Is there a SSS guide for dummies.

JohnDelaquioxJohnDelaquiox Posts: 1,184
edited December 1969 in The Commons

I have to be missing something because I am unable to see the SSS area under diffuse in the surface tab.

So is there an SSS guide for dummies

Comments

• SzarkSzark Posts: 10,634
    edited December 1969

I have to be missing something because I am unable to see the SSS area under diffuse in the surface tab.

So is there an SSS guide for dummies

SSS is not part of the Daz Studio Default Shader but part of HSS (Human Skin Shader), Uber Surface which ae both part of Daz Studio found in the Content Library Pane (NOT SMART CONTENT) under Daz Studio Formats > My Library > Shader Presets > omnifreaker >

WHen loading these shaders and you wnat to retain the original texture maps hold down Ctrl while double clicking on the presets, then for the Map Settings choose "Ignore".

Besides the help icons found in the same place as the shaders there isn't much in the way of diffinitive facts about what each channel does or how it works. But if you use Google to search you should come up with some information scatered here and there.

• JohnDelaquioxJohnDelaquiox Posts: 1,184
    edited December 1969

Thank you both!

• SpitSpit Posts: 2,342
    edited December 1969

pwSurface also has SSS but it's extra. Under Studio 2 there was a scripted help function with good interactive explanations of all the parameters. I think it broke in later versions and never recovered though the updated shaders work fine. What I had the most trouble with, in a general SSS sense, was choosing the proper scattering color.

• ReDaveReDave Posts: 815
    edited December 1969

@Spit: I don't have the pwSurface, but in general scattering is the opposite of the colour you wish to come out. So for human skin it would be some sort of teal/blue (i.e. mostly blue, middle green and least amount of red).

edited December 1969

Thanks, reDave! That's a big help!

• KeryaKerya Posts: 10,943
    edited December 1969

ReDave said:
    @Spit: I don't have the pwSurface, but in general scattering is the opposite of the colour you wish to come out. So for human skin it would be some sort of teal/blue (i.e. mostly blue, middle green and least amount of red).

Is that why Poser renders with SSS often have a blue mouth syndrome?

• ReDaveReDave Posts: 815
    edited January 2013

Sorry Kerya, no idea! But it's certainly possible. Is that SSS in Poser 9 or older versions too? I have P6 and P8 only.

Post edited by ReDave on
  • RawArtRawArt Posts: 5,748
    edited December 1969

Not sure if this is what you are looking for, but I wrote this for putting together sss in d/s.
    http://rawart3d.deviantart.com/gallery/37253370#/d52mlpi

To get the options in your shader tab, you have to go to "Presets/omnifreaker/HumanSurface" and apply it to your figure first.
    (or simply apply textures that use it)

Rawn

• KeryaKerya Posts: 10,943
    edited January 2013

Real SSS is only P9 up.

Older versions of Poser only had faked SSS called Fast Scatter.
    Nice faked SSS on humans for free by Bagginsbill:
    https://sites.google.com/site/poserbagginsbill/vsshomepage

Edited to add: this was an answer to ReDave's question about SSS in Poser

Post edited by Kerya on
    edited December 1969

RawArt said:
    Not sure if this is what you are looking for, but I wrote this for putting together sss in d/s.
    http://rawart3d.deviantart.com/gallery/37253370#/d52mlpi

To get the options in your shader tab, you have to go to "Presets/omnifreaker/HumanSurface" and apply it to your figure first.
    (or simply apply textures that use it)

Rawn

Thanks for weighing in. I read your tute, thank you. Interesting that you also used velvet. Nice idea.