JANUARY 2013 New Users Contest WIP Thread

Comments

• edited December 1969

There are a few mistakes and the posing needs a bit of tweaking but I think its coming along nice.

Would love to get your thoughts.

Temple-02.jpg
    800 x 666 - 219K
    trishR1final.jpg
    900 x 636 - 243K
  • SasjeSasje Posts: 835
    edited December 1969

bluemoon said:
    There are a few mistakes and the posing needs a bit of tweaking but I think its coming along nice.

Would love to get your thoughts.

The poses seem good to me.
    Maybe in the first render some DOF.
    I love the second one.
    good work :-)
  • frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,422
    edited December 1969

I agree. The second one is looking really good. It has the perfect amount of DOF.

• edited January 2013

Thanks Sasje, the second one is the new version. The first one I did for my sister a few months ago.

Thanks Frank.

Post edited by bluemoon_524a0e29ba on
  • DAZ_ann0314DAZ_ann0314 Posts: 2,818
    edited December 1969

OK as promised I added in my example to the first post along with my self evaluation of the original image I chose, going through the steps I posted. :) If anyone has any questions or anything on what I did or why, please let me know :)

• Scott LivingstonScott Livingston Posts: 4,331
    edited January 2013

Oh, that's cool Ann! The differences are subtle yet profound! To me the earlier one (blue) is a picture of a faerie kissing a dragon, while the newer one (purple) is a picture of a dragon accepting a kiss from a faerie.

I prefer many things about the purple one...the lighting, more complex color scheme, the DOF, how the skin and scale surfaces look, the sparkles, and of course the dragon's pose and expression. I must say I prefer the girl's pose and expression, especially the open eyes, from the blue one. It definitely gives a different emotional impact, more interesting to me*, though maybe not the one you were going for. :) I see trust in her eyes, but also a little uncertainty; hesitation (perhaps enhanced by the greater distance between them, versus the newer image). In the newer one, she kiss is definitely "more sweet and loving and softer" as you say.

I like them both a great deal, and on balance I do prefer the remake.

Got my first project picked out...see below for my original, done back in April. It was my first attempt at making "art" (rather than an "illustration") from a render, and at the time I was quite pleased with it, but now I see lots of room for improvement. I was looking to emulate the style of painters like John William Waterhouse and the Pre-Rafaelites. Like ZamuelNow, I have many potential candidates to choose among! I hope I have time for a second entry, because I have one picked out for that, too... :)

Bluemoon, your latest work looks great! The original was quite good too, but the new one is much better.

*Which is not to say that I find "sweet. loving, and soft" uninteresting!

ultimate_victoria_post_5.jpg
    1200 x 1200 - 604K
    Post edited by Scott Livingston on
  • gp139gp139 Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

sasje
    you are right it is like the sun is right over her head and washing any shadow she may have, there is nothing on the tank to show she is standing there, and I was thinking about putting more in the background, maybe a mountain or some smaller hover tanks flying over to give it some depth. and not have it be so bright, what do you think ?

edited December 1969

sasje
    you are right it is like the sun is right over her head and washing any shadow she may have, there is nothing on the tank to show she is standing there, and I was thinking about putting more in the background, maybe a mountain or some smaller hover tanks flying over to give it some depth. and not have it be so bright, what do you think ?

Sounds good. :)
    now try to fix the pose a little bit
    - the person a little closer the tank.
    - left leg a little more forward and stand a little bit more on tip toes .
    - bend the abdomen little bit, that the upper body is more straighten
    -Then fix the arms, neck and head.
  • kittenwyldekittenwylde Posts: 151
    edited December 1969

Well, that was fun. Just got done with a massive project: reinstalling Studio and all my content, with pesky work getting in the way of what's really important. But everything, program and content, works better now, and I'm ready to take on my re-imagining of my old image. If I make it through work, that is. ;-)
    @dune: Every time I look at your image, I think it would look pretty neat if the girl were leaning back against the tank, kind of draped across it.

• pfmnelson2012pfmnelson2012 Posts: 11
    edited December 1969

I don't know if i'm even posting to the right place -here goes-

I have only started in 3d art since getting Studo 4.5 in Nov 2012. Have spent my life trying to do other 2d art but never had the time to really do anything satisfactory.

So, found this contest and couldn't resist. Have tried to follow your suggestions and below is what I have learned over the last week or so.

Got Daz's Victoria 4.2 at Christmas and used the Bonnie face and texture from Von aka Winter200 and tried to dress her up in free clothes and hair from Arah3D and textures from Fictionalbookshelf. Saw the contest and knew I would need a background and thought the light I had put on her face lent itself well to FluffyKats free Flames.jpg since I dont have many props to build a scene with yet.

In the second snippet your syggestions on posing and lighting were taken to heart and since I love the trillions of positions that the hand can assume I have fallen in love with hand poses (again)- I decided to try and use 2 lights to highlight the left and right palms to give secondary focal points along with the dragon texture. That left no light on her face which suggested this whole thing in the first palce, so used a spotlight. Tried a couple of fill lights but deleted them.

In the 'Demo only' stuff I knew that DOF was going to be needed in post work with blurring the jpg and sharpening the main subjet. Also couldn't get the gloves to fit so did some 2d fix up along with a single sharp dot on the dress from the final .png render

You will see in the final image (which I know will be torn apart) I tried to follow the 9 squares you talk about - Flame 1, high lighted actual main subject 2, dead space with column as eye stopper 3, Hands & Dragon Texture in 4-5-6, even though it dosen;t look important the dark stairs, hem line and initials in 7 - 8 -9 all serve a similar purpose of forcing the viewers eye back to the 'paper airplanes' in the skirt, her hands, the dragon and ultimately the main subject {which my wife referred to as a Zeta-Jones person Maybe} {I laughingly refer to it as *A Study in Red and Orange* joking) Okay,below is the matted {yet unframed} conclusion to a lifetime of art observation and appreciation. I want to hear all you have to say to help me improve.

Goth_Dress_0_-_the_beginning.JPG
    254 x 399 - 12K
    Tempered_Goth_-_aka_-_A_Study_in_Red_and_Orange_-_Lighting_snippet.jpg
    346 x 350 - 25K
    Flames_DEMO_combined_.jpg
    464 x 384 - 167K
    Goth_Dress_Matted.jpg
    500 x 842 - 486K
  • edited December 1969

I can't believe how much I have learned! This activity has really shown me just how far I have come as well. As I have endured several crashes and a new computer seince starting my adventures in 3d, I had to look back at my old images saves to photobucket for this challenge. .
    I managed to find one I was working on that showed a lot of promise, even tho I didn't know about postwork, lighting, nor a lot of other things. These challenges have brought me a long ways.
    While the final image is still a WIP, and I have yet to do any kind of postwork, here is what I have so far:

rerun2.png
    415 x 470 - 227K
    reality_sceneVamp.png
    500 x 500 - 558K
    edited January 2013

I think lighting will make or break my image, but I want to concentrate on everything else first, so I loaded the old scene file, stripped the lights out*, adjusted the render settings, and rendered it. Other than that, this is exactly how I left it in April. Hey, I guess I'd already learned about depth-of-field, shaders, and kitbashing! I'm actually surprised the DOF looks as good as it does, since I didn't learn how to set it up properly until the summer...must have been beginner's luck, I guess.

Render time for the image below was 23 minutes, even without lights. To speed that up for future test renders, I may temporarily turn off DOF and use lower quality render settings.

I think the major areas to focus on are the composition, expression and pose, and the texture stretching on the Elven Cape. I'll propably also make some high-level changes to the set in order to facilitate a better composition.

I hope the mild butt nudity is okay...I know the rules on that have changed. Let me know, mods, if I need to cover her up a bit more.

*For the original, I had rendered several times using different light presets, then mixed the resulting images together in GIMP. The result is complex and interesting, but not, I think, entirely successful.

ultimatevictoria2a.jpg
    618 x 800 - 266K
    Post edited by Scott Livingston on
    edited January 2013

Getting closer to what I have in mind... tweaked some things this morning and uploaded the newer version. I'm liking this much more than the original so far. Feedback is welcome.

leena3sm.jpg
    600 x 800 - 242K
    Post edited by kittenwylde on
    edited December 1969

I don't know if i'm even posting to the right place -here goes-

I have only started in 3d art since getting Studo 4.5 in Nov 2012. Have spent my life trying to do other 2d art but never had the time to really do anything satisfactory.

So, found this contest and couldn't resist. Have tried to follow your suggestions and below is what I have learned over the last week or so.

Got Daz's Victoria 4.2 at Christmas and used the Bonnie face and texture from Von aka Winter200 and tried to dress her up in free clothes and hair from Arah3D and textures from Fictionalbookshelf. Saw the contest and knew I would need a background and thought the light I had put on her face lent itself well to FluffyKats free Flames.jpg since I dont have many props to build a scene with yet.

In the second snippet your syggestions on posing and lighting were taken to heart and since I love the trillions of positions that the hand can assume I have fallen in love with hand poses (again)- I decided to try and use 2 lights to highlight the left and right palms to give secondary focal points along with the dragon texture. That left no light on her face which suggested this whole thing in the first palce, so used a spotlight. Tried a couple of fill lights but deleted them.

In the 'Demo only' stuff I knew that DOF was going to be needed in post work with blurring the jpg and sharpening the main subjet. Also couldn't get the gloves to fit so did some 2d fix up along with a single sharp dot on the dress from the final .png render

You will see in the final image (which I know will be torn apart) I tried to follow the 9 squares you talk about - Flame 1, high lighted actual main subject 2, dead space with column as eye stopper 3, Hands & Dragon Texture in 4-5-6, even though it dosen;t look important the dark stairs, hem line and initials in 7 - 8 -9 all serve a similar purpose of forcing the viewers eye back to the 'paper airplanes' in the skirt, her hands, the dragon and ultimately the main subject {which my wife referred to as a Zeta-Jones person Maybe} {I laughingly refer to it as *A Study in Red and Orange* joking) Okay,below is the matted {yet unframed} conclusion to a lifetime of art observation and appreciation. I want to hear all you have to say to help me improve.

I like the picture, the background, the color, the light glow on her face.
    Nice work.
    Only one thing, is it the meaning that she is floating / flying in the air?
    edited December 1969

I can't believe how much I have learned! This activity has really shown me just how far I have come as well. As I have endured several crashes and a new computer seince starting my adventures in 3d, I had to look back at my old images saves to photobucket for this challenge. .
    I managed to find one I was working on that showed a lot of promise, even tho I didn't know about postwork, lighting, nor a lot of other things. These challenges have brought me a long ways.
    While the final image is still a WIP, and I have yet to do any kind of postwork, here is what I have so far:

Very nice picture, love the blue color.
    I don’t know if you used DOF in your picture, if not maybe you can play around with it and see if you like it.
    edited December 1969

Very nice Scott. sithkitten, i love the way you got a slight glow emitting from the orb onto the hands.

edited December 1969

Thanks :-) That was a real pain! Finally resorted to sticking a point light inside the orb.

edited December 1969

Good choice and nice job

edited December 1969

I agree, the orb looks great, and the glow on the hands and face is a nice effect. :)

edited December 1969

Thank You Sasje;
    She did seem to be higher than a kite. I had convinced myself she was just stepping down the stairs.
    Cropped the bottom of pic, reduced the overbearingly large initials, and enlarged the matting to give better balance.
    The other thing I really dislike is the shadow effect on her left arm but am really hesitant to mess with it - sometimes things like that are better left untouched. Here is the update;

Goth_Dress_Anchored.jpg
    540 x 844 - 450K
  • edited December 1969

Made a few changes and added a background.

Bluemoon, your latest work looks great! The original was quite good too, but the new one is much better.

Thank-you Scott, I always felt that it needed something beyond the temple ruins. I did the original on my old laptop and I was pushing to its limits with that scene.

sithkitten, love the orb and the nice light is is giving off.

pfmnelson2012, that's looking really nice.

Temple-04.jpg
    800 x 666 - 222K
    edited December 1969

Thank You Sasje;
    She did seem to be higher than a kite. I had convinced myself she was just stepping down the stairs.
    Cropped the bottom of pic, reduced the overbearingly large initials, and enlarged the matting to give better balance.
    The other thing I really dislike is the shadow effect on her left arm but am really hesitant to mess with it - sometimes things like that are better left untouched. Here is the update;

That's better, very nice :-)
    edited December 1969

bluemoon said:
    Made a few changes and added a background.

Thank-you Scott, I always felt that it needed something beyond the temple ruins. I did the original on my old laptop and I was pushing to its limits with that scene.

sithkitten, love the orb and the nice light is is giving off.

pfmnelson2012, that's looking really nice.

Great work :-)

• edited December 1969

Thanks Sasje.
    In this scene I was never really happy with the lighting, so I have redone it with more of a Sci-Fi theme.
    I only used uber Area Lights in this and did this to see how tings will look. Still needs work on the pose and camera to get it looking more like the first one.

RayGun-02ps.jpg
    800 x 566 - 229K
    ghe03.jpg
    724 x 800 - 192K
  • SzarkSzark Posts: 10,634
    edited December 1969

I love the first one bluemoon but yes you are the only one that counts when liking what you do...but for me I love everything about it. She stands out against the dark BKG, great expression and POV. We can be picky about our own images can't we. :)

• edited December 1969

Szark said:
    I love the first one bluemoon but yes you are the only one that counts when liking what you do...but for me I love everything about it. She stands out against the dark BKG, great expression and POV. We can be picky about our own images can't we. :)

You're right, I want to get the pose and camera angle close to the first one. It was only the lighting of the character that I wanted to do a better job on. :)
    In the first one I used about six lights on the character from all different angles so as not to get light spilling onto the back ground, I really went overboard with the lights in the second one losing sight of what I was doing. Sometimes I can't help myself, I love bright shiny things.:red:
    edited December 1969

Bluemoon - I really like both your images and please don't take offense at my suggestion on the second one - and that is all it is - just a suggestion. I really love the dragons yellow eye and the cloud filled sky in the previous one. Since purple is the complement to yellow i wonder what the grey clouds and blue on the masters outfit would look like in darker tones of purple or violet to draw even more attention to that somehow respectful eye - just wondering!

• gp139gp139 Posts: 0
    edited January 2013

hi
    this is what I came up with so far, at least this time I have shadows, and a little more in the background anyone let me know what you think

tank_.jpg
    800 x 800 - 269K
    Post edited by gp139 on
    edited December 1969

hi
    this is what I came up with so far, at least this time I have shadows, and a little more in the background anyone let me know what you think

So far so good. :-)
    The pose looks much better, now bent the right leg little bit upwards and bent the lower leg a little bit.
    Maybe to remove the first hover in the air
    If you have a street light or something, maybe you can put it in the back in front of the building.
    Try to use DOF in the back.
    About the light, it feels not right.
    Question witch program do you use?
    edited December 1969

Thanks for the comments, everyone! It's good to see everyone else's work as it transforms, too. I'm learning tons. Here's the current state of my image, after a few adjustments here and there with camera angles, expression, and lighting.

maybefinal.jpg
    600 x 800 - 211K