Old Dog New Tricks

Comments

• KnittingmommyKnittingmommy Posts: 8,191

I really love Spirit of the Dragon!  Excellent! 

Went to bed last night with a half cooked render, woke up today with a rebooted computer crying

I think it's time to go ebay shopping and upgrade the graphics card. I only have a gtx 750, need to pull out my motherboard manual and see if I can pop a 2nd gpu in 

Ah, that's a shame.  I have to admit having done that a time or two. 

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,049

Went to bed last night with a half cooked render, woke up today with a rebooted computer crying

I think it's time to go ebay shopping and upgrade the graphics card. I only have a gtx 750, need to pull out my motherboard manual and see if I can pop a 2nd gpu in 

I bet Windows Update rebooted your computer (If you are running Windows). It has done that to me before.

• deathbycanondeathbycanon Posts: 1,227
    barbult said:

I bet Windows Update rebooted your computer (If you are running Windows). It has done that to me before.

Maybe, it's the 2nd time this week!!! The last time it did say it had done updates, this time it said nothing..... Probably knew it was best just to keep quite. :D 

On the plus side my motherboard will hold two graphics cards, not the one I have though, but it would hold two 1080's :D Something about "crossfire capabilities" and other geek speak I don't really understand. I do understand "put this cable here and do this" which is how I managed to build the darn thing in the first place lol 

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,049

Make sure your power supply can handle the extra load of a second card.

barbult said:

Make sure your power supply can handle the extra load of a second card.

I'll probably just start out with the 1 upgrade, from the 750 to the 1080, then maybe add a 2nd one later. I put the CORSAIR CXM series CX750M 750W 80 + Bronze in it when I built it, it was over kill then and acording to parts builder it should be able to handle it..... 

What I was working on last night that rebooted, took it off a little early because I'm anxious to move on to the next project.  

• IceDragonArtIceDragonArt Posts: 12,548

Great point of view and sense of movement in the wind.  Love the feather flying away

Great point of view and sense of movement in the wind.  Love the feather flying away

Thanks

Last nights render. Still learning how to pose hair and these wings. 

Nice! Wings are tough sometimes.   You did pretty good. :)

Nice! Wings are tough sometimes.   You did pretty good. :)

Thanks, I'm getting there. :)

Tonight I'm working on expressions, I really hate doing them. I'm also trying to get that grungy toned black and white look, harder to do with renders then with real photos

edited March 2017

Even though the image I was inspired by ofr this expression was one of those high detailed grunge images, I think I like this softer version better.

Post edited by deathbycanon on

My latest, working on multipule charicters and interaction in a scene. I think her face could be lighter, and the expression could be better.... more practice, more practice, more practice. :) 

I should have went back in and reposed the hands but the render took forever and I didn't want to restart it...... Maybe after I get a better graphics card. 

Straight render -except to brighten the center a bit. 

I actually like both of the expression renders, they are very different but both convey emotion very well.  The horse one is just great composition, something that I am still working on.  Your work always has such a great point of view, it makes me want to experiment more with different angles in a render, something I often forget to do.

I am not paritucularly fond of posing faces hands and feet at all.  A necessary evil as far as I am concerned lol.

I actually like both of the expression renders, they are very different but both convey emotion very well.  The horse one is just great composition, something that I am still working on.  Your work always has such a great point of view, it makes me want to experiment more with different angles in a render, something I often forget to do.

I am not paritucularly fond of posing faces hands and feet at all.  A necessary evil as far as I am concerned lol.

Thanks Sonja, I'm trying lol This program is such a challange and always something new to learn - and so much to remember to do for each render. 

edited March 2017

More expressive portraiture practice. This time I used Darwin's Diesel 

Oh, that's a great one of Diesel!  You should post that in the Michael and Friends thread.  I love the look.  :)

Oh, that's a great one of Diesel!  You should post that in the Michael and Friends thread.  I love the look.  :)

Thanks, I will! 

Another one of Diesel :) 

• TabascoJackTabascoJack Posts: 865

Very nice......You're going to have to share some of your photoshop tips....  laugh

edited March 2017

Very nice......You're going to have to share some of your photoshop tips....  laugh

Thanks Jack, anytime!

For this one all the rain brushes came from Ron's Rain Brushes. The trick is you can't just smack one down and expect it to look right. You put one in the background (actually over the background but behind your figure) - blur it, fade it - put it into something like overlay or soft light or screen. Put one over the top of everything, fade it, but not as much as the last layer, mess with the layer type on that too. Then over that, take one with just a few steaks, that's a bit bigger and do that one, leave it a little brighter still but maybe blur just a touch - that gives you your background, mid ground and foreground rain. (mid-ground being where your focal point is) Add splatters to any surface that rain would splatter on - horizontal surfaces, water running on vertical surfaces - you can also do drips off high horizontal areas where they dip lower - and Ron has all these things in his Rain brush pack! 

That's what makes it look so real.  Not just the layers but the splashes, especially on his wings and bodies. It's that one last piece of realism that does it.  This is gorgeous!

Very nicely done! I have been trying to render just some figures with a transparent background so I can practice more with postwork and creative techniques in Gimp.  My hope is that I get better with postwork someday.  Not everything I try is very successful.  However, there a lot of Photoshop and Gimp tutorials for me to work through in the hope that my skills improve.  I love your tips.  I'll have to try those, too.

That's what makes it look so real.  Not just the layers but the splashes, especially on his wings and bodies. It's that one last piece of realism that does it.  This is gorgeous!

Thanks, rain is always fun to do and it can really adds to the atmosphere of a piece.

Very nicely done! I have been trying to render just some figures with a transparent background so I can practice more with postwork and creative techniques in Gimp.  My hope is that I get better with postwork someday.  Not everything I try is very successful.  However, there a lot of Photoshop and Gimp tutorials for me to work through in the hope that my skills improve.  I love your tips.  I'll have to try those, too.

We're opposites, I'm way more comfortable in Photoshop then in Daz, so I love leaving things on transparent backgrounds and doing post work. There are thousands of great video tutorials out there, the hardest part I bet is finding time. I just started in Daz and it's soooo addicting, who wants to do anything else! lol 

edited March 2017

Soooo I have been playing with all my March madness purchases and I sort of put my character on the back burner, The make up thing was making me crazy, but sometimes if I take a break, when I come back to it, it all comes together. So here she is - with makeup!!! I'm not sure the lips are right - they may be off a bit.... but she's getting there!!!! 

I really need to do some body morphs on her, but I have some research to do on that 1st. 

Shnn1.jpg
    700 x 1000 - 477K

Nicely done!

• ArtiniArtini Posts: 8,523

Wow, lots of great images here. You are very talented.

She looks great.  I think the makeup works, too.  :)

edited March 2017

Nicely done!

Artini said:

Wow, lots of great images here. You are very talented.

She looks great.  I think the makeup works, too.  :)

Thanks everyone! 

I need to figure out body morphs and how they work. Some require that other people also have the morphs, others don't. I need to figure out how to tell which is which in my morph dials. Then figure out how to save it. So much learning.....