edited by Sasje on
  • BWSmanBWSman Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Sasje said:

One thing, the white color on her lips is that with the lip color or is that because of the light or is the specular strength to high??

God job :-)

That's her teeth showing. :lol:

edited December 1969

BWSman said:
    Sasje said:

God job :-)

That's her teeth showing. :lol:
    Whoops!! :-) I mean the lower lip
    edited December 1969

I'm curious, what's your lighting setup and render settings?

edited December 1969

Alright, here's my first updated draft.

Power_Fist_New_1.jpg
    600 x 800 - 260K
  • BWSmanBWSman Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

ZamuelNow said:

I would focus the light on the fist (IMO). Leave the settings unchanged; but aim the spotlight on the fist.

edited December 1969

ZamuelNow said:
    I like, I like very much. I do agree that the focus should be the fist though.
    edited December 1969

sasje
    yes the light on her face is high for this the next thing im am going to work on is getting the is getting the light and shadows, in the right place and, im just started working with ray trace as the shadow type and for the illumination in specular only, the hart part is knowing how intense the light and the shadow should be, but I find myself looking at it so hard that I have to stop and let it go for a day, then take a new look at it the next day

ill get there someday

thanks for the advice

edited December 1969

Dune411412 and ZamuelNow: both of your images are much improved and looking very good! I think. ZamuelNow, maybe try two dim spotlights: one as is, and one pointed at the fist? I think your setting needs some more stuff in it, but I guess you want to focus on the character and lighting first.

Here are a couple of my WIPs. For the unlit one, I was focusing on composition and expression. The lit one is more recent. The lights aren't Uber, and don't have any shadows turned on yet. I'm just trying to figure out color, intensity, and placement. I've never really done renders with entirely custom lighting...typically I rely (at least to an extent) on lighting presets. I think I've developed a decent understanding of what works and what doesn't, and now I'm trying to apply that knowledge towards lighting scenes on my own.

This one uses a spotlight (yellow) as a key light, and a distant light (blue) as a rim light. I'll experiment with 3-point and 7-point versions, and ultimately I'd love to do some volumetric lighting, which I've never tried before.

ultimatevictoria2b-2pt.jpg
    618 x 800 - 188K
    ultimatevictoria2b.jpg
    618 x 800 - 379K
    edited December 1969

sasje
    yes the light on her face is high for this the next thing im am going to work on is getting the is getting the light and shadows, in the right place and, im just started working with ray trace as the shadow type and for the illumination in specular only, the hart part is knowing how intense the light and the shadow should be, but I find myself looking at it so hard that I have to stop and let it go for a day, then take a new look at it the next day

ill get there someday

thanks for the advice

You’re welcome.
    You do great. :-)
    The light is a hard thing to do, only what I can say is play around with the settings, directions and colors.
    edited December 1969

My first attempt at three-point lighting from scratch. Technically it's four lights--one distant and three spotlights--but two of the spots have the same position and rotation (different colors, intensity, and spread angle). The lighting itself looks decent I think, but something odd is going on with the chainmail shader I applied to the MFD (Morphing Fantasy Dress). Could it be a shadow?

The other odd thing is that when I turned the distant light's shadows on, the light seemed to disappear from the render entirely (but not the preview pane). So I turned them off again.

Thinking about taking another look at Szark's tutorial thread and adding an UberArea light...

ultimatevictoria2b-3pt1.jpg
    618 x 800 - 255K
    edited December 1969

It looks really good Scott. Yes I would add an Uber light. You'll get better results.

edited December 1969

Second draft. Had some difficulties here and there so I made some adjustments.

Power_Fist_New_2.jpg
    600 x 800 - 256K
    edited January 2013

Its a little dark to me. It could be my monitor though. How many lights do you have in the scene? I thought the first you you posted looked really good. You had just enough light to light the body but it wasn't over powering.

Post edited by frank0314 on
    edited January 2013

ZamuelNow said:
    I like this better but I'm with Frank. I would add one low Ambient fill light without shadows. A distant light pops to mind.

EDIT: If you have a Fill light in it now Just amp it up a tad and then Amp up the Spot as well.
    Post edited by Jaderail on
    edited December 1969

And if you do that turn the shadows off the light you have casting the shadows now or you'll have conflicting shadows.

edited December 1969

Frank0314 said:
    And if you do that turn the shadows off the light you have casting the shadows now or you'll have conflicting shadows.
    I was thinking only one Light needed Shadows on, the Spot would be my pick.
  • kittenwyldekittenwylde Posts: 151
    edited December 1969

This one uses a spotlight (yellow) as a key light, and a distant light (blue) as a rim light. I'll experiment with 3-point and 7-point versions, and ultimately I'd love to do some volumetric lighting, which I've never tried before.

How do you do volumetric lighting in Studio? I love it in Bryce, and was just working on something the other day that would greatly benefit from volumetric lighting. I couldn't get everything from Studio into Bryce without a major crash, though, so I gave up.

• kittenwyldekittenwylde Posts: 151
    edited December 1969

ZamuelNow said:

I confess, I liked the last version a little better. This one the light looks too bright to my eyes. I do like the overall image a lot, though. Nice and powerful.